Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Aug 2014, 11:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

As the former dean of the school for 25 years, John Smith

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 10 Apr 2012
Posts: 271
Location: United States
Concentration: Technology, Other
GPA: 2.44
WE: Project Management (Telecommunications)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 93 [1] , given: 322

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
As the former dean of the school for 25 years, John Smith [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2013, 13:06
1
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  25% (medium)

Question Stats:

48% (01:36) correct 52% (00:33) wrong based on 83 sessions
As the former dean of the school for 25 years, John Smith shook the hand of more than 250,000 graduates.


A)As the former

B)The former

C)Former

D)He was

E)As the
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by guerrero25 on 27 Mar 2013, 00:36, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 02 May 2012
Posts: 4
Location: Argentina
WE: Corporate Finance (Manufacturing)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 50

Re: As the former dean of the school for 25 years [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2013, 13:17
Between C & E. Any thoughts ?
Expert Post
Retired Moderator
avatar
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
Joined: 19 Feb 2007
Posts: 2266
Location: India
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 260

Kudos [?]: 1542 [0], given: 248

Re: As the former dean of the school for 25 years [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2013, 19:28
Expert's post
It is tempting to jump to Choice A; but then A has a subtle pitfall. There is no such job as the former Dean, for some particular number of years.
Obviously, one can be a dean for certain number of years. Then ex-dean for some number of years and then a permanently former dean lifelong; So if we have to take the time - frame along with the argument, then we have to drop the former status.
Secondly and in a way jestingly, can a former dean shake hands with 250,000 people? If he is not the incumbent dean, who will shake hands with him?
That is why E is the choice.
_________________

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 26 Jul 2010
Posts: 278
Location: European union
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 38

Re: As the former dean of the school for 25 years [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2013, 19:31
daagh wrote:
It is tempting to jump to Choice A; but then A has a subtle pitfall. There is no such job as the former Dean, for some particular number of years.
Obviously, one can be a dean for certain number of years. Then ex-dean for some number of years and then a permanently former dean lifelong; So if we have to take the time - frame along with the argument, then we have to drop the former status.
Secondly and in a way jestingly, can a former dean shake hands with 250,000 people? If he is not the incumbent dean, who will shake hands with him?
That is why E is the choice.


You are assuming that we should know background knowledge, and we are not supposed to ;)
Expert Post
Retired Moderator
avatar
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
Joined: 19 Feb 2007
Posts: 2266
Location: India
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 260

Kudos [?]: 1542 [0], given: 248

Re: As the former dean of the school for 25 years [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2013, 19:52
Expert's post
Ivan 91

I can see that you want to justify your choice steadfastly, but honestly, I have not assumed anything as far as I see, but only that I have explained; however if you have found some assumption in me , which I am not aware, can you kindly spell out what that assumption is ? After all, learning is eternal from whatever source it is. Isn't it? .
_________________

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 26 Jul 2010
Posts: 278
Location: European union
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 38

Re: As the former dean of the school for 25 years [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2013, 20:03
daagh wrote:
Ivan 91

I can see that you want to justify your choice steadfastly, but honestly, I have not assumed anything as far as I see, but only that I have explained; however if you have found some assumption in me , which I am not aware, can you kindly spell out what that assumption is ? After all, learning is eternal from whatever source it is. Isn't it? .


I think that E changes the meaning.
The original sentance makes it clear that the dean is no longer a dean. If we take option E, it looks like that he is still the dean.
r
As the dean of the iniversity for 25 years, He shaked hands with more than 250 000 graduates.
How can you infer from this that he is no longer the dean ?
Expert Post
Retired Moderator
avatar
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
Joined: 19 Feb 2007
Posts: 2266
Location: India
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 260

Kudos [?]: 1542 [0], given: 248

Re: As the former dean of the school for 25 years [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2013, 20:11
Expert's post
If he is currently continuing as a dean, we don’t call him a former dean; additionally, if he is still a continuing dean, we will not use past tense and say he shook hands, but will say, he has been shaking hands; It is as simple as that.. Especially a verb, which is an action word, carries a lot of connotations with it and I can understand that use of tense can be tricky sometimes
_________________

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 10 Apr 2012
Posts: 271
Location: United States
Concentration: Technology, Other
GPA: 2.44
WE: Project Management (Telecommunications)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 93 [0], given: 322

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: As the former dean of the school for 25 years [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2013, 00:40
daagh wrote:
If he is currently continuing as a dean, we don’t call him a former dean; additionally, if he is still a continuing dean, we will not use past tense and say he shook hands, but will say, he has been shaking hands; It is as simple as that.. Especially a verb, which is an action word, carries a lot of connotations with it and I can understand that use of tense can be tricky sometimes


Thank you Ivan and Daagh for a nice explanation . OA is "E" . I went with "A" thinking that "e" changes the meaning by saying- Dean- and not a former dean .
Re: As the former dean of the school for 25 years   [#permalink] 27 Mar 2013, 00:40
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
John Smith provides information on the conditions that lead jyotsnasarabu 3 28 Nov 2006, 10:40
John Smith provides information on the conditions that lead mahesh004 2 25 Jun 2006, 04:38
John Smith provides information on the conditions that lead mahesh004 3 17 Jun 2006, 19:46
John Smith provides information on the conditions that lead prude_sb 2 03 Jun 2006, 12:03
John Smith provides information on the conditions that lead marine 3 06 Sep 2004, 23:10
Display posts from previous: Sort by

As the former dean of the school for 25 years, John Smith

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.