Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 14:24 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 14:24

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3066 [50]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1574 [5]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [5]
Given Kudos: 36
Send PM
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 193 [5]
Concentration: Consulting, Marketing
Schools:Tuck, Ross (R1), Duke, Tepper, ISB (R2), Kenan Flagler (R2)
 Q49  V38
Send PM
Re: As measured by the Commerce Department, corporate profits peaked in th [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Its A.
I think "since then" goes well with a present perfect tense because since indicates that the process is will continuing.
Additionally, B and C out being "being" :-D
In D, the construction of the clause, many companies unable to pass on higher costs, is awkward.
In E, there is present continuous with slipping and 'were' which is past tense.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1250 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools:University of Chicago, Wharton School
Send PM
Re: As measured by the Commerce Department, corporate profits peaked in th [#permalink]
Bookmarks
eyunni wrote:
131. As measured by the Commerce Department, corporate profits peaked in the fourth quarter of 1988 and have slipped since then, as many companies have been unable to pass on higher costs.

(A) and have slipped since then, as many companies have been unable to pass on higher costs
(B) and have slipped since then, the reason being because many companies have been unable to pass on higher costs
(C) and slipped since then, many companies being unable to pass on higher costs
(D) but, many companies unable to pass on higher costs, they have slipped since then
(E) yet are slipping since then, because many companies were unable to pass on higher costs

A. another error free.

present perfect: have need with since.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3066 [0]
Send PM
Would (C) be right if it is rephrased as

C) and slipped since then, as many companies were unable to pass on higher costs

the other choices remaining the same?
(A) and have slipped since then, as many companies have been unable to pass on higher costs
(B) and have slipped since then, the reason being because many companies have been unable to pass on higher costs
(D) but, many companies unable to pass on higher costs, they have slipped since then
(E) yet are slipping since then, because many companies were unable to pass on higher costs
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2722 [3]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
As measured by the Commerce Department, corporate profits peaked in the fourth quarter of 1988 [url]and have slipped since then, as many companies have been unable to pass on higher costs[/url]
A) and have slipped since then, as many companies have been unable to pass on higher costs

I saw this question in many forums, everybody is saying that option A is the answer . The phrases "peaked" and " have sllipped" are not in parallel farm,then it coouldn't be the answer. Among the options the sentences with the usage of "being" is better than the sentences with wrong parallel construction. so , the answer could be option C. please correct me if my reasoning is wrong.

Originally posted by TomB on 17 May 2010, 15:51.
Last edited by TomB on 17 May 2010, 22:00, edited 2 times in total.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 517 [3]
Given Kudos: 31
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
TomB wrote:
As measured by the Commerce Department, corporate profits peaked in the fourth quarter of 1988 [/u]and have slipped since then, as many companies have been unable to pass on higher costs

A) and have slipped since then, as many companies have been unable to pass on higher costs

I saw this question in many forums, everybody is saying that option A is the answer . The phrases "peaked" and " have sllipped" are not in parallel farm,then it coouldn't be the answer. Among the options the sentences with the usage of "being" is better than the sentences with wrong parallel construction. so , the answer could be option C. please correct me if my reasoning is wrong.

The sentence is dealing with time. "profits peaked" past and "have slipped" present as the sentence is saying "have slipped" with an implied continue to slip.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1007 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
TomB wrote:
As measured by the Commerce Department, corporate profits peaked in the fourth quarter of 1988 [url]and have slipped since then, as many companies have been unable to pass on higher costs[/url]

None of the options make any sense other than A. Besides, 'peaked' indicates that the action is over and 'have slipped' indicates that the action is ongoing, as indicated by the above poster.

On a side-note, please underline your questions. It will help others in viewing the questions and consequently you will get more replies.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 58 [4]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Strategy
Schools:Ross 2013
GPA: 3.85
WE 1: Pharmaceutical industry 5 years, C level
Send PM
Kudos