Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Aug 2014, 07:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Asian MBA in JAPAN

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Schools: ISB, Terry MBA, University of Miami, HULT MBA, York University
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 20

Asian MBA in JAPAN [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2011, 03:24
I have received offers from Hitotsubashi University [JAPAN] & Waseda Business School [JAPAN]
I have not noticed any review regarding B Schools in JAPAN & Korea...

Can anybody let me know whats the overall review of these B Schools?

If Life's a Game, I Play it in my way

Manager
Manager
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User
Re: Asian MBA in JAPAN [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2011, 06:04
Interesting choice. May I ask about your Japanese language skills. What level do you need to complete an MBA at Waseda and Hitotsubashi? Japan has good unis, but seems to neglect Bschools development compared to other countries. Most Japanese Bschools attract only domestic talent and the brightest students are likely to go abroad. Do both programmes offer scholarships? I think tuition and living costs are rather dear.
Manager
Manager
Schools: ISB, Terry MBA, University of Miami, HULT MBA, York University
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 20

Re: Asian MBA in JAPAN [#permalink] New post 13 Mar 2011, 23:13
Jock4MBA wrote:
Interesting choice. May I ask about your Japanese language skills. What level do you need to complete an MBA at Waseda and Hitotsubashi? Japan has good unis, but seems to neglect Bschools development compared to other countries. Most Japanese Bschools attract only domestic talent and the brightest students are likely to go abroad. Do both programmes offer scholarships? I think tuition and living costs are rather dear.

I know a bit Japanese, but only basic (actually very basic).

I want to complete PostGraduate MBA degree.

What I heard about JAPAN B Schools, both the colleges are quite good in quality but in JAPAN MBA values less than experience which is a bit traditional view. But Hitotsubashi have a good employment rate & all these employments done by US/WU companies.

Both programs do offer scholarships, but the tution is 30% as compared to US colleges.

But where I differ from your view is
Jock4MBA wrote:
Most Japanese Bschools attract only domestic talent and the brightest students are likely to go abroad.

In case Japanese companies do value experience more than degrees, logically it may not attract domestic talent much.
Hitotsubashi MBA have 50% of international application in class every year.

Though I am not sure about MBA of JAPAN, but I am giving this a genuine thought.

Welcome for feedbacks

If Life's a Game, I Play it in my way

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, International Business
GMAT 1: 630 Q V
WE: Securities Sales and Trading (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 6

Re: Asian MBA in JAPAN [#permalink] New post 10 May 2011, 09:54
I was also considering an MBA in Japan.
Waseda, Hitotsubashi and Ritsumeikan.

I think globally, Japanese MBA programs are under-recognized. This is mostly due to the fact that their best schools only teach in Japanese (U of Tokyo, Keio), which makes it harder for international students with low Japanese proficiency to attend. Only recently (last 10-15years) have some schools adopted English language MBA programs.

MBA programs that are not taught in English never get ranked in global surveys regardless of how many CEO's they pump out.

I think that if you intend to work in Japan, then a Japanese MBA would be just as good as any other MBA. But if you intend to work in Europe or North America, then you're better off going to a 2nd Tier MBA school there. Keep in mind, that if you want to work in Japan, you will need to speak Japanese quite well. Most companies look for a JLPT level 2, even though some companies are trying to make English their main language of communication.

A.
Intern
Intern
Schools: NTU, NUS, IUJ, Waseda University, Doshisha University

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Asian MBA in JAPAN [#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2011, 04:16
I am also considering to take MBA in Japan...
From what I learnt in a Japan Educational Fair held not so long ago in my city, Japan has Global 30 program where 13 universities in Japan will provide several courses in full English..
Some of those universities also offer MBA in English..
I'm going to try Doshisha and Waseda...
There's also International Unversities of Japan which also have all English program but the location is a little bit isolated..

@subhabrate2986 Do you mind sharing your experience getting a scholarship offer from Waseda?
It's one of my target university so it would help me a lot...
Thanks in advance
Expert Post
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: HEC
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V44
Followers: 85

Kudos [?]: 478 [0], given: 431

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Asian MBA in JAPAN [#permalink] New post 25 Jun 2011, 16:58
Expert's post
I lived in Japan for quite some time and considered graduate school there for a number of fields. Waseda has an MBA program, but it is not ranked highly. Tokyo University does not offer an MBA degree (they suggest a two-year MSc in Economics with a business concentration instead), but Keio University has recently partnered with HEC for a double MBA program for 2012. That is probably your best bet.

And to truly experience everything Japan has to offer professionally, personally, and in terms of education, a competent level of Japanese is definetely recommended!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Re: Asian MBA in JAPAN [#permalink] New post 03 Jul 2011, 09:47
I would strongly recomment you not to accept any of these offers, but better check some other schools , for example Cranfield in UK.

Not only Japan is a specific country, but even MBA here is quite different from what many people have in mind.

Both schools are famous in Japan, but if you intend to get a good job here, you must spend a lot of time learning Japanese.

You will never be treated same as Japanese, for years, and especially in job placement. The only chance to get a luck is working for an international company, but they also prefer local Japanese people with international experience, or International people with local experience in business (you will not gain it during MBA)

I have been living in Japan for 11 years already, also I did a research and then a Masters course at one of famous universities. I never looked for a job as a started a company here, but all my classmates are all gone back to their countries, except several people. One Spanish guy got a good job offer, but it was from his friends farther, and company head office is in Spain. The other Russian guy is now wokring in consultancy, but he is unhappy with salary and working hours and every day commuting to/from Tokyo (1 hour one way)

Japanese MBA will never be international. This will be useless .
Expert Post
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: HEC
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V44
Followers: 85

Kudos [?]: 478 [0], given: 431

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Asian MBA in JAPAN [#permalink] New post 03 Jul 2011, 15:33
Expert's post
I generally agree with his ArtEast's assessment of the situation in Japan.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Re: Asian MBA in JAPAN [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2011, 13:21
If you guys are still thinking of MBA in Japan, there is one more good option - consider Globis school. It is not ranked actually that much, but I met some people graduated from it, and they were so glad to have studied there. School has a very good alumni network in Japan, it will offer full time and part-time English programms from 2012. I am visiting them on Jul 24 , will report with photos!
Re: Asian MBA in JAPAN   [#permalink] 14 Jul 2011, 13:21