Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 08:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

As the etched lines on computer memory chips have become

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
CEO
CEO
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 254 [0], given: 4

As the etched lines on computer memory chips have become [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2007, 10:28
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

53% (02:01) correct 47% (01:05) wrong based on 190 sessions
139. As the etched lines on computer memory chips have become thinner and the chips’ circuits more complex, both the power of the chips and the electronic devices they drive have vastly increased.
(A) the chips’ circuits more complex, both the power of the chips and the electronic devices they drive have
(B) the chips’ circuits more complex, the power of both the chips and the electronic devices they drive has
(C) the chips’ circuits are more complex, both the power of the chips and the electronic devices they drive has
(D) their circuits are more complex, the power of both the chips and the electronic devices they drive have
(E) their circuits more complex, both the power of the chips and the electronic devices they drive have

Please EXPLAIN your answer.
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 80 [1] , given: 1

[#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2007, 10:50
This post received
KUDOS
I think I like answer B.
the power is agree with the verb has.
In D and E, the use of their is ambigious.
Director
Director
Schools: University of Chicago, Wharton School
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 7

Re: SC1000 #139 Chips [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2007, 11:24
bmwhype2 wrote:
As the etched lines on computer memory chips have become thinner and the chips’ circuits more complex, both the power of the chips and the electronic devices they drive have vastly increased.

(A) the chips’ circuits more complex, both the power of the chips and the electronic devices they drive have
(B) the chips’ circuits more complex, the power of both the chips and the electronic devices they drive has
(C) the chips’ circuits are more complex, both the power of the chips and the electronic devices they drive has
(D) their circuits are more complex, the power of both the chips and the electronic devices they drive have
(E) their circuits more complex, both the power of the chips and the electronic devices they drive have

i am also but stuck on this one. I got B too using some other method.

can any one explain why B? why "the chips’ circuits more complex" is not complete?
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 201 [1] , given: 0

Re: SC1000 #139 Chips [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2007, 12:10
This post received
KUDOS
Fistail wrote:
bmwhype2 wrote:
As the etched lines on computer memory chips have become thinner and the chips’ circuits more complex, both the power of the chips and the electronic devices they drive have vastly increased.

i am also but stuck on this one. I got B too using some other method.

can any one explain why B? why "the chips’ circuits more complex" is not complete?

the chips' circuits more complex is the same in A and B. that's not the issue.

B is correct because "____ vastly increased" at the end of the sentence refers back to "the power" which is singular. even though it's talking about the power of two different things, it has to be "has vastly increased" instead of "have vastly increased"
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 0

[#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2007, 18:33
This post received
KUDOS
B is the correct answer. A is also grammatically correct but B is clearer choice.

Thanks
2 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 29 [2] , given: 0

[#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2007, 19:35
This post received
KUDOS
It's B.

As the etched lines on computer memory chips have become thinner and the chips’ circuits more complex, the power of both the chips and the electronic devices they drive has vastly increased.
1 KUDOS received
CEO
CEO

Kudos [?]: 254 [1] , given: 4

[#permalink] New post 11 Aug 2007, 07:21
This post received
KUDOS
b14kumar wrote:
It's B.

As the etched lines on computer memory chips have become thinner and the chips’ circuits more complex, the power of both the chips and the electronic devices they drive has vastly increased.

thanks

I now see that AC are both not parallel and DE have ambiguous referents.
CEO
CEO

[#permalink] New post 11 Aug 2007, 07:24
bmwhype2 wrote:
b14kumar wrote:
It's B.

thanks

both should be as close to the word that it modifies as possible
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [1] , given: 0

[#permalink] New post 11 Aug 2007, 07:43
This post received
KUDOS
I go for B.

D and E -> their usage is ambiguous

A and C -> It's the power that increased... not the circuits/devices
CEO
CEO

[#permalink] New post 11 Aug 2007, 18:35
bmwhype2 wrote:
b14kumar wrote:
It's B.

thanks

alright made another mistake...DE do not have ambiguous referents.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

[#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2007, 21:18
This post received
KUDOS
I'm sorry, but I'm still very confused here.

I think that answer B sounds incomplete. Should it be the chips’ circuits have become more complex?

Thanx!
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 68 [1] , given: 0

[#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2007, 03:09
This post received
KUDOS
mashi wrote:
I'm sorry, but I'm still very confused here.

I think that answer B sounds incomplete. Should it be the chips’ circuits have become more complex?

Thanx!

As the etched lines on computer memory chips have become thinner and the chips’ circuits more complex, the power of both the chips and the electronic devices they drive has
3 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 21 [3] , given: 0

Re: SC1000 #139 Chips [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2007, 10:13
This post received
KUDOS
139. As the etched lines on computer memory chips have become thinner and the chips’ circuits more complex, both the power of the chips and the electronic devices they drive have vastly increased.
(A) the chips’ circuits more complex, both the power of the chips and the electronic devices they drive have (the electronic devices they drive have vastly increased=>does not make sense=>OUT)
(B) the chips’ circuits more complex, the power of both the chips and the electronic devices they drive has (the power...has=>OK)
(C) the chips’ circuits are more complex, both the power of the chips and the electronic devices they drive has (both...has=>OUT)
(D) their circuits are more complex, the power of both the chips and the electronic devices they drive have (the power....have=>OUT)
(E) their circuits more complex, both the power of the chips and the electronic devices they drive have (the electronic devices they drive have vastly increased=>does not make sense=>OUT)
1 KUDOS received
CEO
CEO
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 197 [1] , given: 0

Re: SC1000 #139 Chips [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2007, 22:09
This post received
KUDOS
bmwhype2 wrote:

Need to use idiom Both X and Y.

Both the power of the chips and the electronic devices... incorrect usage, should be both the power of X and the power of Y.

Elmin ACE.

I was actually stuck btwn B and D b/c I couldn't figure out whether to use have or has.

however, "the power" requires has. So I choose B.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: SC1000 #139 Chips [#permalink] New post 22 Feb 2008, 15:04
the OA is B
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 0

Re: SC1000 #139 Chips [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2008, 09:03
Do we see anything wrong with A? If not why are we picking a choice (B) that has a different meanings from the original?
Director
Director
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 192 [0], given: 100

Re: SC1000 #139 Chips [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2009, 18:11
A whole lot of discussion but still not clear.
Quote:
As the etched lines on computer memory chips have become thinner and the chips' circuits more complex, both the power of the chips and the electronic devices they drive have vastly increased.
(A) the chips' circuits more complex, both the power of the chips and the electronic devices they drive have
(B) the chips' circuits more complex, the power of both the chips and the electronic devices they drive has
(C) the chips' circuits are more complex, both the power of the chips and the electronic devices they drive has
(E) their circuits more complex, both the power of the chips

OA is
[Reveal] Spoiler:
B

Shoul'nt a sentence have the same tense throughout??Since we already have "HAVE" in the non underlined are..shouldnt the correct answer have "HAVE".Please somebody consolidate the explanation for poor people like me:(

countdown-beginshas-ended-85483-40.html#p649902

Director
Director
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 192 [0], given: 100

Re: SC1000 #139 Chips [#permalink] New post 17 Oct 2009, 20:40
guys this is so not clear..PLEASE help.

both the power of the chips
and the electronic devices they drive have vastly increased.

Plural!How can the correct answer be B??

countdown-beginshas-ended-85483-40.html#p649902

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 3

Re: [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2009, 00:41
ioiio wrote:
I go for B.

D and E -> their usage is ambiguous

A and C -> It's the power that increased... not the circuits/devices

Is it really correct that it should be "power... has" (both singular) instead of "powers ... have" (both plural), because it refers to two nouns?
I am not a English native speaker.

Thanks a lot (one more to my error log!)
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 15 [1] , given: 0

Re: SC1000 #139 Chips [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2009, 07:20
This post received
KUDOS
(A) the chips’ circuits more complex, both the power of the chips and the electronic devices they drive have - subject-verb agreement and idiom (both)
(C) the chips’ circuits are more complex, both the power of the chips and the electronic devices they drive has - idiom (both)
(D) their circuits are more complex, the power of both the chips and the electronic devices they drive have - not clear lines or chips
(E) their circuits more complex, both the power of the chips and the electronic devices they drive have - not clear lines or chips

B for me
Re: SC1000 #139 Chips   [#permalink] 23 Oct 2009, 07:20