Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 23:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

As it is with traditional pharmacies, on-line drugstores

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
2 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [2] , given: 0

As it is with traditional pharmacies, on-line drugstores [#permalink] New post 10 Nov 2005, 21:09
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
As it is with traditional pharmacies, on-line drugstores rely on prescriptions to be successful, since it is primarily prescriptions that attract the customers, who then also buy other health-related items.

A. As it is with traditional pharmacies, on-line drugstores rely on prescriptions to be successful
B. As with the case of traditional pharmacies, on-line drugstores rely on prescriptions to have success
C. As is the case with traditional pharmacies, prescriptions are the cornerstone of a successful on-line drugstore
D. As traditional pharmacies, so on-line drugstores rely on prescriptions to be successful
E. Like traditional pharmacies, the cornerstone of a successful on-line drugstore is prescriptions
[Reveal] Spoiler:
OA C

Last edited by doe007 on 04 May 2013, 20:41, edited 1 time in total.
OA Added and Topic name updated
Manager
Manager
Schools: LBS '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 650 Q44 V35
WE: Corporate Finance (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 7

Re: SC:AS [#permalink] New post 27 Apr 2012, 05:51
D

As X, so Y - is a parallel structure. We compare traditional pharmacies with online drug stores.

I do not see any parallelism in C. we cannot compare case of traditional pharmacies with prescriptions.

What is OA?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 20

Reviews Badge
Re: SC:AS [#permalink] New post 27 Apr 2012, 10:53
samatace wrote:
C it is. Do not know why1

construction i marked above is common for such usage

Last edited by vikram4689 on 27 Apr 2012, 10:54, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 20

Reviews Badge
Re: SC:AS [#permalink] New post 27 Apr 2012, 10:54
JubtaGubar wrote:
D

As X, so Y - is a parallel structure. We compare traditional pharmacies with online drug stores.

I do not see any parallelism in C. we cannot compare case of traditional pharmacies with prescriptions.

What is OA?

C is OA,
As X, so Y --- X,Y are clauses here but in case at hand X is noun

I hope it clears the doubt
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 4

Re: SC:AS [#permalink] New post 27 Apr 2012, 11:07
C in my opinion... Can the OP post the OA?
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 680 Q51 V29
GPA: 3.94

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: SC:AS [#permalink] New post 13 Jun 2012, 23:34
IMO C,
since it correctly modifies prescriptions.
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.7
WE: Consulting (Insurance)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 3

"AS" in comparisons [#permalink] New post 22 Sep 2012, 13:32
I've gone through many study materials for "As" Vs "Like" and was comfortable with this topic till I saw this post.

As is the case with traditional pharmacies, prescriptions are the cornerstone of a successful on line drugstore, since it is primarily prescriptions that attract the customers, who then also buy other health-related items.

This is given as correct answer and I've no questions around it. But one of the incorrect answers is given is "As with the case of traditional pharmacies, on-line drugstores rely on prescriptions to have success" . I know this choice is incorrect but my question is can a prepositional phrase follow "AS" when "AS" is used for comparison? My understanding is that as long as "AS" is used for comparison it has to be followed by a clause only, if a Prepositional Phrase example "with the case of pharmacies" it has to be incorrect. But nobody mentioned this in the reasons why this choice is incorrect and so I'm little confused.

Please help!!!!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 146 [0], given: 70

Re: SC:AS [#permalink] New post 04 May 2013, 20:29
All duplicate threads on this topic have been merged.

Please read and follow the Guidelines for Posting in Verbal GMAT forum before posting anything.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 36

Re: [#permalink] New post 29 May 2013, 12:31
How about the use of "Since ...Have" clause in Option C. I see only B has this. Can someone please clarify?

Maadhu

MGMAT1 - 540 ( Trying to improve )

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 36

Re: Re: [#permalink] New post 29 May 2013, 12:52
Zarrolou wrote:
maaadhu wrote:
How about the use of "Since ...Have" clause in Option C. I see only B has this. Can someone please clarify?

"Since" has two main usage:

1) It could mean "from then till now": Since 1990, the prices have increased.
In this case the meaning of the sentence is : the action "prices have increased" started in the past and its effects/consequences are still visible in the present.
In this case Present Perfect is the correct tense to express the meaning.

2)It could stand for "because": Since you're already here, you might as well stay.
In this sentence "since" is used as conjunction, not as an adverb (as above). The above concept does not apply here.

Hope it's clear

Thank You. Kudos to you for clarifying my confusion.

Maadhu

MGMAT1 - 540 ( Trying to improve )

Director
Director
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 313 [0], given: 543

Re: SC:AS [#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2013, 07:46
egmat wrote:
Hi All,

As it is with traditional pharmacies, online drugstores rely on prescriptions to be successful, since it is primarily prescriptions that attract the customers, who then buy other health-related items.

On reading the sentence carefully, we know that this sentence presents a comparison. The intended comparison is between traditional pharmacies and online drugstores. The point of comparison is that just like traditional pharmacies, online drugstores also depend upon the success of prescriptions for the said reason.
Since there is a comparison in this sentence, we can use either “LIKE + Noun” or “AS + Clause”. Let’s run the POE.

POE

A) As it is with traditional pharmacies, online drugstores rely on prescriptions to be successful: Incorrect. Pronoun “it” is referring to the entire clause “online drugstores rely on prescriptions to be successful”. This is incorrect because a pronoun can only refer to a noun or a pronoun.

B) As with the case of traditional pharmacies, online drugstores rely on prescriptions to have success: Incorrect. Since “as” has been used for comparison in this choice, it must be followed by a clause. But “with the case of traditional pharmacies” is a prepositional phrase and not a clause.

C) As is the case with traditional pharmacies, prescriptions are the cornerstone of a successful online drugstore: Correct. “As” is followed by a clause. Also, this choice maintains the parallelism by using “is” and “are”. What is the case with traditional pharmacies? It is that prescriptions are the cornerstone for their success. Hence, the comparison is parallel here.

D) As traditional pharmacies, so online drugstores rely on prescriptions to be successful: Incorrect. “As” is not followed by a clause.

E) Like traditional pharmacies, the cornerstone of a successful online drugstore is prescriptions: Incorrect. This choice presents illogical comparison. Here “traditional pharmacies” have been compared to “the cornerstone”. Also, use of “so” is not correct.

1. In comparisons, “like” must be followed by a NOUN.
2. In comparisons, “as” must be followed by a CLAUSE.
3. Pronouns can only refer to nouns and other pronouns.
4. Comparison should always be logical.

Hope this helps. Thanks.
Shraddha

Really great explanation!! wish I could give bonus kudos for this wonderful post

Click +1 Kudos if my post helped...

Amazing Free video explanation for all Quant questions from OG 13 and much more http://www.gmatquantum.com/og13th/

GMAT Prep software What if scenarios gmat-prep-software-analysis-and-what-if-scenarios-146146.html

Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT Date: 10-04-2013
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 13

Re: As it is with traditional pharmacies, on-line drugstores [#permalink] New post 04 Sep 2013, 12:33
Correct Answer C.
Wrong comparison in option A,B,D,E.
"Like" is used to compare noun/noun phrase and "As" is used to compare clauses

Last edited by mohit879 on 04 Sep 2013, 22:01, edited 1 time in total.
Current Student
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.6
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 613 [0], given: 197

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: As it is with traditional pharmacies, on-line drugstores [#permalink] New post 04 Sep 2013, 12:43
mohit879 wrote:
Correct Answer C.
Wrong comparison in option A,B,D,E.
"Like" is used to compare noun and "As" is used to compare noun phrase.

hi
sorry to say..but wanted to correct you.

LIKE is used to compare NOUN/NOUN PHRASE....but not CLAUSE OR PREPOSITIONAL PHRASES.

in option C we have a clause and not NOUN phrase.
As is the case with traditional pharmacies, prescriptions are the cornerstone of a successful online drugstore

THE CASE: SUBJECT
IS: VERB

hope it helps

When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe ...then you will be successfull....

GIVE VALUE TO OFFICIAL QUESTIONS...

GMAT RCs VOCABULARY LIST: vocabulary-list-for-gmat-reading-comprehension-155228.html
learn AWA writing techniques while watching video : http://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat- ... assessment
: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APt9ITygGss

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 291

Re: As it is with traditional pharmacies, on-line drugstores [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2013, 02:23
The low success rate of the question made me shift towards D for a bit. I got C straightaway. :teleport
Re: As it is with traditional pharmacies, on-line drugstores   [#permalink] 03 Dec 2013, 02:23