Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 10:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

As part of continuing efforts to control illegal

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 0

As part of continuing efforts to control illegal [#permalink] New post 12 Dec 2008, 07:16
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

37% (02:07) correct 63% (01:38) wrong based on 81 sessions
As part of continuing efforts to control illegal immigration, the US government should institute a system of internal passports similar to those in European nations. Drivers’ licenses currently serve a kind of internal-passport function, but this system is severely limited because all states do not require the same documentation before issuing photo ID. Illegal workers can get a driver’s license in one state with lax regulations and use it as identification in another state with stricter regulations but better-paying jobs. Internal passports will keep illegal workers from slipping through the cracks by standardizing forms of photo ID.

Which of the following is most similar to the passage above in logical structure?

A. National standardized college entrance exams replace exams written independently by test administration services affiliated with groups of universities.
B. A national association of doctors approves standards for diagnosis and treatment of childhood development disorders, and these standards are used in private clinics across the country.
C. Resale values of used cars are discussed, standardized, and published in an industry manual also available to independent buyers and sellers.
D. The distance between rails of train tracks is standardized across the country, allowing trains built by any manufacturer to travel along any rail line.
E. Employment applications and hiring processes for a national restaurant chain are standardized in order to ensure uniform quality among employees.

I am not fully satisfied with the QA and the explanation given , hence the post. Please explain your choices while answering.

Thanks.
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 74 [0], given: 99

GMAT Tests User
Re: Club challenge tests. CR [#permalink] New post 12 Dec 2008, 08:25
IMO D. correction in primise will effect the conclusion. ...

is this correct? what is the OA?
Director
Director
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 86 [0], given: 25

GMAT Tests User
Re: Club challenge tests. CR [#permalink] New post 12 Dec 2008, 13:42
I think it's E.

The scenario in the question raises uniform standards and eliminate those certain states with weak standards.

E raise the uniform standards of all stores and eliminate those stores with weak standards.
Director
Director
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 86 [0], given: 25

GMAT Tests User
Re: Club challenge tests. CR [#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2008, 01:50
Saw this one too, disagree with OA.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 65 [0], given: 14

GMAT Tests User
Re: Club challenge tests. CR [#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2008, 02:55
gameCode wrote:
As part of continuing efforts to control illegal immigration, the US government should institute a system of internal passports similar to those in European nations. Drivers’ licenses currently serve a kind of internal-passport function, but this system is severely limited because all states do not require the same documentation before issuing photo ID. Illegal workers can get a driver’s license in one state with lax regulations and use it as identification in another state with stricter regulations but better-paying jobs. Internal passports will keep illegal workers from slipping through the cracks by standardizing forms of photo ID.

Which of the following is most similar to the passage above in logical structure?

A. National standardized college entrance exams replace exams written independently by test administration services affiliated with groups of universities.
B. A national association of doctors approves standards for diagnosis and treatment of childhood development disorders, and these standards are used in private clinics across the country.
C. Resale values of used cars are discussed, standardized, and published in an industry manual also available to independent buyers and sellers.
D. The distance between rails of train tracks is standardized across the country, allowing trains built by any manufacturer to travel along any rail line.
E. Employment applications and hiring processes for a national restaurant chain are standardized in order to ensure uniform quality among employees.

I am not fully satisfied with the QA and the explanation given , hence the post. Please explain your choices while answering.

Thanks.

IMO D.

In the argument its given that there are different documentation required in different state..So an illegal immigrant can make a driving license in a state with lax norms and can use it anywhere as an ID. So the recommendation is to standardize the forms of photo ID so that each state requires the same kind of docs.

Now if we have a look at option D it states that "The distance between rails of train tracks is standardized across the country, allowing trains built by any manufacturer to travel along any rail line". Thus showing a similar structure bcoz if the system has been standardize then it doesn't matters whosoever builds the train it can travel along any rail line..in any part of country.

I hope i am clear , if anyone has any suggestions kindly put your posts
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: Club challenge tests. CR [#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2008, 19:59
I'm with (E)

Kick GMAT ass

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 65 [0], given: 14

GMAT Tests User
Re: Club challenge tests. CR [#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2008, 20:15
Bidisha wrote:
I'm with (E)

Bidisha I suppose the argument is talking about the standardization process and not about the quality, and if we have a look at option E, it talks about the uniform quality
SVP
SVP
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 174 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Club challenge tests. CR [#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2008, 22:46
I will also go with E. In the argument, standardization is for a purpose. Only option E reflects this.
VP
VP
Followers: 33

Kudos [?]: 209 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Club challenge tests. CR [#permalink] New post 31 Jan 2009, 14:01
Whew! No one picked A.

different states- different policies - one state easy to get L another difficult

Different U's - Different tests- on might be easy one might be difficult.

Structure same right?

What is the OA & OE?
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Club challenge tests. CR [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2009, 07:53
why Option B is incorrect ? :idea:
VP
VP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 94 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Club challenge tests. CR [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2009, 09:13
I was confused b/w A and E. But E speaks of uniform quality. In A, standardizing entrance exam is being talked of which is same as the standardizing passport sytem in argument. So it shld be A
whts the OA?
gameCode wrote:

Thanks.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 2

Re: Club challenge tests. CR [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2009, 10:34
Between A / E.
Whats the difference between A and E ?

Will wait for OE!
GMAT Instructor
Followers: 246

Kudos [?]: 628 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: Club challenge tests. CR [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2009, 11:44
gameCode wrote:

This question doesn't make sense to me. First, the wording, highlighted above, is dodgy; the sentence as written means 'every state requires different documentation', and surely it ought to say 'not all states require the same documentation', meaning some have different requirements than others. Secondly, the stem is an argument, so its 'logical structure' is completely different from any of the answer choices, which are simply descriptions of various situations. Surely it should read something more like (giving this very little thought), 'standardizing passports most closely parallels which of the following standardization schemes?' Still not a great question, but I'd have to choose A: if exams aren't standardized, then someone with a good score on an easy exam in one state could then be accepted to a college in a different state and be accepted because he or she was held to a lower standard - the same situation as applies to the illegal workers who benefit from lower standards in one state to get a job in another.

Nov 2011: After years of development, I am now making my advanced Quant books and high-level problem sets available for sale. Contact me at ianstewartgmat at gmail.com for details.

Private GMAT Tutor based in Toronto

Director
Director
Followers: 43

Kudos [?]: 151 [0], given: 17

GMAT Tests User
Re: Club challenge tests. CR [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2009, 09:01
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 60

Re: Club challenge tests. CR [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2009, 09:43
icandy wrote:
Whew! No one picked A.

different states- different policies - one state easy to get L another difficult

Structure same right?

What is the OA & OE?

picked A for the above mentioned reasoning.

Never, never, never give up

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 9

GMAT Tests User
Re: Club challenge tests. CR [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2009, 14:53
barakhaiev wrote:
icandy wrote:
Whew! No one picked A.

Structure same right?

What is the OA & OE?

picked A for the above mentioned reasoning.

I would go with "B". The argument talks about establishing uniform standards. What is the OA?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Club challenge tests. CR [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2009, 03:52
IMO D...OA pls
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

Re: Club challenge tests. CR [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2009, 05:28
IMO E.

I was confused between A and E . But E does not mention specifically that the restaurant had different process of hiring in different branches before the standard was put in place - so I ruled out E .
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Club challenge tests. CR [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2009, 12:12
have to go with "A", D&E are the same.

"A" is the only one that has the same structure as the passage "the requirement has to be accord so no one can take advantage in any way."
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 33

GMAT Tests User
Re: Club challenge tests. CR [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2011, 13:10
Here is my shot

A by elimination more than anything else.

The stimulus states misuse of photo id because there is no uniform standard. Internal passport is recommended to prevent such misuse

A) Non standardized exams may allow mediocre students to take these exams and get into premier institutes- a standard exam will level the playing field- so no misuse

B) They discuss implementation in only private clinic's- why not all hospitals adopt the same standard- hence eliminated.
C) The proposed solution doesnt claim to replace an existing one
D) This sounds more like ease of manufacturing than a solution to avoid mis use!
E) They only want to standardize their quality and not prevent some workers fooling the system.
Re: Club challenge tests. CR   [#permalink] 27 Jan 2011, 13:10