Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 26 Jul 2014, 03:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Ask alex

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Ask alex [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2010, 12:44
Hi, alex,

Really enjoy your post and need some advices from you.
I took GMAT November and got 700 (V:34, M:51). I am 35 yrs old Chinese Canadian. I want to apply columbia, Chicago MIT,and Wharton in the second round of this year.

Here is my profile:
I got a computer software diploma (associate degree) in a Chinese university at age 20. I was a University Basketball Player and awarded Best debater of college Contest and Best Speaker of college Speech Contest.
After graduation, I worked in a top commercial bank of China as a credit analyst and loan officer. I was awarded Best ‘Employee of the Year ' In addition, I also responsible for some IT system such as MIS system, online banking, etc.
After worked in the bank almost eight years, I immigrated to Canada and studied undergraduate business coures in a top ten business school of Canada and graduated with distinction (major: Finance ; Minor: math and statistics.) also, I am a gold key society membership; (top 15 of faculty)
Although my CGPA is not high(just 3.4), I really need more efforts to get the distinction, because my oral is poor and I have two kids as I were in business school.
I have no professional work experience in Canada, but only 8 years bank experiences in China before I immigrated to Canada. I am really not sure if my work experiences are ok for application because the experiences are too far from now. In addition, do I need to retake gmat to boost it to 740+? If I begin to prepare my application, is the GMAT 700 good enough for the top schools? However, if I retake my gmat, I have no time to prepare my application. Moreover, do I need to take other business schools to lower risk? Now, I am 35 years old. Is it reallity to chase my dream?what are my chances at columbia/chicago/Wharton? What is the best strategy for my application? I am looking forward your reply.
Thanks in advance!
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 71

Kudos [?]: 524 [0], given: 0

Re: Ask alex [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2010, 21:03
Honestly, I think you have to readjust your expectations, and apply to other schools.

For the schools you listed, you're simply up against too many applicants who will be more compelling to the adcom -- there are enough extremely accomplished mainland Chinese students who will be younger than you by 5-10 years, who will have a bluer chip resume (i.e. working at McKinsey in China), and whose near-fluent English will give them a huge advantage.

You may want to apply to schools like Rotman, Ivey, Queen's, or US schools like USC, Georgetown, Indiana, Purdue, Texas, etc. And even then, these may not be your best options.

If you're not working now, going to do an MBA isn't really a "way out" -- a lot of MBA grads are having trouble find jobs, and to be honest your job prospects aren't going to be that much better in North America if you just went straight to a b-school that you could get into (i.e. see the list above - the Canadian schools and the US schools outside the top 16).

I know it's hard to find a job now, but you're going to have to find a way through it. Going to school isn't really the answer (it will put you further into debt). What you need is experience more than schooling especially since you just finished an undergrad biz degree.

Alex Chu
alex@mbaapply.com
http://www.mbaapply.com
Follow me on Facebook

Re: Ask alex   [#permalink] 17 Nov 2010, 21:03