Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 13:28 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 13:28

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 88
Send PM
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5137 [0]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64922 [1]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Re: As the etched lines on computer memory chips have become thinner and [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Redwhite387 wrote:
I understand the meaning of the sentence is taken from the original sentence (option A). For this question, can't the original sentence mean both
A. both the power of chips and the power of electronic devices
B. both the power of chips and the number of electronic devices

If B. is a possible meaning, Option E would be correct?

There is no "original sentence." All options are equal.
Pick the option that makes most sense along with being grammatically correct.

That said, option (A) is not logical. Finer lines and more complex circuits would increase the power of the chips and the power of the devices.
They will not increase the number of electronic devices they drive. Technically, all "electronic" devices are driven by chips.
ISB & IIM Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 121 [0]
Given Kudos: 123
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V36
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Re: As the etched lines on computer memory chips have become thinner and [#permalink]
Hi Experts

GMATNinja KarishmaB EducationAisle ChrisLele mikemcgarry AjiteshArun egmat sayantanc2k RonPurewal DmitryFarber MagooshExpert avigutman EMPOWERgmatVerbal MartyTargetTestPrep ExpertsGlobal5 IanStewart
other experts AnthonyRitz

I don't think there is any logical or meaning problem in option A . I marked option A as answer for this question and not B because I thought option B is changing the original meaning as for me option A is correct in meaning

Why can't due to some changes in the component that is memory chips there can be increase in the electronic devices

Can someone please explain me why option A is wrong logically?

I read other experts explanation but it was not clear for me

Thanks
Stacy Blackman Consulting Director of Test Prep
Affiliations: Stacy Blackman Consulting
Own Kudos [?]: 393 [0]
Given Kudos: 165
GMAT 1: 790 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
GPA: 3.11
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Vatsal7794 wrote:
Hi Experts

GMATNinja KarishmaB EducationAisle ChrisLele mikemcgarry AjiteshArun egmat sayantanc2k RonPurewal DmitryFarber MagooshExpert avigutman EMPOWERgmatVerbal MartyTargetTestPrep ExpertsGlobal5 IanStewart

I don't think there is any logical or meaning problem in option A . I marked option A as answer for this question and not B because I thought option B is changing the original meaning as for me option A is correct in meaning

Why can't due to some changes in the component that is memory chips there can be increase in the electronic devices

Thanks

Karishma nailed this one.

KarishmaB wrote:
There is no "original sentence." All options are equal.
Pick the option that makes most sense along with being grammatically correct.

That said, option (A) is not logical. Finer lines and more complex circuits would increase the power of the chips and the power of the devices.
They will not increase the number of electronic devices they drive. Technically, all "electronic" devices are driven by chips.

To elaborate, the parallel structure of the "both... and..." correlative conjunction looks like this:

both
(1) the power of the chips
and
(2) the electronic devices they drive
have vastly increased

This means A says that "the electronic devices have increased." But that's ambiguous, not the point, and arguably illogical. Do you mean there are more such devices? You probably need to say "the number of electronic devices has increased." But as written, this sounds like you mean that the devices have gotten physically larger -- an illogical consequence of the chips getting thinner. So at best it's ambiguous, but at worst it's just illogical.

Plus, you know, everything Karishma said. "Original meaning" is a myth.
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [1]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Vatsal7794 wrote:
Hi Experts

Thanks

Hello Vatsal7794,

We hope this finds you well.

To answer your query, the phrase “both the power of the chips and the electronic devices they drive” is ambiguous in meaning; its construction is such that it could refer to "the power of the chips" and "the electronic devices", or "the power" can be taken common for the noun phrases "the chips" and "the electronic devices", thus referring to the power of the chips and the power of the electronic devices.

Option B avoids such ambiguity through the phrase “the power of both the chips and the electronic devices they drive”.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 166 [0]
Given Kudos: 348
Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GMAT 1: 640 Q46 V32
GMAT 2: 670 Q48 V34
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Dear Expert,

Is it right to use a possessive apostrophe for inanimate objects?

For example:
"The chip's circuit are complex" vs "Circuits of the chips are complex"
similarly, another example -
"Respiratory system's capability" vs "Capability of the respiratory system"

Both of these pairs of examples intend to set the same context, but one of them uses a possessive apostrophe for inanimate objects.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Send PM
As the etched lines on computer memory chips have become thinner and [#permalink]
As the etched lines on computer memory chips have become thinner and the chips’ circuits more complex, both the power of the chips and the electronic devices they drive have vastly increased.

Option elimination

(A) the chips’ circuits more complex, both the power of the chips and the electronic devices they drive have - "they" can refer to "the etched lines, "memory chips," and chip's circuits." How can "the etched lines and chip's circuits" increase the number of electronic devices - illogical? In the 2nd part, after "and" the "have become" is eliminated to avoid repetition (the use of ellipsis) - The important thing about Ellipsis, as "Daagh" pointed out in one of his comments - Ellipsis is resorted more for brevity (conciseness) than for anything else. But the important requirement is that the understood phrase must exist somewhere before "in" the sentence. Here, we have "have become" in the part before "and".

(B) the chips’ circuits more complex, the power of both the chips and the electronic devices they drive has - the expansion is "the chip's circuits have been more complex, the power of both the chips and the electronic devices .....has" - grammatically and logically correct.

(C) the chips’ circuits are more complex, both the power of the chips and the electronic devices they drive has - "both" - "has" - SV issue

(D) their circuits are more complex, the power of both the chips and the electronic devices they drive have - "the power" - "have" - SV issue

(E) their circuits more complex, both the power of the chips and the electronic devices they drive have - Their can refer to "the etched lines," "memory chips," or "chip's circuits" - it doesn't make sense to say "the etched lines circuits more complex." Wrong.
GMAT Club Bot
As the etched lines on computer memory chips have become thinner and [#permalink]
   1   2 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts