Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 09:52 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 09:52

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 53
Concentration: Strategy, Healthcare
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V42
Send PM
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30793 [0]
Given Kudos: 635
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Re: As Vs Like: Correct and Incorrect usages [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Dear Thulsy,

Thanks for your question. I will ask Payal to look at this tomorrow.

On another note,here is another article that you may enjoy.

paragraph-summaries-an-approach-to-main-point-134468.html

-Rajat
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 148 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
Would
As with human DNA, the DNA of grape plants contains sites where unique sequences of nucleotides are repeated over and over.

be correct?

thulsy wrote:
As with that of humans, the DNA of grape plants contains sites where certain unique sequences of nucleotides are repeated over and over.
Would it be correct then?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 148 [1]
Given Kudos: 14
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
Bookmarks
thank you Shraddha. I thought "as with" was correct based on Payal's note:
Quote:
Now comes the question is "as with" incorrect? The answer is "no". See "as can be followed by a prepositional phrase", if we see application of ellipsis.

@Thulsy - you have touched upon this point in your response and I am glad that you did recognize that as can be followed by prepositional phrase. But I see that there is a slight gap in your understanding. When as is followed by a prepositional phrase, it is not required that the entity that it is compared with should also be a prepositional phrase. (On a tangential but definitely related note - I like your thought process - you are thinking about the intended meaning, then you are figuring out what is wrong with choice, and then you are applying splits in the answer choices - perfect approach!! Just read my comments below and see if you can add a bit more to your second step.)

Coming back to as + prepositional phrase - Lets take an example here:

"As with any well-executed marketing plan, sales jumped whenever fans were goosed with new media." - courtesy nytimes.com
Here the usage of "as with" is absolutely correct. Why? Because ellipsis is at play, How? the words "is the case" have been omitted to create a much more concise sentence.

How do we solve this question based on the methodolgy above?

More than thirty years ago Dr. Barbara Mc-Clintock, the Nobel Prize winner,
reported that genes can “jump,” as pearls moving mysteriously from one necklace to another.
(A) as pearls moving mysteriously from one necklace to another
(B) like pearls moving mysteriously from one necklace to another
(C) as pearls do that move mysteriously from one necklace to others
(D) like pearls do that move mysteriously from one necklace to others
(E) as do pearls that move mysteriously from one necklace to some other one

When I tried, this comes up a comparison and not a function. If genes can jump is being compared - I tried all three choices with as, but none of them were parallel as none had ability (using or not using can). but then I forcefully chose one of them. Please help.
SVP
SVP
Status:<strong>Nothing comes easy: neither do I want.</strong>
Own Kudos [?]: 3594 [0]
Given Kudos: 235
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Send PM
akrish1982 wrote:
thank you Shraddha. I thought "as with" was correct based on Payal's note:
Quote:
Now comes the question is "as with" incorrect? The answer is "no". See "as can be followed by a prepositional phrase", if we see application of ellipsis.

@Thulsy - you have touched upon this point in your response and I am glad that you did recognize that as can be followed by prepositional phrase. But I see that there is a slight gap in your understanding. When as is followed by a prepositional phrase, it is not required that the entity that it is compared with should also be a prepositional phrase. (On a tangential but definitely related note - I like your thought process - you are thinking about the intended meaning, then you are figuring out what is wrong with choice, and then you are applying splits in the answer choices - perfect approach!! Just read my comments below and see if you can add a bit more to your second step.)

Coming back to as + prepositional phrase - Lets take an example here:

"As with any well-executed marketing plan, sales jumped whenever fans were goosed with new media." - courtesy nytimes.com
Here the usage of "as with" is absolutely correct. Why? Because ellipsis is at play, How? the words "is the case" have been omitted to create a much more concise sentence.

How do we solve this question based on the methodolgy above?

More than thirty years ago Dr. Barbara Mc-Clintock, the Nobel Prize winner,
reported that genes can “jump,” as pearls moving mysteriously from one necklace to another.
(A) as pearls moving mysteriously from one necklace to another
(B) like pearls moving mysteriously from one necklace to another
(C) as pearls do that move mysteriously from one necklace to others
(D) like pearls do that move mysteriously from one necklace to others
(E) as do pearls that move mysteriously from one necklace to some other one

When I tried, this comes up a comparison and not a function. If genes can jump is being compared - I tried all three choices with as, but none of them were parallel as none had ability (using or not using can). but then I forcefully chose one of them. Please help.

From my experience of Gmat study the SC is one of the most important part of prep in which we should spend some time on every question to analyse why the answer is wrong for reasons other than selected by us.

(A) as pearls moving mysteriously from one necklace to another - I can see only one error - usage of as pearls is wrong : AS+ Clause should be the pattern
(B) like pearls moving mysteriously from one necklace to another - correct usage of like - Like+ noun
(C) as pearls do that move mysteriously from one necklace to others - other than wrong usage of as, one necklace to others is wrong too.
(D) like pearls do that move mysteriously from one necklace to others - same as above
(E) as do pearls that move mysteriously from one necklace to some other one - wrong usage
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 69 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V40
GRE 1: Q800 V700
Send PM
good explanation and concept discussion e-GMAT!! thanks once again!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
WE:Information Technology (Retail Banking)
Send PM
egmat wrote:
Hi Akrish1982,

As with human DNA, the DNA of grape plants contains sites where unique sequences of nucleotides are repeated over and over.
This sentence is still incorrect.
1. Function of “with” is unclear in this sentence. We may ask what with human DNA? We don’t get any answer to that.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
Shraddha

Hi,

As in the case of human DNA, the DNA of grape plants contains sites where unique sequences of nucleotides are repeated over and over.

or

As with that of humans, the DNA of grape plants contains sites where unique sequences of nucleotides are repeated over and over.

correct? Please help..

Thanks!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5229 [0]
Given Kudos: 136
Send PM
Thanks Payal and Shraddha for the explanation.

Can you please provide an example wherein the intended meaning changes when you compare nouns vs actions.

Thanks
H
e-GMAT Representative
Send PM
Expert Reply
nidzittude wrote:
Hi,

As in the case of human DNA, the DNA of grape plants contains sites where unique sequences of nucleotides are repeated over and over.

or

As with that of humans, the DNA of grape plants contains sites where unique sequences of nucleotides are repeated over and over.

correct? Please help..

Thanks!

Hi there,

This sentence only corrects the number error by changing "those" in the origibnal sentence to "that" in your example. We still don't know what the function of "with" is. So this sentence is incoorect.

As in the case of human DNA, the DNA of grape plants contains sites where unique sequences of nucleotides are repeated over and over. This sentence is again incorrect because the comparison is not clear here. The preopsitional phrase after "as" fails to establish the comparison.

The correct sentence would be:
As it is with human DNA, the DNA of grape plants contains sites where unique sequences of nucleotides are repeated over and over.

Thanks.
Shraddha.

Originally posted by egmat on 11 Jul 2012, 13:30.
Last edited by egmat on 12 Jul 2012, 05:26, edited 1 time in total.
e-GMAT Representative
Send PM
Expert Reply
imhimanshu wrote:
Can you please provide an example wherein the intended meaning changes when you compare nouns vs actions.

Thanks
H

Hi Himanshu,

Analyze these two sentences:

1. Like honeybees, hummingbirds collect nectar from flowers.
2. As honeybees do, hummingbirds collect nectar from flowers.

Both the sentences are correct as the usages of "like" and "as" are correct in sentences 1. and 2. respectively. However, there is a very slight change in the meaning of both the sentences.

Sentence 1. just compares the two creatures. Honeybees and hummimhgbirds, both collect nectar from flowers.

Sentence 2. compares the way in which these two creatures collect nectar. The difference in meaning is very slight though.

Thanks.
Shraddha.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Thanks Shraddha for your inputs.

I have seen some questions where instead of nouns, clauses gets compared. Could you please present an example here, where two clauses gets compared rather than nouns. I would like to gauge your though process on those type of comparisons.

Thanks
H

egmat wrote:
imhimanshu wrote:

Thanks
H

Hi Himanshu,

Analyze these two sentences:

1. Like honeybees, hummingbirds collect nectar from flowers.
2. As honeybees do, hummingbirds collect nectar from flowers.

Both the sentences are correct as the usages of "like" and "as" are correct in sentences 1. and 2. respectively. However, there is a very slight change in the meaning of both the sentences.

Sentence 1. just compares the two creatures. Honeybees and hummimhgbirds, both collect nectar from flowers.

Sentence 2. compares the way in which these two creatures collect nectar. The difference in meaning is very slight though.

Thanks.
Shraddha.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
egmat wrote:
The correct sentence would be:
As it with human DNA, the DNA of grape plants contains sites where unique sequences of nucleotides are repeated over and over.

Thanks.
Shraddha.

Hi

Could you please explain what pronoun IT is referring to in the above written sentence ??

Thanks
H
e-GMAT Representative
Send PM
Expert Reply
Let us know if you have more questions regarding this concept. We are soon adding a few more examples.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 4054 [0]
Given Kudos: 156
Send PM
Excellent article Payal/Shardhha.
Kudos..and Shardhha: I remember your message,so no mistake this time..hope you got it. :P

I got it right but I'm 5.5 months late to get the award....at that time I didn't even join the Club :wink:

BTW,as you've mentioned you'll come up with more 700+ qs...so can't wait to face those.
Start firing the bullets guys....
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 4054 [0]
Given Kudos: 156
Send PM
Hey Shradhha/Rajat,
Pretty long time guys since I last got 700+ questions on this topic from you...

It would be great if you share some challenging GMAT like 700+ questions guys on 'As Vs Like' ! 8-)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Hi Shradha,
Can you help me with following question,
According to a recent poll, owning and living in a freestanding house on its own land is still a goal of a majority of young adults, like that of earlier generations.

(A) like that of earlier generations
(B) as that for earlier generations
(C) just as earlier generations did
(D) as have earlier generations
(E) as it was of earlier generations
Why A is not the answer? t does compare goals of two generation, which are both nouns
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4324 [0]
Given Kudos: 197
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
bagdbmba wrote:
Hey Shradhha/Rajat,
Pretty long time guys since I last got 700+ questions on this topic from you...

It would be great if you share some challenging GMAT like 700+ questions guys on 'As Vs Like' ! 8-)

hi,

try this...i found this one good

like-a-protein-rich-diet-that-the-healthy-genes-need-to-prod-155864.html#p1245833
e-GMAT Representative
Send PM
Expert Reply
tavish wrote:
Hi Shradha,
Can you help me with following question,
According to a recent poll, owning and living in a freestanding house on its own land is still a goal of a majority of young adults, like that of earlier generations.

(A) like that of earlier generations
(B) as that for earlier generations
(C) just as earlier generations did
(D) as have earlier generations
(E) as it was of earlier generations
Why A is not the answer? t does compare goals of two generation, which are both nouns

Hi Tavish,

In this question, we need to pay attention to the structure of the sentence to actually understand the two entities that have been compared in the sentence.

So let’s start with a few simple sentences:
• Like Jane, Julia loves ice cream.
• Julia loves ice cream, like Jane.

In the above two, it is very clear that Julia has been compared to Jane. But also pay attention to the structure of the sentence. In the first sentence, “Like + noun” is followed by a comma. When we have a construction like this, then the noun following “like” is compared to the subject of the following clause.
In the second sentence, “like + noun” appears at the end of the clause preceded by a comma. In a construction like this also, the noun following “like” is compared to the subject of the preceding clause.

Now let’s analyze the structure of the official sentence. Here, “like + that of earlier generations” appears after the main clause preceded by a comma. This means “that of earlier generations” must be compared to the subject of the preceding clause.

Now the subject of the preceding clause is “owning and living in a freestanding house…”. In fact, “that” in “that of earlier generations” actually stands for this noun. Is this a logical comparison? Certainly not. This is the reason why choice A is incorrect.

So with this knowledge, analyze the rest of the sentence and find out the correct answer. You can post your analysis here.

Hope this helps. :)
Thanks.
Shraddha
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator