Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 10:11 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 10:11

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30793 [262]
Given Kudos: 635
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30793 [8]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 186 [12]
Given Kudos: 32
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [6]
Given Kudos: 53
Concentration: Strategy, Healthcare
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V42
Send PM
Re: As Vs Like: Correct and Incorrect usages [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Nice article! Thanks. Here's my take, your comments are greatly appreciated.

As with those of humans, the DNA of grape plants contains sites where certain unique sequences of nucleotides are repeated over and over.
A. As with those of humans, the DNA of grape plants contains sites where
B. As human DNA, the DNA of grape plants contain sites in which
C. As it is with human DNA, the DNA of grape plants, containing sites in which
D. Like human, the DNA of grape plants contain sites where
E. Like human DNA, the DNA of grape plants contains sites in which

IMO: E

1. The intended meaning:
(1) a comparison between human DNA and grape DNA: these two are somewhat similar
(2) here's the similarity: they both contain sites where some nucleotide sequences are repeated

2. what's wrong with A?
As mentioned above, here the meaning is "comparison", not "function". Therefore, we need either "as + clause" or "like + noun".
Although sometimes "as" can be followed by a prepositional phrase (in which case the expression is indeed eclipse from the prototype "as + clause", for example, "As at school, I study hard at home."), here "as with those of humans" does not make sense.
In the case of "As with A, __________." the sentence should be comparing "with A" with another prepositional phrase, such as "with B". However, "with B" does not present.
Also, "those" do not have clear referent.
In a word, "As with those of humans" is problematic.

3. POE
Look vertically. The beginning of underlined part is definitely a split.

B. "As human DNA, ..." wrong.

C. "As it is with human DNA, the DNA of grape plants"
here "it" has no referent.
btw. this wrong expression reminds me of a correct idiom "as is the case with". it's interesting to note that GMAT sometimes distort this expression to creat wrong choices :)

D. " Like human, the DNA of grape plants"
This choice illogically compares human with DNA.

E. Correct.
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30793 [7]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
GMATPREP QUESTION SOLVED

As with those of humans, the DNA of grape plants contains sites where certain unique sequences of nucleotides are repeated over and over.

STEP 1 – UNDERSTAND THE MEANING

This sentence presents a comparison. Similarity between the DNA of humans and grape plants has been presented. The DNAs of both the humans and the grape plants contain sites where some unique sequences of nucleotides are repeated over and over. It is illogical here for “as” to present “role” because DNA of grape plant cannot play role of human DNA. It is completely non-sensical.

STEP 2 – IDENTIFY THE ERRORS
• Clause 1 - As with those of humans, the DNA of grape plants contains sites
• Clause 2 - where certain unique sequences of nucleotides are repeated over and over

1. SV – Both SV pairs agree in number
2. Pronoun Number – Plural “those” does not agree in number with its singular antecedent DNA
3. Modifier – where correctly modifies sites
4. Other – purpose of “with” in ‘as with those of humans’ is not clear. It does not serve any purpose and makes the sentence wordy.

STEP 3 – PROCESS OF ELIMINATION TO FIND THE CORRECT ANSWER

Eliminated as discussed
• As needs to be followed by a clause here to present comparison.
• Singular DNA does not agree with plural verb contain.
• Subject DNA does not have a verb.
• Comparison is not logical. Human cannot be compared to DNA.
• Singular DNA does not agree with plural verb contain.
Correct. In this sentence, the intended comparison has been presented using ‘like’, which has been used correctly by following it up with a noun.
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30793 [5]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Hi Damham17 and Thulsy,

First of all I would like to thank you both for taking the time to write detailed analysis of this question.

What you did well

I appreciate you taking the time to submit your analysis for this question. You got the right answer for the right reasons. Choice E is indeed the right answer and Like has been used correctly to convey the intended comparison. So you definitely got the meaning right and also correctly found out the appropriate grammatical construction for the sentence.

Where could you have done better

Now, I do notice small gaps in the elimination of answer choices. As I have explained in the solution, the Choices A and C have been eliminated because of SV errors.

In choice A, SV do not agree in number. Choice A also contains pronoun number error. In choice C, verb does not exist for subject DNA.

Now comes the question is "as with" incorrect? The answer is "no". See "as can be followed by a prepositional phrase", if we see application of ellipsis.

@Thulsy - you have touched upon this point in your response and I am glad that you did recognize that as can be followed by prepositional phrase. But I see that there is a slight gap in your understanding. When as is followed by a prepositional phrase, it is not required that the entity that it is compared with should also be a prepositional phrase. (On a tangential but definitely related note - I like your thought process - you are thinking about the intended meaning, then you are figuring out what is wrong with choice, and then you are applying splits in the answer choices - perfect approach!! Just read my comments below and see if you can add a bit more to your second step.)

Coming back to as + prepositional phrase - Lets take an example here:

"As with any well-executed marketing plan, sales jumped whenever fans were goosed with new media." - courtesy nytimes.com
Here the usage of "as with" is absolutely correct. Why? Because ellipsis is at play, How? the words "is the case" have been omitted to create a much more concise sentence.

So in choice A as well, we can assume the omitted words to be - as is the case with those of humans, ....- So here usage of 'as' is appropriate. But usage of "those" is not correct as stated earlier.

Hope this helps. Actually we cover this aspect of "as" in significant detail in the concept titled "Usage of As", which is part of "e-GMAT in-depth Series".

Who Gets the Award

- I know we said that we will be selecting one person for the award. However, for your efforts, I will select both of you for the award. Now please note that this selection is not for the correctness of the response. In fact as you have seen, there are some key gaps in your analysis. You both have been selected for your keen efforts.

Almost everyday, I see this - if one error type is blatantly obvious as is in this case - like vs as - test takers tend to focus on that aspect only. Although, this approach may work well for easy questions, it is clearly not the correct approach for medium to difficult questions. In fact, you should focus on all the major types of errors. Per the e-GMAT 3-step process, we say that when you review the original sentence, you should understand the meaning and the sentence structure of this original sentence in detail. This helps in identification of all errors that are present in the original sentence. And this helps in overall understanding of the question.

So both of you win the access to OG VR2 SC solutions. We have solved ALL OG VR2 questions using the e-GMAT process. As you review these solutions, you will be able to see the process in action on official questions.

How to Avail the Award

- Send me an email at payal@e-gmat.com with your GMATClub ID and e-gmat username. We will then enable your access to the course.

Keep up your good efforts!! Let learning be an enjoyable and continuous experience...

Regards,

Payal

damham17 wrote:

My thought process behind answer E:
The sentence is trying to convey how the DNA of grape plants behave similarly to human DNA (a comparison).
"As" needs to be followed by a clause and there is no verb in "As with those of humans"
"As" must be followed by a clause so B can be thrown out.
C can be thrown out because "it" is ambiguous.
"Like" must be followed by a noun. D can be thrown out because human is being compared to DNA which is incorrect.

E is correct. "Like" is followed by the noun "human DNA" demonstrating proper usage.

thulsy wrote:
Nice article! Thanks. Here's my take, your comments are greatly appreciated.
IMO: E

1. The intended meaning:
(1) a comparison between human DNA and grape DNA: these two are somewhat similar
(2) here's the similarity: they both contain sites where some nucleotide sequences are repeated

2. what's wrong with A?
As mentioned above, here the meaning is "comparison", not "function". Therefore, we need either "as + clause" or "like + noun".
Although sometimes "as" can be followed by a prepositional phrase (in which case the expression is indeed eclipse from the prototype "as + clause", for example, "As at school, I study hard at home."), here "as with those of humans" does not make sense.
In the case of "As with A, __________." the sentence should be comparing "with A" with another prepositional phrase, such as "with B". However, "with B" does not present.
Also, "those" do not have clear referent.
In a word, "As with those of humans" is problematic.

3. POE
Look vertically. The beginning of underlined part is definitely a split.

B. "As human DNA, ..." wrong.

C. "As it is with human DNA, the DNA of grape plants"
here "it" has no referent.
btw. this wrong expression reminds me of a correct idiom "as is the case with". it's interesting to note that GMAT sometimes distort this expression to creat wrong choices :)

D. " Like human, the DNA of grape plants"
This choice illogically compares human with DNA.

E. Correct.
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30793 [4]
Send PM
Kudos