Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Sep 2014, 09:34

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

As the etched lines on computer memory chips have become

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
CEO
CEO
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 220 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
As the etched lines on computer memory chips have become [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2007, 10:28
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

49% (02:08) correct 51% (01:04) wrong based on 167 sessions
139. As the etched lines on computer memory chips have become thinner and the chips’ circuits more complex, both the power of the chips and the electronic devices they drive have vastly increased.
(A) the chips’ circuits more complex, both the power of the chips and the electronic devices they drive have
(B) the chips’ circuits more complex, the power of both the chips and the electronic devices they drive has
(C) the chips’ circuits are more complex, both the power of the chips and the electronic devices they drive has
(D) their circuits are more complex, the power of both the chips and the electronic devices they drive have
(E) their circuits more complex, both the power of the chips and the electronic devices they drive have

Please EXPLAIN your answer.
3 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 21 [3] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC1000 #139 Chips [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2007, 10:13
This post received
KUDOS
139. As the etched lines on computer memory chips have become thinner and the chips’ circuits more complex, both the power of the chips and the electronic devices they drive have vastly increased.
(A) the chips’ circuits more complex, both the power of the chips and the electronic devices they drive have (the electronic devices they drive have vastly increased=>does not make sense=>OUT)
(B) the chips’ circuits more complex, the power of both the chips and the electronic devices they drive has (the power...has=>OK)
(C) the chips’ circuits are more complex, both the power of the chips and the electronic devices they drive has (both...has=>OUT)
(D) their circuits are more complex, the power of both the chips and the electronic devices they drive have (the power....have=>OUT)
(E) their circuits more complex, both the power of the chips and the electronic devices they drive have (the electronic devices they drive have vastly increased=>does not make sense=>OUT)
2 KUDOS received
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 22 [2] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2007, 19:35
This post received
KUDOS
It's B.

As the etched lines on computer memory chips have become thinner and the chips’ circuits more complex, the power of both the chips and the electronic devices they drive has vastly increased.
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1244

Kudos [?]: 3440 [2] , given: 183

Re: As the etched lines on computer memory chips have become [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2014, 07:13
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
SidKaria wrote:
As the etched lines on computer memory chips have become thinner and the chips’ circuits more complex, both the power of the chips and the electronic devices they drive have vastly increased.(GMAT Prep)

1) the chips’ circuits more complex, both the power of the chips and the electronic devices they drive have
2) the chips’ circuits more complex, the power of both the chips and the electronic devices they drive has
3) the chips’ circuits are more complex, both the power of the chips and the electronic devices they drive has
4) their circuits are more complex, the power of both the chips and the electronic devices they drive have
5) their circuits more complex, both the power of the chips and the electronic devices they drive have

intended meaning-as the etched line on the comp memory chips have become thinner and the chip's circuits more complex,both the power of chips and the power of the electronic devices the chips drive have vastly increased.

1) the chips’ circuits more complex, both the power of the chips and the electronic devices they drive have.
incorrect- it says that the power of chips and electronic devices they drive has increased.(if this would have been the intended meaning then there was no need for using "both") can i reject the anser choice on this basis ?
DOUBT- dont know whether the entities are parallel?? i think they are."the power of the chips"- noun +noun modifier." the electronic devices they drive"- noun + noun modifier.

2) the chips’ circuits more complex, the power of both the chips and the electronic devices they drive has-
correct: both x and y.where, x and y are parallel. the chips- noun. electonic devices they drive. noun+modifier.(if one entity has a modifier and the other doesn't they still can be parallel)

In the above sentences it seems that "As the etched lines on computer memory chips have become thinner and the chips’ circuits more complex" is parallel. and in the 2nd part of the sentence "have become"is implied. how can we assume that.And if that is not the case then 1st part is a clause and 2nd part is a phrase(no verb). please help .

3)the chips’ circuits are more complex, both the power of the chips and the electronic devices they drive has-
incorrect- repeats the error in A(intended meaning) uses singluar has for plural subject(x and y )

4)their circuits are more complex, the power of both the chips and the electronic devices they drive have
incorrect- the power is singular while have is plural. their is ambiguous.

Doubt-As the etched lines on computer memory chips have become thinner and their circuits are more complex. is this parallel ?? both are clauses, but have different tenses.
i think its parallel but incorrect because "their circuits are more complex" is incomplete. more complex than what ?? if we say that their circuits have become more complex it makes sense because its implied that we are comparing the present chip's circuits with the past chip's circuits.

5)their circuits more complex, both the power of the chips and the electronic devices they drive have-
incorrect- their is ambiguous. repeats the error in A(intended meaning)

doubt- we come to know about the intended meaning of the sentence from the first option, in this case i think that the 2nd optio9n is more logical but isnt there a possibility that the sentence is correct as it is.

1)As the etched lines on computer memory chips have become thinner and the chips’ circuits more complex, both the power of the chips and the electronic devices they drive have vastly increased.

meaning- because of the changes on the computer memory chips, the power of the chips and the number of electronic devices the chips drive have increased. (so beacuse of the changes more electronic devices can be driven using the chips.

please help.
thank you.

Hi Siddhartha,
Thank you for posting your query here. :)

Let’s apply the e-GMAT 3 step process to the given sentence:

SENTENCE STRUCTURE
• As the etched lines on computer memory chips have become thinner and the chips’ circuits more complex, (Clause-1)
• both the power of the chips and the electronic devices (Clause-2)
o they drive (Clause-3)
o have vastly increased. (Clause-2 Contd.)

• This sentence tells us about two related events. It says as X has happened, Y has happened. Let’s see what are these two events:
• X: The etched lines on computer memory chips have become thinner and the chips’ circuits (have become) more complex.
• Y: Both the power of the chips and the electronic devices have increased.

Error Analysis

From the meaning analysis, we can logically say that the two changes in the memory chips have resulted in increase in the power of the chips.
However, it is not logical to say that these changes have led to increase in the devices they drive. The changes in etched lines and the chips’ circuits cannot increase the number of devices. Increase in the number of devices these chips drive depend on many other factors. Hence, despite being GRAMMATICALLY correct, this choice stands LOGICALLY incorrect.

PROCESS OF ELIMINATION

OPTION A: Incorrect
For the reasons stated above.

The expression “both X and Y” does not have any error. It is correctly used. However, the error lies in the illogical meaning.
Yes, you are correct. The entities are parallel.

OPTION B: Correct
This choice is grammatically as well as logically correct. The changes in the memory chips have resulted in increase in power of two things:
1) The chips,
2) And the devices they drive.

In this sentence, we have ellipsis at play.
• As the etched lines on computer memory chips have become thinner and the chips’ circuits (have become) more complex, the power of both the chips and the electronic devices they drive has vastly increased.
Option B can be written in the above mentioned way as well. Since the verb "have become" already exists in the sentence, there is no need of repeating the same verb again. This is the usage and function of ellipsis. We do have a clause after "and" as well. It is just not written in the clause form because of ellipsis. Please refer to the following article to learn more about ellipsis:

how-far-ellipsis-is-permissible-in-comparison-148973.html

OPTION C: Incorrect
1. Use of “are” is incorrect. The effect of the changes can still be felt in the present. So, the verb used should be in the present perfect tense (have become).
2. Repeats the logical parallelism error (illogical meaning error) as in choice A.
3. Singular verb “has vastly increased” does not agree in number with its plural subject.
4. When we say “the chips’ circuits are more complex”, we need to mention more complex than what. So, the comparison is incomplete. However, if we say “the chips’ circuits have become more complex”, it means that we are comparing the circuits to their earlier versions. (You are absolutely correct here.)

OPTION D: Incorrect
1. Same verb tense and comparison error as in choice C.
2. Plural verb “have” does not agree in number with its singular subject “the power”.

OPTION E: Incorrect
1. Repeats the logical parallelism error (illogical meaning error) as in choice A.

I won’t say that “their” is ambiguous here. There are only two possible plural antecedents: lines and chips. However, it is illogical to say that the lines’ circuits have become more complex, since lines do not have circuits.

Hope this helps! :)
Deepak

Free Webinar: Sep 6, 2014 - Ace GMAT Sentence Correction: Register for this Free Webinar to learn the importance of meaning, achieve 90% accuracy and score V40+. Click here to register.

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 75 [1] , given: 1

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2007, 10:50
This post received
KUDOS
I think I like answer B.
the power is agree with the verb has.
In D and E, the use of their is ambigious.
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 197 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC1000 #139 Chips [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2007, 12:10
This post received
KUDOS
Fistail wrote:
bmwhype2 wrote:
As the etched lines on computer memory chips have become thinner and the chips’ circuits more complex, both the power of the chips and the electronic devices they drive have vastly increased.

(A) the chips’ circuits more complex, both the power of the chips and the electronic devices they drive have
(B) the chips’ circuits more complex, the power of both the chips and the electronic devices they drive has
(C) the chips’ circuits are more complex, both the power of the chips and the electronic devices they drive has
(D) their circuits are more complex, the power of both the chips and the electronic devices they drive have
(E) their circuits more complex, both the power of the chips and the electronic devices they drive have

i am also but stuck on this one. I got B too using some other method.

can any one explain why B? why "the chips’ circuits more complex" is not complete?

the chips' circuits more complex is the same in A and B. that's not the issue.

B is correct because "____ vastly increased" at the end of the sentence refers back to "the power" which is singular. even though it's talking about the power of two different things, it has to be "has vastly increased" instead of "have vastly increased"
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2007, 18:33
This post received
KUDOS
B is the correct answer. A is also grammatically correct but B is clearer choice.

Thanks
1 KUDOS received
CEO
CEO

Kudos [?]: 220 [1] , given: 4

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 11 Aug 2007, 07:21
This post received
KUDOS
b14kumar wrote:
It's B.

As the etched lines on computer memory chips have become thinner and the chips’ circuits more complex, the power of both the chips and the electronic devices they drive has vastly increased.

thanks

I now see that AC are both not parallel and DE have ambiguous referents.
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 11 Aug 2007, 07:43
This post received
KUDOS
I go for B.

D and E -> their usage is ambiguous

A and C -> It's the power that increased... not the circuits/devices
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

[#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2007, 21:18
This post received
KUDOS
I'm sorry, but I'm still very confused here.

I think that answer B sounds incomplete. Should it be the chips’ circuits have become more complex?

Thanx!
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 65 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2007, 03:09
This post received
KUDOS
mashi wrote:
I'm sorry, but I'm still very confused here.

I think that answer B sounds incomplete. Should it be the chips’ circuits have become more complex?

Thanx!

As the etched lines on computer memory chips have become thinner and the chips’ circuits more complex, the power of both the chips and the electronic devices they drive has
1 KUDOS received
CEO
CEO
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 187 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC1000 #139 Chips [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2007, 22:09
This post received
KUDOS
bmwhype2 wrote:

Need to use idiom Both X and Y.

Both the power of the chips and the electronic devices... incorrect usage, should be both the power of X and the power of Y.

Elmin ACE.

I was actually stuck btwn B and D b/c I couldn't figure out whether to use have or has.

however, "the power" requires has. So I choose B.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 13 [1] , given: 0

Re: SC1000 #139 Chips [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2009, 07:20
This post received
KUDOS
As the etched lines on computer memory chips have become thinner and the chips’ circuits more complex, both the power of the chips and the electronic devices they drive have vastly increased.
(A) the chips’ circuits more complex, both the power of the chips and the electronic devices they drive have - subject-verb agreement and idiom (both)
(C) the chips’ circuits are more complex, both the power of the chips and the electronic devices they drive has - idiom (both)
(D) their circuits are more complex, the power of both the chips and the electronic devices they drive have - not clear lines or chips
(E) their circuits more complex, both the power of the chips and the electronic devices they drive have - not clear lines or chips

B for me
Director
Director
Schools: University of Chicago, Wharton School

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC1000 #139 Chips [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2007, 11:24
bmwhype2 wrote:

i am also but stuck on this one. I got B too using some other method.

can any one explain why B? why "the chips’ circuits more complex" is not complete?
CEO
CEO

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 11 Aug 2007, 07:24
bmwhype2 wrote:
b14kumar wrote:
It's B.

thanks

both should be as close to the word that it modifies as possible
CEO
CEO

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 11 Aug 2007, 18:35
bmwhype2 wrote:
b14kumar wrote:
It's B.

thanks

alright made another mistake...DE do not have ambiguous referents.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: SC1000 #139 Chips [#permalink] New post 22 Feb 2008, 15:04
the OA is B
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC1000 #139 Chips [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2008, 09:03
Do we see anything wrong with A? If not why are we picking a choice (B) that has a different meanings from the original?
Director
Director
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 164 [0], given: 100

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC1000 #139 Chips [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2009, 18:11
A whole lot of discussion but still not clear.
Quote:
As the etched lines on computer memory chips have become thinner and the chips' circuits more complex, both the power of the chips and the electronic devices they drive have vastly increased.
(A) the chips' circuits more complex, both the power of the chips and the electronic devices they drive have
(B) the chips' circuits more complex, the power of both the chips and the electronic devices they drive has
(C) the chips' circuits are more complex, both the power of the chips and the electronic devices they drive has
(E) their circuits more complex, both the power of the chips

OA is
[Reveal] Spoiler:
B

Shoul'nt a sentence have the same tense throughout??Since we already have "HAVE" in the non underlined are..shouldnt the correct answer have "HAVE".Please somebody consolidate the explanation for poor people like me:(

countdown-beginshas-ended-85483-40.html#p649902

Director
Director
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 164 [0], given: 100

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC1000 #139 Chips [#permalink] New post 17 Oct 2009, 20:40
guys this is so not clear..PLEASE help.

both the power of the chips
and the electronic devices they drive have vastly increased.

Plural!How can the correct answer be B??

countdown-beginshas-ended-85483-40.html#p649902

Re: SC1000 #139 Chips   [#permalink] 17 Oct 2009, 20:40