Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Apr 2014, 02:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

As the honeybees stinger is heavily barbed, staying where it

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
As the honeybees stinger is heavily barbed, staying where it [#permalink] New post 27 Apr 2009, 00:09
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

64% (01:44) correct 35% (01:07) wrong based on 17 sessions
As the honeybee’s stinger is heavily barbed, staying where it is inserted, this results in the
act of stinging causing
the bee to sustain a fatal injury.
A. As the honeybee’s stinger is heavily barbed, staying where it is inserted, this
results in the act of stinging causing
B. As the heavily barbed stinger of the honeybee stays where it is inserted, with the
result that the act of stinging causes
C. The honeybee’s stinger, heavily barbed and staying where it is inserted, results in
the fact that the act of stinging causes
D. The heavily barbed stinger of the honeybee stays where it is inserted, and results
in the act of stinging causing
E. The honeybee’s stinger is heavily barbed and stays where it is inserted, with the
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: honey bee :) [#permalink] New post 27 Apr 2009, 06:32
My bet is on D. Here are reasons-
A. As the honeybee’s stinger is heavily barbed, staying where it is inserted, this
results in the act of stinging causing---this
B. As the heavily barbed stinger of the honeybee stays where it is inserted, with the
result that the act of stinging causes---with the result
C. The honeybee’s stinger, heavily barbed and staying where it is inserted, results in
the fact that the act of stinging causes---results in the fact
D. The heavily barbed stinger of the honeybee stays where it is inserted, and results
in the act of stinging causing---good
E. The honeybee’s stinger is heavily barbed and stays where it is inserted, with the
result that the act of stinging causes---with the result

Let me know the OA.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: honey bee :) [#permalink] New post 27 Apr 2009, 09:03
OA is C

The honeybee’s stinger, heavily barbed and staying where it is inserted, results in
1 KUDOS received
GMAT Pill Instructor
Followers: 257

Kudos [?]: 553 [1] , given: 5

Re: honey bee :) [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2009, 11:04
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
As the honeybee’s stinger is heavily barbed, staying where it is inserted, this results in the
act of stinging causing the bee to sustain a fatal injury.

Answer is (E) - please reference the video explanation here:
http://www.gmatpill.com/gmat-practice-t ... stion/2407

... and more

Image What's Inside GMAT Pill?

Zeke Lee, GMAT Pill Study Method (Study Less. Score More.)

GMAT Pill Reviews | GMAT PILL Free Practice Test

Last edited by GMATPill on 17 Jan 2013, 17:20, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: honey bee :) [#permalink] New post 03 May 2009, 10:14
vageesh wrote:
OA is C

The honeybee’s stinger, heavily barbed and staying where it is inserted, results in

Are you sure OA is C?
I'd choose A. In fact, I insist it's A.
Director
Director
Schools: IIM Lucknow (IPMX) - Class of 2014
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 163 [0], given: 18

GMAT Tests User
Re: honey bee :) [#permalink] New post 05 May 2009, 09:15
I doubt its C!

results in the fact >>looks ugly

Should be A or D. But A is more appealing within the context as it shows cause-effect clearly.

vageesh wrote:
OA is C

Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 57 [0], given: 99

GMAT Tests User
Re: honey bee :) [#permalink] New post 05 May 2009, 09:46
between A and C, I choose C. ( I dont know why A is wrong but thought C's structure is better and clear).
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: honey bee :) [#permalink] New post 05 May 2009, 18:54
Are you sure the answer choce is C ? My say is that the answer is D

If the answer is C, what is "it" referring to ? I thought the subject is "honeybee’s stinger" which is a possesive so i would expect it's rather than it.

Could you please provide with the explanation ?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 11

Re: honey bee :) [#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2009, 03:53
THis is aGMAT Prep question.

OA is surprisingly E!

I marked D. Please discuss.

vageesh wrote:
act of stinging causing
2 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 152 [2] , given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: honey bee :) [#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2009, 06:29
This post received
KUDOS
vageesh wrote:
act of stinging causing

Yes, I've looked up this question in another thread, and the OA is E! I managed to narrow my answer choices to C and E, but I chose C. Here's what I know: present participle + another present participle (stinging causing) is wrong because you don't know whether the first one is modifying the second one or the vise versa. That eliminates answer choices A, B,and D.

Another thing with option B is that the sentence starts with "as" treating the first part of the sentence as a dependant clause, so naturally you would expect to find an independent clause after the comma, but you don't. So it's wrong.

Now the tricky part is between C and E where I was stuck. The part that I should have paid attention in option C is the fact that it essentially says, "The honeybee's stinger results in the fact." So stingers automatically result to a fact??? It's illogical. So option E remains!

Last edited by tarek99 on 12 Jun 2009, 06:24, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: honey bee :) [#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2009, 07:46
I agree with 'E'

C. The honeybee’s stinger, heavily barbed and staying where it is inserted, results in the fact that the act of stinging causes... This is what makes 'C' incorrect
D. The heavily barbed stinger of the honeybee stays where it is inserted, and results in the act of stinging (I guess a comma should come here in order to make its correct) causing...
E. The honeybee’s stinger is heavily barbed and stays where it is inserted, with the result that the act of stinging causes... So by POE, I end with 'E'.

Correct me if I am wrong..

"Always....Read between the lines"

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: honey bee :) [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2009, 16:45
tarek99 wrote:
vageesh wrote:
I managed to narrow my answer choices to C and E, but I chose C. Here's what I know: present participle + another present participle (stinging causing) is wrong because you don't know whether the first one is modifying the second one or the vise versa. That eliminates answer choices A and D.

Please explain in a detailed way since C has the same error as A and D ...stinning causing.

Please give kudos if you enjoy the explanations that I have given. Thanks :)

Manager
Manager
Schools: Anderson
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 3

Re: honey bee :) [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2009, 19:16
peraspera wrote:
vageesh wrote:
OA is C

Are you sure OA is C?
I'd choose A. In fact, I insist it's A.

In A, "this" refers incorrectly.

thats why I think it is wrong.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 152 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: honey bee :) [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2009, 23:10
perfectstranger wrote:
tarek99 wrote:
vageesh wrote:
I managed to narrow my answer choices to C and E, but I chose C. Here's what I know: present participle + another present participle (stinging causing) is wrong because you don't know whether the first one is modifying the second one or the vise versa. That eliminates answer choices A and D.

Please explain in a detailed way since C has the same error as A and D ...stinning causing.

no, answer choice C has "stinging causes"
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: honey bee :) [#permalink] New post 13 Jun 2009, 09:20
A and B are wrong since they are incorrectly using the As comparator...They have pronoun reference as well.....D has a pronoun reference error.....I think I'll choose E....Though not very sure about it....

Choose Life

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

Re: honey bee :) [#permalink] New post 03 Nov 2009, 16:54
A : this is ambiguous
B : As …, with … - incorrect
C and D : change the meaning – result is caused by both barbed and inserted.
OA is E
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User
Re: As the honeybees stinger is heavily barbed, staying where it [#permalink] New post 08 Jul 2012, 20:36
I still don't quite understand how is E correct? "... with the result that the act of stinging causes" sounds incredibly awkward to me.
Director
Director
Followers: 113

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: As the honeybees stinger is heavily barbed, staying where it [#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2014, 17:11
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 51

Re: honey bee :) [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2014, 19:05
GMATPill wrote:
act of stinging causing the bee to sustain a fatal injury.

Answer is (E) - please reference the video explanation here:
http://www.gmatpill.com/gmat-practice-t ... stion/2407

Really nice explanation, KUDO for you! E is the right answer though it was a little bit wordy.
Re: honey bee :)   [#permalink] 16 Feb 2014, 19:05