Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 03:34

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Aside from the essays, how long does it take to do 1 applica

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Aside from the essays, how long does it take to do 1 applica [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2006, 18:45
This is a spinoff from another thread. Rather than hijack that thread, I thought I'd start another one.

Aside from the essays, how many hours should/does it take you to do 1 application? (Don't include sending the transcripts because that obviously skews the timeline)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2006, 22:56
If you exclude the essays, transcripts, and recommendation, basically all you have left is filling up the application form. I would say 1 hour per form on average, at a very leisure pace + 2 rounds of checking.

BUT it is those things that you exclude that are more critical in your application process.

http://phdmilestone.blogspot.com/

Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2006, 08:59
don't forget to add about 10 hours of reading this message board per application.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2006, 09:42
Application = 20 min
Essays = 30 min - 1hr if you can write as fast as I can...
30 minutes to cut the words from your good piece of writing to make it fit the stupid max word constraints

Many more hrs to get your editors to read and send you back the errors...
And Finally many agonizing hrs waiting for an interview request in your inbox and maybe a few hrs deciding what day you are going to take off from work to drive the hundreds of miles to your school to interview!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 256

Kudos [?]: 1580 [0], given: 7

Premium Member
 [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2006, 15:07
Wow guys. Your numbers seem nuts to me.

The thing is, its very different for the FIRST app than for the SECOND.

The first one:

It took me five or six phone calls and probably a good couple of days to gather exact dates of employment, salaries and bonuses for each job. All told, I probably spent an hour on the phone just getting this information.

Another hour filling out the self reported transcripts. Another 20 minutes veryfying data. Another 10 double verifying.

A half hour looking up course names and transcirbing full names in place of "ENG ANALY 1".

Another 10 minutes calculating each years GPA.

Another 20 verifying that calc.

15 minutes getting parent's information (titles, and degrees)

10 minutes deciding whether to pick "Financial Services" for "category" another 10 aligning all of them equally (so that similar jobs dont get filed under different categories)

An hour figuring out contact information for all my extracurriculars, hours, confirming exact "titles" etc.

An hour figuring out dates of involvement for each of my undergrad extracurriculars and and confirming that they seem right (that is im not saying I had 80 hours a week of extracurriculars).

At least two hours reviewing the application for complete data and exactly correct information.

Etc etc.
  [#permalink] 11 Oct 2006, 15:07