Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 03:26 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 03:26

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 6255 [77]
Given Kudos: 330
WE:General Management (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 66 [5]
Given Kudos: 79
Send PM
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 5425 [4]
Given Kudos: 346
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V30
GMAT 2: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.67
Send PM
Re: As virtually all the nation’s 50 busiest airports are, New York’s were [#permalink]
Bookmarks
abhimahna wrote:
manhasnoname wrote:
Can someone please clarify which (C) is wrong? To me, both (A) and (C) look perfectly correct - grammatically and meaning wise.

There is a difference in the meaning of A and C.

In A, we are comparing the way two airports are built.

But in C, we are comparing the two airports.

So, We need to make sure meaning of the original sentence is maintained. That's why C is incorrect and A is correct.

don't know how correct I am but the original sentences given in the questions don't always have the intended meaning
So how can we say the author meant to compare the way the airports are built and not meant to compare the airports themselves?
Both sentences are logical and grammatically correct
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Re: As virtually all the nation’s 50 busiest airports are, New York’s were [#permalink]
Expert Reply
nileshsharma2105 wrote:
abhimahna wrote:
manhasnoname wrote:
Can someone please clarify which (C) is wrong? To me, both (A) and (C) look perfectly correct - grammatically and meaning wise.

So, We need to make sure meaning of the original sentence is maintained. That's why C is incorrect and A is correct.

don't know how correct I am but the original sentences given in the questions don't always have the intended meaning
So how can we say the author meant to compare the way the airports are built and not meant to compare the airports themselves?

Yes, you are absolutely right. But, when there are two grammatically correct sentences choose the one that maintains the original meaning. In this case though, the meanings of A and C are NOT different - these two sentences are equivalent. Such questions are not expected in GMAT.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.56
Send PM
sayantanc2k wrote:
nileshsharma2105 wrote:
abhimahna wrote:

Yes, you are absolutely right. But, when there are two grammatically correct sentences choose the one that maintains the original meaning. In this case though, the meanings of A and C are NOT different - these two sentences are equivalent. Such questions are not expected in GMAT.

You spoke my mind here. The meaning discrepancy pointed out above does not exist. Both mean the same as the "Like X" modifier acts as an adverb to the act of New York's airport "being built".

That said, I have mixed feelings about the verb tense in option A. I know this is probably just a badly made question, but is the tense usage in option A valid?

As all airports are, NY's airports were built for...

Instinct tells me this is not a valid construction in GMAT-ese. However, logically I can't find any flaws in the meaning. Worst case I can say parallelism is being violated as one clause uses past perfect and the other clause uses present perfect. Is this good enough to disqualify option A?

sayantanc2k Would be good to know your thoughts
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [3]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
sanghar wrote:
Worst case I can say parallelism is being violated as one clause uses past perfect and the other clause uses present perfect. Is this good enough to disqualify option A?

Hi sanghar, difference in tenses does not amount to parallelism violation. Different parts of the sentence can be in different tenses.

As an aside, the original sentence does not use any perfect tense. First portion uses simple present, while second portion uses simple past.

Having said that, the difference in tenses is an issue in this case, because the context is the same for both parts of the sentence.

C is preferable because it uses like in the most classical manner (Like X, Y...).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.56
Send PM
Bookmarks
EducationAisle wrote:
sanghar wrote:
Worst case I can say parallelism is being violated as one clause uses past perfect and the other clause uses present perfect. Is this good enough to disqualify option A?

Hi sanghar, difference in tenses does not amount to parallelism violation. Different parts of the sentence can be in different tenses.

As an aside, the original sentence does not use any perfect tense. First portion uses simple present, while second portion uses simple past.

Having said that, the difference in tenses is an issue in this case, because the context is the same for both parts of the sentence.

C is preferable because it uses like in the most classical manner (Like X, Y...).

I did mean that tenses are incompatible because the context is same. I understand that tenses can definitely be different if required within the sentence.

I would contest the idea that the tense in the first clause is simple present - because without the omitted word "built" after "are", the link is illogical - As other airports are, NY's airports were built... -> This construction somehow implies that the manner in which other airports exist is similar to the manner in which NY's airports were built.
So it is only logical to say - As other airports are built, NY's airports were built...

This makes the 1st clause present perfect and the 2nd past perfect. Also, I would think that this does violate parallelism within the construction "As X, Y".
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Expert Reply
sanghar wrote:
So it is only logical to say - As other airports are built, NY's airports were built...

Hi sanghar, this would not be logical. The sentence is talking about something in the past (before jet planes weighing 800,000 pounds needed over two miles of runway). Hence, are built would not be the correct tense. We need to use past tense here.

Quote:
This makes the 1st clause present perfect and the 2nd past perfect.

No. This is simple present and simple past construct (1st clause and 2nd clause respectively).

By the way, built is past participle (and not past perfect) and so, am wondering whether that might be the reason for confusion.

Actually ( believe it or not) participles don't have a tense at all! They just derive their tense from the main verb of the sentence.

p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses perfect tenses, their application and examples in significant detail. If someone is interested, PM me your email-id; I can mail the corresponding section.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [4]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
The point to decide here is whether 'are' or 'were' is an action verb or a status verb. Since 'are' is a status verb, you need to compare the subjects themselves because an intended action by both the airports is not there. Therefore, C with the usage of like to compare the two items is the more pertinent one.

It is not clear what the topic wants to convey. There remains a lurking doubt whether the passage intends to criticize that all the US airports including those in New York are outdated. In that case, there is no need to mention New York at all.

Also, it is ambiguous whether New York refers to New York City or New York State.

Originally posted by daagh on 09 May 2017, 12:20.
Last edited by daagh on 06 Jul 2018, 01:16, edited 2 times in total.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 44 [2]
Given Kudos: 1120
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: Fuqua '24 (A)
GPA: 3.2
WE:Consulting (Health Care)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Gnpth wrote:
NEW PROJECT!: Renew Old Thread => Back to basic => Give your explanation- Get Kudos Point

As virtually all the nation's 50 busiest airports are, New York's were built for an age of propellers, before jet planes weighing 800,000 pounds needed over two miles of runway.

(A) As virtually all the nation's 50 busiest airports are
(B) As with virtually all of the nation's 50 busiest airports
(C) Like virtually all of the nation's 50 busiest airports
(D) Like the cities where virtually all the nation's 50 busiest airports are
(E) Like other cities where virtually all the nation's 50 busiest airports are

Guys, the official answer is C!. This question is from the 1000 SCs old pack.

The official explanation says that A is wrong because of the verb tense "are" , since the non underlined portion uses simple past. It is not a question of parallelism, but of meaning.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 237 [0]
Given Kudos: 821
GPA: 3.93
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
As virtually all the nation’s 50 busiest airports are, New York’s were [#permalink]
Can any expert please answer why C is correct?

Please find below my reasoning.

(A) As virtually all the nation’s 50 busiest airports are, New York’s were built for an age of propellers, before jet planes weighing 800,000 pounds needed over two miles of runway.
I see no problem in this sentence.

(C) Like virtually all of the nation’s 50 busiest airports, New York’s (50 busiest airports) were built for an age of propellers, before jet planes weighing 800,000 pounds needed over two miles of runway.

Here the possessive New York's, doesn't this possessive imply that New York's 50 busiest airports? I found that to be a meaning issue(resolved in A because of the use of ARE), because the whole nation has 50 busiest airports. Using New York's in possessive implies that New York possesses the same 50 busiest airports, which to me is weird as New York is a subset of the whole nation.

What is wrong in my reasoning for rejecting C?

Appreciate help.

Thank you
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [1]
Given Kudos: 13
Schools: LBS '24
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V34
Send PM
Kudos
Saasingh wrote:

(A) As virtually all the nation’s 50 busiest airports are, New York’s were built for an age of propellers, before jet planes weighing 800,000 pounds needed over two miles of runway.

(C) Like virtually all of the nation’s 50 busiest airports, New York’s (50 busiest airports) were built for an age of propellers, before jet planes weighing 800,000 pounds needed over two miles of runway.

Here the possessive New York's, doesn't this possessive imply that New York's 50 busiest airports? I found that to be a meaning issue(resolved in A because of the use of ARE), because the whole nation has 50 busiest airports. Using New York's in possessive implies that New York possesses the same 50 busiest airports, which to me is weird as New York is a subset of the whole nation.

Appreciate help.

Thank you

Hi Saasingh

Not an expert, but will make an attempt to solve your query.

I will first mention my approach followed by answer to your query:

My Approach

Firstly "As" is used to compare clauses here the intent is to compare the airports. So that rules out A and B.

Answer choice D and E compare the cities - Again contrary to the intent of the question and hence eliminated so C is correct.

Response to query

No the possessive case does not imply New York's 50 busiest airports because "50" basically acts similar to a non-essential modifier if you remove 50 still the meaning of the sentence would remain intact. And that's why I happened to read the sentence in the following way -

Like [blah] [blah] the nation's busiest airports, New York's (airports) [blah blah]..

Hope this answers.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 237 [0]
Given Kudos: 821
GPA: 3.93
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
gmat1102 wrote:
Saasingh wrote:

Appreciate help.

Thank you

Hi Saasingh

My Approach

Firstly "As" is used to compare clauses here the intent is to compare the airports. So that rules out A and B.

Answer choice D and E compare the cities - Again contrary to the intent of the question and hence eliminated so C is correct.

Response to query

No the possessive case does not imply New York's 50 busiest airports because "50" basically acts similar to a non-essential modifier if you remove 50 still the meaning of the sentence would remain intact. And that's why I happened to read the sentence in the following way -

Like [blah] [blah] the nation's busiest airports, New York's (airports) [blah blah]..

Hope this answers.

Hey,

Thankyou for your response.

But in A, we do have a clause i.e AS xxxxxxx ARE.

Also I see what you mean by the non-essential modifier thing. Makes sense.
I somehow had this notion in my head that the possessive should refer the entire noun phrase including the modifiers, just like the usage of IT.

Regards,
Saakhi
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [1]
Given Kudos: 13
Schools: LBS '24
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V34
Send PM
Kudos
Saasingh wrote:
gmat1102 wrote:
Saasingh wrote:

Appreciate help.

Thank you

Hi Saasingh

My Approach

Response to query

Hope this answers.

Hey,

Thankyou for your response.

But in A, we do have a clause i.e AS xxxxxxx ARE.

Also I see what you mean by the non-essential modifier thing. Makes sense.
I somehow had this notion in my head that the possessive should refer the entire noun phrase including the modifiers, just like the usage of IT.

Regards,
Saakhi

Responding to this - "But in A, we do have a clause i.e AS xxxxxxx ARE."

"Are" is an incorrect tense here because the sentence says that after jet planes came there were some changes. So it would be incorrect to assume that the changes happened only to airports in New York and not to the busiest airports across the country.

As for this - "I somehow had this notion in my head that the possessive should refer the entire noun phrase including the modifiers, just like the usage of IT."

I would say treat Possessive nouns as adjectives that would be a simpler approach. However, depends on your comfort.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 40
Send PM
Re: As virtually all the nations 50 busiest airports are, New Yorks were [#permalink]
Please clarify, what is issue with an Option A
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [1]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Re: As virtually all the nations 50 busiest airports are, New Yorks were [#permalink]