Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 15 Apr 2014, 20:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

As it is with traditional pharmacies, on-line drugstores

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
As it is with traditional pharmacies, on-line drugstores [#permalink] New post 10 Nov 2005, 21:09
This post received
KUDOS
As it is with traditional pharmacies, on-line drugstores rely on prescriptions to be successful, since it is primarily prescriptions that attract the customers, who then also buy other health-related items.

A. As it is with traditional pharmacies, on-line drugstores rely on prescriptions to be successful
B. As with the case of traditional pharmacies, on-line drugstores rely on prescriptions to have success
C. As is the case with traditional pharmacies, prescriptions are the cornerstone of a successful on-line drugstore
D. As traditional pharmacies, so on-line drugstores rely on prescriptions to be successful
E. Like traditional pharmacies, the cornerstone of a successful on-line drugstore is prescriptions
[Reveal] Spoiler:
OA C

Last edited by doe007 on 04 May 2013, 20:41, edited 1 time in total.
OA Added and Topic name updated
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2007, 01:44
I will go with A.
B. enging with to have success, does not go well with rest of the sentence
C. Prescriptionns are : 'are' is wrong
D. As..So.. is incorrect usage
E. Like is incorrect usage
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2007, 21:56
I got A as well...but since I took the GMAT PREP today, I know this is incorrect.

Looking for someone to provide a solid explanation...
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2007, 22:10
the other only answer choice that would make sense is C

C) As is the case with traditional pharmacies, prescriptions are the cornerstone of a successful on-line drugstore, since it is primarily prescriptions that attract the customers, who then also buy other health-related items.

Edit: I guess the focus here is on the prescriptions and not on the pharmacy/drugstore.

Anybody else with any thoughts?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2007, 22:19
beckee529 wrote:

C) As is the case with traditional pharmacies, prescriptions are the cornerstone of a successful on-line drugstore, since it is primarily prescriptions that attract the customers, who then also buy other health-related items.

one queston here....doesnt answer choice C have a misplaced modifier?... Tradtional pharmacies should have a comparable noun...online drug stores??

I believe it is A....

FP
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2007, 22:25
I agree, I believe A would be the best choice but why is it wrong?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2007, 23:10
Guys please give the OA in a day's time... this is just denying the folks the right answer and perhaps a better alternative explanation!!

Please dreamgmat1 can you put the OA...and of course you would have got the explanation?

And please follow up on future threads also...

FP
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2007, 14:24
OA is C according to GMATPrep. Boooo!!!
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2007, 20:25
Finding Perdition wrote:
beckee529 wrote:

one queston here....doesnt answer choice C have a misplaced modifier?... Tradtional pharmacies should have a comparable noun...online drug stores??

I believe it is A....

FP

For choice C, I don't think that we are directly comparing traditional pharmacies with online drug stores
SVP
SVP
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 152 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
As it is with traditional pharmacies, on-line drugstores [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2007, 13:58
As it is with traditional pharmacies, on-line drugstores rely on prescriptions to be successful, since it is primarily prescriptions that attract the customers, who then also buy other health-related items.

a) As it is with traditional pharmacies, on-line drugstores rely on prescriptions to be successful

b) As with the case of traditional pharmacies, on-line drugstores rely on prescriptions to have success

c) As is the case with the traditional pharmacies, prescriptions are the cornerstone of a successful on-line drugstore

d) As traditional pharmacies, so on-line drugstores rely on prescriptions to be successful.

e) Like traditional pharmacies, the cornerstone of a successful on-line drugstore is prescriptions

Please explain your reason for your choice.

regards,
SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2007, 14:33
E is incorrect.

Like traditional pharmacies, the cornerstone?? E makes cornerstone similar to traditional pharmacies, a comparison of irrelevant nouns. you have to compare things that are similar.

i don't understand the usage of "as" in this question. if anyone understands the grammatical construction used here, i'm really interested to know.
regards
CEO
CEO
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 167 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC- "As" [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2007, 15:50
tarek99 wrote:

a) As it is with traditional pharmacies, on-line drugstores rely on prescriptions to be successful

b) As with the case of traditional pharmacies, on-line drugstores rely on prescriptions to have success

c) As is the case with the traditional pharmacies, prescriptions are the cornerstone of a successful on-line drugstore

d) As traditional pharmacies, so on-line drugstores rely on prescriptions to be successful.

e) Like traditional pharmacies, the cornerstone of a successful on-line drugstore is prescriptions

regards,

I think its D

A: as it is... seems incorrect. but this would be my next guess.
B: same thing as A. I don't really know why, but I feel this is incorrect.
C: improper comparison
E: improper comparison, traditional pharamcies w/ the cornerstone is incorrect.
SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2007, 15:55
OA is C. but i also don't understand how. if you can figure out how, i would love to know! :)
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC- "As" [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2007, 16:46
tarek99 wrote:

regards,

(E) Like - compares noun or noun clauses
First subordindate clause - traitional pharmacies - noun clause
Cannot find another noun or noun clause for comparison - incorrect

(D) As and so are prepostions, there should a verb next to them to connect to a noun or noun clause - incorrect
(not sure if this is acceptable)

(C) changes the orignal meaning - incorrect

(B) drug stores - plural & to have - plural - incorrect
Director
Director
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 83 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2007, 16:59
C indeed

Its all about correct comparison

As it is with traditional pharmacies, on-line drugstores rely on prescriptions to be successful, since it is primarily prescriptions that attract the customers, who then also buy other health-related items

a) As it is with traditional pharmacies, on-line drugstores rely on prescriptions to be successful ( . ( online drugstores is compared with phenomenon and not with the pharmacies)

b) As with the case of traditional pharmacies, on-line drugstores rely on prescriptions to have success (online drugstore is compared with the case)

c) As is the case with the traditional pharmacies, prescriptions are the cornerstone of a successful on-line drugstore ( here prescription are the cornerstond of a success is also a case with the traditional pharmacies)
d) As traditional pharmacies, so on-line drugstores rely on prescriptions to be successful. ( as...so unidiomatic)

e) Like traditional pharmacies, the cornerstone of a successful on-line drugstore is prescriptions ( traditional pharmacies with cornerstone of a success - wrong comparison)

Amar
SVP
SVP
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 389 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2007, 21:35
Amardeep Sharma wrote:
C indeed

Its all about correct comparison

As it is with traditional pharmacies, on-line drugstores rely on prescriptions to be successful, since it is primarily prescriptions that attract the customers, who then also buy other health-related items

a) As it is with traditional pharmacies, on-line drugstores rely on prescriptions to be successful ( . ( online drugstores is compared with phenomenon and not with the pharmacies)

b) As with the case of traditional pharmacies, on-line drugstores rely on prescriptions to have success (online drugstore is compared with the case)

c) As is the case with the traditional pharmacies, prescriptions are the cornerstone of a successful on-line drugstore ( here prescription are the cornerstond of a success is also a case with the traditional pharmacies)
d) As traditional pharmacies, so on-line drugstores rely on prescriptions to be successful. ( as...so unidiomatic)

e) Like traditional pharmacies, the cornerstone of a successful on-line drugstore is prescriptions ( traditional pharmacies with cornerstone of a success - wrong comparison)

Amar

Thanks Amar!! Its clear now.

Is it valid sentence if I remove the "so" in statement d)

As traditional pharmacies, on-line drugstores rely on prescriptions to be successful.
Director
Director
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 83 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2007, 02:49
No it wont be... traditional pharmacies and online stores are nouns so use like instead of as.

For more clarification:

Like vs. As

• The word like is used to compare two nouns.
• The word as is used to compare two clauses.
• Do not use like when you mean for example. Instead, use the phrase such as.

hope this clarifies

Amar
SVP
SVP
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 389 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2007, 12:16
Amardeep Sharma wrote:
No it wont be... traditional pharmacies and online stores are nouns so use like instead of as.

For more clarification:

Like vs. As

• The word like is used to compare two nouns.
• The word as is used to compare two clauses.
• Do not use like when you mean for example. Instead, use the phrase such as.

hope this clarifies

Amar

Thanks for good explanation!!!!

-- Is following sentense correct? comparing the two nouns
Like traditional pharmacies, on-line drugstores rely on prescriptions to be successful.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 55 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
As it is with traditional pharmacies, online drugstores rely [#permalink] New post 22 May 2008, 20:58
As it is with traditional pharmacies, online drugstores rely on prescriptions to be successful, since it is primarily prescriptions that attract the customers, who then also buy other health-related items.

A. As it is with traditional pharmacies, online drugstores rely on prescriptions to be successful
B. As with the case of traditional pharmacies, online drugstores rely on prescriptions to have success
C. As is the case with traditional pharmacies, prescriptions are the cornerstone of a successful online drugstore
D. As traditional pharmacies, so online drugstores rely on prescriptions to be successful
E. Like traditional pharmacies, the cornerstone of a successful online drugstore is prescriptions

Please leave your explanation and tell more about IT ( since it is primarily).
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 55 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC: Like vs. As [#permalink] New post 22 May 2008, 21:07
IF I revise A (eliminate IT) like this :
As is with traditional pharmacies, online drugstores rely on prescriptions to be successful

What will happen?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC: Like vs. As [#permalink] New post 25 May 2008, 06:39
I believe this is a test for modifier. We have to pay attention what 'modifer phrase' is trying to modify...
All seems to have some modifier issues except C. For instance:

In A) 'As it is with traditional pharmacies' can not be expected to work on 'online drugstore' Yes if, instead, we had 'Like trad pharmacies, online drugstore...'
Re: SC: Like vs. As   [#permalink] 25 May 2008, 06:39