Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Nov 2014, 19:14

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

As there is no "post-MBA forum" (aka I have a job)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
4 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Schools: NYU Stern 2009
Followers: 39

Kudos [?]: 219 [4] , given: 6

As there is no "post-MBA forum" (aka I have a job) [#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2009, 20:05
This post received
KUDOS
Following the whole garbage TARP policy clauses destroying my planned career, many of you witnessed my representation of the position faced by about 50 MBA students having their bank careers taken from them by circumstance.

Of those that I know, for some it has worked out. Including me today. Some friends managed to track MD's from the banks to new firms and "create" associate programs. Another managed to get a transfer in part to his home country South America, though how that will work out in the long run remains to be seen. A friend managed to - after cold emailing 100 companies, and going through about ten interviews - get sorted with a great restructuring job straight on graduating (he was IB, not S&T like me and the earlier folk).

So, as of today I have a job offer. Tomorrow I will probably have a job, and start on Monday. The bit I want to put forward here is the job I have got now is, from balanced thought, a way better and more suitable job for me than what I had. I would have loved S+T, certainly, but this random beast that I have managed to find is that with some steroids and variety instead of the breakneck pace that I will miss. I will still be viable for that business, for sure, and if I want to go there I expect I will go in better prepared on product knowledge.

For those of you who know me, give me a shout and I will happily espouse more. It is a very interesting opportunity with a small team of the smartest people I have met.

So, for those of you in the years behind the class of 2009 - don't worry about not having a job on graduating. Well, of course you will. You get super scared, see money drain away, get letters about loan payments, see friends start at the job you had rescinded... Sometimes the best jobs arrive when you open your scope, and are there when the fun firms turn up. And this happens in the worst economy, so will definitely be a possibility for you. I am not saying a PE or VC or HF job will happen (it is unlikely) but there is way more out there than you might think when you follow b-school convention.

I am not going to engage in the tempting "I am way better off for this than x", but I am seriously happy with the job I have and employed. 5 months after graduation, with an awesome academic institution and a great amount of serendipity with some other events today.

Take a Survey about GMAT Prep - Win Prizes!

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
CEO
CEO
Followers: 61

Kudos [?]: 680 [0], given: 781

Re: As there is no "post-MBA forum" (aka I have a job) [#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2009, 20:22
congratulations!!!!! :woohoo :musband :beer :circle
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2378

Kudos [?]: 9969 [0], given: 3761

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: As there is no "post-MBA forum" (aka I have a job) [#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2009, 21:23
Expert's post
Congratulations. Hopefully the final acceptance and hurdle.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Director
Director
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 90 [0], given: 25

Re: As there is no "post-MBA forum" (aka I have a job) [#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2009, 21:42
3underscore, congrats man!
It's awesome to hear.
SVP
SVP
Schools: Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Followers: 74

Kudos [?]: 689 [0], given: 548

Reviews Badge
Re: As there is no "post-MBA forum" (aka I have a job) [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2009, 05:32
Congratulations 3underscore! :-D

CEO
CEO
Followers: 58

Kudos [?]: 446 [0], given: 210

Re: As there is no "post-MBA forum" (aka I have a job) [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2009, 02:25
Hey mate, your courage and persistence deserve recognition. Very very well done. All the very best for the future.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: As there is no "post-MBA forum" (aka I have a job) [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2009, 09:58
Hi 3 underscore loads of congratulations!! Since i don't have any background to this post...would you mind sharing where you have completed your MBA from? I m looking at MBA for 2010.Thanks! n Al the BEST! :)
Manager
Manager
Schools: The School that shall not be named
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 0

Re: As there is no "post-MBA forum" (aka I have a job) [#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2009, 13:11
Congrats man!
I know that you'd pull it off.
Tell me more, i demand details :D

明日やろうばかやろう

24 wrote:
Your East Coast bias is worse than ESPN.

VP
VP
Schools: NYU Stern 2009
Followers: 39

Kudos [?]: 219 [0], given: 6

Re: As there is no "post-MBA forum" (aka I have a job) [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2009, 05:35
dee28 wrote:
Hi 3 underscore loads of congratulations!! Since i don't have any background to this post...would you mind sharing where you have completed your MBA from? I m looking at MBA for 2010.Thanks! n Al the BEST! :)

NYU Stern. Similar to my undergrad, I managed to graduate into one of the worst job markets possible (it has really picked up this year for second year recruiting).

Re: As there is no "post-MBA forum" (aka I have a job)   [#permalink] 18 Oct 2009, 05:35