Hi Accepted team,
Hope you can give my profile an evaluate! I'm not applying until 2014, so I'd love to hear about your advice on ways to further strengthening my profile before application date! Background: Asian American Male / 26
1) Brief description of your full-time work experience. What do you do?
Work experience: 1 yr PE, 1 yr non-profit, 2 yrs MBB (in that order, 2 yrs at MBB at matriculation).
GMAT: 740 (Q49 V42 IR 7)
3) College Info
Top 10 University (Business). 3.7 GPA
4) Significant college / post college involvement
- significant leadership position in college
- Co-founder of several still existing non-profit student clubs
- Post Uni: not significant but looking to get into more positions.
5) Important certification: CFA I + II. Expecting to get III before application.
6) Target program: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, Columbia, MIT.
7) When do you plan to apply? 2014
8) Post MBA goals: Strategy / entrepreneurship
Thanks for your post. I think you are applying appropriately and have chosen your schools well. You may also want to consider Booth and Haas.
To strengthen your profile, do get involved in something outside of work. You don't have to do tons of stuff, but make a serious commitment to something. Also, if you haven't traveled or if you haven't been exposed to multiple cultures, then try to get that exposure. I know you said you're Asian American, which could mean that you are constantly back and forth to Asia, or it could mean your family has been in the U.S. for generations. If the former, you have it. If the latter, my advice holds.
You sound like you really know what you need to do, but if you are looking for a succinct approach to the application process, please check out my book, MBA Admission for Smarties.
JUST PUBLISHED! MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools
Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog