Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Aug 2014, 09:05

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Ask Admit World/My MBA Admit

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
1 KUDOS received
MBA Admissions Consulting
Schools: University of Chicago, Columbia, Wharton, Stanford, Harvard, Cornell, NYU, Duke, Indiana
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 94 [1] , given: 0

Re: Ask MyMBAAdmit [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2010, 09:15
This post received
KUDOS
GMATClub members,

Our founder at My MBA Admit will be participating in a panel for potential MBA applicants, sponsored by Kaplan. The questions covered will be those faced by every MBA candidate, such as choosing the right business school, tackling the MBA application, post-MBA career opportunities, etc.

Click on the link to REGISTER NOW for a fantastic opportunity to meet alumni from the top business schools across the US!

Date: Next Thursday, March 25
Time: 7-9 pm
Address: 888 7th Avenue @ 56th Street- 22nd Floor Auditorium

Complete Details below:
Business School Alumni Panel

Featuring Booth, Harvard, Kellogg, MIT & Stern

As Kaplan continues to provide you, a prospective MBA, with top GMAT preparation we also want to ensure you have a holistic view at what business school is all about. To that point we’d like to invite you to attend this upcoming panel.

Business School Alumni Panel

Thursday, March 25th

6:30pm Welcome, Refreshments & Networking with MBAs

7:00pm Main Panel with Q&A

Kaplan Inc. Headquarters

888 7th Avenue @ 56th Street- 22nd Floor Auditorium

The Business School Alumni Panel will be moderated by Andrew Mitchell, Chicago Booth MBA and Kaplan’s Assistant Director of Pre Business Programs, and will cover topics including:

* What B-school is right for you
* How to best tackle the application process
* The experience of b-school itself
* Career and life after an MBA
* Q&A and much more

Featured Panelists:

Heather Hammond; Kellogg Graduate School of Management at Northwestern University

Consultant with Russell Reynolds Associates where she is focused on conducting assignments for financial services clients, with a focus on investment banking, sales and trading and capital markets positions.

Andrew Immerman; Harvard Business School

Portfolio Manager at CR Intrinsic Investors, LLC, a division of SAC Capital Advisors, LP. Prior to joining Intrinsic, Mr. Immerman spent four years as an Investment Analyst at Viking Global Investors LP, responsible for identifying and researching investment ideas across industries.

Khyati Soparkar; Booth Graduate School of Business at University of Chicago

Marketer for the financial services and higher education industries before and after her MBA. She currently coaches and mentors business school applicants on all aspects of the admissions process at her company My MBA Admit (http://mymbaadmit.com/).

Lisa Stringer; New York University - Leonard N Stern School of Business

Lead Project Manager of Kaplan’s business systems. Prior to overseeing the business systems she managed Kaplan’s Inventory and Pre-College relationships. Before Kaplan, and prior to business school, Lisa was a 3rd grade teacher.

Lee Weiss; MIT Sloan School of Management

Pre-College Faculty Manager for Manhattan overseeing 75+ teachers and working closely with the sales, marketing and service teams. Prior to joining Kaplan Inc., from business school, Lee was a Global Leadership Express recruit of American Express Inc., where he worked in the Risk, Information and Banking Group on New Accounts and on M&A Deals and Partnerships.

My MBA Admit
Khyati Soparkar, Lead Consultant
MBA Admissions Consultants
New York, NY

Contact us for a Free Initial Consultation

Just starting the MBA application process? Our Candidate Profiling and School Selection report is currently offered for $100 only! This 10-page report conducts a multidimensional profile evaluation, and provides you with a comprehensive list of business schools that match. Click to Find Out More!

MBAConsult@MyMBAAdmit.com

Read the My MBA Admit Blog

Follow My MBA Admit on Twitter and Facebook!

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Schools: University of Chicago, Columbia, Wharton, Stanford, Harvard, Cornell, NYU, Duke, Indiana

Re: Ask MyMBAAdmit [#permalink] New post 24 Mar 2010, 08:44
This post received
KUDOS
To all our My MBA Admit thread participants and readers:

I want to apologize for not being able to answer your recent questions as promptly as we usually do. We have been busy preparing for My MBA Admit at a Kaplan panel tomorrow in NYC where we will be answering questions from more than 100 applicants to business school.

Besides that, we have had great demand for our affordable Waitlist Consultations and Interview preparation sessions beginning at $100 and the newest product in our portfolio, the Candidate Profiling and School Selection tool currently being offered at a discount, and it's been a bit crazy around here!

However, we run this thread to help MBA applicants, and promise that we will get to your evaluations very soon. As a special thank you for your patience, we will be happy to offer you the first 30 minutes free when you sign up for one of our Comprehensive Consulting Packages (both for Schools and Volume Discounts). Just mention "March Week 3"!

Thanks again for posting - we look forward to sending out our evaluations and answers very soon!

My MBA Admit
New York, NY

Just starting the MBA application process? Our Candidate Profiling and School Selection report is currently offered for $100 only! This 10-page report conducts a multidimensional profile evaluation, and provides you with a comprehensive list of business schools that match. Click to Find Out More!

1 KUDOS received

Re: Ask MyMBAAdmit [#permalink] New post 07 May 2010, 13:24
This post received
KUDOS
We will be collecting all our profile evaluations and application review responses posted at GMATClub and other forums under the MyMBAAdmit thread to provide a single resource for our readers.

Younger applicant from Uzbekistan with strong academics targets second-tier business schools.

Rare wrote:
Hello, below is a summary of my profile. The information may seem not concise, cause I wanted to mention all key points.

Nationality: Uzbekistan

Undergrad GPA: 3.8 at XXX, a top university in Uzbekistan but not well known elsewhere. My major is international economics and finance (5 years study). I was good in economic subjects, received top scores in paper works and was a winner of intercollegiate competition on macro and micro economics (2nd place). Also I participated and was the best speaker in debate club; my final student paper was selected as the best one. (btw, the gpa conversion table is not quite proper to my university where failing ends at 55%, whereas at your table it's 65%. So, I think 91% which is 3,6 at Princeton conversion table should be 3,8 for my university)

GMAT 670 (Q46 V37), AWA 5: The score could have been improved by Q section. My major in high school was math and I was going to apply to MA in economics for which I prepared GRE subject test in math. Thus I was already quit strong in math and didn’t prepare for GMAT. The marginal utility of spending time to verbal was higher to me. Another problem with low score is that at the moment of preparation at my organization I got an increase in a position which broadened my tasks and decreased free time.

TOEFL: expect it to be around 100. The weakness is lack of speech practice

Work Experience: by fall 2010 will be 2 years. I hold several positions in 2 organizations. Firstly I worked abroad as a business development consultant (afghanistan). Tasks included preparation of grant proposals and writing of business plans. Then I worked for NGO which focused on environment issues. Here my responsibilities relate to finance and administration (budgets, financial reports, recruitment, conduction of conferences, logistics). At this NGO which aims at conservation of unique biodiversity in degraded areas near Aral Sea I had an increase in position. An organization is not big thus I don’t have people to manage except driver, guards etc  Special about my experience is that I learned how to manage a project, be disciplined and able to work hard under pressure. I have improved my skills in preparation of financial statement, learned good basics of communication skills. In both organization we had a good team work highly interdependent on each person.

Extracurricular activities: during my undergraduate I had two experiences related to community service. Firstly, I accepted documents of new coming student willing to apply to my university. I took their docs, answered questions etc. Secondly, as a member of youth movement I taught for 2 months English language to students at high schools. Well, also I like assisting in improving of other blog users’ AWA skills  by checking their essays and commenting on them

Future goals/my application: 1) I’m applying to MSc in economics and business admin focused on environment and sustainable use of natural resources (let’s say business and economic aspects of environment and resources). This is my preferred field because I have initial interest in this area. My region is known with its ecological problems and its economic conditions are poor. Many of my research papers concentrated on issues of natural resource management; currently I’m working at environment and energy project. A recognized MSc degree in this field will differentiate me from other environmentalists in my region, teach me contemporary soft and hard skills to be obtained during MSc and many other things. Besides, I want to apply to MBA programs which major in accounting. As noticed, I studied economics, prepared financial statements, and now I am responsible for financial side of the environment project. Final goal is to open a project/enterprise where I would use my skills and experience. The organization should clearly help develop community since simple earning of money has no sense to me.

Target programs: I would like to apply to second tier schools such as fisher, olin, boston, thunderbird etc. Since my gpa and gmat scores fall into average scores of these schools, my concern is getting good scholarship. Application deadlines are also of a concern. Many of the programs’ deadlines have already expired.

Hi Rare,

It's been some time since we received this request from you and I am not sure if you are still looking for an answer. If you are, I am including a brief evaluation of your profile below from three perspectives of academic, professional and personal.

Based on your target programs at second-tier schools, your GMAT score of 670 is strong. Your undergraduate GPA, if it is 3.8 as per your conversion, is another favorable point in your application, as are your relevant majors of economics and finance for a graduate degree in business. Even if your university in Uzbekistan is not well-known, your numbers and achievements are unquestionably impressive. Hence, from an academic perspective, I see no concerns in your application.

Since you are a younger applicant, admission committees understand that you will have relatively little leadership experience. Hence, not having direct reports isn't a major concern. However, 2 years is relatively light, more so since you held two positions within that time, which could potentially be seen as a lack of depth of experience. The advantages though are the breadth as well as diversity of experience, which if presented well, could partially mitigate the shorter length. In order to guide you better in this area, I would like to understand the amount of time spent at each position, more on what you plan to do with your degree, and of course, which degree you are applying - MSc or a MBA (since I wasn't clear from what you said above).

Your extra-curricular activities sound interesting, and I am sure we can draw out good stories to present your soft skills in a community service context. However, you also mentioned that these are from your time as an undergraduate student. If you have more recent examples, they would be more effective in presenting you as a well-rounded candidate. Finally, being from Uzbekistan is a point in your favor since it is an under-represented area. If we work together, I would very much like to focus on that for examples that could help differentiate you from the competition.

If you have already applied and have accepted, all the best! If you are still looking for assistance, feel free to drop us a line at mbaconsult@mymbaadmit.com to discuss your application further. Check out our Volume Discounts and Application Packages tailored to your admission needs.

My MBA Admit
New York, NY

1 KUDOS received

Re: Ask MyMBAAdmit [#permalink] New post 07 May 2010, 13:48
This post received
KUDOS
We will be collecting all our profile evaluations and application review responses posted at GMATClub and other forums under the MyMBAAdmit thread to provide a single resource for our readers.

Older applicant with engineering background weighs b-school options, particularly for Europe.

splater wrote:
Hello, could you please review my profile and recommend bschools?

undergrad gpa from unranked NH state school: 3.1 (although 3.7 gpa combined junior/senior years). psychology major.
gmat: taken today, 700 (Q47, V40). Will be notified of AW in 3 weeks.
w/e: 11 years
current position: senior systems engineer at Dell Computers
extra-curricular activities: soccer (several seasons as captain)
volunteering: some, but weak

I have the luxury of a job that allows me to telecommute from anywhere in the world. In addition to bschool recommendations, I would like to hear opinions regarding part-time vs. full-time. Do I have a shot at full time, considering my age? Would love to live/work in Europe if possible.

Thx!

Hi Splater,

It's been some time since we received this request from you and I am not sure if you are still looking for an answer. If you are, I am including a brief evaluation of your profile below.

Professionally, I don't have too much to go on, but as an older applicant, the biggest question is Why an MBA? and Why Now? Since you are pursuing an MBA at a later stage, your career goals should be exceptionally well-defined since you have a lot more experience to base your degree expectations on. Also, the AdCom expects that your longer work ex will allow you to show significant quantifiable achievements and great project and people leadership examples.

Academically, your GMAT is fine, although your cumulative undergraduate GPA is on the lower end. However, having 11 years of work experience since obtaining your degree and having a higher GPA in your last two years should help mitigate that. However, you might want to think of a plausible explanation and include it in your optional essay. In that, you could also demonstrate relevant work experience that makes up for not doing well in certain areas or any extra coursework you may have taken since then.

From a community service/activities perspective, your short description above makes me think this could be an area of opportunity. You will have to work hard at not letting this be perceived as a weakness. At My MBA Admit, we have encountered this issue multiple times and I am confident that we can help you identify activities that could demonstrate a more well-rounded candidacy.

Without your career goals or professional experience, it is hard to recommend schools but if you are keen on Europe, full-time programs in this region tend to be more open to older candidates than those in the US. In the US, considering your age, executive MBA programs would be a great fit as would part-time if you would like to continue working.

Feel free to drop us a line at mbaconsult@mymbaadmit.com to discuss your application further. Check out our Volume Discounts and Application Packages tailored to your admission needs.

My MBA Admit
New York, NY

1 KUDOS received

Re: Ask MyMBAAdmit [#permalink] New post 07 May 2010, 14:44
This post received
KUDOS

Accepted to Harvard Law School. Apply to HBS now with light work experience, or wait to apply later?

Exellon wrote:
Hello,

To start, I have been accepted to Harvard Law School straight out of university (age 22) and wish to augment my education there with a joint MBA/JD degree at the HBS. I would be applying next Fall to HBS during my first year of law school at HLS. For obvious reasons, HBS is the only school to which I would be applying.

The good part: While I haven't written the GMAT, I consider a 750+ likely and my GPA is over 4.0 out of 4.33 with multiple scholarships and honors. I've double majored in business administration and economics with concentrations in honors accounting and finance. I have good extracurriculars including managing multiple business case competitions at the undergraduate level (1 internal with 120+ students, another consisting of multiple universities within the region) as well as managing an entrepreneur competition. I led a team in envisioning the competitions' objectives and mission as well as setting and executing strategy across a wide variety of areas (marketing, corp. relations, logistics etc.). This is in addition to other misc extracurrics I have. The manager of the student affairs at my university is willing to vouch for me with detailed feedback since we worked closely together on multiple events. I have a history of advocating for more case-based learning at the undergraduate level including coordinating workshops and culminating in me organizing the aforementioned internal case competition for 1st- and 2nd-year business undergrad students. I think I've demonstrated strong affinity for case-based learning which I can leverage in my applications essays. I also interview pretty well.

Now comes the bad part. I have only 3 years of part-time work experience as a real estate agent. I understand this will be a huge obstacle considering top schools want full-time work experience and preferably at an organization with a supervisor(s) who could vouch for me. Real estate agents are generally not supervised so I have no real professional references in this regard. I hope that my aforementioned recc from the student affairs manager will somewhat substitute for this. My other 2 references would both come from professors who taught case-based seminars over a semester. I achieved top grades in both classes and I expect sterling and somewhat detailed recommendations from both. I will try to work with them to tailor my reccs. I may also try to start a non-profit this summer if that would help since I have a few ideas and many connections. Lastly, I'm from Canada and my school is relatively unknown internationally.

With all that said, what do you think my odds of success are? Should I even bother attempting to seek admission to HBS without the work experience? Should I graduate law school first, earn 2yrs of WE and try then? I don't mind trying now if I have a 10-20% chance of success since my GMAT score will be valid for 5 years and saving a yr would be nice. It's definitely possible that I'll try to earn an MBA at HBS later if not now.

I think I can weave together a convincing narrative for why a JD/MBA will further my goals and I am confident I can write good essays about my management/leadership experience during the organization of the case competitions. I was thinking my management experience could act as a representation of my professional ability in lieu of my lack of work experience. What do you think?

Hi Exellon,

It's been some time since we received this request from you and I am not sure if you are still looking for an answer. If you are, I am including a brief evaluation of your profile below.

To begin with, as academics are your strong point. Your GPA is impressive, your majors are relevant (even if your university is relatively unknown) and if your GMAT score is as you expect, you are all set in that area. Your community service activities seem strong too and a glowing recommendation from a quasi-supervisor should further supplement that section. MBA applications are evaluated from a academic, personal and professional perspective, and I think the first two seem pretty strong for you.

Since you mentioned "accepted straight out of university", I am not certain if you have already graduated or are currently a senior. If you are still a senior or even a recent graduate, Harvard actively encourages younger applicants. Also, if you are in college or got done recently, that partly excuses you from having to demonstrate significant full-time experience as well. Continuing this chain of thought, having three years of part-time experience at a real job, presumably while you were in college, shows drive and initiative and works to your benefit. I understand the concern about recommendation letters but if you are a recent graduate, academic recommenders are perfectly acceptable. One of my own recommenders was a professor too, even though I was applying with a few years of work experience. Lastly, having an admit from Harvard Law School won't hurt at all. If one school saw fit to admit you, the other could be persuaded as well!

In summary, give it a shot. I do think that you have a fighting chance. When we work with our clients, we help them develop a complete strategy, pick their most relevant experiences and present compelling stories that demonstrate both quantifiable achievements and soft skills to the AdCom. Feel free to drop us a line at mbaconsult@mymbaadmit.com if you think we can help. Check out our http://www.mymbaadmit.com/Consultations.html tailored to your admission needs.

My MBA Admit
New York, NY

1 KUDOS received

Re: Ask MyMBAAdmit [#permalink] New post 08 May 2010, 11:45
This post received
KUDOS

Indian IT engineer evaluates chances for part-time programs at Kellogg or Booth.

atish wrote:
Hello,

I would appreciate your perspective on my profile.

Nationality: Indian
Job Type: IT (System Architect)
Gosh I know, now for some good news

GMAT 710(Q51,V34) AWA 6.0
GPA 3.4
Work Ex 5-6 years (Planning to apply in 2011).
I am hoping to join the part time MBA program at Kellogg or Booth.

I have a steady salary growth.
I have a steady growth in my Job positions as well (youngest person in my company with my Job title etc)
Worked for large companies such as Infosys, Oracle, Navteq, WaMu, FitchRatings.
I can get some good recos from my supervisors at work (one of them is a Booth Alum).
Extracurriculars are decent, also I have some time to work on them (Any recommendations?)

A couple of questions -
1) I still think I can improve my Verbal score although it's not my forte, I am tempted to go for the Knewton money back guarantee and see if I can hit 760.
2) I love the concept of rolling admission and since I have only 2 schools I can apply to, I wanted your inputs regarding the best game plan.
i) Apply to Booth, since it's my top choice, in the next few months for Spring 2011.
ii) If I do get accepted then I start to party.
iii) If I don't get in, I re-evaluate my profile and then apply to Kellogg for either Summer or Spring.

Thanks in advance.

Hi Atish,

If I am not mistaken, we meet again :) It's been some time since we received this request from you and I am not sure if you are still looking for answers. If you are, I am including our perspective on your questions below.

I think your GMAT is fine for the part-time programs you are looking at. If your undergraduate GPA is low, a higher GMAT offers you the opportunity to assuage any concerns about your academic abilities. In your case, a 3.4 by itself is not enough reason to take the GMAT again. Depending on how much time you have while working full-time, you could still take it again, just to improve the Verbal score. However, if time is at a premium, you could make better use of it by focusing on other aspects of your application, such as expanding the scope of your extracurricular activities to show a more well-rounded candidacy, work projects that help you demonstrate soft skills, etc.

If Booth is your top choice (as it was mine, and I loved my experience there!), then I think your game plan makes sense. To build the strongest application, focus on what makes you different. You have a good profile with the academic numbers and professional experience in place, but it's the personal aspects that will take your candidacy to the next level. Right now, what I perceive as your biggest opportunity is the lack of differentiation. You have the average number of years of work experience, and come from a professional field (IT) and a demographic (Indian Male) that is highly represented in an MBA class.

Focusing on community service activities and other work projects that allow you to demonstrate soft skills, especially communication and leadership, will help you develop an application package that shows a well-rounded candidacy. I am focusing on leadership since you are at a career stage where you would be expected to have significant project leadership, as well as a good amount of people leadership. I also suggested communication as a skill to focus on to resolve any concerns stemming from your GMAT Verbal score.

The other potential opportunity that you could leverage is within your application itself. The essays are a great opportunity to set yourself apart, both through your stories and your style of writing them. This is where we can help. When we start our consulting sessions, we first prepare an application strategy based off your strongest experiences and the attributes to focus on within them based on the program. If developed well, strong essays will meet both your objectives of mitigating any concerns about your communication abilities and presenting those examples that best showcase your fit with the program.

Feel free to drop us a line at mbaconsult@mymbaadmit.com if you would like to discuss your application further. Check out our Application Packages and Volume Discounts tailored to help with your admission needs.

My MBA Admit
New York, NY

1 KUDOS received

Re: Ask MyMBAAdmit [#permalink] New post 10 May 2010, 12:28
This post received
KUDOS

Do any MBA programs require only TOEFL as an admission requirement?

Applicant:
I have very little information about the admission of MBA program in Australia or US.
Right now, I'm preparing for TOEFL test on June, 2010.
Can anyone show me if there is some colleges or universities just require TOEFL or IELTS for MBA program? I would like to get a scholarship from these.
Thank you so much for the helps!

My MBA Admit:
There are plenty of universities that don't require a GMAT score for admission, and just a TOEFL, or even without, would do. However, choosing to pursue your MBA at one of these program depends on your post-MBA career goals. If you are using an MBA degree only to increase your professional qualifications and are not too concerned with the brand name, a lower-ranked or unranked school that does not require GMAT would fit your needs. However, if you are using it to switch careers or make a more significant change in your career, a higher-ranked school which will require more than TOEFL would be a better fit.

Feel free to drop us a line at mbaconsult@mymbaadmit.com to discuss your application further. Check out our Volume Discounts and Application Packages tailored to your admission needs.

My MBA Admit
New York, NY

1 KUDOS received

Re: Ask MyMBAAdmit [#permalink] New post 17 May 2010, 10:37
This post received
KUDOS
nosferatudracon wrote:
MyMBAAdmit wrote:
nosferatudracon wrote:
My undergraduate GPA from a small state school was 3.26 and I graduated December of 2008.

Although you haven't listed your GPA, I am assuming that you regard this as a concern since you have mentioned that you could have done better. Without numbers, it is difficult to tell for sure if this is a potential opportunity in your application.

Thanks so much for your review. I honestly didn't think my work experience was all that great, just maybe a bit different than the traditional B-School applicant.

I highlighted the section from my initial post where I disclosed my Undergraduate GPA, I'm also completing a paralegal certificate(contemplating law school as well) right now and have a 4.0 in that.

Not sure if this will provide you with any more detail about my academic record to provide further assistance on.

Again thank you very much for the detailed review of my profile I do greatly appreciate it and will look more at the other services that you offer and mentioned.

Nos

Happy we could help, Nos! Kudos (the +1 box on the left) are always appreciated :)

Thanks for the GPA information. My earlier advice on GMAT and remedial classes for the subjects that you didn't do well in (assuming also that these are relevant for MBA coursework) still stands. As a My MBA Admit client, a Transcript Evaluation for weaker subjects and recommendations to strengthen your profile are a part of our process and immensely helpful in cases such as yours.

Also, the paralegal certification is great for diversity, but more of a nice to have in terms of MBA applications since it is not directly relevant for business school coursework.

Hope that provides more clarity. We look forward to hearing from you!

My MBA Admit
New York, NY

1 KUDOS received

Re: Ask Admit World/My MBA Admit [#permalink] New post 26 May 2010, 06:48
This post received
KUDOS
Candidate with high GMAT, varied work experience and ECs but lower GPA assesses chances for an MBA in Finance

greytmba wrote:
Hi AdmitWorld,

Thanks for providing and compiling these profile reviews. I got crushed with my apps this past year, essentially going 0 for 5 (still on waitlist at one school, but not holding my breath). This time around I want to start the process much earlier and set myself more realistic targets.

Target Schools for Fall 2011:
Dartmouth
Duke
Emory
UNC - Chapel Hill
Vanderbilt

MBA Concentration: Finance / Investment Management

Demographic: American, 28 (at Fall '11 matriculation), white male
Location: NYC, looking to stay in eastern US during and after MBA

GMAT = 750 (48 quant, 45 verbal), 6.0 AWA - only took exam once
UGPA = 3.15, bachelors in industrial engineering, minor in music performance
UGrad school = tier-3 state school in southeastern US, attended on a full scholarship and chose school for the ability to pursue both engineering and music interests

Work experience:
2.5 years - IT systems integration consultant for major consulting firm
2.5 years (at fall '11 matriculation) - project manager, sales and marketing systems integration and support for a major publisher

ECs:
during UGrad - started a new chapter of a national fraternity (served as first president), lots of volunteering with an animal rescue group, extensive involvement with university and local professional music ensembles
after UGrad - continued moderate volunteering with animal rescue group

Career goal:
Private wealth management - I really enjoy finding great stocks and a great price and sharing those findings with others. Over the last year I have been using a custom stock screener that I coded from scratch to manage a small, personal portfolio. I couldn't find a stock screener that had all of the figures I wanted, so I taught myself how to code so that I could develop this screener. I built the screener 2 years ago and have been making investments based on its output for 1 year. Long term career goal is to manage an endowment fund for non-profit animal rescue groups.

Other:
I think the definite weak spot in my profile is my UG school/GPA. I have tried to combat that with my GMAT score. I am currently studying for FINRA series 63 and 65 licensing as well as starting studying for CFA level 1 later this summer to help improve my preparation and attractiveness for job recruiting. I should have series 63 and 65 officially completed and able to use in applications. I am looking at taking CFA level 1 in June 2011, so that won't be done in time for apps, but will be done in time for Fall '11 internship recruiting.

Please let me know if any of my target schools are out of my league or if there are any other schools I should add to the list.

Thanks for your advice.

Hi Grey,
Thanks for reaching out to us. It's always encouraging for me to see an applicant who is ready to attack the application process with everything he has! It's a long process, and the attitude makes a bigger difference than anything else.

Since you have been reading the thread, you already know that we evaluate profiles from three perspectives of academic, professional and personal.

Academically, you hit the GMAT out of the ball park. However, being a relatively younger candidate when you last applied (with about 3 years of work experience if I am understanding this correctly), a lower GPA, especially that is not fully explained, can weigh down your application. In the words of an admissions officer at Chicago Booth, "if a candidate doesn't explain it upfront, we have no choice but to assume the worst." For this reason, we always include a Transcript Evaluation, where applicable, when we start an Admissions Consulting package. This would apply in your case too. Knowing what we have to mitigate upfront helps us develop a strategy both for appropriately positioning your undergrad performance across the various components of an application package, as well as identify any remedial steps such as community college classes or relevant work projects that you could be taking to demonstrate that your grad performance will be different. The undergrad GPA is not insurmountable, and the more senior you get at work with the associated accomplishments, the less importance will be attached to it. However, explaining it as I described above will always remain important to make sure there are no unanswered questions surrounding your application.

From a professional perspective, I have relatively few details to go on but I do like that you have experience across multiple functions with the common thread of systems integration running through them. The commonality will help to make your experience meatier while the work across different functions and two relatively different employers will add to your diversity. As above, the pivotal point for the success of your application will be which experiences/accomplishments you identify, how you tailor them for each school and the positioning you adopt (which can differ even for the same example) across different essay questions. For example, we would identify a particular accomplishment that both of us agree would make a great story for one of your essays for Program X. It is perfectly possible to use the same story for an essay for Program Y. However, what will make the difference is how you tailor it to the program and the attributes you choose to focus on for X vs. Y. The same story can show for example, leadership or innovation, but it needs to be appropriately to show these equally well to match two potentially different essays. That's one of the places where we add value.

Your extracurricular activities sound fine, but I would love to know more to make a more adequate judgment. What I do like is that you have continued your involvement after undergrad. Length of involvement is one of the important factors to judge the quality of your extracurricular activities, as are quantifiable metrics, your personal impact, etc. From the brief description above, It sounds like you would be able to provide both metrics that supplement your involvement as well as stories that demonstrate desirable personal attributes from your experiences.

Your post-MBA career goals receive a huge boost of credibility from both your self-built program as well as your prior involvement with animal rescue groups. Career switchers are very common at business schools, but it's important to pick relevant experiences and transferable skills that help demonstrate the potential for success in a new career. The screener and prior non-profit involvement will help substantiate your long- and short-term goals, as will the extra certifications you plan to pick up before business school.

In summary, you have a good profile but would be well-served by proactively addressing your weaknesses, and showing how you would mitigate them to be a non-issue in the future. Further, researching the programs through multiple avenues and tailoring your stories to match the program's expectations would further help in your success.

Let us know if you would like to talk further in our Free Initial Consultation. Two of our services that may be helpful to you at this point is our Ding Analysis (offered in two versions at $225 and $125) and our Candidate Profiling and School Selection report (currently offered at a discount for $75) which simulates a mini-application process to develop a detailed profile and offers 100+ schools with your chances of being accepted at each of them.

New prices coming soon! In the meantime, check us out at My MBA Admit.

My MBA Admit
New York, NY

1 KUDOS received

Re: Ask Admit World/My MBA Admit [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2010, 12:31
This post received
KUDOS
Rux10 wrote:
Hi all, would really appreciate some feedback on my application potential. Thanks in advance.

Background
Sex: Male
Nationality: Irish
UG: Bachelor of Commerce from University College Dublin (top Irish UG business degree). Final year concentration Marketing. 3.7/4 GPA.
Additional Education: Earned CAIA designation in April 2010 (Chartered Alternative Investment Analyst)
GMAT: Taking in September for first time. Realistically aiming for 660 - 710

Work Experience
- Hedge Fund Accountant since graduation
-2 years and 9 months with the global leader in Hedge Fund financial sercvices, Dublin, Ireland.
-Led several internal process innovation initiatives. One effectively reducing Audit times per fund over 15% in one year and another generating $450K in company and client savings.
- Independently performed net asset valuations on several funds worth almost $800MM.
- Point of contact for investor relations department, investment managers, banks and custodians.

Extracurricular Activities
(weak)
- Involved with societies during my UG, none in a leadership context unfortunately.
- I paid for my own education and rarely had time outside studying and working part time for many extracurriculars. I'm currently trying to remedy this aspect of my application.

Additional Info:
- Extensive travelling: A lot in Europe. Also sourced a house and 6 jobs for friends in 2006 when we worked in long island for 3 months.
- Intermediate French and Fluent Irish (like anyone uses that!).

Post MBA
- Torn between general strategy consulting and using my marketing/financial services/Alternative Investment background to pursue marketing and sales positions in the banking industry. I have a passion for marketing and consulting.
- Much less interested in purely quant driven roles.

Target Schools
McCombs would be my #1 target for several reasons. I am looking into other schools at the moment including Cambridge and Oxford business schools.

Weakness in application:
- I'm at the early stages of application and I have a lot more research to perform
- Outside of internal leadership in process efficiency, I have not let a team of people or had anyone reporting directly to me.
- My extracurricular in general is weak.
- My education (marketing), work experience (AI financial services) and post MBA aspirations (general consulting) are not in any way providing a clear and concise picture of my career direction and ambitions. The only thing that would seem to make sense is Marketing in financial services.

Questions
1. Any general advice is very much appreciated. In particular, feedback concerning my application to McCombs would be great.
2. I realise the entire application is on the weak side, is there anything I can include in certain areas, or do going forward, to strengthen my application.
3. What do you think about my top 3 school selections?

Thank you very much for your time, if you need any additional information, please let me know.

Hi Rux10,

Thank you for scheduling a Free Initial Consultation with us. I have just sent you the appointment email.

I have gone through your profile here in preparation of our discussion, and will be happy to do a quick review of your resume as well. If you have any other questions besides the ones mentioned in your message above, feel free to bring them up during our Free Initial Consultation.

If you have any follow up questions, reach out to us anytime, any day of the week, at MBAConsult@MyMBAAdmit.com or check us out at MyMBAAdmit.com

My MBA Admit
New York, NY

1 KUDOS received

Re: Ask Admit World/My MBA Admit [#permalink] New post 03 Jul 2010, 07:07
This post received
KUDOS
"How do I build a stronger MBA application?"

As an MBA admissions consultant, I often get asked this question in our Free Initial Consultations. Hope this post helps answer the most common query across business school applicants.

My viewpoint comes from advising graduate applicants since 2004, my experience in both undergraduate and graduate admissions, and being admitted to multiple top business schools during my own MBA application process.

MBA applicants are viewed from three perspectives by a business school admissions committee - academic, professional and personal.

The academic part of your profile allows for the most transparent metrics with easy comparison to your competition. These include your GPA (both Bachelor's and from potentially another Master's degree) and GMAT score. If one of these is not within the average range at your target school, I would advise you to focus on making the other metric stronger. For example, I regularly come across clients who either have a low undergraduate GPA or aren't very strong standardized test takers, and end up with a low GMAT score. In this case, you can assuage doubts on your academic abilities and thus strengthen your application through a stronger GPA/GMAT, as applicable. If either of these is a concern in your application, we also offer a Transcript Review and GMAT Consultation as part of all our Business School Admissions Packages, wherein our advice on steps to improve your academic profile is tailored to the specific courses making up your GPA or sections of the GMAT.

The professional part of your profile is composed of all your pre-MBA work experience, including full-time, part-time and internships. The point of focus here is not just a summary list of all that you have done, but how this is applicable to your business school experience and your stated post-MBA ambitions. For example, I frequently advise engineering/IT clients to demonstrate soft skills and personal attributes such as teamwork and communication through their essays and resume, while those with more creative/entrepreneurial/non-traditional backgrounds would be well-advised to showcase their analytical and quantitative abilities. Not having enough leadership experience is frequently a concern, especially for younger clients. With our help, business school applications can be appropriately positioned to demonstrate this through a combination of project and title leadership. At My MBA Admit, we start our MBA Admissions Consulting packages with an extensive discussion of your experiences and how they might be best positioned to demonstrate your strengths and mitigate any weaknesses, especially in light of the specific requirements of a particular school.

Finally, your personal profile is a combination of all the activities that help set you apart, in terms of all your life experiences, volunteer involvement and extracurricular activities. In other words, this is the most flexible section to demonstrate your comparative advantage against your competition for everything that you have done outside the requirements of work and school. Examples that past clients have shown include backpacking through Europe, a stint in the military, a lifetime of volunteering activities and independently rising up from humble origins. I often have MBA application clients say, "but we don't have enough extracurricular experience." This is why the business school application consulting approach that I have developed includes Application Strategy, Examples Selection and Positioning Guidance. In this, we identify both your positives and opportunities, review your complete profile for appropriate examples, and help you position them to mitigate a weakness or highlight a strength.

All the best with your business school applications! An MBA is truly a life-changing experience.

If you like this post, do give us a Kudos (click on the +1 box on the left). Much appreciated!

For a Free Initial Consultation on your profile, check us out at My MBA Admit:MBA Admissions Consulting or email us at MBAConsult@MyMBAAdmit.com.

My MBA Admit
New York, NY

1 KUDOS received

Re: Ask Admit World/My MBA Admit [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2010, 00:51
This post received
KUDOS
One of the main questions to build Stronger MBA applications:

"How do I draft a strong and compelling main MBA application essay?"

You have decided to apply for an MBA. Your GMAT score is in place, your college transcripts are on their way, and your recommenders are lined up with their letters. “All” that remains are your essays.

However, as defined by the experiences of scores of MBA applicants before you, including yours truly at University of Chicago Booth Graduate School of Business, it's the essays that can make or break your application. Before you even consider having someone else write them for you though – stop and consider. One, your essays are your story – your past experiences, present goals, and future ambitions. No one knows your story better. Two, your MBA will be a source of personal pride and professional advancement for the rest of your life – do you really want someone else taking away part of the credit for that achievement? Three, from a more pragmatic perspective, you can learn all the modeling and slide-building skills you want, but it's your communication and presentation skills that will truly be your universal success factors - during MBA, in your first post-MBA job and every switch after.

Those words of caution aside, let's tackle the main MBA application essay question – Why MBA, Why Now, and Why at this School? Any essay that fails to answer one or more of these impacts the applicant's competitiveness.

Why MBA – whether the question explicitly mentions it or not, this should discuss both your short-term and long-term goals. Further, there should be a thread of credibility linking your past achievements with your future ambitions. For those getting an MBA as career enhancers, meeting this requirement is relatively easy – you have done X before MBA, and you are going to business school to continuing doing X, but at a higher level. However, the majority of full-time MBA students are career switchers. In this case, identifying your relevant skills, attributes and experiences that can help you, in conjunction with an MBA, to meet your short-term and long-term goals is crucial. This is where the ACE (Aim, Create and Elevate) process at My MBA Admit/Admit World comes in. We develop a business school admissions strategy, and ensure its adherence through every application component. Throughout the process, every plan and goal put forth in the essay is assessed for innate believability, depth of research, time line adherence and fit to your personal profile. We even offer brainstorming sessions that are geared specifically towards identifying and expanding upon your Why MBA reasons – whether your past experience was in IT, engineering, medicine or music, there is always a way to present your short-term and long-term goals for maximum impact to an admissions committee.

Why Now – if the previous section is done right, this should be a cinch. Inherently, citing long-term and short-term goals involves doing it citing on a time line. The reasoning used here should be geared at convincing an AdCom that since you want to achieve A (long-term goal) in 5 years, you need to do B (short-term goal) before, for which you need an MBA now. For example, many applicants go to business school with the aim of eventually starting their own business (long-term). To start your business, particularly in a field in which you have little experience, it makes sense to work for another firm in that field first (short-term). And to get into such a firm, you need an MBA now (direct answer to question).

Why this School - Finally, it is very important to couch every goal from the point of view of the school. As in citing specific programs, classes and specializations that will help you achieve your goals, to make it clear to the AdCom that this isn't a generic Why MBA essay, but a product of your research that offers a sound reasoning for Why MBA from this School in particular. Whether as a business school interviewer or an MBA admissions consultant, it's always this last factor that makes me give a “Go” on the application.

If you like this post, do give us a Kudos (click on the +1 box on the left). Much appreciated!

Check out our MBA Application Services and Packages at My MBA Admit.

My MBA Admit
New York, NY

1 KUDOS received

Re: Ask Admit World/My MBA Admit [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2010, 02:24
This post received
KUDOS
rayecmee wrote:
Could use opinions on whether I have a shot at a top-5 business school? Thanks in advance!

Me: 22,Male,Asian

Undergraduate: Math and Business Double Degree Program

Math Degree is from University of Waterloo (Top five school in Canada, but I am afraid nobody knows it in the states), Major (Statistic and Actuarial science Double Major)
Business Degree (BBA): Wilfrid Laurier Univerisity. Majar in Finance
GPA:3.7

Quantitative classes:Calc,Stats,Algebra, Accounting, Finance

Work experience from co-op education:

Currently doing insider trading research for Toronto Stock Exchange and some professors

4 months Investment banking experience from Scotia Capital ( Top 3 Investment bank in Canada)( For my coming co-op term, Sep 2010- Dec 2010)

4 months Investment portfolio management experience from Sun Life Financial

4 months Actuarial Valuation Analyst experience from Travelers

4 months Financial Analyst experience from American Express

4 months Actuarial Analyst experience from ING

4 months International working experience at Hong Kong Hannover Life Re as accounting researcher

GMAT (March 2009): 740, 40V, 57Q, 4.0AWA

Language: Japanese(10/10), Chinese(10/10), English(8/10)
Etc: Co-leader for a student charity program in the university: create a on-line quiz bank system that is currently used by over 1400 students. Restructure the mentorship program for the double degree program( 60 mentors and 200+ mentees) Stock Analyst for the univeristy student investment fund (500K cash value)

Additional question:
Should I talk about my school and my program since it has no name in the states?
Should I ask reference letter from the marketing prof, finance prof, or the stats prof?

Thanks again,
Ray

Hi Ray,

Academically, your GPA and GMAT are strong. In particular, the high GMAT score will help mitigate any concerns on your academic abilities, as will talking about the college in the resume/data forms to give AdComs a point of reference about your program.

Your personal profile has both diversity (language abilities) and measurable impact (metrics mentioned above). Positioned well, this could be a definite strength.

Professionally, a short stint at so many different places can be a concern, not just for the AdCom but for the future employer as well. This will need to be appropriately described through the resume and data forms, and potentially explained in the optional essay as well.

On describing the school/program, see above.

A letter from any professor is fine, as long as he/she knows you well and can describe your past work and future MBA potential. Do try to get the majority of letters from professional references though.

Hope that helps! If you like this post, give us a Kudos (+1 button on the right).

Check out our admission consulting services and packages at My MBA Admit.

My MBA Admit
New York, NY

1 KUDOS received

Re: Ask Admit World/My MBA Admit [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2010, 03:29
This post received
KUDOS
abhishekaseth wrote:
Hi,

Request your help with my profile evaluation.

Nationality : Indian
Experience : 4
GMAT : 1st Attempt - 700 (51Q, 32 V, 5.0 AWA). Feb’09
2nd Attempt - 710 (50Q, 35V, 4.5 AWA). Apr’10
Undergrad : B.Tech in Computer Science from Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Roorkee.
Currently pursuing CFA. Written L1 in June 2010, results awaited.

Areas of Interest: Finance –Investment Services/Portfolio Management

Experience details (Total Exp – 4yrs. Employer – Citi India)
1. 2010 Mar – Now: Implementation Manager – Consumer & Commercial Banking – Customer Servicing Channels.
2. 2009-10 – Implementation Manager – Consumer Banking – Credit Initiation (Card, Unsecured Loans & Secured Loans/Lines)
3. 2006-2008 – Business Analyst & Project Manager – Sales & Credit
International Exposure:
1. Business/Cross Team Interaction – Worked for CitiFinancial India, Thailand & Indonesia. And Citibank Singapore, Philippines, Guam, Malaysia, Indonesia and North America.
2. International Travel – Travelled for implementation work to Singapore, Philippines & Malaysia.
Extracurricular:
@college:
• Member of the Executive Council (7 members) of SAC (Students Association Council).
o Received the highest votes for the post of General Secretary in Student Body election, although lost in a lucky draw to resolve the tie.
• Won the 2nd prize in the National Level Business Plan Competition – Corpostrat
• Treasurer of Hobbies Club Festival – Srishti’06. Event initially funded by institute, we made it self-funded with sponsorship around INR 500000, in spite of the fact that festival was held in April just after our Cultural and Technical fest and Financial year end. Conducted workshops by International Speakers and other events to take the festival to new heights.
@work:• Rated ‘1/Outstanding’ in 2 out of 4 appraisals during my tenure in Citi and ‘2/Excellent’ for the rest 2.
• Identified as a HIPO (High Potential Employee).
• Youngest employee to be designated Solution Architect and made an Approver for all high impact requirements of CitiFinancial India, Indo & Thai business.
• Ran collection programs in collaboration with NGO – Goonj and Coordinate donations (Clothes, books, etc) from office colleagues and housing society.

Target Colleges:
- Harvard
- MIT Sloan
- NYU Stern
- Haas
- Ross
- Darden
- Duke Fuqua

I need to shortlist this to 5 colleges. Would be great if you can tag my chances in these. Only criterion for college is great finance faculty & resources, should be in US, Good Alumni network, Scholarship would be an icing on the cake 

Thank you!

Hi Abhishek,

Academically, your GMAT is strong, your undergraduate degree is from a relatively well-known program, and I am assuming you have a reasonable GPA. CFA further substantiates your future career plans in IM, and is a strength for that reason.

Professionally, coming from a well-known employer helps, but from the brief description above, I am not exactly sure what function you work in. From "Implementation", I am guessing IT. If that's the case, although you have the numbers in place (scores, average years of work experience, etc.), I would urge you to really think about your points of differentiation since your profile - Indian male, engineering degree, (guessing) IT experience and switch to finance is one of the most common MBA student profiles. Here, soft skills as you demonstrate from your resume, essays, letters and even data forms will be crucial, since that is a routine AdCom concern for this profile.

On that note, your extracurricular activities help to assuage some of these concerns. Being involved in activities on your own initiative that have a measurable impact can help an admissions reader get a fuller picture of your candidacy and set you apart from those who, on the surface, have a very similar profile. Play these up in your essays, and do promote them, if possible, to show your international perspective.

For the broad career ambitions and school criteria that you have listed above, and considering that I normally advise an application set of 6 schools, your list seems pretty reasonable. If you do want to cut it down, research the employers/career opportunities/academic and extracurricular programs through online research and alumni/current student conversations to figure out which ones appeal to you over the others.

Hope that helps! If you like this post, do give us a Kudos (+1 button on the right).

Check us out at My MBA Admit. If you are ready to start applying, we can set up a Free Initial Consultation to further discuss your application needs and our admission consulting services and packages.

My MBA Admit
New York, NY

1 KUDOS received

Re: Ask Admit World/My MBA Admit [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2010, 05:48
This post received
KUDOS
The Business School Application resume – what, how long and why?

Our latest installment on Strong MBA Applications focuses on the resume. While business school essays provide the inside story on one of your achievements in the professional, personal or academic arenas, a business school application resume should ideally provide a bird's-eye view of all your achievements together.

Let's cover some of the common concerns of an MBA application resume.

What should it cover?

The major difference between a MBA and a job resume is the audience.

The employer is interested in how relevant your past experience and skills are for a particular position. However, the business school AdCom is interested in the bigger picture – the versatility of your profile to judge your fit, and its suitability to contribute to the diversity of the incoming class.

Things to include in a MBA resume, besides the traditional professional resume, would be an emphasis on soft skills, extracurricular and community activities, personal interests and a broader description of your profile and/or company, if not well-known.

Things to avoid would be industry-specific jargon, as well as listing certifications that are not as well-known without elaboration.

How long should it be?

From my experiences in academic/corporate interviewing and guiding graduate applicants since 2004, I am inclined to look at resumes with a naturally critical eye. In my experience, resumes that are 1-1.5 pages long tend to be the most engaging. Shorter than that, you run the risk of focusing on just the professional achievements. Longer than that, you are discussing more tasks (routine activities) than star achievements.

Besides, most MBA applicants have an average of 5 years of experience. For this level, a one-page resume is the one most commonly prescribed. Keep it to about 1.5 pages to include all your achievements outside the workplace for the MBA AdCom.

Why is this exercise important?

Giving your resume its due attention in the application stage will also make it easier to cut it down to 1 page when you start applying for summer internships pretty soon after you start the program. You will have enough on your plate then – wouldn't it be nice to have one thing less to worry about?

An additional benefit is that the work you put in will give you a clearer idea of your past accomplishments and help to better position yourself for future career goals. This exercise will help you hit the ground running for your internship search once you are in the MBA program.

As competition in MBA programs grows more intense, business school admissions committees scrutinize every aspect of the MBA application to a greater extent. This includes resumes. A precise, well-written resume will help to attest a candidate's credibility much more than one that needs to be completely reworked. This is why all the Business School Admissions Consulting packages (Elite, Complete or Essential) at My MBA Admit/Admit World were designed to include a comprehensive Resume Review. In addition, Resume Reviews are also available as a stand-alone service in both their Standard and Advanced versions.

If you like this post, do give us a Kudos (the +1 box on the left). Much appreciated!

Want us to cover something else? Reply to this thread.

Check out our services at My MBA Admit or email us at MBAConsult@MyMBAAdmit.com for a Free Initial Consultation.

My MBA Admit
New York, NY

1 KUDOS received

Re: Ask Admit World/My MBA Admit [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2012, 21:43
This post received
KUDOS
MegW wrote:
Hi,

I am writing to gather some of your insight as to how should i increase my extra curricular involvement.

My current level of activities involve sketching and singing. However, I don't know how should I act to be able to show some leadership in these areas.

Please give some suggestions as to what should i start doing. I have just started on preparing for gmat. I need to have some strong extracurriculars to show by the time i apply to schools.

Thank you

Hi MegW,

Extra-curricular activities are evaluated in a somewhat similar fashion as professional experiences. An AdCom tries to understand the level of involvement of the candidate in any such activity, and judges that by the stories presented. For example, a candidate who has been deeply involved in a given activity for a significant period will be able to demonstrate progress and achievements - individually or as a group leader, and will probably have faced a certain number of challenges as well. As an MBA interviewer, I always try to pressure-test a candidate's involvement in extracurricular activities by requesting her to discuss a challenging or a proud moment - the level of detail she is able to provide is a good indication of how deep her involvement was.

In your case, think about singing or sketching, or indeed, any other activity on similar lines. Can you show any awards and recognition for these? Are you able to demonstrate leadership, e.g. organizing a group for a competition? How about a challenging project you may have taken up, e.g. a mural that needed to be completed in a short time frame that you might have had to guide a team for? Do you feel like these activities may have contributed to your growth as a person? If so, how?

These are just examples but hopefully they give you an idea of how to position your experiences. I would start by giving some thought to noteworthy moments throughout your involvement in these activities, and explore if there are ways you can be even more involved. I would be careful to not make it look like you signed up for a bunch of stuff at the last moment though - that can seem like involvement only for the sake of the MBA application. Candidates often book time with one of our consultants to brainstorm, especially for situations like these that involve exploration and positioning. If you are thinking of doing something similar, send us an email at MBAConsult@MyMBAAdmit.com, and we will continue chatting.

If you like this post, give us a Kudos. Much appreciated!

Want us to cover something else? Reply to this thread.

Check out our services at My MBA Admit or email us at MBAConsult@MyMBAAdmit.com for a Free Initial Consultation.

My MBA Admit
New York, NY

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Ask MyMBAAdmit [#permalink] New post 05 Feb 2010, 10:43
Hi all

My profile is down below . Please evaluate it...

Nationality : Turkish
Age/Gender : 27/Male
Bachelors Degree : Electronics Eng. (Top 5 Eng. University In Turkey) / %76 GPA
Toefl : 263 TWE : 5.0 in 2005
GMAT : 640(q:50/v:25) AWA : 4.0 in Jan. 2010 (First Attempt)
Work Experience : 6 yrs.(at matriculation) - 1.5 year as an R&D engineer in top science institution of government.(Project-Based) - 2.5 year as an owner and founder of an IT Conculting and Marketing Firm (Worked with Fortune100 Companies on contracts) - In 2009 merged company with my fathers Construction Firm and working as an Marketing Manager in Construction&IT bussiness.
Rec. Letters : will be from Fortune100 company execs that know me very well.
ExtraCurricular: Member of a basketball team in High School and University (Point Guard:)
Active member of Cinema&TV Guild In Turkey (Interested in directing)
Ranked 500th out of 120.000 Grad and Phd Stud. in ALES Exam (Turkish Gmat) in 12/2009

I have a low Verbal Score on Gmat but i don't know whether my toefl score give an good indication about my verbal skills. And being from one of the rare countries affect me positively in the name of diversity ?

And

I am intersted in applying to ;

1-UC Irvine Merage
2-Univ. Of Texas AUSTIN
3-U of W.Ontario IVEY
4-Rutgers
5-Rotterdam School Of Bussiness.
6-Cambridge Judge

Thanks in advance....
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 2

Re: Ask MyMBAAdmit [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2010, 16:23
Nationality: Iranian
Current job industry: Banking
Bachelor's Degree: University of Tehran (#1 in Iran) in "Theoretical Economics"
GPA: 18/20 (I know but that's how it's calculated there :-D , I don't think it's right to just put 3.6/4, doesn't really mean the same, does it?)
GMAT: 690 (Q49, V35)
Work experience: 4 years
1. one year accounting in a British Iranian oil company (Iran)
2. one year and 3 months accounting at a British school for expats (Iran)
3. one year 4 months assistant to the business development manager at a telecom company (Toronto)
4. 4 months of working at a bank as a teller (current job)

I wanna know if I qualify for good schools in US and also where I can get some advice for writing my essays. Thanks a lot!
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GPA: 3
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 23

Re: Ask MyMBAAdmit [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2010, 02:44
Following is my profile:

GMAT: 600 (47Q/26V)
TOEFL iBT: 104
Nationality: Indian
Undergrad GPA: 3.63
Graduate GPA: 3.37
Work Ex: 3 Years
Work Ex in: 1 year in audit, 2 years in recruitments

Want to do MBA in Human Resources from USA
Applying to:
CUNY Baruch,Brandeis University, Case Western, Bentley, Rutgers-New Brunswick, UT Dallas, UIUC (aspirational)

Pls suggest schools and give feedback
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Ask MyMBAAdmit [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2010, 20:29
Hi,

Below is a summary of my profile. I elaborated a bit since my situation is bit complicated. Any feed back would be greatly appreciated!

Nationality: Korean

Age: 23 (25 at matriculation - planning to apply for Fall 2011 admit)

Undergrad GPA: 3.04 at CMU. I was an architeture major for 3 years, switched to a interdisciplinary program (somewhat unique to CMU- basically a self developed combo of arts and humanities) my last year. I had 2 very rough semesters (one in my 1st yr, one in my 2nd) one of which was probably just a lack of maturity, and the second was influenced by a personal tragedy. the courses i did poorly in were design classes (not really relevant to MBA), and I made the deans list of my school my third year, so I did well in my last two years, am i am hoping i can address the 2 bad semesters in my optional essay.

GMAT: 710 (Q47 V40) waiting for AWA score

Work Experience: 1+ years (should be over 2.5 by matriculation) at a small IT firm. I was promoted 3 times within a year. I actually began in a mainly administrative person (had difficulty finding a job when i graduated in 2008 right before the market crash and was unsure of what i wanted to do at the time) and am now the accounting manager. It is a bit long to explain because there are actually three companies (same owners) that share the same office, so i do work for all three companies at varying levels, and i have additional duties besides accounting that i undertake as well that involve working with pretty much all of the different departments (tech, sales, legal, etc). My concern is that since it is a very small company (less than 15 employees) its difficult to demonstrate much leadership experience, as the corporate ladder is very short.

Extra curricular activities: none at present worth mentioning, but several in undergrad, including leadership positions in a variety of student groups and volunteer experience

Future goals/ why i want an MBA: I have no background in business, have never taken any business classes, and as my undergrad degree is pretty irrelevent, i feel an MBA would provide the foundation that i need to progress. Given my design/creative background, i would like to work in a creative field/industry, but am no longer interested in a creative/design function, if that makes sense. I would like to focus on marketing, with a job in product management or product development to start.

Ideally, I would like to apply to top 20 schools; top 10 for reach perhaps, but I'm not sure how realistic that might be.

Thank you!
Re: Ask MyMBAAdmit   [#permalink] 09 Feb 2010, 20:29