Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Jul 2016, 15:56
GMAT Club Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Ask ARINGO - if your GMAT is (or might be) below 720

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Ask ARINGO - if your GMAT is (or might be) below 720 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Feb 2012, 03:15
Dear Brian,
Your assumptions were correct. Thank you so much for the detailed answer!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 206 [0], given: 16

Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 23 Feb 2012, 03:52
Hi,

I will be giving the GMAT in a couple of months & haven't still touched my dream score but definitely try & join the elusive 700 Club for sure (currently scoring around 640 on practice tests ).

I am planning to major in General Management & Strategy & Operations during my MBA & pursue a career in the strategic consulting / general insurance space for at the most 10 years before I start my own venture in the Hospitality Sector

I however wanted a reality check & thought it be great motivator if I got my profile evaluated so here goes

Citizen : India
Under Grad Degree : Management Studies (BMS) Major : International Finance & Finance
Obtained First Class with Distinction
Placed 1st in Special Studies in Finance, 2nd in International Finance & Quantative Methods in Business at the College Level
Certification :
-> Certified Financial Planner (CFPCM), FPSB
-> AMFI - Association of Mutual Funds, India
-> Advanced Diplomas in General insurance (Licentiate/ Associate Levels) - Insurance Institute of India

Work Experience :

Currently working as a consultant in Risk Consulting Department within one of the Big 4's - 1.5 years
-> Constantly got accolades from various clients & have got 2 pay hikes
-> Idependently handled assignments from initial stage itself

Worked as a Relationship Manager at a Leading Financial Planning firm in Mumbai - 1.2 years
-> Wrote various articles & helped set-up the Insurance Planning Department within the firm

Independent Financial Adviser - 7 years (approx)
-> Started this practice right out of school (12th Grade) & have recently have given operational control to a friend. The practice has an AUM of INR 30 Million & caters to HNI clientele
-> I have also helped first time entrepreneurs in the financial service sector during their start up phase

Extra Curricular Achievements :

-> Awarded Gold Medal (Presented by Honorable Vice President of India, Shri Mohammed Hamid Ansari in New Delhi), Silver & Bronze Medals, in Duke of Edinburgh Award Scheme (IYAP).
-> Awarded the Best Volunteer Certificate in Akansha Art Program, 2009-2010, 2010-2011.
-> Winner of The Maharashtra State Angling Association Fishing Tournament-1996.
-> Written various financial articles for Apnapaisa.com, Myiris.com, IFA Connect & other financial journals.
-> Attended Dale Carnegie – Training for Young Adults (4 Day Workshop).
-> Participated In The Intel International Science Exhibition for Students.
-> Competed in the University of New South Wales, Australia ETC International Competition for Schools from 1998-2001.
-> An active volunteer & member of The NGO Akansha, The Rotract Club of Churchgate & The Rotract Club of Dadar.
-> Active Sailor & life member of the prestigious Colaba Sailing Club & Bombay Sailing Association
I am looking at applying to the following schools this October
Booth
Tuck
Stern
LBS
Fuqua
INSEAD
ISB

Looking forward for your inputs & thanks in advance

Giving +1 kudos is a better way of saying 'Thank You'.

Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consultant
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
Schools: Northwestern (Kellogg) - Class of 0
GMAT 1: 700 Q V
GPA: 3.92
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 25 Feb 2012, 09:47
Expert's post
Quote:
Hi,

I will be giving the GMAT in a couple of months & haven't still touched my dream score but definitely try & join the elusive 700 Club for sure (currently scoring around 640 on practice tests ).

I am planning to major in General Management & Strategy & Operations during my MBA & pursue a career in the strategic consulting / general insurance space for at the most 10 years before I start my own venture in the Hospitality Sector

I however wanted a reality check & thought it be great motivator if I got my profile evaluated so here goes

Citizen : India
Under Grad Degree : Management Studies (BMS) Major : International Finance & Finance
Obtained First Class with Distinction
Placed 1st in Special Studies in Finance, 2nd in International Finance & Quantative Methods in Business at the College Level
Certification :
-> Certified Financial Planner (CFPCM), FPSB
-> AMFI - Association of Mutual Funds, India
-> Advanced Diplomas in General insurance (Licentiate/ Associate Levels) - Insurance Institute of India

Work Experience :

Currently working as a consultant in Risk Consulting Department within one of the Big 4's - 1.5 years
-> Constantly got accolades from various clients & have got 2 pay hikes
-> Idependently handled assignments from initial stage itself

Worked as a Relationship Manager at a Leading Financial Planning firm in Mumbai - 1.2 years
-> Wrote various articles & helped set-up the Insurance Planning Department within the firm

Independent Financial Adviser - 7 years (approx)
-> Started this practice right out of school (12th Grade) & have recently have given operational control to a friend. The practice has an AUM of INR 30 Million & caters to HNI clientele
-> I have also helped first time entrepreneurs in the financial service sector during their start up phase

Extra Curricular Achievements :

-> Awarded Gold Medal (Presented by Honorable Vice President of India, Shri Mohammed Hamid Ansari in New Delhi), Silver & Bronze Medals, in Duke of Edinburgh Award Scheme (IYAP).
-> Awarded the Best Volunteer Certificate in Akansha Art Program, 2009-2010, 2010-2011.
-> Winner of The Maharashtra State Angling Association Fishing Tournament-1996.
-> Written various financial articles for Apnapaisa.com, Myiris.com, IFA Connect & other financial journals.
-> Attended Dale Carnegie – Training for Young Adults (4 Day Workshop).
-> Participated In The Intel International Science Exhibition for Students.
-> Competed in the University of New South Wales, Australia ETC International Competition for Schools from 1998-2001.
-> An active volunteer & member of The NGO Akansha, The Rotract Club of Churchgate & The Rotract Club of Dadar.
-> Active Sailor & life member of the prestigious Colaba Sailing Club & Bombay Sailing Association
I am looking at applying to the following schools this October
Booth
Tuck
Stern
LBS
Fuqua
INSEAD
ISB

Looking forward for your inputs & thanks in advance

Boomtangboy,

Thank you for your profile submission and your questions. On the basis of the information as presented and under the assumption of strong essays and recommendations and a GMAT score of 640, our experience indicates you would be a stretch candidate at Booth and INSEAD, between competitive and stretch (closer to stretch) at Tuck and LBS, and between competitive and stretch at Fuqua and Stern. It is harder for me to provide a specific chances indication for ISB, since the school's profile has been changing rapidly since its inception as a newer program.

Overall, since you are in the Indian (and presumably male) demographic, it will be important to optimize your GMAT score to the extent possible, as you're up against a competitive field. However, I would say the importance of you having a top GMAT score is somewhat lessened since your background and work experience is pretty differentiated relative to the large spectrum of IT applicants we often see from your demographic. Additionally, your undergraduate academic performance and the recent exposure (and performance) at a Big 4 firm gives the admission committees confidence that you have the intellectual horsepower and capacity to do well at a top program. Based on your background in client service and consulting, and from how you presented yourself, you seem to have an affable persona that will be great to leverage in interviews.

That being said, there are a few items to keep in mind and incorporate into your application strategy. First, since your undergraduate major was in a business-related field (and specifically, finance), talk a bit in your essays about how (to me, anyways) it appears you're looking more for a well-rounded MBA experience to get exposure to a number of functions. Second, although it's great that you've received praise from your performance at the Big 4 firm, try as much as possible to get a promotion on your resume before you apply. Pay raises are great, but are perceived less than a promotion would be.

In terms of your prior work experience in financial advisory, I'd recommend you convert your financial performance into the currency where the school is located (for you, either US dollars or Euros). Typically the adcoms will be able to convert major currencies but you'd rather not force them to look something up - same goes for any acronyms. I really like the story you mentioned about helping other people who were entering the financial advisory space. In your essays you could mention this and also speak to the fact that you could contribute to the MBA community by assisting your peer students who are looking to enter the private wealth management industry post-MBA.

As far as your career goals, I can certainly see the connection to the insurance industry for a consulting career, although I'm a bit confused at first glance with the connection that your background would give you for hospitality. Perhaps because you love client service and can see yourself applying in a different way? In any event, you'll need to provide some kind of tie-in with your past so that the adcom feels it would be a reasonable and natural (yet also exciting) future for you.

The prestige and difficulty of your undergraduate institution is also something to consider. I didn't see the detail listed in your profile - if it's not a well-known school, it makes it a bit more important to try to optimize your GMAT score.

Lastly, it appears you have a number of impressive accomplishments and a variety of interests. One "good" problem to have, that I think applies to you, is to organize your accomplishments when you speak to people and on your resume in a way that clearly articulates and prioritizes what are the top things you want to convey. I have absolutely nothing against an interest in fishing, but to list a fishing award (from 1996) adjacent to that received from a vice president may confuse the reader. I'm not sure I would list Dale Carnegie training for a week as an accomplishment, per se, especially for someone with the amount of work experience you have. Finally, it's always best to provide context associated with the accomplishment, so it's clear to the reader (e.g. first place out of how many participants).

Best of luck,

Get a free online chances indication now (no registration required)
Put Me in Business
Admission tips and scholarship info per school
Twitter Updates from Aringo
Image[/color]

Last edited by AringoConsultant on 06 Apr 2012, 20:00, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 28 Feb 2012, 00:05
Hi everyone.
I gave my gmat in august. 1st attempt. Scored 750. q42 v49 awa 5.5
i have very good acads.
HSC- 95%
SSC- 88%
Engineering B.E. Computer science GPA 9.67/10
Current work ex- from july 2010 till date- 1 year, 8 months
Co-curriculars: organizer of events at fests in college for two years, member of cultural committee at office, was head of the hostel for a year in college.
Would be joining an NGO in March.

I wish to apply for ISB this year. Can someone please evaluate my chances and let me know where i stand..
Expert Post

Show Tags

New post 04 Mar 2012, 20:53
Expert's post
Quote:
Hi everyone.
I gave my gmat in august. 1st attempt. Scored 750. q42 v49 awa 5.5
i have very good acads.
HSC- 95%
SSC- 88%
Engineering B.E. Computer science GPA 9.67/10
Current work ex- from july 2010 till date- 1 year, 8 months
Co-curriculars: organizer of events at fests in college for two years, member of cultural committee at office, was head of the hostel for a year in college.
Would be joining an NGO in March.

I wish to apply for ISB this year. Can someone please evaluate my chances and let me know where i stand..

amritgodofwar,

Thank you for your profile submission.

To all posters and viewers, please note that the more information you provide in a profile, the more specific I can be with respect to advising you as a candidate about your application strategy. If you are looking for a quick insight or general comments only, then you don't have to submit a full profile. But, I can give much more specific information and a much better estimate of your application chances with the following information:

Age, gender, undergraduate university (and/or reputation) and GPA (or percentile rank if outside the US), graduate degree (if applicable) and GPA, extracurricular activities in school and during full-time work, GMAT (including splits), length of work experience and extent of leadership roles, industry, reputation/size/prestige of your company, why MBA, post-MBA aspirations short and long-term, target schools or target school rank, interesting or impressive accomplishments/achievements, etc.

In this specific instance, without your undergraduate university, a description of where you have been working, and your future goals, it is harder for me to provide an accurate profile evaluation. Additionally, while Aringo has some knowledge of ISB, we are not able to provide a chances evaluation for the program because of the school's fast-changing profile within the last few years.

Best,
Brian

Put Me in Business
Image[/color]

Last edited by AringoConsultant on 06 Apr 2012, 20:00, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 12 Mar 2012, 10:41
Dear Brian,

I have the following dilemma, wanted to ask if you know anything about it:

What happens if I apply to b-school in early decision round (for example, Columbia or Duke) and after I'm admitted I decide not to enroll? besides losing the money deposit, are there any other negative implications? any chance that the betrayed school will contact other schools I applied to and "trash" me? any possible negative implications on job recruiting later?
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 12 Mar 2012, 10:58
Hi,

I am planning to apply for 2013 entry and would like to get an honest evaluation before i engage in the whole application process. Let me give you a brief on my resume so that you can have a better understanding of the same:

a) Work Experience: Currently working for an Indian investment bank as a PE/M&A analyst. I am planning to apply for 2013 batch and hoping to work till early 2013. I would have gained 3.5 - 4.0 years of work experience (front end investment banking + micro Finance manager ) which I think should prepare me to apply to a business school. I have worked on various deals, some of them have been the biggest in their sectors in India and also been part of the bank's business development exercise. Was solely responsible for originating a see side mandate for an Indian sugar company ($20 mn)

b) International Exposure: Apart from my one year stint in the UK during my masters (A top British Uni), I don’t really have any international exposure. Having said that, I do work with a lot of mid-market and boutique investments banks in US and UK which might count as “international exposure”.

c) GMAT: I have a GMAT score of 710

d) Social Involvement: I have worked with C.O.R.P for one year teaching English in a municipal school in Mumbai and a six month internship with a microfinance firm as a principal manager for new initiatives and business develoment covering rural areas and villages in the state of Rajasthan, India. Helped setup special help groups and also led firms communications with international peers and VC funds

e) Investment banking background: Mid-market investment banks in India give a better profile and exposure to its analysts as compared to their peers in the US and Europe. I have worked on live deals and also been a part of the business development exercise of the bank which is rare in global banks or US banks where analysts have a limited role.

f) Education: BA (Economics) Top of the class and university topper at Mumbai University, one of the oldest and prestigious arts and science college in India. Masters in Finance and Economics from a top British b-school.

g)Internships: 2 internships with large global financial services firm with private banking and asset management divisions in India

h) Schools short listed: - Wharton Business School

- Yale SOM

- MIT Sloan

- Chicago Booth

- Kellogg

- Tepper School

- Columbia

- Duke

- Darden Virginia

I am still confused about schools in the UK/Europe and how much work experience they require since the average age in those schools is way higher than their American peers. I AM VERY KEEN ON APPLYING TO SAID, LBS AND INSEAD. DO I STAND A CHANCE AT THESE THREE??

Please do let me know if my choice of schools is apt for my resume. Your thoughts will be deeply appreciated. Thank you again for all your help and support.

Hoping to hear soon from you.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 12 Mar 2012, 11:00
I am planning to apply for 2013 entry and would like to get an honest evaluation. Thank you for taking the time out to review my profile. Let me give you a brief on my resume so that you can have a better understanding of the same:

a) Work Experience: Currently working for an Indian investment bank as a PE/M&A analyst. I am planning to apply for 2013 batch and hoping to work till early 2013. I would have gained 3.5 - 4.0 years of work experience (front end investment banking + micro Finance manager ) which I think should prepare me to apply to a business school. I have worked on various deals, some of them have been the biggest in their sectors in India and also been part of the bank's business development exercise. Was solely responsible for originating a see side mandate for an Indian sugar company ($20 mn)

b) International Exposure: Apart from my one year stint in the UK during my masters (A top British Uni), I don’t really have any international exposure. Having said that, I do work with a lot of mid-market and boutique investments banks in US and UK which might count as “international exposure”.

d) Social Involvement: I have worked with C.O.R.P for one year teaching English in a municipal school in Mumbai and a six month internship with a microfinance firm as a principal manager for new initiatives and business develoment covering rural areas and villages in the state of Rajasthan, India. Helped setup special help groups and also led firms communications with international peers and VC funds

e) Investment banking background: Mid-market investment banks in India give a better profile and exposure to its analysts as compared to their peers in the US and Europe. I have worked on live deals and also been a part of the business development exercise of the bank which is rare in global banks or US banks where analysts have a limited role.

f) Education: BA (Economics) Top of the class and university topper at Mumbai University, one of the oldest and prestigious arts and science college in India. Masters in Finance and Economics from a top British b-school.

g)Internships: 2 internships with large global financial services firm with private banking and asset management divisions in India

- Yale SOM

- MIT Sloan

- Chicago Booth

- Kellogg

- Tepper School

- Columbia

- Duke

- Darden Virginia

I am still confused about schools in the UK/Europe and how much work experience they require since the average age in those schools is way higher than their American peers. I AM VERY KEEN ON APPLYING TO SAID, LBS AND INSEAD. DO I STAND A CHANCE AT THESE THREE??

Please do let me know if my choice of schools is apt for my resume. Your thoughts will be deeply appreciated. Thank you again for all your help and support.

Expert Post

Show Tags

New post 18 Mar 2012, 17:13
Expert's post
Quote:
Dear Brian,

I have the following dilemma, wanted to ask if you know anything about it:

What happens if I apply to b-school in early decision round (for example, Columbia or Duke) and after I'm admitted I decide not to enroll? besides losing the money deposit, are there any other negative implications? any chance that the betrayed school will contact other schools I applied to and "trash" me? any possible negative implications on job recruiting later?

wayne26,

Thank you for your question. As you note, in the situation where you back out of a spot, you lose the deposit. However, for early decision rounds the deposit is typically a fair bit higher than that of the non-early decision rounds - often by several thousand dollars or more.

Beyond that, in our experience there is some (small) risk for, but by no means a guarantee of, any further implications. While we have observed and heard about situations where the ad coms at different schools do talk to each other about unique situations involving applicants, they typically are not "out to get you." Rather, since each program has a fairly small staff, they focus their effots on the students who are planning to attend. At the same time, please keep in mind that the admissions and/or human resources field at a broader level are relatively close-knit communities. I have seen recruiters at top firms move into admissions roles at top MBA programs, and vice versa. So, while backing out would not typically hurt you in recruiting in general, in isolated instances your situation may have further implications.

On a somewhat related note, most top programs are now doing background checks on all admitted students (at a minimum). So, please make sure that your resume is factual and that any representation of yourself on various social media outlets paints you in a professional light.

Best of luck,

Put Me in Business
Image[/color]

Last edited by AringoConsultant on 06 Apr 2012, 19:53, edited 1 time in total.
Expert Post

Show Tags

New post 18 Mar 2012, 17:45
Expert's post
Quote:
I am planning to apply for 2013 entry and would like to get an honest evaluation. Thank you for taking the time out to review my profile. Let me give you a brief on my resume so that you can have a better understanding of the same:

- Yale SOM

- MIT Sloan

- Chicago Booth

- Kellogg

- Tepper School

- Columbia

- Duke

- Darden Virginia

sarveshmehta,

Thank you for your profile submission. On the basis of the information as presented and under the assumption of strong essays and recommendations and a GMAT score of 710, our experience indicates you would be between competitive and stretch at Harvard, between competitive and stretch (closer to competitive) at Wharton, competitive at Booth, Kellogg, and Columbia, between competitive and strong (closer to competitive) at Sloan and INSEAD, and strong at Yale, Duke, Darden, Oxford, LBS, and Tepper.

Your strong finance background and experience in investment banking gives you a strongly differentiated profile relative to many of your Indian peers. However, one item that will be quite important in your profile is your master's degree in finance and economics. Because these are topics that are covered in an MBA program, and because you note that the degree was received from a top university with an MBA program, you will need to clearly articulate why you believe you need the MBA on top of your academic background to date. A large part of this will be describing your future career goals both in the short and long term.

In terms of your question about the required minimum work experience of European business schools, we typically do not see (US-based or European-based) schools note absolute minimum work experience requirements. I would say that with your 4 years of work experience at application that you would be fine for European programs. They do tend to index higher in age than programs in the United States, but I do not believe you would be penalized in any way with the work experience you do have.

Please keep in mind that business schools do not count internships as full-time work experience. I would encourage most MBA candidates to remove any internships from their resumes, or at most, to mention it only as a single line item in the event that there is an impressive connection you want to reference.

Overall, you have a very strong profile and have written a well-organized and coherent summary of your experiences. I think the next step is to narrow down the list of programs that may make the most sense for you and your future goals.

Best of luck,

Put Me in Business
Image[/color]

Last edited by AringoConsultant on 06 Apr 2012, 19:54, edited 2 times in total.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 27 Mar 2012, 02:21
Thank you, I will keep this in mind!
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 03 Apr 2012, 20:24
Hi,

Thanks in advance!

Education:
BA in Economics (Canada)
Minor - Business
Passed CFA Level 1 exam

GPA: 3.7
GMAT: 700 Q49, V34 (This is my second time writing the exam -I wrote the exam two years ago and got 650. However, I am planning to rewrite the exam in July this year to get a higher score)

Work Experience:
Securities operations analyst at a major Bank in Canada (2010 - Present);

Extracurricular Activities:
Leadership role in a student organization at university
Organized several big charity events
Tutored at university

Schools:
- NYU (Stern)
- UCLA (Anderson)
- Cornell (Johnson)
- Toronto (Rotman)
- Oxford (Said)
- Columbia
- Duke (Fuqua)

After my MBA:
I want to go into Business Consulting in Canada for a few years and eventually go back to Asia to start my own business.

I am planning to apply for Fall 2013. Please let me your opinions on my chances getting into my target schools.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V40
GPA: 2.5
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 2

Show Tags

New post 03 Apr 2012, 21:48
Hi,

Thank you in advance for taking out the time to evaluate my profile. I am sharing below my background so you can
i) evaluate my profile,
ii) suggest target schools and backup schools (I have a few in mind)
iii) identify strong areas and improvement areas (and subsequently how to address them)

I saw the below format adopted by one of the fellow members on this forum and that it helped understand the profile better. Hence sticking to the same format.

a) Work Experience: I have 90 months of work experience in the IT and Consulting area. I currently work for one of the Big 3 IT and Consultancy companies and am based out of US. I am a Project/Program manager and lead the Portfolio management office (PMO) for a $40 MN account. My consulting experience revolves around Project/Program management and also setting up Operations/PMO offices from scratch. In the past, I have successfully delivered complex programs running into millions of $$ and have also managed the Program Office of the CSO of one of the most reputed IT consultancies.

b) International Exposure: I have been based in the US for the past 2 years handling multicultural clients. I have also traveled for projects in the UK and have spent 1 year meeting and handling (by way of conf calls) clients in UK. I have spent 3-4 months in France while I was an exchange student and have traveled across Europe during my leisure time.

c) GMAT: I had taken the GMAT once in 2004 and scored around 660-680 range. Since it was more than 5 years ago, I dont think it counts. I am taking the GMAT again in a month from now.

d) Education:
I have
-a Post Graduate Diploma in Business Management and
-a Bachelors in Electronics Engineering.
In my PGDBM I scored around a 6.ish GPA and in my Engineering, I secured a 1st class (60%-70%) in Mumbai university, which is considered extremely strict in scoring.(I dont know how to compare/present this in the light of other universities that may not be as stringent in thier scoring)
I am also a
-certified Project Management Professional (PMP),
-LOMA FLMI (L1) certified and
-a Certified Six Sigma Black Belt (though a non practising one).

e) Activities outside Profession:
-I have been the Governance lead and an active organizing volunteer for the CSR wing of my organization from 2008-2010 during which I have organized many field trips to over 5 different projects that our NGO works with. I had laid out the governance model of the CSR and streamlined reporting, financials etc in those 2 years.
(I hope the fact that the CSR was my organization's social work, will not make it count under my professional activities. There was no compulsion to join and it was purely a voluntary choice).
-I was the Finance-in-charge and Sponsorship lead for the College committee for 2 years in a row.
-I led the Jamming (music) group at my organization in the years 2009-2010 where I brought together as many as 20 people every week and we played/created music.
-I have won umpteen number of singing competitions (solo and duet) and a number of Instrumental competitions.
I am trained in Indian classical music and can play 5 different musical instruments (only 1 of which I have recd formal training on, rest are self-learnt). 2 of those instruments, I have played and can still play at professional levels.
-I have led my college's musical club for 2 years. I was also a part of a band that was formed when I was in college where we created fusion music.
-I have represented my college as its contingent leader at many inter collegiate events.

f) Programs considered: I am very keen on a 1 year course like that of INSEAD, Kellogg 1Y. I am looking to start the program asap (Eg. starting Jan 2013)

I am 30/M/married and with a kid, dont know if that matters at all. Kindly do share a frank evaluation of my profile focusing on which areas need to be strengthened. Again, thank you very much for your help, support and time. Hope to hear from you soon.
Intern
Intern
Schools: Kellog,UCLA,Ross,Emory,Broad
WE 1: Software Banking Product Development

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 04 Apr 2012, 10:09
Dear Brian,

Thanks for the good work you are doing over here.

Request you to kindly analyze my profile and give me a few pointers on
1) Choice of schools for Fall 2013
2) Have I outgrown 2 yr MBA?
3) Given my age and experience on the higher side will it be a hard sell to tell the adcoms that I wish to change my job function.
4) What can I do now to improve my profile?

 GMAT score : 700 ( Q=48; V=38) , Nov-2009 (had given it 2 times previously - 630 and 650)
 Analytical Writing : 5.0
 Citizenship: Indian
 Currently working and residing in : Singapore (past 3.5 yrs)
 Age: 30
 Degree: B.E (Computer Engg.)
 Year of graduation: 2003
 Years of experience: 8.5 years
 Current Employment Oracle Financial Services Software - Since Feb-2005. Mumbai and SG.
 Current Designation : Software development Manager
 Experience: Banking Domain - Origination, Interfaces, Payments. Working on various technologies in used in Flexcube-Retail. Now working on Next generation product. All new domain , new tech.
 Extra Curricular activities:
• Participated various events at school and college level,
• Was the member of Organizing Committee for cultural activities for my company in Singapore and organized many events like bowling day, family day.

Have been doing Technical Management role since last 3.5 yrs and if I am here, will keep doing the same for a few more years. Only thing that might keep increasing is the quantum of responsibility - more functionalities, more deliverables. I feel the need to learn more, understand more for example
1) how do businesses work
2) how to setup your own company
3) how do you sell an IT product.

I keep thinking about these questions and I am sure might get some guidance from books but somewhere I feel MBA is necessary.

My ultimate goal is to move up gradually through the management path, and the MBA will help prepare me for future opportunities as they come along Preferably in the consulting for the banking domain. Understand the business side of IT. In short, my goal is to obtain an MBA degree, and then work in the technology consulting industry, either with a consulting firm or with a financial institution where my domain and technical knowledge will help.

Can I do this right now by just switching jobs? Probably not.

I am a re-applicant.

Schools I had thought were a good fit for me 3 years back when I applied in 2009 but ended up applying to only 2.

Long shot : 1) Cornell 2) Emory 3) CMU Tepper 4) UNC Kenan-Flagler
Good Chance 1) Kelley 2) Austin
Safe Bets : 1) NUS - applied and dinged 2) HKUST 3) Broad - MSU 4) NTU - applied and dinged

As you can see, my safe bets rejected me. But I think my profile has changed a lot since then and I am ripe now to do an MBA.

I am sorry this is a long query. Let me know your analysis and guidance for Aug 2013.

Warden Samuel Norton: I believe in two things: discipline and the Bible. Here you'll receive both. Put your trust in the Lord; your ass belongs to me. Welcome to Shawshank.

Rocky to his son :
Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get it and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done! Now if you know what you're worth then go out and get what you're worth. But ya gotta be willing to take the hits, and not pointing fingers saying you ain't where you wanna be because of him, or her, or anybody! Cowards do that and that ain't you! You're better than that!

Current Student
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
Schools: IESE '16 (A)
GMAT 1: 680 Q41 V41
WE: Marketing (Consumer Products)

Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 06 Apr 2012, 11:38
Hi Gil,
I would love your advice on my profile...

I am female, 28, American.

Education Background:
BA in Political Science from Boston University (Unsure of GPA)
Masters of Science in Wine Marketing and Management from Université de Paris Ouest Nanterre (Average 16.4/20, Mention Très Bien)
- for this degree, traveled to 23 different wine consuming or producing countries in Asia, South America, North America and Europe

GMAT Score: 680 (Q41, V41). Quantitative is 57 percentile, Verbal 92. I was scoring 700 - 730 in practice tests, with my highest test from the GMATPrep Software a 730 (Q44, V44). I didn't finish 2 Quant questions, and I feel that nerves definitely got to me.
Writing: 6.0

Work Experience:
- Currently managing the marketing for a winery in the Languedoc-Roussillon in France, reporting directly to owner and managing all aspects of marketing; most likely being promoted to Brand Manager for the company in about a month (in negotiations). Came to this position to get experience in wine production as I now live on the wineryand help in the cellar and vineyards when possible.

Previous positions:
- Account Executive at the top marketing/PR agency for wine and spirits (2.5 years). Managed accounts for major wine regions in France, as well as assisted with major spirits brand campaigns. Experience in PR, marketing, advertising, social media, events
- Sales Representative for French wine distributor (6 month externship to complete my masters)
- English Teacher in primary schools in France (1 year)

Although my ultimate goal is to work in marketing, my work experience has been tailored to get experience in all sectors of the wine industry - I worked in high end restaurants in college, did sales for an importer/distributor, and now am learning production - because I believe that understanding all aspects of the wine business helps me to create more successful integrated marketing campaigns.

Extracurriculars:
- Hold Advanced Certificate from Wine and Spirits Education Trust

Goals:
I would like work in Brand Management for one of the top global Wine & Spirits companies, ideally eventually becoming a Marketing executive working on international branding strategy.

Schools: I'm looking to apply in 2012.
Before the GMATs, my top choice was INSEAD. I would also consider other programs in France but want them to be highly regarded in the US as well.
I've also considered Columbia and Stern but am not sure what else I should be looking at?

I also feel that I have to strongly consider retaking the GMATs. The issue is that I took them during a trip back to the US, I don't want to take them in France with a different keyboard, and I would have to travel 2-3 hours to the closest testing facility. It will be difficult before the format changes, especially as I have 3-4 weeks of travel for work in that time.

Thanks so much for any help!
Jess
Expert Post

Show Tags

New post 08 Apr 2012, 19:02
Expert's post
Quote:
Hi,

Thanks in advance!

Education:
BA in Economics (Canada)
Minor - Business
Passed CFA Level 1 exam

GPA: 3.7
GMAT: 700 Q49, V34 (This is my second time writing the exam -I wrote the exam two years ago and got 650. However, I am planning to rewrite the exam in July this year to get a higher score)

Work Experience:
Securities operations analyst at a major Bank in Canada (2010 - Present);

Extracurricular Activities:
Leadership role in a student organization at university
Organized several big charity events
Tutored at university

Schools:
- NYU (Stern)
- UCLA (Anderson)
- Cornell (Johnson)
- Toronto (Rotman)
- Oxford (Said)
- Columbia
- Duke (Fuqua)

After my MBA:
I want to go into Business Consulting in Canada for a few years and eventually go back to Asia to start my own business.

I am planning to apply for Fall 2013. Please let me your opinions on my chances getting into my target schools.

cashmerecashmere,

Thank you for your profile submission. On the basis of the information as presented and under the assumption of strong essays and recommendations and a GMAT score of 700, our experience indicates you would be between stretch and competitive (closer to stretch) at Columbia, competitive at Stern, between competitive and strong (closer to competitive) at Fuqua, and strong at Johnson, Rotman, Anderson, and Said.

You have a number of positives in your profile, including a competitive GPA/GMAT combination. I am assuming that you attended a fairly reputable undergraduate institution in Canada (you didn't specify this detail). The aspect that is a bit less clear to me, and which you'll want to make sure you address in your application, are the specific reasons you want an MBA and specifically what your career goals are. Saying you want to go into consulting and then go to Asia are somewhat less specific than you'll eventually need to explain - and for applicants like yourself with less work experience, ad coms want to see a lot of thought about this. It's fairly common for younger applicants to go less deep in this area and to show less reflection than is necessary.

It will also be important between now and the time of application in the fall if you can achieve a promotion in your organization. At minimum, since you have less work experience than most other applicants, it's going to be crucial for you to highlight the impact you've had on your organization. Focus on cross-functional or financial impacts, if possible.

Since you have less work experience, your extracurriculars become slightly more important to highlight your leadership potential and persona. As such, make sure your resume not only highlights the titles you've held in organizations, but also speaks to your specific accomplishments.

Best of luck,

Put Me in Business
Image[/color]

Expert Post

Show Tags

New post 08 Apr 2012, 19:45
Expert's post
Quote:
Hi,

Thank you in advance for taking out the time to evaluate my profile. I am sharing below my background so you can
i) evaluate my profile,
ii) suggest target schools and backup schools (I have a few in mind)
iii) identify strong areas and improvement areas (and subsequently how to address them)

I saw the below format adopted by one of the fellow members on this forum and that it helped understand the profile better. Hence sticking to the same format.

a) Work Experience: I have 90 months of work experience in the IT and Consulting area. I currently work for one of the Big 3 IT and Consultancy companies and am based out of US. I am a Project/Program manager and lead the Portfolio management office (PMO) for a $40 MN account. My consulting experience revolves around Project/Program management and also setting up Operations/PMO offices from scratch. In the past, I have successfully delivered complex programs running into millions of $$ and have also managed the Program Office of the CSO of one of the most reputed IT consultancies.

b) International Exposure: I have been based in the US for the past 2 years handling multicultural clients. I have also traveled for projects in the UK and have spent 1 year meeting and handling (by way of conf calls) clients in UK. I have spent 3-4 months in France while I was an exchange student and have traveled across Europe during my leisure time.

c) GMAT: I had taken the GMAT once in 2004 and scored around 660-680 range. Since it was more than 5 years ago, I dont think it counts. I am taking the GMAT again in a month from now.

d) Education:
I have
-a Post Graduate Diploma in Business Management and
-a Bachelors in Electronics Engineering.
In my PGDBM I scored around a 6.ish GPA and in my Engineering, I secured a 1st class (60%-70%) in Mumbai university, which is considered extremely strict in scoring.(I dont know how to compare/present this in the light of other universities that may not be as stringent in thier scoring)
I am also a
-certified Project Management Professional (PMP),
-LOMA FLMI (L1) certified and
-a Certified Six Sigma Black Belt (though a non practising one).

e) Activities outside Profession:
-I have been the Governance lead and an active organizing volunteer for the CSR wing of my organization from 2008-2010 during which I have organized many field trips to over 5 different projects that our NGO works with. I had laid out the governance model of the CSR and streamlined reporting, financials etc in those 2 years.
(I hope the fact that the CSR was my organization's social work, will not make it count under my professional activities. There was no compulsion to join and it was purely a voluntary choice).
-I was the Finance-in-charge and Sponsorship lead for the College committee for 2 years in a row.
-I led the Jamming (music) group at my organization in the years 2009-2010 where I brought together as many as 20 people every week and we played/created music.
-I have won umpteen number of singing competitions (solo and duet) and a number of Instrumental competitions.
I am trained in Indian classical music and can play 5 different musical instruments (only 1 of which I have recd formal training on, rest are self-learnt). 2 of those instruments, I have played and can still play at professional levels.
-I have led my college's musical club for 2 years. I was also a part of a band that was formed when I was in college where we created fusion music.
-I have represented my college as its contingent leader at many inter collegiate events.

f) Programs considered: I am very keen on a 1 year course like that of INSEAD, Kellogg 1Y. I am looking to start the program asap (Eg. starting Jan 2013)

I am 30/M/married and with a kid, dont know if that matters at all. Kindly do share a frank evaluation of my profile focusing on which areas need to be strengthened. Again, thank you very much for your help, support and time. Hope to hear from you soon.

sjaianand,

Thank you for your profile submission. On the basis of the information as presented and under the assumption of strong essays and recommendations and a GMAT score of 680, our experience indicates you would be a competitive candidate at Tepper and Rotman, and between competitive and stretch (closer to competitive) at Darden, Johnson, and Anderson. We believe you would be a stretch candidate at both INSEAD and Kellogg. Please keep in mind that Kellogg's 1Y program starts each year in June (not January).

The template that you used to submit your information is fine, although it's also important (at least for how Aringo reviews candidates) to speak to: the number of people you manage, the number of promotions you've achieved, and a summary of why you want an MBA and what your career goals are. In particular, these are important for an Indian applicant like yourself, because this is such a competitive demographic. Male, Indian, engineering applicants need to look for differentiating aspects from a professional and personal standpoint as much as possible. Additionally, we typically reduce chances a bit for candidates who have career goals that are (vastly) different from a candidate's background and which are difficult to believe the candidate could achieve. The converse of course is true - it helps one's chances to have interesting career goals that are achievable and show a link to one's past.

The fact that you've worked in the US and appear to have been given increasing levels of responsibility in your organization are definitely positive. To be married and have a child is not a positive or a negative, in our experience. I would encourage you to reach out to the family clubs at each of the programs to which you apply, as they usually do a great job explaining the types of things they do and what daily life might be life for your child and spouse.

Your postgraduate degree in business is not a negative (no master's degree is), but you will have a higher burden of proof to meet in your 'why MBA' story relative to other applicants. Any master's degree that sounds remotely close to an MBA implies to the ad com that the MBA might be "repeat" for you. In some ways it does make sense for you to apply to 1 year programs because of the presence of this degree, and the fact that you might not need to take all of the traditional first-year courses in the standard topics.

A couple of items, which are applicable to many people:
- Regarding your academic background, one item that I consistently see people miss is the need to give a percentile rank in their undergraduate program. This is a (very) easy way to provide a normalized result and should be information that your university can provide to you. Top MBA programs know how to compare GPAs across schools from various countries, but make it easier for them - and perhaps for the student readers at some schools who are a little less versed in this detail.
- Many Indian applicants talk about the extracurricular activities they did involving organizing festivals. This is legitimate, and I have no problem with it - when I was at Kellogg one of the more amazing things was to learn about these events from my Indian friends. Just keep in mind many, many Indian applicants talk about it, so it is difficult to differentiate yourself on this aspect.
- Regarding extracurricular activities, what we recommend is to highlight the top 2-3 accomplishments and leadership positions and go 'deep' here on your resume to make it clear that you're prioritizing these for the reader. You want to make sure your audience is able to take away the key details. It's important to show breadth, of course, but just make this prioritization transparent.

Best of luck,

Put Me in Business
Image[/color]

Expert Post

Show Tags

New post 08 Apr 2012, 20:21
Expert's post
Quote:
Dear Brian,

Thanks for the good work you are doing over here.

Request you to kindly analyze my profile and give me a few pointers on
1) Choice of schools for Fall 2013
2) Have I outgrown 2 yr MBA?
3) Given my age and experience on the higher side will it be a hard sell to tell the adcoms that I wish to change my job function.
4) What can I do now to improve my profile?

 GMAT score : 700 ( Q=48; V=38) , Nov-2009 (had given it 2 times previously - 630 and 650)
 Analytical Writing : 5.0
 Citizenship: Indian
 Currently working and residing in : Singapore (past 3.5 yrs)
 Age: 30
 Degree: B.E (Computer Engg.)
 Year of graduation: 2003
 Years of experience: 8.5 years
 Current Employment Oracle Financial Services Software - Since Feb-2005. Mumbai and SG.
 Current Designation : Software development Manager
 Experience: Banking Domain - Origination, Interfaces, Payments. Working on various technologies in used in Flexcube-Retail. Now working on Next generation product. All new domain , new tech.
 Extra Curricular activities:
• Participated various events at school and college level,
• Was the member of Organizing Committee for cultural activities for my company in Singapore and organized many events like bowling day, family day.

Have been doing Technical Management role since last 3.5 yrs and if I am here, will keep doing the same for a few more years. Only thing that might keep increasing is the quantum of responsibility - more functionalities, more deliverables. I feel the need to learn more, understand more for example
1) how do businesses work
2) how to setup your own company
3) how do you sell an IT product.

I keep thinking about these questions and I am sure might get some guidance from books but somewhere I feel MBA is necessary.

My ultimate goal is to move up gradually through the management path, and the MBA will help prepare me for future opportunities as they come along Preferably in the consulting for the banking domain. Understand the business side of IT. In short, my goal is to obtain an MBA degree, and then work in the technology consulting industry, either with a consulting firm or with a financial institution where my domain and technical knowledge will help.

Can I do this right now by just switching jobs? Probably not.

I am a re-applicant.

Schools I had thought were a good fit for me 3 years back when I applied in 2009 but ended up applying to only 2.

Long shot : 1) Cornell 2) Emory 3) CMU Tepper 4) UNC Kenan-Flagler
Good Chance 1) Kelley 2) Austin
Safe Bets : 1) NUS - applied and dinged 2) HKUST 3) Broad - MSU 4) NTU - applied and dinged

As you can see, my safe bets rejected me. But I think my profile has changed a lot since then and I am ripe now to do an MBA.

I am sorry this is a long query. Let me know your analysis and guidance for Aug 2013.

neeravks,

Thank you for your profile submission. On the basis of the information as presented and under the assumption of strong essays and recommendations and a GMAT score of 700, our experience indicates that you would be competitive at Texas, Emory, and Kenan-Flagler, between competitive and stretch (closer to competitive) at Tepper, and between competitive and stretch (closer to stretch) at Cornell. Please note that I assumed you graduated with a good GPA from a solidly reputable undergraduate institution, as this detail was not included in your profile.

In terms of your questions, I'm not sure that you have fully outgrown the full-time MBA yet, but you are reaching the point where it's close. You would be 31 at the time of matriculation, which would make you one of the oldest ~5% or so of students in any top full-time MBA program. It is not impossible to get in (we have had clients get in who are older than this), but it does impact your chances negatively in our experience at the age of 29 and up when you apply.

In my view, your higher level of work experience would not cause the admission committees to question your ability to change functions (vs. someone, say, with less work experience). Rather, it is all in how you write your essays and describe your career goals in the interview. If you can convince the adcoms that you have legitimate transferrable skills and capabilities that you can leverage to change careers in some way, you have achieved the goal. Your questions "How do businesses work, how to sell IT products" are not invalid, but I would recommend that you work with someone with experience on the business side to hone these further. I think you would want to speak to more specific, tangible things and specific business problems you've observed - what you've listed instead are somewhat vague, (very) high-level topics. A specific example might be, 'I am specifically interested in entrepreneurial finance and the nature of how to compute valuations of start-ups when they have few revenues (and profits) to speak of yet.'

Your career goals are aligned to your background and seem tangible to achieve, which is good. At the same time, think about a long-term goal (that would interest you) that will serve to sound interesting and aspirational, to complement your stated short-term goals. The risk of showing a short-term career goal that is fairly closely aligned to your current work background is that the adcoms may believe you don't need an MBA (despite the fact you believe you do).

Best of luck,

Put Me in Business
Image[/color]

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 700 Q42 V44

Show Tags

New post 09 Apr 2012, 13:48
Hello Aringo!

I have a short question for you

Few days ago (after a serious amount of stress) I finally took the GMAT and with enough surprise I achieved a fairly good score:

700 (Q42 59th V44 97th)

First of all I am very happy I took the GMAT previously to get into a Msc (nearly 5y ago) and got a 580 that was cause of a bit of depression (thats why I did not retake it). On my first attempt verbal went really bad (29) and thats why, when I decided to retake it, I mostly focused in improving my verbal score.

I am quite happy now and planning to apply to a top tier school (HBS / STAN and even Columbia) however I am quite worried about my low quant (42 is like 59th percentile).
I have an Italian Bsc in Law and Economics with 3.9+ gpa and solid scores (A or A+) in math, microecon, macroecon, finance and accounting. I have a Msc in Stretegic Management between France and Germany (with some time spent in England and Argentina). I am a former semiprofessional rugby player and I speak professionally 3 languages + 2 on a casual conversation level.
I am currently working in a top tier consulting firm that yearly send at least 6 candidates each to HBS and Columbia (Not familiar with figures from other uni). I am planning to get recommendation from a client (CEO), Senior Partner and possibly my Math professor during my Bsc (Italian luminar that teaches in Ivy league UNIs as well)

At first I thought that my profile was solid enough to achieve my target schools however reading this forums I started to sadly realize that my supposed "excellent 700 GMAT" score is not that good as it is "Unbalanced" :shock: .

I see two option sin front of me:

1) Retake it - which I really dont want, as I have a clean 700 with my old 580 expired, preparing it was really stressing, the test is changing soon and I am honestly proud of my 97th percentile verbal as a non native english speaker

2) Back up my application with quantitative stuff, Bsc subjects records, highlight quantitative intensive project I took part in and the recommendation from the Bsc math prof

What do you think?

PS I admit that the Q score could be improved by a couple of points ( i kinda panicked during the quant part, however would really a 65 or 70 percentile change that much?)
s
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 10 Apr 2012, 10:20
Hi Gil,

Thanks in advance for your advice. Here's my profile:
Female: 25
Nationality: Vietnamese
Majoring undergraduate: Accounting
GPA: 7.8 on a 10 scale
GMAT around 630 and I'm planning to take it in May. Hope the score will be improved
Experience:
- 1/2010- 7/2010: Grant Thornton Vietnam, Audit for project and manufacturing firms.
- 7/2010- present: Ernst & Young Vietnam, Audit for banking field and other financial institutions.

I'm planning to apply for fall 2013. Hope to receive advice from you. Thank you so much!
Re: Ask ARINGO - if your GMAT is (or might be) below 720   [#permalink] 10 Apr 2012, 10:20

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  8   9   10   11   12   13   14  ...  38    Next  [ 759 posts ]