Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 13:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

As of this morning, none of my friends have been able to

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

As of this morning, none of my friends have been able to [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2011, 00:10
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

66% (01:32) correct 34% (00:41) wrong based on 118 sessions
As of this morning, none of my friends have been able to solve the puzzle contained in last week's newspaper.

A. none of my friends have been able to solve
B. none of my friends was able to solve
C. not one of my friends has yet been able to solve
D. none of my friends has been able to solve
E. nobody among my friends have solved

The answer of this question is D. However, this answer conflicts with the concept of MGMAT SANAM Pronouns. If anyone has tackled this question earlier, please let me know why the answer to this question is D and not A?
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Current Student
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V45
GPA: 3.37
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 153 [0], given: 5

Re: Query regarding the usage of "NONE" in GMAT [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2011, 04:42
Hmm, it does seem like "none of my friends" should be plural.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 20

Re: Query regarding the usage of "NONE" in GMAT [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2011, 05:26
if u see MGMAT guide on the same page where it discusses SANAM pronouns, the last sentence reads,

technically, none of +plural noun cn take either a singular or plural verb form.

The only place where success comes before work is in the dictionary.

If my post made you think, KUDO it. Its easy :D

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 267

Kudos [?]: 1701 [1] , given: 249

Premium Member
Re: Query regarding the usage of "NONE" in GMAT [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2011, 06:04
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Look at the following OG 12 question. Note that none of plural X takes a singular verb ‘explains’, which is not underlined. Now you know the inkling of GMAT. With due reverence to MGMAT, as far as I see, in the Independent kingdom of GMAT, 'none' is singular...... unless somebody comes up with the opposite view citing an appropriate GMAC example.

None of the attempts to specify the causes of crime explains why most of the people exposed to the alleged causes do not commit crimes and, conversely, Why so many of those not so exposed have.
(A) Have
(B) Has
(C) Shall
(D) Do
(E) Could

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Re: Query regarding the usage of "NONE" in GMAT [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2011, 06:38
Thanks daagh.

Even though the MGMAT says that NONE will go along with both singular and plural verbs,based on the nouns used in the OF-Phrase, I will stick to NONE with singular usage...

I guess, these guys have started to treat NONE phrases as a compound noun.. Here "None of the attempts to specify the causes of crime" is acting as a compound sentence; therefore, a singular verb is used.

Please correct me IF I am wrong.
Expert Post
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 267

Kudos [?]: 1701 [0], given: 249

Premium Member
Re: Query regarding the usage of "NONE" in GMAT [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2011, 07:53
Expert's post
Quote:
I guess, these guys have started to treat NONE phrases as a compound noun.. Here "None of the attempts to specify the causes of crime" is acting as a compound sentence; therefore, a singular verb is used.
Please correct me IF I am wrong.

Sorry dragaonball:

You have misunderstood the concept of both compound nouns and compound sentences. A compound noun is one in which there will more than one noun and those two or more nouns will be connected by the conjunction ‘and’. I repeat compound nouns will have to be connected by ‘and’. As a thumb rule compound nouns are always plural.

E.g.: Tom and Dick ‘
Tom, Dick and Harry.

A compound sentence is one that has either two independent clauses or more joined by a conjunction ‘and’.
Eg; I went to New York. My brother went to Tokyo – Two independent sentences are standing alone with their own subjects and verbs but punctuated by a period. This is not a compound sentence,

I went to New York and my brother went to Tokyo; this is a compound sentence because there are two independent sentences and both are conjugated by the connector ‘and’.

Along with this please also understand the structure of complex sentences and their essentials such as how to punctuate them, how to conjugate them etc, and you can eliminate many style errors such as fragments or run - ons in GMAT SC

In your question, since ‘none of plural’ does not have the conjunction ‘and’, there is no compound noun or sentence involved.

Last edited by daagh on 28 Mar 2011, 16:22, edited 2 times in total.
Intern
Intern

Re: Query regarding the usage of "NONE" in GMAT [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2011, 08:29
Thanks for the explanation Daagh
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 18

Re: Query regarding the usage of "NONE" in GMAT [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2011, 17:43
I will go with daagh, but this is confusing. If MGMAT says the none of + plural noun can take both singular or plural, and GMAT takes singular, looks like singular is favorite.
SVP
SVP
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Followers: 31

Kudos [?]: 299 [0], given: 36

Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Query regarding the usage of "NONE" in GMAT [#permalink] New post 14 Apr 2011, 21:34
MGMAT also says when in confusion, think singular :).

Formula of Life -> Achievement/Potential = k * Happiness (where k is a constant)

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 11 [1] , given: 42

Re: Query regarding the usage of "NONE" in GMAT [#permalink] New post 14 Apr 2011, 22:08
This post received
KUDOS
hey guys,
i just saw this quote from Ron from some other forum.i think this will settle the argument about usage of "none" from GMAT PoV.

Quote:
(there are poetic uses in which "many a NOUN" is used as a singular construction -- for instance, many a soldier was killed, but the army marched on -- but you will not see such poetic uses on the test.)

--

weirdly enough, i don't think that the "none" issue has ever actually been tested, nor do i think it ever will be tested.

the "none" issue is tested
* exactly 0 times in GMAT PREP
* exactly 0 times in OG11
* exactly 0 times in OG12
* exactly 0 times in OG verbal supplement 2nd ed

... so, well, i don't think that we should worry about it. to me, it's quite obvious that gmac is avoiding testing this concept entirely, because it's just too controversial.

for what it's worth, because i like to data-mine:

* in the official SC problems, ALL uses of "none" are singular. NONE of them is (heh) ever tested.
witness:
- OG12 #4 ("none is/was" -- all singular)
- OG12 #22 ("none explains" -- non-underlined; singular)
- OG Verbal 2nd answer explanation #79 ("none appears in...")

* on the other hand, "none" is plural in some CR and RC passages/choices. it's tempting to think that the authors of the CR and RC passages just don't care as much about such minutiae, but, i think, it's still somewhat important to notice them:
- passage on p398 of OG12 ("none of these high-technology methods are of any value")
- OG12 CR #118 ("None of Northern Air’s competitors that use Belleville Airport are considering...")
SVP
SVP
Followers: 277

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: As of this morning, none of my friends have been able to [#permalink] New post 24 Dec 2013, 14:02
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: As of this morning, none of my friends have been able to   [#permalink] 24 Dec 2013, 14:02