Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Jul 2014, 21:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Ask Boston University School of Management Admissions

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
2 KUDOS received
Official Business School Representative
avatar
Joined: 24 Jan 2012
Posts: 5
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 3 [2] , given: 0

Ask Boston University School of Management Admissions [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2012, 15:32
2
This post received
KUDOS
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED

Welcome to the official Boston University School of Management Ask Admissions Thread!




Boston University School of Management Admissions Team would like to welcome everyone to this thread and offer an opportunity to ask questions about our leading MBA program. If there is anything we can help with, please let us know.






Rankings



Popular Links

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Official Business School Representative
avatar
Joined: 24 Jan 2012
Posts: 5
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: Ask Boston University School of Management Admissions [#permalink] New post 15 Feb 2012, 10:32
Hello everyone,

I wanted to take a moment and just say that we're excited to use this new format to connect and answer any of your questions. I'll personally try and answer as many as possible, so please feel free to reach out to me on here or through our many other ways of connecting.

Best,
Chris

Christopher E. Storer
Director of Admission
Boston University School of Management
P: (617) 353-2670 | F: (617) 353-7368

MSN | AIM | Yahoo | Google Talk – BostonUMBA

_____________________________________________
Upcoming application deadline – March 12th
Two-year MBA and MS•MBA
Professional Evening MBA – Boston and North Campuses
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 27 Feb 2012
Posts: 1
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Ask Boston University School of Management Admissions [#permalink] New post 27 Feb 2012, 07:52
Hello,

This is Kushal from India.

I am interested in applying to Boston University for Masters in Business Administration. But before I proceed, I have a few queries.

About Me: I have completed my 15 years of Education with my undergraduate degree being Bachelors of science with majors in Computer Science. My average percentage in my last 2 years has been 62.86%. I have a work experience of 15 months and I currently work as Project Coordinator for a UK based Publishing firm.
I haven't taken GMAT or TOEFL yet. But I do plan to take them in some time.

Question: Does BU MBA offer specialization in operations? What is the key criteria for admission? If one does not meet the criteria of 16 years of full time education. What would you suggest to meet eligibility requirements?

I look forward to hear from you.

Thanks & Regards,

Kushal Bhardwaj
1 KUDOS received
Official Business School Representative
avatar
Joined: 24 Jan 2012
Posts: 5
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 3 [1] , given: 0

Re: Ask Boston University School of Management Admissions [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2012, 08:26
1
This post received
KUDOS
Hi Kushal,

Thanks for your interest in the Boston University School of Management. Operations and Technology Management is one of the many concentrations that we have available at the School of Management. Sample elective courses in this concentration include:

Managing and Improving Quality: Six Sigma Green Belt Certification
Clean Technologies and Supply Chains
Supply Chain Management
Project Management
Product Design and Development

We do accept Indian applicants with 15 years of education, however it is important to note than many successful Indian candidates have 16 years of education, or a CA, or a post graduate diploma.

The system won't currently allow me to post links, however I'd encourage you to review the profile of the class that began in August 2011. Here are a few highlights:

Average Middle 80 percent
GMAT 683 620 - 740
Work Exp 4.9 years 2.5 years to 7.5 years
GPA 3.3 2.9 to 3.8
Age 28 25 to 31

Please let me know if you have other questions.

All the best,
Chris


Christopher E. Storer
Director of Admission
Boston University School of Management
P: (617) 353-2670 | F: (617) 353-7368

MSN | AIM | Yahoo | Google Talk – BostonUMBA
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 20 Jul 2011
Posts: 36
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Ask Boston University School of Management Admissions [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2012, 19:02
Hi Chris,

I am an R3 applicant to 2 year MBA program and was wondering if the admissions committee is still sending out invitations for interview? Thank you so much for answering my question.

Best regards,
Eason
Official Business School Representative
avatar
Joined: 24 Jan 2012
Posts: 5
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: Ask Boston University School of Management Admissions [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2012, 05:41
Hi Eason,

We have issued the majority of interview invitations for R3 applicants, however there are certainly occasions when the admission committee will invite additional candidates to interview once our deliberations begin. We'll begin those meetings next week, but you will certainly receive a decision from us by April 13th if your application is considered complete.

Let us know if you have other questions.

Best,
Chris


easonchiang wrote:
Hi Chris,

I am an R3 applicant to 2 year MBA program and was wondering if the admissions committee is still sending out invitations for interview? Thank you so much for answering my question.

Best regards,
Eason
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 08 Sep 2011
Posts: 176
Location: Thailand
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Sauder '16 (A)
GMAT 1: 700 Q45 V41
GPA: 3.29
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 21

Re: Ask Boston University School of Management Admissions [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2012, 03:43
Hi Chris,

I was wondering if you could point out some key differences (besides academics) between the 2-year MBA and the MS/MBA in Information Systems. I am considering between getting just the MBA (if there can be such a thing as "just" an MBA) and a dual-degree, and feel this would be a great starting point.

In addition, what are the scholarship possibilities for international students? Could you shed some light on what would be the typical profile of an international student getting a decent scholarship/fellowship/grant at BU?

Thank you.
Official Business School Representative
avatar
Joined: 24 Jan 2012
Posts: 5
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: Ask Boston University School of Management Admissions [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2012, 10:19
Thanks for your question and interest in Boston University. It may seem obvious, but dual or joint degrees allow you the opportunity to earn two degrees in less time than it would take to do both degrees separately. In most cases, the two degree programs are allowing you to count some of their coursework toward the other degree you're planning to pursue. This results in you saving time and money.

With the MS-MBA (MS in Information Systems and MBA) at BU, this has been highly integrated allowing you to complete BOTH degrees in the same time that it would normally take you to do our traditional Two-year MBA. To your point about the differences besides academics, with an MS degree you're delving deeper into that specific coursework than you typically would with normal MBA electives. This is true of most MS degrees. Since they have a more narrow focus, they're able to go deeper in terms of the content. In addition, we find that our MS-MBA students use the dual degree as a differentiator when applying for internships and placements after graduation versus those candidates who solely have an MBA.

For scholarships, the Boston University School of Management offers a merit-based scholarship program with awards valued up to $90,000 for the duration of the program. For the class that began in August 2011, 75 percent of the enrolling students received scholarship assistance with the average award being $18,000 per year. Scholarships are open to all applicants, including international students. You simply need to submit an application to be considered and you will be notified of any award at the time of admission.

Feel free to post on here if you have other questions.

Best,
Chris


Christopher E. Storer
Director of Admission
Boston University School of Management
P: (617) 353-2670 | F: (617) 353-7368

MSN | AIM | Yahoo | Google Talk – BostonUMBA


westsidah408 wrote:
Hi Chris,

I was wondering if you could point out some key differences (besides academics) between the 2-year MBA and the MS/MBA in Information Systems. I am considering between getting just the MBA (if there can be such a thing as "just" an MBA) and a dual-degree, and feel this would be a great starting point.

In addition, what are the scholarship possibilities for international students? Could you shed some light on what would be the typical profile of an international student getting a decent scholarship/fellowship/grant at BU?

Thank you.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 08 Sep 2011
Posts: 176
Location: Thailand
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Sauder '16 (A)
GMAT 1: 700 Q45 V41
GPA: 3.29
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 21

Re: Ask Boston University School of Management Admissions [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2012, 20:16
Thanks, Chris!

BostonUMBA wrote:
Thanks for your question and interest in Boston University. It may seem obvious, but dual or joint degrees allow you the opportunity to earn two degrees in less time than it would take to do both degrees separately. In most cases, the two degree programs are allowing you to count some of their coursework toward the other degree you're planning to pursue. This results in you saving time and money.

With the MS-MBA (MS in Information Systems and MBA) at BU, this has been highly integrated allowing you to complete BOTH degrees in the same time that it would normally take you to do our traditional Two-year MBA. To your point about the differences besides academics, with an MS degree you're delving deeper into that specific coursework than you typically would with normal MBA electives. This is true of most MS degrees. Since they have a more narrow focus, they're able to go deeper in terms of the content. In addition, we find that our MS-MBA students use the dual degree as a differentiator when applying for internships and placements after graduation versus those candidates who solely have an MBA.

For scholarships, the Boston University School of Management offers a merit-based scholarship program with awards valued up to $90,000 for the duration of the program. For the class that began in August 2011, 75 percent of the enrolling students received scholarship assistance with the average award being $18,000 per year. Scholarships are open to all applicants, including international students. You simply need to submit an application to be considered and you will be notified of any award at the time of admission.

Feel free to post on here if you have other questions.

Best,
Chris


Christopher E. Storer
Director of Admission
Boston University School of Management
P: (617) 353-2670 | F: (617) 353-7368

MSN | AIM | Yahoo | Google Talk – BostonUMBA


westsidah408 wrote:
Hi Chris,

I was wondering if you could point out some key differences (besides academics) between the 2-year MBA and the MS/MBA in Information Systems. I am considering between getting just the MBA (if there can be such a thing as "just" an MBA) and a dual-degree, and feel this would be a great starting point.

In addition, what are the scholarship possibilities for international students? Could you shed some light on what would be the typical profile of an international student getting a decent scholarship/fellowship/grant at BU?

Thank you.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Status: I will not stop until i realise my goal which is my dream too
Joined: 25 Feb 2010
Posts: 235
Schools: Johnson '15
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 16

GMAT Tests User
Re: Ask Boston University School of Management Admissions [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2012, 05:49
BostonUMBA wrote:
Hi Kushal,

Thanks for your interest in the Boston University School of Management. Operations and Technology Management is one of the many concentrations that we have available at the School of Management. Sample elective courses in this concentration include:

Managing and Improving Quality: Six Sigma Green Belt Certification
Clean Technologies and Supply Chains
Supply Chain Management
Project Management
Product Design and Development

We do accept Indian applicants with 15 years of education, however it is important to note than many successful Indian candidates have 16 years of education, or a CA, or a post graduate diploma.

The system won't currently allow me to post links, however I'd encourage you to review the profile of the class that began in August 2011. Here are a few highlights:

Average Middle 80 percent
GMAT 683 620 - 740
Work Exp 4.9 years 2.5 years to 7.5 years
GPA 3.3 2.9 to 3.8
Age 28 25 to 31

Please let me know if you have other questions.

All the best,
Chris


Christopher E. Storer
Director of Admission
Boston University School of Management
P: (617) 353-2670 | F: (617) 353-7368

MSN | AIM | Yahoo | Google Talk – BostonUMBA


Hello Chris,

hence, a profile with 9-years of professional experience is not suitable for 1-year MBA in BU? i have seen only few universities with IT specialization.

I am more interested in doing MBA eyeing the IT as i want to grow towards TECHNOLOGY MANAGEMENT stream.

Regards
Harsha
_________________

Regards,
Harsha

Note: Give me kudos if my approach is right , else help me understand where i am missing.. I want to bell the GMAT Cat ;)

Satyameva Jayate - Truth alone triumphs

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 24 Sep 2012
Posts: 1
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Ask Boston University School of Management Admissions [#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2012, 05:25
Hi Chris,

I am international student who have graduated with a Bachelor degree in the Uk in 2010.

Does the school accept 3 years degree as I know some schools does not ?

And if this is the case. Is there any option for me should I still want to pursue the program ?

Thank you

Nick
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 05 Nov 2012
Posts: 6
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Ask Boston University School of Management Admissions [#permalink] New post 05 Nov 2012, 21:58
Boston University is a rather large, private institution located in the city of Boston, Massachusetts, and has a combined graduate and undergraduate population of over 28,980 students
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 12 Jan 2013
Posts: 1
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Ask Boston University School of Management Admissions [#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2013, 03:07
hey, i am a CA from India and i have completed 16 years of education too as i have completed bachelors in commerce which is a three year course as well as bachelors in general law which is a two year course, but i hardly have any work experience. i interned as an article assistant under a practising CA in India for three years. will that be considered as work experience to get into your school?

Sneha.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 27 Jan 2013
Posts: 7
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Ask Boston University School of Management Admissions [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2013, 09:34
Hi Chris,

Just wanted a few clarifications regarding the admission requirements.

1. I have heard that MBA colleges in US accept students with 16 years of education. If I have only 15, would i not be granted admission?
2. I have 5 years of work experience in Accountancy, Supply chain, Operations and a small amount of Sales. I'm looking for an MBA with specialisation in Marketing. Does BU have that specialisation?
3. My GPA is below the average GPA and so is my GMAT score. Do you suggest that i shouldnt waste time with applications or are there other criteria which could help?
4. I dont intend to apply for any scholarship or financial aid, would this help in lowering the averages or would they still remain stringent?

Appreciate your help.

Thanks and Regards
Shatrujit
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 20 Jan 2012
Posts: 13
Location: United States
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
GMAT 2: 690 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.5
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Ask Boston University School of Management Admissions [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2013, 23:02
Hi,

I am Rahul from india.
Gmat score-650(Q49 V29)
Test date- 30-01-2013
College- delhi college of engineering (delhi university)
Aggregate-70.06%( top 20% of my batch)..gpa-3.5
Work ex-19 months
Position- project engineer/co-ordinator( project management and business development) oil&gas
Wanna pursue MBA in finance..portfolio management/investment banking..


event head at tech fest of our college
organised various conferences/events
was in corporate team of college
was in football team of our department

Scholar at school
topper in chemisty at school in senior secondary
Participated in various maths& science quiz.....Scholarship of Rs 20,000 in tenth grade for scoring more than 95% in Physics, chemistry and maths combined.
qualified for second level of national science olympiad ..that is held in india at school level.
Won first prize many times for summer project in school.

can some1 pls let me know my chances at boston?
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 08 Jan 2013
Posts: 23
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Ask Boston University School of Management Admissions [#permalink] New post 04 Feb 2013, 03:48
Any scholarship and loan to Indian?
Manager
Manager
avatar
Status: Got Bling! Joined Phd Finance at IIML
Affiliations: IIMB, advantages.us, IIML
Joined: 03 Jul 2013
Posts: 99
Location: India
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: iim-bangalore - Class of 1994
GMAT 1: 750 Q59 V43
GPA: 3.12
WE: Research (Investment Banking)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 39

Re: Ask Boston University School of Management Admissions [#permalink] New post 03 Jul 2013, 12:16
Hi Chris,

Any tips for phd aspirants online?
Re: Ask Boston University School of Management Admissions   [#permalink] 03 Jul 2013, 12:16
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
1 Ask Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University (RSM) RotterdamMBA 2 13 Jun 2013, 10:23
3 Ask Boston University School of Management Admissions BostonUMBA 16 23 Jan 2012, 15:32
6 Ask Rotman School of Management Admissions RotmanMBA 76 30 Aug 2012, 16:18
4 Ask University of British Columbia Sauder School Admissions UBCMBA 43 05 Jun 2012, 21:02
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Ask Boston University School of Management Admissions

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


cron

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.