Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 10:13

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

As one who has always believed that truth is our nation s

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
As one who has always believed that truth is our nation s [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2005, 17:45
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
As one who has always believed that truth is our nation’s surest weapon in the propaganda war against our foes, I am distressed by reports of “disinformationâ€
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - Political Interest [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2005, 19:53
I go with E.

the author concludes that the fire department finds water more effective than fire. here she compares the fire as disinformation and water as correct information, which is based on truth. so the conclusion is tru information effectively defets the disinformation by the enimies. therefore, the main point is "disinformation campaigns do not effectively serve the political interests of the United States".
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2005, 05:36
One more for E
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - Political Interest [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2005, 07:54
HIMALAYA wrote:
I go with E.

the author concludes that the fire department finds water more effective than fire. here she compares the fire as disinformation and water as correct information, which is based on truth. so the conclusion is tru information effectively defets the disinformation by the enimies. therefore, the main point is "disinformation campaigns do not effectively serve the political interests of the United States".

But the passage is not conveying anything about whether disinformation served effectively. How can you choose (E)??
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2005, 08:11
Picked A.

the author cites , fighting fire with water, to illustrate that there is an ethical way to counter foreign threat.

HMTG.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2005, 12:15
A is my choice choice too.

C and D are out for sure.

B becomes too narrow.

What takes E out is

disinformation campaigns do not effectively serve the political interests of the United States
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - Political Interest [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2005, 17:10
jpv wrote:
HIMALAYA wrote:
I go with E.

But the passage is not conveying anything about whether disinformation served effectively. How can you choose (E)??

actually i was between E and A. i choosed E because of "Fire and water" analogy. ethichs in A is also not discussed in the passage as well. the passage is discussing the practicality of the information-type. therefore, E should be ok.
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2005, 17:15
OA given is (E). However, I am not fully convinced with it.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2005, 18:36
jpv wrote:
OA given is (E). However, I am not fully convinced with it.

The author uses the fire department analogy saying they do not fight fire with fire instead use water meaning countering disinformation campaigns with another disinformation campaign will not be effective.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2005, 08:29
I actually picked E, before checking the OA.

Here is my reasoning.

The author is talking about "our nation’s surest weapon in the propaganda war", and there are several references to America in this passage. So eliminate all choices that do not refer to either "our nation"or "america", that leaves us with B, D and E.

Eliminate B, because, America's moral standing is not discussed anywhere in the passage

Eliminate D, because, Soviet Union's misinformation campaign is not mentioned anywhere

Now read this sentence from the passage "Those who defend this practice say that lying is necessary to counter Soviet disinformation campaigns aimed at damaging America’s political interests"

The author is very clearly trying to refute the above argument by stating that disinformation campaigns do not effectively serve "America's political interests". There E is the answer.
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2005, 16:06
Darth_McDaddy wrote:
So eliminate all choices that do not refer to either "our nation"or "america", that leaves us with B, D and E.

I liked your this finding. Thanks.
  [#permalink] 11 Jul 2005, 16:06