Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 14:32 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 14:32

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
Schools: Northwestern (Kellogg) - Class of 0
GPA: 3.92
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Re: Ask ARINGO MBA Admissions Consulting [#permalink]
Nationality: Indian
GMAT: 740 (Q 49 V42)
GPA: 3.61 from top 50 engineering school USA (Tier 2/3) Graduated cum lade
Major: Electrical Engineering
Minor: Business Administration
Work Experience: 3 years at Matriculation
(India) 1 Year: Business Development officer for an online portal (gracerequest.com) for spa and salon reservations, and gym memberships. The business didn’t go well so we closed it after one year. I was working with the founder and 3 others.
(India) 2 years: Big 4 IT Risk, Associate Consultant
Internships:
• Comcast : Software QA 6 mths (USA)
• Central Electronics Limited (Govt of India) : Solar photovoltaic QA 6 mths
Community Service: Taught poor children in a village every weekend for 6 months
Leadership
• Elected officer for two professional organizations college chapter
• Represented the university at a leadership conference
Honors:
• Member electrical engineering honors society
• Ranked 3rd in Senior Design Competition
• Dean’s List
• Dean’s Merit Scholarship
Future Plans:
Use my mba education and international exposure to improve my business acumen and come back to India, an emerging economy, and start my own business.
Please evaluate my chances for the following colleges
1. Wharton
2. LBS
3. INSEAD
4. Kellogg
5) ISB
6) MIT
Also, please let me know if there is any apparent weakness.
Any thoughts are appreciated.
Thank you very much for your time.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
please evaluate my chances.

(India) 1 Year: Business Development officer for an online portal (gracerequest.com) for spa and salon reservations, and gym memberships. The business didn’t go well so we closed it after one year. I was working with the founder and 3 others.
Internships:
Leadership
Honors:
• Dean’s List
Future Plans:
Use my mba education and international exposure to improve my business acumen and come back to India, an emerging economy, and start my own business.
1. Wharton
2. LBS
3. INSEAD
4. Kellogg
5) ISB
6) MIT
Send PM
Expert Reply
Quote:
please evaluate my chances.

Internships:
Leadership
Honors:
• Dean’s List
Future Plans:
1. Wharton
2. LBS
3. INSEAD
4. Kellogg
5) ISB
6) MIT

Aju,

Thank you for your profile submission. On the basis of the information as presented and under the assumption of strong essays and recommendations and a GMAT score of 740, our experience indicates you would be a stretch candidate at Wharton and Kellogg, between stretch and competitive (closer to stretch) at INSEAD and Sloan, and competitive at LBS and ISB. Given the relatively competitive Indian / engineer / IT industry demographic, I would encourage you to also consider programs in the top 10-15 in the US - for example, we would project you to be between competitive and stretch (closer to competitive) at Tuck and Ross.

Clearly, you have some strong academic and GMAT credentials, which is great. I like the fact that you took a chance in your first job in a start-up, and it's ok (honestly) that the company did not succeed initially - this should serve as a tremendous foundation of insights and lessons that you should talk about for your future career goal of starting a company. What would you do differently with a new organization, looking back on your and your colleagues' experience? What areas could perhaps have been improved with the benefit of an MBA, for example? For applicants who want to go into entrepreneurship, the ad coms will be keen to hear about these types of details. I would also strongly encourage you to be (much) more specific about the business you would like to start. In what part of India? In what industry? Solving what kind of problem? Especially for younger candidates like yourself, the ad coms want to see a level of thought and planning for a future career, and not just a general goal that can often seem vague and imprecise depending on how it's framed.

The second area you will want to be certain to address is your performance rating at your current firm. In our experience successful candidates with 2 years of work experience at application (and 3 at matriculation) are often management/strategy consulting or investment banking professionals. As such it's going to be imperative to talk about how you're performing relative to your peers, and if you have a promotion to speak of, definitely mention it. To some extent, I would encourage you to defer applying by at least a year so that you can gain more experience and point to upwards progression in your organization.

Finally, one tell-tale sign of a younger applicant is reference to internships. Internships in general are not counted by the ad coms for full-time work experience, and they don't count for much based on our experience. Having said that, because the solar power industry is a growing and relatively "young" space, you can mention your internship experience in this sector in a bullet (no more than this) on your resume.

Best of luck,
Director
Director
Status:My Thread Master Bschool Threads-->Krannert(Purdue),WP Carey(Arizona),Foster(Uwashngton)
Own Kudos [?]: 277 [0]
Given Kudos: 57
Send PM
Hi i want to know my chances for few good us universities..

10th- 49% (2003)
12th- 60% (2005)
Grad- Bachelor in commerce though distance learning from Tier1 university 43% (2009)
Grad repeated- Bachelor in commerce though distance learning from different Tier3 university 73% (2012)
Diploma in Aviation and hospitality from Edexel university (2010)
Diploma in Theater (2007)
Apart from this a lot of small certificates.

Work Exp- Small family garments business(small botique) So dont think adcom will consider it.
Want to do MBA in finance.

Have not taken Gmat but in mocks getting around 650- 680, i can improve a lot more and target 720.

So as per my profile which colleges should i target, i know my profile is not good neither i am targeting top 20 US Bschools. Kindly guide me.
Own Kudos [?]: 1109 [0]
Given Kudos: 1751
GPA: 4
Send PM
Expert Reply
prateekbhatt wrote:

10th- 49% (2003)
12th- 60% (2005)
Grad- Bachelor in commerce though distance learning from Tier1 university 43% (2009)
Grad repeated- Bachelor in commerce though distance learning from different Tier3 university 73% (2012)

Work Exp- Small family garments business(small botique) So dont think adcom will consider it.

Have not taken Gmat but in mocks getting around 650- 680, i can improve a lot more and target 720.

So as per my profile which colleges should i target, i know my profile is not good neither i am targeting top 20 US Bschools. Kindly guide me.

Hi, you certainly have an unusual profile :-).
It wasn't clear to me from your last sentence if you ARE targeting top 20 schools, or are NOT.
I also didn't understand what 10th and 12th refer to - it's the first thing you lead with above.

I would suggest, besides working on your GMAT, that you do a lot of mining work into your history, to see where we can find good admissions drivers. Have you done any volunteer work? Community service? Have you ever initiated an activity, business, etc.? In your family business, where you work, do you have management experience? Have you any other professional experience, during or after college? Won any kind of awards? Etc..

Now - regarding which universities to target, you mean where you might have a chance of admission? If that's the case, please clarify whether you are looking at top 20 or below. If top 20, then you want to look at those 20 and see which ones are good for finance, and which ones value what you have to offer. IN other words, if you don't have a lot of professional experience but have a lot of community and volunteer work, then perhaps a school that values that. You also might look for a school that is super friendly to career changers - since you don't seem to have any background in finance, you would want a school that is open to such a complete switch.

I hope that helps a bit - feel free to write back if I can be of further assistance.

Regards,

Joy

Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V32
GPA: 3.8
WE:Engineering (Consumer Electronics)
Send PM
Hello,

Can you please consider my profile and suggest best fit for me? And also let me know whether I stand a chance applying to top 20?

Little bit about me.
GPA: 3.75-4.0 (Electronic Eng & Management - finished undergrad in UK with 1st Class Honours Degree - conversion of UK degree to GPA is unclear for me, however 3.75+ seems to do the trick according to various sources)
GMAT: taking in June, aiming for 680-720, which I guess is reasonable.

Work experience:

Originally I was enrolled in masters course at the Uni. However during the 4th year I was headhunted and offered with a opportunity to join a reasearch project for two years (EU funded) in Lithuania (where I am now) as researcher - switched my degree to B.Eng and graduated to take this position. As I would like to apply for entry in 2014 Sept, so by the time of Uni start there will be 2 years.

Earlier: summer internship in open source software company in new business department - preparing case studies for clients, cold calls, CRM system management and implementation.

Extras (I apologize for random order):
- First reward for the best business pitch of the entrepreneurial program (raising business creativity)
- awarded with Class medal at the Uni for achiev.
- created + managing of two websites for a local company in my hometown
- at Uni part of squash and tennis club (still trying to play both as often as possible)

Community:
- elderly care (back in hometown) - i won't go into much details here since its quite personal
- still connected with my old high school - collecting necessary means for schooling at orphanage

Recommendations:
- current supervisor from Lithuania
- dean of the department at the Uni/Advisor/one of the Dr I was working with - depending on the number of applications.

As a goal I'd like to focus on management consulting.

On my own I was looking closely at Kelloggs, Haas, Duke, Booth perhaps.

Also If you could point me into the direction of the ways I could improve my profile by the time of application, it would be great.

Thank you for your time.
Director
Director
Status:My Thread Master Bschool Threads-->Krannert(Purdue),WP Carey(Arizona),Foster(Uwashngton)
Own Kudos [?]: 277 [0]
Given Kudos: 57
Send PM
[quote="Aringo"][quote="prateekbhatt"]Hi i want to know my chances for few good us universities..

10th- 49% (2003)
12th- 60% (2005)

It wasn't clear to me from your last sentence if you ARE targeting top 20 schools, or are NOT.
I also didn't understand what 10th and 12th refer to - it's the first thing you lead with above.
Those were my high school grades and i am not targeting top 20 us schools.[color=#2e3192]

I would suggest, besides working on your GMAT, that you do a lot of mining work into your history, to see where we can find good admissions drivers. Have you done any volunteer work? Community service? Have you ever initiated an activity, business, etc.? In your family business, where you work, do you have management experience? Have you any other professional experience, during or after college? Won any kind of awards? Etc..

Now - regarding which universities to target, you mean where you might have a chance of admission? If that's the case, please clarify whether you are looking at top 20 or below. If top 20, then you want to look at those 20 and see which ones are good for finance, and which ones value what you have to offer. IN other words, if you don't have a lot of professional experience but have a lot of community and volunteer work, then perhaps a school that values that. You also might look for a school that is super friendly to career changers - since you don't seem to have any background in finance, you would want a school that is open to such a complete switch.
More on profile details below

I hope that helps a bit - feel free to write back if I can be of further assistance.

Regards,

Joy[/color]

Here is little more about me....

1) Brief description of your full-time work experience. What do you do?

After my schooling (2005)i joined my family garment business.We have a small showroom and we get our products from different states of india through our staff. The business was established in 1995, though its not a large scale but i wish to expand it.

My work profile-

Multiple work profile, it really difficult the content it in words but starting from

cleaning my work station to dealing with clients in terms of showing them our product to coordinating with our agents to get the product on time to working on accounts on daily basis and making a balance sheet quaterly.

But since its a small scale business i am afraid that adcom might not consider it.

2) Your GMAT.

Mocks- 720 ( have not taken it yet)

3) College info: The name of the college, your GPA or grade average, your major, year of graduation. For any graduate degrees, please provide the same info. If you grades are low, please indicate if there were extenuating circumstances.

Bachelor in commerce through distance learning from university of Delhi Tier1( 43%) completed in 2009.

For this degree it was really difficult the get a good score and the topper of the university got 62%.

Graduation repeated in Bachelor in commerce through distance learning from Tier 3 university 73% & completed in 2012.

Had to repeat it since i was not eligible to take any indian mba entrances, moreover i knew the my earlier scores were not a reflector of my potentials.

4) Significant college and post-college extra-curricular activities or community service, especially leadership experience.

Diploma in Aviation and hospitality from Edexel University 2010 (18 months duration).
Diploma in Theater 2007.
Certified First Aider.
Certificate in English from BBC UK.
Certified in Galileo and Fideleo( Programs very known in Aviation and hospitality).

5) Important certifications like CFA, CPA, FSA, or CA.

Though i do have a plan to go for CFA.

6) Your target programs.

MBA in Finance
MS in Finance
MS in Economics

7) When you plan to apply? Please specify round and application cycle, for example R1 2013-14 or R3 2012-13.

R1 for Fall 2014.

8) Your post-MBA goal.

Getting a good exposure in international market for around 5 years and then expanding my business and taking it to another level(Have a plan to have chain of big showrooms).

Thanks and appreciate your help.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 90
Send PM
Hello there !!

Please evaluate my chances.

GMAT: 700 (Q 49 V36)
GPA: 75% from a top 50 engineering school
Major: Mechanical Engineering

Work Experience: 7 years at Matriculation with a top Oil exploration and refining company (I worked only in downstream - refining)

4 Years: Mechanical Engineer - Maintenance. Lead a team of 6 technicians. Worked towards ensuring the reliability and availability of mech. equipment. Developed maintenance plans - Preventive and Predictive. Active involvement in Tendering and Contract Management.

2 Years: Senior Engineer - Maintenance and Projects. Leveraged the maintenance expertise to streamline and manage Revamp Project activities. Lead a team of over 40 technicians to complete shutdown activities well ahead of schedule. Job included planning, inter - department coordination and execution.

1 Year: Senior Engineer - Vigilance. Leveraged the technical and commercial expertise to bring systemic improvements across the organization. Focussed on areas that required system development or improvement and recommended changes to improve efficiency, transparency and effectiveness.

Leadership
• Elected Representative for Management Staff Association (Officer's association to liaison with the Management)
• Work profile full of leadership examples

Extra Curricular:
• Active Member of Toastmaster's Club
• Community Service through the CSR activities of my company - Organized blood donation camps, AIDS awareness campaigns etc.
• An active event organizer throughout my life - right from school till today. Was a member of Organizing Committee for Annual Tech. & Cultural fest at college. Active participation in organizing company events including handling venue, logistics, decor, liaison with speakers etc.

Future Plans:
Energy Consulting with a focus on sustainability.

Target Firms:
GE (internal consulting)
Bain
McKinsey

Backup Plan: Operations management in Energy industry. Target Firm: Shell, Exxon Mobil, Chevron, BP.

Please evaluate my chances for the following schools

1. Tuck
2. Duke Fuqua
3. Darden
4. UCLA
5) Johnson
6) Emory
7) Mc Combs
8) Kelley
9) Ivey, Canada
10) Rotman

Please let me know if there are any apparent weaknesses.
What schools should I focus on. A list of schools reputed for placements in the energy sector (Consulting and Operations).

I have another query regarding GPA system. I graduated from India with 75% aggregate. What would be my GPA as per US system. In case, percentage can not be converted to GPA, any alternative to determine where i stand amongst the GPA averages for various B-schools.

Thank You.

Best Regards,
KUNAL
Send PM
Expert Reply
ashriel wrote:
Hello,

Can you please consider my profile and suggest best fit for me? And also let me know whether I stand a chance applying to top 20?

Little bit about me.
GPA: 3.75-4.0 (Electronic Eng & Management - finished undergrad in UK with 1st Class Honours Degree - conversion of UK degree to GPA is unclear for me, however 3.75+ seems to do the trick according to various sources)
GMAT: taking in June, aiming for 680-720, which I guess is reasonable.

Work experience:

Originally I was enrolled in masters course at the Uni. However during the 4th year I was headhunted and offered with a opportunity to join a reasearch project for two years (EU funded) in Lithuania (where I am now) as researcher - switched my degree to B.Eng and graduated to take this position. As I would like to apply for entry in 2014 Sept, so by the time of Uni start there will be 2 years.

Earlier: summer internship in open source software company in new business department - preparing case studies for clients, cold calls, CRM system management and implementation.

Extras (I apologize for random order):
- First reward for the best business pitch of the entrepreneurial program (raising business creativity)
- awarded with Class medal at the Uni for achiev.
- created + managing of two websites for a local company in my hometown
- at Uni part of squash and tennis club (still trying to play both as often as possible)

Community:
- elderly care (back in hometown) - i won't go into much details here since its quite personal
- still connected with my old high school - collecting necessary means for schooling at orphanage

Recommendations:
- current supervisor from Lithuania
- dean of the department at the Uni/Advisor/one of the Dr I was working with - depending on the number of applications.

As a goal I'd like to focus on management consulting.

On my own I was looking closely at Kelloggs, Haas, Duke, Booth perhaps.

Also If you could point me into the direction of the ways I could improve my profile by the time of application, it would be great.

Thank you for your time.

Hi! You have a diverse background, with a lot of interesting things, very good. You've chosen excellent schools, others you might consider are Wharton, Ross, Columbia, MIT, Stern and INSEAD, if you would be interested in studying Europe - all are known for their consulting tracks. In terms of improving your profile - one thing I don't see much of is managerial experience, so if you can find a way to gain that or emphasize it in your application that would be a great help. I'd also like to see you emphasize any initiatives you've taken - maybe you tried at one point to start your own business on the side? Whether or not it succeeded is less important than the fact that you tried.

You also lack business experience, as well as corporate experience. Since you are planning to apply a year from now, what about trying to get a job that is closer in line with your goals, or one that will give you business and/or management experience? That could also enhance your application.

Good luck!

Joy

Free, detailed MBA chances calculator
Admission tips and scholarship info per school
Plan your application content (free online tool)
Get an initial assessment

Own Kudos [?]: 1109 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
kunzi wrote:
Hello there !!

Work Experience: 7 years at Matriculation with a top Oil exploration and refining company (I worked only in downstream - refining)

4 Years: Mechanical Engineer - Maintenance. Lead a team of 6 technicians. Worked towards ensuring the reliability and availability of mech. equipment. Developed maintenance plans - Preventive and Predictive. Active involvement in Tendering and Contract Management.

2 Years: Senior Engineer - Maintenance and Projects. Leveraged the maintenance expertise to streamline and manage Revamp Project activities. Lead a team of over 40 technicians to complete shutdown activities well ahead of schedule. Job included planning, inter - department coordination and execution.

1 Year: Senior Engineer - Vigilance. Leveraged the technical and commercial expertise to bring systemic improvements across the organization. Focussed on areas that required system development or improvement and recommended changes to improve efficiency, transparency and effectiveness.

Leadership
• Elected Representative for Management Staff Association (Officer's association to liaison with the Management)

Extra Curricular:
• Community Service through the CSR activities of my company - Organized blood donation camps, AIDS awareness campaigns etc.
• An active event organizer throughout my life - right from school till today. Was a member of Organizing Committee for Annual Tech. & Cultural fest at college. Active participation in organizing company events including handling venue, logistics, decor, liaison with speakers etc.

Future Plans:

Target Firms:
GE (internal consulting)
Bain
McKinsey

Backup Plan: Operations management in Energy industry. Target Firm: Shell, Exxon Mobil, Chevron, BP.

1. Tuck
2. Duke Fuqua
3. Darden
4. UCLA
5) Johnson
6) Emory
7) Mc Combs
8) Kelley
9) Ivey, Canada
10) Rotman

What schools should I focus on. A list of schools reputed for placements in the energy sector (Consulting and Operations).

I have another query regarding GPA system. I graduated from India with 75% aggregate. What would be my GPA as per US system. In case, percentage can not be converted to GPA, any alternative to determine where i stand amongst the GPA averages for various B-schools.

Thank You.

Best Regards,
KUNAL

Hi, Kunal
You seem competitive according to what you have written above. It's very good that your career goals are supported by your previous professional experience. I'm glad you have a lot of leadership - that's very important. All of the extracurrics and community service is also excellent. I can't give you a chances evaluation for each of the schools you've listed - there are other factors involved and determining chances is a lengthy process, but there is a link below you can click on and do your own self evaluation. Just answer all of the questions and you will come up with a number that should give you a sense of where you stand.

Regarding your GPA question, this is a tough one. Are you saying that you are not given at all a single GPA? If that is the case, and it is the norm, then you would need to explain this in the optional essay or additional information question provided by each university. I will check around to see if I can provide you with any additional help on this one.

Best wishes,

Joy

Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Aringo wrote:
kunzi wrote:
Hello there !!

Leadership

Extra Curricular:

Future Plans:

Target Firms:
GE (internal consulting)
Bain
McKinsey

1. Tuck
2. Duke Fuqua
3. Darden
4. UCLA
5) Johnson
6) Emory
7) Mc Combs
8) Kelley
9) Ivey, Canada
10) Rotman

Thank You.

Best Regards,
KUNAL

Hi, Kunal
You seem competitive according to what you have written above. It's very good that your career goals are supported by your previous professional experience. I'm glad you have a lot of leadership - that's very important. All of the extracurrics and community service is also excellent. I can't give you a chances evaluation for each of the schools you've listed - there are other factors involved and determining chances is a lengthy process, but there is a link below you can click on and do your own self evaluation. Just answer all of the questions and you will come up with a number that should give you a sense of where you stand.

Regarding your GPA question, this is a tough one. Are you saying that you are not given at all a single GPA? If that is the case, and it is the norm, then you would need to explain this in the optional essay or additional information question provided by each university. I will check around to see if I can provide you with any additional help on this one.

Best wishes,

Joy

Hi - I did a little research about your GPA question, and I understand that some candidates in your position were able to get a GPA from their universities, or were able to convert their rankings to a GPA. However not all were in this position, and for the ones who were not (as it seems you are), the universities they applied to understood the situation, and were able to deal with the transcripts and grades they received. They also understand the relative ranking of the different universities. You might be best off just explaining the situation as I recommended above.

Regards,

Joy

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 177 [0]
Given Kudos: 181
Concentration: Leadership, Marketing
GMAT 1: 540 Q36 V28
GMAT 2: 550 Q39 V27
GMAT 3: 620 Q42 V33
GPA: 2.82
WE:Human Resources (Health Care)
Send PM
Hi. I am currently applying for Desautels (McGill) 's full time course this year . In fact , I am a 30 year old pharmacist with 6.5 work experience 5 of them in a multinational pharmaceutical company first as a sales representative then as a sales trainer after being promoted.I had distinguished extracurricular activities during high school and undergrad but later my job consumed 80% of my time , the rest 20% was dedicated to PG studies and to my family . PG studies include a diploma in Industrial Pharmacy and another in "Training the Trainer" , and a certificate in written translation .In addition to all these ,I got an HR certification from SHRM as well as some workshops and non-academic courses including finance for non-financial managers . Knowing that my GMAT scores are 540 , then a 550 , and my GPA varies between 2.82 -2.94 after assessing it on different GPA calculators,while Desautels responded to my inquiry that they look for 600 GMAT and a GPA 3 , encouraging me to apply but meanwhile implying that they can forgive a slightly lower GPA for a satisfactory GMAT , what do you advise me to do ? which strengths can you see in my profile can compensate for the GMAT gap? knowing that I am applying these days to catch the deadline but will still retake the GMAT for the 3rd time next month aiming at updating them with a better score.By the way , on their website it is said that the range of GMAT scores for their students is 560-780.

Another last issue that my clarify more about my profile :The trend of my GPA is a downward one due to a personal crisis I faced during my last three semesters . Moreover , among the subjects I studied during 5 years of undergraduate studies was a low-weight course (much less credit hours than others) of mere mathematics with a "Pass" in the second year , and another of business administration and basics of finance in the third year with an "Excellent".Both had the same weight .Also, in my first postgraduate degree I studied another "low-weight" course that was a mix of maths and other topics with a "Pass" as well because of the other topics but this detailing can never be explained in he transcripts since the mark stated is the overall of the test.Taken into consideration that I took a three-day workshop "finance for non-financial managers) a few months ago before my GMAT,and that my Quant score increased from 36 in my first attempt to 39 in my second , how do you advise me to connect these together in order to prove I have the sufficient quantitative skills to handle an MBA curriculum ? (I actually do . a big part of my studies were statistics and calculations and also my work involved a lot of data charts and numbers)

Thank you very much.I sincerely appreciate your advice.
Send PM
Expert Reply
prateekbhatt wrote:
Aringo wrote:
prateekbhatt wrote:

10th- 49% (2003)
12th- 60% (2005)

Those were my high school grades and i am not targeting top 20 us schools.[color=#2e3192]

More on profile details below

Regards,

Joy[/color]

Here is little more about me....

1) Brief description of your full-time work experience. What do you do?

After my schooling (2005)i joined my family garment business.We have a small showroom and we get our products from different states of india through our staff. The business was established in 1995, though its not a large scale but i wish to expand it.

My work profile-

Multiple work profile, it really difficult the content it in words but starting from

cleaning my work station to dealing with clients in terms of showing them our product to coordinating with our agents to get the product on time to working on accounts on daily basis and making a balance sheet quaterly.

But since its a small scale business i am afraid that adcom might not consider it.

2) Your GMAT.

Mocks- 720 ( have not taken it yet)

3) College info: The name of the college, your GPA or grade average, your major, year of graduation. For any graduate degrees, please provide the same info. If you grades are low, please indicate if there were extenuating circumstances.

Bachelor in commerce through distance learning from university of Delhi Tier1( 43%) completed in 2009.

For this degree it was really difficult the get a good score and the topper of the university got 62%.

Graduation repeated in Bachelor in commerce through distance learning from Tier 3 university 73% & completed in 2012.

Had to repeat it since i was not eligible to take any indian mba entrances, moreover i knew the my earlier scores were not a reflector of my potentials.

4) Significant college and post-college extra-curricular activities or community service, especially leadership experience.

Diploma in Aviation and hospitality from Edexel University 2010 (18 months duration).
Diploma in Theater 2007.
Certified First Aider.
Certificate in English from BBC UK.
Certified in Galileo and Fideleo( Programs very known in Aviation and hospitality).

5) Important certifications like CFA, CPA, FSA, or CA.

Though i do have a plan to go for CFA.

6) Your target programs.

MBA in Finance
MS in Finance
MS in Economics

7) When you plan to apply? Please specify round and application cycle, for example R1 2013-14 or R3 2012-13.

R1 for Fall 2014.

8) Your post-MBA goal.

Getting a good exposure in international market for around 5 years and then expanding my business and taking it to another level(Have a plan to have chain of big showrooms).

Hi, you say you are looking for an MBA in Finance - but that your long-term goal is to expand the family business, so I'm not sure how that fits together. You might want to reconsider that. If you stay with Finance, you might consider Boston College - it's known for Finance and it's a top 40-50 school with relatively low tuition. Good luck!

Thanks and appreciate your help.
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Aringo wrote:
Aringo wrote:
kunzi wrote:
Hello there !!

Leadership

Extra Curricular:

Future Plans:

Target Firms:
GE (internal consulting)
Bain
McKinsey

1. Tuck
2. Duke Fuqua
3. Darden
4. UCLA
5) Johnson
6) Emory
7) Mc Combs
8) Kelley
9) Ivey, Canada
10) Rotman

Thank You.

Best Regards,
KUNAL

Hi, Kunal

Best wishes,

Joy

Hi - I did a little research about your GPA question, and I understand that some candidates in your position were able to get a GPA from their universities, or were able to convert their rankings to a GPA. However not all were in this position, and for the ones who were not (as it seems you are), the universities they applied to understood the situation, and were able to deal with the transcripts and grades they received. They also understand the relative ranking of the different universities. You might be best off just explaining the situation as I recommended above.

Regards,

Joy

Kunal - one more thing. I don't know of any rankings of MBA programs for the energy sector, but if you are interested in operations, here's a ranking of those programs:

Production/Operations: USNews 2013

1. Massachusetts Institute of Technology (Sloan)
2-3. Carnegie Mellon University (Tepper)
2-3. University of Pennsylvania (Wharton)
4. Stanford University
5. University of Michigan‒Ann Arbor (Ross)
6. Northwestern University (Kellogg)
7. Purdue University‒West Lafayette (Krannert)
8. Columbia University
9. Harvard University
10. Indiana University‒Bloomington (Kelley)
11. University of Texas‒Austin (McCombs)

Hope that helps some :)

Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
TheNona wrote:
Hi. I am currently applying for Desautels (McGill) 's full time course this year . In fact , I am a 30 year old pharmacist with 6.5 work experience 5 of them in a multinational pharmaceutical company first as a sales representative then as a sales trainer after being promoted.I had distinguished extracurricular activities during high school and undergrad but later my job consumed 80% of my time , the rest 20% was dedicated to PG studies and to my family . PG studies include a diploma in Industrial Pharmacy and another in "Training the Trainer" , and a certificate in written translation .In addition to all these ,I got an HR certification from SHRM as well as some workshops and non-academic courses including finance for non-financial managers . Knowing that my GMAT scores are 540 , then a 550 , and my GPA varies between 2.82 -2.94 after assessing it on different GPA calculators,while Desautels responded to my inquiry that they look for 600 GMAT and a GPA 3 , encouraging me to apply but meanwhile implying that they can forgive a slightly lower GPA for a satisfactory GMAT , what do you advise me to do ? which strengths can you see in my profile can compensate for the GMAT gap? knowing that I am applying these days to catch the deadline but will still retake the GMAT for the 3rd time next month aiming at updating them with a better score.By the way , on their website it is said that the range of GMAT scores for their students is 560-780.

Another last issue that my clarify more about my profile :The trend of my GPA is a downward one due to a personal crisis I faced during my last three semesters . Moreover , among the subjects I studied during 5 years of undergraduate studies was a low-weight course (much less credit hours than others) of mere mathematics with a "Pass" in the second year , and another of business administration and basics of finance in the third year with an "Excellent".Both had the same weight .Also, in my first postgraduate degree I studied another "low-weight" course that was a mix of maths and other topics with a "Pass" as well because of the other topics but this detailing can never be explained in he transcripts since the mark stated is the overall of the test.Taken into consideration that I took a three-day workshop "finance for non-financial managers) a few months ago before my GMAT,and that my Quant score increased from 36 in my first attempt to 39 in my second , how do you advise me to connect these together in order to prove I have the sufficient quantitative skills to handle an MBA curriculum ? (I actually do . a big part of my studies were statistics and calculations and also my work involved a lot of data charts and numbers)

Hi, firstly, if there is an optional essay or additional information part, I recommend using it to address your quantitative skills. You can tell them that you are planning to retake the GMAT and update them if you get a higher score. You can also possibly address the personal crisis, as an explanation for the lower GPA. Now how to prove your quantitative skills? You would want to talk about anyplace you use them, whether at work or in extracurricular activities. Mention your attempts to improve your score, like the workshop. Perhaps decide to take a course that will get your quant abilities up to par before school starts, and tell them. If you enroll now, you can even say, I have enrolled in the xxx course, that will begin on yyy, to prepare for my studies. If you got any particularly high grades in university on your math classes, point that out as well.

Good luck!!

Joy

Thank you very much.I sincerely appreciate your advice.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Hi Aringo,

My concern is more with my GPA than my GMAT (Hit a 720) but was hoping you'd give me your thougts??

About me:

I’m 27 years old and am from Northern Ireland. Growing up I was fortunate to live in 13 countries (mostly Asia but with spells in S.America and Australia) and travelled to many more (35+).

Work Experience:

Currently just under 5 years. Would be 6 or 7 depending upon when I decide to matriculate.

1 years 6 months: After graduation I was employed by (and co- founded) a start-up which focused on providing VC, Executive management expertise and international marketing to small to mid-stage growth companies within the oil and gas sector. We had a VC fund of $5million, which I raised funds for, and my work took me to Norway and Singapore regularly. The partners have recently wound up the business as they have been offered senior positions with other start-ups (they are both VP level within the industry)

6 months: I worked for an executive level figure within a multinational asset manager to create, develop and market new investment vehicles. These focused upon the alternative energy space and were marketed to institutional investors in Europe alongside the larger Middle Eastern sovereign wealth funds.

3 years Worked for another multinational asset manager, the investment arm of one of the world’s largest banks. Joined at the Analyst level and was promoted to Associate after 1 year and 3 months. Initially worked in global strategy but requested a move into institutional sales as I wanted to have a more direct and perhaps tangible effect upon the balance sheet, along with wanting to interact with fund managers, investment analysts etc more. Primarily worked on pitches and research for our emerging market focused products.

Present (4 Months): Business development manager, raising assets from institutional investors for an Asian based investment firm with responsibility for clients in the Uk, Netherlands and Ireland.

Extracurricular:

College: I played rugby for the college team; I also managed one of the intramural teams (Got the squad together, liased with other teams, secured sponsorship etc). Assisted with coaching of a local junior school rugby team in the area. Was a member of the university investment club.

After College: I sit on an alumni committee for my university which gets events going in and around the capital and which also seeks to increase alumni involvement with the university for mutual benefit. Participate in various charities and do volunteer work. I have climbed Mt Kilimanjaro to raise money for charity and have helped to build an orphanage in Vietnam. I continue to travel as opportunity allows, and hobbies include golf and rugby.

Qualifications:
I have been accepted onto a part time MSc in Finance at Cass Business School in London, commencing September 2013. The MBA would definitely be my preference and, if the masters won’t aid my admission, I’ll forgo it to focus on my MBA applications

Weaknesses:
Very low GPA. I don’t know what it translates to in the American system as I studied in the UK, but I’ve seen it converted as low as 2.0. No excuses, I had a hard time at college but bare sole responsibility for my own failings. I’ve worked hard to prevent it from holding me back.

I not sure which is the best way to combat this, taking several college level classes and getting A's (UCLA extension perhaps) doing the masters and putting off my MBA application for a year or two?

GMAT: 720. I may be able to push this higher with dedicated study and practice. I’m looking to matriculate in 3 years.

Target Schools

Stretch: NYU, Duke, Darden,Ross

Sweet spot/Fall back: UNC, Emory, Georgetown, Texas @ Austin, Rice, Marshall

So:
- Is the MSc in Finance something I should pursue? My only interest in doing so would be if a) I’m very unlikely to gain admission to any of the schools listed above b) it would help my application
- Are the schools I have listed appropriate?

Thanks again, I look forward to getting your input
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 90
Send PM
Aringo wrote:
Aringo wrote:
kunzi wrote:
Hello there !!

Leadership

Extra Curricular:

Future Plans:

Target Firms:
GE (internal consulting)
Bain
McKinsey

1. Tuck
2. Duke Fuqua
3. Darden
4. UCLA
5) Johnson
6) Emory
7) Mc Combs
8) Kelley
9) Ivey, Canada
10) Rotman

Thank You.

Best Regards,
KUNAL

Hi, Kunal

Best wishes,

Joy

Regards,

Joy

Hey Joy,

Thank you so much for your prompt response.

I can't thank you enough for your effort and tons of advice that you've given here.

Thanx a lot... sincerely.

Best Regards,
KUNAL
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  14   15   16   17   18   19   20  ...  75