Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Jul 2014, 01:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

As part of continuing efforts to control illegal

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 4

As part of continuing efforts to control illegal [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2010, 19:40
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

50% (02:52) correct 50% (02:00) wrong based on 6 sessions
As part of continuing efforts to control illegal immigration, the US government should institute a system of internal passports similar to those in European nations. Drivers’ licenses currently serve a kind of internal-passport function, but this system is severely limited because all states do not require the same documentation before issuing photo ID. Illegal workers can get a driver’s license in one state with lax regulations and use it as identification in another state with stricter regulations but better-paying jobs. Internal passports will keep illegal workers from slipping through the cracks by standardizing forms of photo ID.

Which of the following is most similar to the passage above in logical structure?

A National standardized college entrance exams replace exams written independently by test administration services affiliated with groups of universities.
B A national association of doctors approves standards for diagnosis and treatment of childhood development disorders, and these standards are used in private clinics across the country.
C Resale values of used cars are discussed, standardized, and published in an industry manual also available to independent buyers and sellers.
D The distance between rails of train tracks is standardized across the country, allowing trains built by any manufacturer to travel along any rail line.
E Employment applications and hiring processes for a national restaurant chain are standardized in order to ensure uniform quality among employees.

Can anyone explain this.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 3

Re: CR -QUESTION - PARALLEL STRUCTURE [#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2010, 01:53
This post received
KUDOS
Let me try to explain this one.

The main passage implies that internal passports should be issued in order to restricts illegal immigrants. i.e. to make some sort of standardization for every immigrant. Now, lets try to correlate answer options.
A) Standardize the entrance examination for entrance exams.
B) Here as well standardization but does NOT make other hospitals to follow that stringently(as per the statement). This sentence has got some ambiguity.
C) Standardization of resale value for cars. But, it is not mandated also, there is no problem which they are trying to resolve.
D) Talks about standardization of lines. But, here there is no problem which they are trying to resolve.
E) Talks about standardizing for only one organization. There is nothing general here.

Hence, I picked A. Hope my reasoning is fair enough to get to the proper answer. Please comment if you have anything else to add to this.

-------------------------------------
Please give kudos, if my post is helpful.

For English Grammar tips, consider visiting http://www.grammar-quizzes.com/index.html.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR -QUESTION - PARALLEL STRUCTURE [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2010, 23:43
i took over 2 min and marked e .. i thought after the first read that standardized tests is been replaced .... but one confusion that standardized is also in one org. and licencing is also in one org . so difficult choice b/w a & e
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 4

Re: CR -QUESTION - PARALLEL STRUCTURE [#permalink] New post 11 Aug 2010, 03:47
the correct answer is A.

Good explanation given above !!
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 20

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR -QUESTION - PARALLEL STRUCTURE [#permalink] New post 22 Jan 2011, 07:11
A. Somewhat easier parallel structure question
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 33

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR -QUESTION - PARALLEL STRUCTURE [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2011, 13:11
Here is my shot

A by elimination more than anything else.

The stimulus states misuse of photo id because there is no uniform standard. Internal passport is recommended to prevent such misuse

A) Non standardized exams may allow mediocre students to take these exams and get into premier institutes- a standard exam will level the playing field- so no misuse

B) They discuss implementation in only private clinic's- why not all hospitals adopt the same standard- hence eliminated.
C) The proposed solution doesnt claim to replace an existing one
D) This sounds more like ease of manufacturing than a solution to avoid mis use!
E) They only want to standardize their quality and not prevent some workers fooling the system.
Re: CR -QUESTION - PARALLEL STRUCTURE   [#permalink] 27 Jan 2011, 13:11