Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Aug 2014, 08:30

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

As virtually all the nation's 50 busiest airports are, New

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 12

As virtually all the nation's 50 busiest airports are, New [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2011, 02:16
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

8% (01:28) correct 92% (00:42) wrong based on 37 sessions
As virtually all the nation's 50 busiest airports are, New York's were built for an age of
propellers, before jet planes weighing 800,000 pounds needed over two miles of
runway.
(A) As virtually all the nation's 50 busiest airports are
(B) As with virtually all of the nation's 50 busiest airports
(C) Like virtually all of the nation's 50 busiest airports
(D) Like the cities where virtually all the nation's 50 busiest airports are
(E) Like other cities where virtually all the nation's 50 busiest airports are
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 20

Re: Debatable OA ? [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2011, 05:27
E defnitley cant be the OA. It has to be C (verifie from other forums)
Is it a 1000sc Q? tht explains the debatable OA

The only place where success comes before work is in the dictionary.

If my post made you think, KUDO it. Its easy :D

Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 66

Kudos [?]: 285 [0], given: 109

GMAT Tests User
Re: Debatable OA ? [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2011, 06:32
E cannot be OA. You cannot compare cities with airports.

IMO, it is A.

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Director
Director
Affiliations: Chicago Booth Class of 2015
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 191 [0], given: 123

Reviews Badge
Re: Debatable OA ? [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2011, 06:43
C is superior

Posted from my mobile device Image
Expert Post
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 261

Kudos [?]: 1553 [0], given: 248

Re: Debatable OA ? [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2011, 06:45
Expert's post
The non-underlined portions states an action of for what age the New York’s airports were built. So the underlined portion also should refer to some Airports and an action of for what the airports were built

(A) As virtually all the nation's 50 busiest airports are: The first portion means ‘As virtually all the nation's 50 busiest airports are built for an age . ” with the phrase after ‘are’ is elliptical and has to be understood. The comparison is done correctly between what the other airports are built for with what New York’s airports were built for. Right choice

(B) As with virtually all of the nation's 50 busiest airports …. Wrong … As can not be used to compare just phrases without a verb.

(C) Like virtually all of the nation's 50 busiest airports …… The non underlined portion comprises an action while the first part is a phrase. compares airports with airports were
(D) Like the cities where virtually all the nation's 50 busiest airports are ….. compares cities with Airports
(E) Like other cities where virtually all the nation's 50 busiest airports are -------compares cities with Airports

The OA is plain wrong

Director
Director

Reviews Badge
Re: Debatable OA ? [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2011, 07:01
Daagh
I read Tommy Wallach MGMAT instructor. Let me add what I read. usage of like is superior in such cases.

E.g as did his brother, james graduated at the top of his class. : inferior/ awkward/ wordy

Like his brother, james graduated at the top of his class : better

Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 66

Kudos [?]: 285 [0], given: 109

GMAT Tests User
Re: Debatable OA ? [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2011, 07:07
In addition: What do you think about:

virtually all the nation's 50 busiest airports / virtually all OF the nation's 50 busiest airports ?

Which is better?

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Expert Post
Retired Moderator

Re: Debatable OA ? [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2011, 07:17
Expert's post
Gmat1220 wrote

Quote:
Daagh
I read Tommy Wallach MGMAT instructor. Let me add what I read. usage of like is superior in such cases.

E.g as did his brother, james graduated at the top of his class. : inferior/ awkward/ wordy

Like his brother, james graduated at the top of his class : better

I haven’t read Tommy much; I hope the comments are his won. But, yes, may be it sounds better because Tommy must be a native speaker and he must know better. But non-natives like we have to go by the thumb rules because we have nothing else to fall back on. In the above example, the comparison seems to be between a person and another pardon’s action namely graduation. That is the reason, it is ungrammatical to me, although despites the flaw, it sounds better to me also.

Director
Director

Reviews Badge
Re: Debatable OA ? [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2011, 07:18
Hello metallicafan
In your case there is no way or the other. The bigger issue is "as" is used to compare actions B is ruled out. A is ruled out since I have a superior choice C. I suggest using the format of the exam to beat the exam itself. Hence go with open mind and evaluate all the choices. Hope this helps.

Director
Director

Reviews Badge
Re: Debatable OA ? [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2011, 07:22
Hello daagh
Sorry I will post the link once I get back to my laptop. So that you can weigh in his advise.

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V35
GPA: 3.8
WE: General Management (Retail)
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 351 [0], given: 13

Re: Debatable OA ? [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2011, 08:28
daagh wrote:
The non-underlined portions states an action of for what age the New York’s airports were built. So the underlined portion also should refer to some Airports and an action of for what the airports were built

(A) As virtually all the nation's 50 busiest airports are: The first portion means ‘As virtually all the nation's 50 busiest airports are built for an age . ” with the phrase after ‘are’ is elliptical and has to be understood. The comparison is done correctly between what the other airports are built for with what New York’s airports were built for. Right choice

(B) As with virtually all of the nation's 50 busiest airports …. Wrong … As can not be used to compare just phrases without a verb.

(C) Like virtually all of the nation's 50 busiest airports …… The non underlined portion comprises an action while the first part is a phrase. compares airports with airports were
(D) Like the cities where virtually all the nation's 50 busiest airports are ….. compares cities with Airports
(E) Like other cities where virtually all the nation's 50 busiest airports are -------compares cities with Airports

The OA is plain wrong

Hi Daagh

i am surprised with how meticulously u pick nuances; be it the - the impact of "at least as great" in another question or 'elliptical' in this one. kudos.

could you pls shower more light how to catch these situations.. .

i love kudos :moped consider giving them if you like my post!!

:arrow: CRITICAL REASONING FOR BEGINNERS: notes & links to help you learn CR better. Click Below
http://gmatclub.com/forum/critical-reasoning-for-beginners-82111.html
:arrow: QUANT NOTES FOR PS & DS: notes to help you do better in Quant. Click Below
http://gmatclub.com/forum/quant-notes-for-ps-ds-82447.html
:arrow: GMAT Timing Planner: This little tool could help you plan timing strategy. Click Below
http://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-cat-timing-planner-82513.html

Last edited by Target760 on 29 Mar 2011, 08:41, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager

Re: Debatable OA ? [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2011, 08:36
gmat1220 wrote:
C is superior

hi!

i don't know to agree with you or not. i too had picked C

As learned, "like" v/s "as" could be governed by if we are intending to compare 'two nouns' or 'two nouns doing two actions'

in this case; we seem to be comparing "the fact that all 50 airports and Newyork's airport were built for an age . . . " . . . and NOT. . . "how were the 50 airports and Newyork's airport built". Thus C seems fine

maybe, Daagh can throw some light!

:arrow: CRITICAL REASONING FOR BEGINNERS: notes & links to help you learn CR better. Click Below
:arrow: QUANT NOTES FOR PS & DS: notes to help you do better in Quant. Click Below
:arrow: GMAT Timing Planner: This little tool could help you plan timing strategy. Click Below

Expert Post
Retired Moderator

Re: Debatable OA ? [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2011, 09:14
Expert's post
In C, the first arm mentions all other airports, while the second part mentions the New York’s airports were built for what age. Per se, the comparison is not between all other airports and New York’s airports. That is the reason the comparison is not gelling. Otherwise, we have to say -like all other airports are built for bla, bla) New York’s were -. But while this will be logically correct, the comparison is not grammatically correct. It is best to use a clause with ‘as’ and complete the comparison logically and grammatically.
For example will you say-
Like London Airport, New York Airport handles ten million passengers a year. This is wrong becos it compares an airport with an action
Like London Airport does, New York Airport handles ten million passengers a year. This is also wrong because ‘like’ is used to compare two actions.

As London Airport does, New York Airport handles ten million passengers a year. This is the correct version as two actions are compared by using the comparator ‘as

Manager
Manager

Re: Debatable OA ? [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2011, 16:37
daagh wrote:
In C, the first arm mentions all other airports, while the second part mentions the New York’s airports were built for what age. Per se, the comparison is not between all other airports and New York’s airports. That is the reason the comparison is not gelling. Otherwise, we have to say -like all other airports are built for bla, bla) New York’s were -. But while this will be logically correct, the comparison is not grammatically correct. It is best to use a clause with ‘as’ and complete the comparison logically and grammatically.
For example will you say-
Like London Airport, New York Airport handles ten million passengers a year. This is wrong becos it compares an airport with an action
Like London Airport does, New York Airport handles ten million passengers a year. This is also wrong because ‘like’ is used to compare two actions.

As London Airport does, New York Airport handles ten million passengers a year. This is the correct version as two actions are compared by using the comparator ‘as

Hi Daagh

I am afraid i disagree on this. In your examples, with use of 'as', you are comparing airports 'doing something' i.e. handling passengers. but in our main question; airports 'aren't doing anything - they 'were built for certain age' - they are not involved in any action and are merely being compared for their characteristics and not their actions- hence 'like' is more relevant

comment pls

Target760

Expert Post
Retired Moderator

Re: Debatable OA ? [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2011, 19:43
Expert's post
@Target760
Are built and were bult are two verbs in comparison,. we don't use like to compare verbs
If you feel, two verbs are not being compared, you are welcome to hold on to your views and I have no issue with that. Thanks for your valuable inputs.

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 191 [1] , given: 123

Reviews Badge
Re: Debatable OA ? [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2011, 21:14
This post received
KUDOS
Guys
This is from Ron. Had to refer my notes. Hope this will be useful.
http://www.manhattangmat.com/forums/lik ... 10293.html
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 351 [1] , given: 13

Re: Debatable OA ? [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2011, 21:54
This post received
KUDOS
daagh wrote:
@Target760
Are built and were bult are two verbs in comparison,. we don't use like to compare verbs
If you feel, two verbs are not being compared, you are welcome to hold on to your views and I have no issue with that. Thanks for your valuable inputs.

Peace sir!

i am not contesting with you. am just trying to reason, as you seem to be with better knowledge.

nonetheless, i feel that its not about 'are' and 'were'; its not about comparing the verbs but comparing the meaning. . . I feel we need not compare 'the way' they were built -> we are not saying 'the way' all 50 airports were built (as in the method used behind their construction), Newyork's too were built 'in similar way'. . . we are comparing that they were built for similar age / similar purpose. Zooming out a bit more, we are actually simply comparing 'noun to noun' i.e. 'Airports' to 'Newyork's airports'. . . Thus 'like' looks fine to me.

Target760

Last edited by Target760 on 29 Mar 2011, 23:32, edited 1 time in total.
Expert Post
Retired Moderator

Re: Debatable OA ? [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2011, 22:05
Expert's post
gmat 1220; As a non-native, I do not look at this kind of usage based issues. As I have pointed out, I go by the rules, rather than by custom or style. So if custom is superior, be it.

Since MGMAT is not there in my country, I haven’t looked at MGMAT’s grand contribution to GMAT SC; All that I have seen of them is in those small tit- bits such as what you broadcast sporadically. Thanks for the well researched input. kudos to you.

@Target760: Please don't take it that way. I cherished your writing very much.
kudos to you

Re: Debatable OA ?   [#permalink] 29 Mar 2011, 22:05