Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Aug 2014, 02:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Ask Cambridge (Judge) Admissions

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Official Business School Representative
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 0

Re: Ask Cambridge (Judge) Admissions [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2011, 11:40
hirendhak

I don't make individual assessments for candidates. But if you have a full-time bachelor's degree with at least a 2:1 and a minimum of three years work experience, then you satisfy those requirements.

All the best.

Conrad Chua
Head MBA Admissions
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
Schools: INSEAD '14
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Re: Ask Cambridge (Judge) Admissions [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2011, 10:14
hi,

I read your revert on the work permit issue, Interesting point made is the NON EU students have to get JOB offers while they are on the student VISA - that is before completion of the MBA - After the course is over - if there are no jobs - they would have to return to their respective home country.

Could you please share some data points as to how many students receive job offers while doing their MBA ( as website data is 3 months from graduation) - & what % of those job offers are generated through career services.

Also share some light on options for a NON EU students - who does not get placed before finishing his MBA - how much time do they have on hand - Before being deported.

Re: Ask Cambridge (Judge) Admissions [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2011, 13:34
@alokag. the visa is usually for the duration of the course plus 4 months so you can use the website data on offers received within 3 months of graduation as the data point.

However, I always tell people that it is not that instructive to extrapolate from the employment data of any school to one's individual case. You have to look at your own work experience and ask yourself how close a fit it is to your desired career transition. You can also ask people in the area/company that you want to work in whether your profile is competitive and whether an MBA would help strengthen your profile.

Conrad Chua
Head MBA Admissions
University of Cambridge Judge Business School
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 9

Re: Ask Cambridge (Judge) Admissions [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2011, 20:48
Dear Mr. Conrad Chua,

Thank you for taking the time to answer questions on GMAT Club.

I am a prospective MBA candidate interested in working in finance in the Greater China region. From my understanding, most bulge bracket investment banks and large private equity firms hire almost exclusively out of their summer associate class. Since the Judge MBA is a 1 year program, I was wondering how Judge makes up for a lack of a summer internship, in terms of placement at top financial services firms, compared to 2 year programs such as LBS?

Also according to the Cambridge MBA employment report for the Class of 2009, 45% of students were of Asian nationalities but Asia only accounted for 9% of the post-MBA job location. I have an US background, am currently working in Asia, and plan to return to Asia post-MBA. I was wondering if you can comment on Judge's Asia employment placement and alumni network given what seems like the vast majority of students from Asia choosing to stay in the UK rather than return home?

Thank you again for taking the time to answer questions on this website

Last edited by shanghaizzle on 25 Oct 2011, 15:54, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Ask Cambridge (Judge) Admissions [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2011, 22:16
Robert

Thanks for your email.

Firstly, the 2009 employment report showed that 33% of our graduates worked in Asia post-MBA, not 9% as you mentioned.

Secondly, you are right that many bulge bracket investment banks hire associates through the summer internship route. But that does not mean that our graduates do not enter the investment banking field. Quite a number work in boutique investment banks and some graduates work in bulge bracket investment banks. A few of those who work in the bulge bracket firms had no prior experience in finance but they were very strong personalities who did their homework, networked intelligently and had the persistence to keep plugging away. Ironically, such graduates were hired at levels above an associate, but I should say that these were exceptional leaders in their own right.

If you are considering a career in investment banking, I would suggest talking to people in the field right now to ascertain the hiring situation for the next two years.

Conrad Chua
Head University of Cambridge Judge Business School MBA Admissions
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 9

Re: Ask Cambridge (Judge) Admissions [#permalink] New post 02 Oct 2011, 21:02
Dear Mr Conrad Chua,

Thank you for your response and I apologize for my mistake on Cambridge's Asia employment numbers.

I currently work for a boutique financial services firm and am interested in making a transition into a larger firm post-MBA. From networking, I have learned that while I can secure letters of recommendations from currently employees at the larger firms, I will still likely have to go through the official graduate recruitment process at the associate level. (I currently have too little experience for employment above the associate level.) Recruitment at larger firms often takes place during September of the year prior to the employment date, which is roughly the same time as Cambridge's MBA matriculation date.

One of the many things that draws me to the Cambridge MBA is that it is only a 1 year program, but I was wondering if you could highlight some things that Cambridge does to prepare its students for employment very early in its MBA process? Also I was wondering if you could highlight some things that Cambridge does to prepare its students for recruitment many thousands of kilometers away from the UK?

Thank you very much

Last edited by shanghaizzle on 25 Oct 2011, 15:54, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Ask Cambridge (Judge) Admissions [#permalink] New post 02 Oct 2011, 22:16
Robert

Careers prep starts before students even step foot on campus. Our Careers team asks students to polish up their CVs, crystallise their career goals and start planning their career search. They then arrange 1-on-1 sessions with students through the first few weeks of term. There are also case interview workshops that the Careers team organises.

60% of our class work outside the UK after graduation. They find their jobs in a variety of ways. Many companies hire globally and there is a standard recruitment process that candidates have to adhere to regardless of location. This applies even to the companies who visit campus. But many students use their initiative to initiate and share contacts, which might lead to group consulting projects/internships for themselves and other students. This then could subsequently lead to formal work opportunities. I've been very impressed with the number of students who have collaborated with their fellow classmates by giving feedback about their job search ideas or pointing them in the right direction.

Given that you are already in Asia, you will have an advantage in terms of knowing the region and people in the industry. One question you left unanswered is why do you want to make the transition to a large i-bank. Are you also looking for a change in your job function?

Conrad Chua
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Ask Cambridge (Judge) Admissions [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2011, 08:09
Dear Conard,

Could you please advise by when we can expect the list of shortlisted students for interview?

Thanks,
Chetan

Re: Ask Cambridge (Judge) Admissions [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2011, 08:26
Chetan

You should expect a decision end of this week or early next week.

Kind regards

Conrad
Intern
Intern

Re: Ask Cambridge (Judge) Admissions [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2011, 09:04
Thanks Conard,

I hope my name is there in that list :).

Chetan
Intern
Intern
GMAT Date: 01-09-2012

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Ask Cambridge (Judge) Admissions [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2011, 01:07
Hi Conrad,

How much does a low cumulative grade point average affect an otherwise strong application? Unfortunately, due to a series of circumstances, my grades from my early undergraduate years were fairly poor. I left school to work full-time and returned after an 8 year hiatus to finish my degree. My cumulative GPA is only 2.5/4.0, however my GPA for all upper division business courses during the last two years is up to a 3.7. I am nearly complete with my degree in Accounting, Finance and General Management from a public US University. I plan on taking the GMAT in January 2012 and ,based on practice exams, expect to score at least in the low to mid 600's. I know that the only chance of explaining my situation would be in an interview. Does my application even stand a chance with such a low GPA or will it get binned at the get go?

Thank you for your input

p.s. My primary interest is in International Business

Re: Ask Cambridge (Judge) Admissions [#permalink] New post 06 Oct 2011, 08:00
@EJ3

I would suggest that you try to get a high GMAT. OUr average GMAT is 684 in the current class and the median GMAT is 690 and you should look at scoring much higher than that to reassure us that your undergrad performance is not a true reflection of your academic abilities.

All the best.

Conrad Chua
Head MBA Admissions
Intern
Intern
GMAT Date: 01-09-2012

Re: Ask Cambridge (Judge) Admissions [#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2011, 03:16
Thank you for your reply Conrad. I am definitely going to shoot for that 700!
Intern
Intern

Re: Ask Cambridge (Judge) Admissions [#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2011, 10:50
Conrad,

Does Cambridge allow a student to defer studies for a year?

I am very interested in the MBA program right now but am intending to enter for the 2013-2014 year so that I may get a year more experience and work internationally. If I apply for the 2012 year and am accepted, is it possible to defer for one year, or do I have to decline and completely re-apply for 2013?

This brings up another question. If I apply for the 2012 school year and am rejected, is it possible that Cambridge admissions can provide feedback as to what my shortcomings were? If I were rejected for 2012, it would be nice to know what I can do to improve my chances for 2013, if anything at all.

Thanks,
Aaron
Canada

Re: Ask Cambridge (Judge) Admissions [#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2011, 20:21
Aaron

We do allow deferrals but candidates must demonstrate that the additional year that they take out will enhance their overall application. But if you are set on starting in 2013, the question would be why apply now when the extra year working would, in your view, give you more international work experience? You could do some prep now, e.g. sit for GMAT and gather undergrad transcripts if those activities become more difficult in the coming year.

Kind regards

Conrad Chua
Head MBA Admissions
University of Cambridge
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
Schools: Cambridge '14
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Re: Ask Cambridge (Judge) Admissions [#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2011, 09:51
Hi All,

I have a question regarding Cambridge's first essay where I am supposed write about issues in my sector in next 3 years. All my career I have worked for Indian IT Giants like Infosys, Wipro and TCS. Should I say my sector as Indian IT sector or I have to talk around IT sector in general?

Thanks,
Shabnam

Re: Ask Cambridge (Judge) Admissions [#permalink] New post 27 Oct 2011, 07:02
The Cambridge MBA has established a £10,000 bursary for candidates with a professional military background. You can read more about the bursary at

http://www.thecambridgembaadmissions.co ... -military/

Feel free to post any questions about the bursary if you are interested.

Kind regards.

Conrad Chua
Head MBA Admissions
University of Cambridge
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GPA: 4

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 7

Re: Ask Cambridge (Judge) Admissions [#permalink] New post 27 Oct 2011, 14:40
Hello! Would it be possible to visit Judge sometime around late Janurary or early February? Do you have any events planned for then? Cheers.

Re: Ask Cambridge (Judge) Admissions [#permalink] New post 27 Oct 2011, 15:40
@LatinAmericanMBA

We will have another Open Day, probably in Feb but we have not confirmed the details. If you are travelling through Europe, you are welcome to visit the school. Just drop us an email at mba-enquiries@jbs.cam.ac.uk and we will arrange for someone to meet you.

Kind regards

Conrad Chua
Head MBA Admissions
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GPA: 4

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 7

Re: Ask Cambridge (Judge) Admissions [#permalink] New post 27 Oct 2011, 16:02
Thanks Conrad! Will do that, and see you then :)