Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 13:29 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 13:29

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 99 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Finance, Marketing, Strategy, Entrepreneurship
Schools:University of Chicago, Columbia, Wharton, Stanford, Harvard, Cornell, NYU, Duke, Indiana
Send PM
Own Kudos [?]: 99 [1]
Schools:University of Chicago, Columbia, Wharton, Stanford, Harvard, Cornell, NYU, Duke, Indiana
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 162 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Schools:DukeTuck,Kelogg,Darden
 Q48  V36 GMAT 2: 730  Q50  V38
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
GPA: 3.48
WE:Asset Management (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Re: Ask Admit World/My MBA Admit [#permalink]
Hi,

Please evaluate my profile for the colleges that I would like to apply to. My detailed profile is given below:-

GMAT - 710 (Q49, V38, Essays 5.5/6)
Nationality : Indian

Education:
Class X ICSE – 84.17%
Class XII – HSC – 69%
Yr: 2000 -Bachelor of Commerce - 69.9%
Nov, 2001 -India Chartered Accountant - 50.25%
Yr: 2002 - Masters of Commerce - 64%
Yr: 2009: CFA (CFA institute USA) - All first attempt

Work Experience: Total approx. 7 years
2002-03 : 1.25 years: Auditing/Consulting India’s leading
2004-05 : 1 year: Investment Banking - Leading global Investment banks
2005-08: 3.5 years: Investment Management - Equity Analyst India Dedicated Long/Short Hedge fund
2009-11 : 1 yr 8months: India Equity Sales

Extra Curricular:
Member Nature Club in College
Adventure sports enthusiast – Hiking, Trekking, River rafting

Career short term Goal:
Work in an investment management role for a multi-asset class, multi-geography, multi-strategy asset management company

Please Evaluate profile for:
1) Chicago Booth
2) Stanford
3) Wharton
4) MSCF Carnegie Mellon
5) Columbia MBA
6) NYU Stern MBA
7) Yale

Thanks a lot,
Regards,
Madzy
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Hi ,

Can you help evaluate my profile ? Do I have a realistic shot at the ultra elite schools ? I figure I should focus on the schools that I really have a shot during the first round.

Male 30 years old (31 years by July 2011)

Work Experience: 7 years in India, US & Singapore

A qualified Lean Six Sigma Master Black Belt with over six years of experience managing Lean Six Sigma initiatives within the Manufacturing and Services industry.
Key skills include large program management, strategic planning, persuasive communication, change management, relationship development and team building at all levels and across all business functions, leading productive project teams, and quickly adapting to changing conditions.
A very successful track record of producing measurable results from a variety of different project types across multiple industries as well as coaching and mentoring associates through the Lean Six Sigma tools and methodologies to certification.

Specific highlights of accomplishments and qualifications:
• Completed the Edison Engineering Development Program (EEDP). EEDP is one of the most prestigious Entry Level Technical Leadership program at General Electric (GE) Company spread over 2 years of rigorous Advanced Engineering course work along with 6 months of rotations across different product lines providing a cross-functional exposure to the various business processes.
• Developed and led Six Sigma deployments to self sustainability and measurable long-term results in more than 5 organizations
• Certified Six Sigma Black Belt (CSSBB) – trained and coached over 200 Green Belts (GBs) and 30 Black Belts (BBs) to certification
• Managed major projects, ranging from $250,000 to $2 million, producing measurable results such as: reducing operating expenses in manufacturing plants by $2 million and reducing customer complaint calls to service center by 28%

GPA: 2.8
Indian Institute of Techonology (IIT), Kharagpur. There were no extenuating circumstances , I just coasted through my undergraduate course - the folly of my ill spent youth. Graduating without honors was a kind of a 'wake up' moment for me.

GMAT : 700 - 49Q , 36 V (Planning to re-take GMAT and targeting a score above 750)

International Experience:
Currently working to achieve an operational turn around for a privately held mid size frozen foods manufacturer in US so that the Private Equity player funding it can take it public.
Worked for Fortune 10 firm at their world headquaters in US as part of their New Product Development team.

Extracurriculars:

During undergrad:
Dramatics and theater – won Best Actor award in the Open IIT Dramatics competition

Since graduation:
My hobbies are to go hiking and travel and I try to do that every new place my consulting engagement takes me. To that extent , I have traveled to around 30 different states in India and US.

I am avid fan of classic rock music and believe my explorations in this area have provided me an unique perspective of the western world.

Post MBA aspirations:

Top Strategy Consulting firm in US

Questions :
To what extent have I made up for my poor GPA with my GMAT score ? What kind of doubts would Adcom still have about my poor GPA ?

I really don't examples of leadership experience outside work. My volunteering experience is sparse. With enough leadership experience at work, is the lack of leadership experience outside work an issue ?

Are my dreams schools of Tuck, Chicago, Yale, Darden or Wharton possible with a poor GPA ? What are my chances with LBS, IMD and INSEAD ?

Regards,
Anshuman
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V31
GPA: 4
Send PM
Hi,

I am writing to gather some of your insight as to how should i increase my extra curricular involvement.

My current level of activities involve sketching and singing. However, I don't know how should I act to be able to show some leadership in these areas.

Please give some suggestions as to what should i start doing. I have just started on preparing for gmat. I need to have some strong extracurriculars to show by the time i apply to schools.

Thank you
Own Kudos [?]: 99 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
MegW wrote:
Hi,

I am writing to gather some of your insight as to how should i increase my extra curricular involvement.

My current level of activities involve sketching and singing. However, I don't know how should I act to be able to show some leadership in these areas.

Please give some suggestions as to what should i start doing. I have just started on preparing for gmat. I need to have some strong extracurriculars to show by the time i apply to schools.

Thank you

Hi MegW,

Extra-curricular activities are evaluated in a somewhat similar fashion as professional experiences. An AdCom tries to understand the level of involvement of the candidate in any such activity, and judges that by the stories presented. For example, a candidate who has been deeply involved in a given activity for a significant period will be able to demonstrate progress and achievements - individually or as a group leader, and will probably have faced a certain number of challenges as well. As an MBA interviewer, I always try to pressure-test a candidate's involvement in extracurricular activities by requesting her to discuss a challenging or a proud moment - the level of detail she is able to provide is a good indication of how deep her involvement was.

In your case, think about singing or sketching, or indeed, any other activity on similar lines. Can you show any awards and recognition for these? Are you able to demonstrate leadership, e.g. organizing a group for a competition? How about a challenging project you may have taken up, e.g. a mural that needed to be completed in a short time frame that you might have had to guide a team for? Do you feel like these activities may have contributed to your growth as a person? If so, how?

These are just examples but hopefully they give you an idea of how to position your experiences. I would start by giving some thought to noteworthy moments throughout your involvement in these activities, and explore if there are ways you can be even more involved. I would be careful to not make it look like you signed up for a bunch of stuff at the last moment though - that can seem like involvement only for the sake of the MBA application. Candidates often book time with one of our consultants to brainstorm, especially for situations like these that involve exploration and positioning. If you are thinking of doing something similar, send us an email at MBAConsult@MyMBAAdmit.com, and we will continue chatting.

If you like this post, give us a Kudos. Much appreciated!

Want us to cover something else? Reply to this thread.

Check out our services at My MBA Admit or email us at MBAConsult@MyMBAAdmit.com for a Free Initial Consultation.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6