Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Sep 2014, 11:36

Happy Labor Day:

Free Access to New GMATClub Tests for all GMATClub Members!!

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

As one who has always believed that truth is our nations

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
As one who has always believed that truth is our nations [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2008, 07:34
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 100% (02:33) wrong based on 2 sessions
As one who has always believed that truth is our nations surest weapon in the propaganda war against our foes, I am distressed by reports of disinformation campaigns by American intelligence agents in Western Europe. In a disinformation campaign, untruths are disseminated through gullible local journalists in order to damage the interests of our enemies and protect our own. Those who defend this practice say that lying is necessary to counter Soviet disinformation campaigns aimed at damaging Americas political interests. These apologists contend that one must fight fire with fire. I would point out to the apologists that the fire department finds water more effective.

The authors main point is that

(A) although disinformation campaigns may be effective, they are unacceptable on ethical grounds

(B) Americas moral standing in the world depends on its adherence to the truth

(C) the temporary political gains produced by disinformation campaigns generally give way to long-term losses

(D) Soviet disinformation campaigns have done little to damage Americas standing in Europe

(E) disinformation campaigns do not effectively serve the political interests of the United States

Every Problem Has a Sloution So keep working
AB

Director
Director
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 186 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR-American war [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2008, 08:32
IMO E.
Analogy is Dis infomration campaign is the fire used for extinguishing soviet fire, so we need water and not fire as told in the passage. So dis information is not effective.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

Re: CR-American war [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2008, 08:41
IMO E. B talks about Americas moral standing in the world, which is not mentioned in the paragraph
others are irrelevant.
Director
Director
Schools: Oxford
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 158 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR-American war [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2008, 13:17
Interesting q.

I can see why E could be an answer. But A also has some merit, IMO:

(A) although disinformation campaigns may be effective, they are unacceptable on ethical grounds

Statement says nothing about campaigns ineffectiveness. The author’s point is that the other ways exist, more appropriate ones, but he doesn’t mean that the present ways are not effective at all.

Then, the statement ‘truth is our nations surest weapon in the propaganda war against our foes’ can be interpreted as author’s disagreement with disinformation campaigns on ethical grounds...

Quote:
As one who has always believed that truth is our nations surest weapon in the propaganda war against our foes, I am distressed by reports of disinformation campaigns by American intelligence agents in Western Europe. In a disinformation campaign, untruths are disseminated through gullible local journalists in order to damage the interests of our enemies and protect our own. Those who defend this practice say that lying is necessary to counter Soviet disinformation campaigns aimed at damaging Americas political interests. These apologists contend that one must fight fire with fire. I would point out to the apologists that the fire department finds water more effective.

It would be interesting to know OE as well as OA.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 197 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR-American war [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2008, 13:49
apurva1985 wrote:

The authors main point is that

(C) the temporary political gains produced by disinformation campaigns generally give way to long-term losses

(D) Soviet disinformation campaigns have done little to damage Americas standing in Europe

(E) disinformation campaigns do not effectively serve the political interests of the United States

I would pick E as my answer too.

This question is a bit tricky. But I think that the best way to attack such a question is that when you scan through each word in each answer choice, try to find one word that is irrelevant or simply wrong - one wrong word means that the whole answer choice is wrong! I'll go through each answer choice and will highlight one word that I can argue against or even more if I can find them:

The author never said that he found the campaign effective. He only recalled what the defenders of this approach were saying. Also, who said anything about ethics??

The author didn't say anything about being moral. He only doesn't think that lying will lead to the intended result. Also, there is nothing mentioned about what depends on what...

No speculation was made by the author about the long term consequence of this approach.

we don't know the consequence of soviet's campaigns. we only know what the soviets did, but we don't know whether the action of the soviet is considered huge or small.

correct. also, the use of "effectively" makes this answer choice mild rather than extreme.
Director
Director
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 94 [0], given: 37

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR-American war [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2011, 17:09
E for me as well. Fire deptt finds water more effective indicates that disinformation campaign is not effective.

Crick
VP
VP
Affiliations: PMI,QAI Global,eXampleCG
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 136 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR-American war [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2011, 17:51
Effective solution is what one should look for here.

E clicks in with the keyword effective.

Visit -- http://www.sustainable-sphere.com/
Promote Green Business,Sustainable Living and Green Earth !!

Re: CR-American war   [#permalink] 16 Jun 2011, 17:51