Ask Columbia GSB Admissions : Columbia - Page 7
Check GMAT Club App Tracker for the Latest School Decision Releases http://gmatclub.com/AppTrack

It is currently 03 Dec 2016, 06:06
GMAT Club Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Ask Columbia GSB Admissions

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 14 Dec 2011
Posts: 184
Schools: LBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39
GMAT 2: Q V
GPA: 3.9
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 13

Re: Ask Columbia GSB Admissions [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Mar 2012, 10:46
Hi Admissions Team,

How many 30+ candidates do you admit? Would a candidate be at a disadvantage due to age?

Thanks.
Official Business School Representative
User avatar
Joined: 05 Oct 2011
Posts: 204
Followers: 26

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 0

Re: Ask Columbia GSB Admissions [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Apr 2012, 09:19
kookie wrote:
Hello, there are a few of us who applied before the merit deadline (Jan 4) but have not heard anything back, including interview invites or rejections. I understand CBS follows a rolling admissions process, but could you provide any clarity on when we can expect to hear a response considering it has been roughly 3 months since submission? Many thanks for your time.



Hi kookie,

Thank you for your question. We try to get applicants decisions between 8-12 weeks from when their application went under review; however this can be extended. If you have specific questions about your application please contact us at apply@gsb.columbia.edu.

Regards,
_________________

Kelsey Kephart
Assistant Director
MBA Admissions
Twitter: @ColumbiaMBA

Official Business School Representative
User avatar
Joined: 05 Oct 2011
Posts: 204
Followers: 26

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 0

Re: Ask Columbia GSB Admissions [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Apr 2012, 09:35
someone79 wrote:
Hi Admissions Team,

How many 30+ candidates do you admit? Would a candidate be at a disadvantage due to age?

Thanks.



Hi someone79

Thank you for your e-mail. We admit several applicants each year who are 30 and over. Age does not put applicants at a disadvantage.

Best of luck!
_________________

Kelsey Kephart
Assistant Director
MBA Admissions
Twitter: @ColumbiaMBA

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 14 May 2011
Posts: 280
Location: Costa Rica
Concentration: Healthcare, International Business
GMAT 1: 710 Q42 V45
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.3
WE: Research (Consulting)
Followers: 18

Kudos [?]: 127 [0], given: 134

Re: Ask Columbia GSB Admissions [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Apr 2012, 10:50
ColumbiaMBA wrote:

Hi A.

As you know the application process is holistic and the GMAT is just one aspect of the process. There is never a single reason for admission or denial, so unfortunately there isn't a simple answer to your question. If you have taken your GMAT several times and you feel it will not change, then I suggest focusing on the other parts of your application.

Good luck,


Hi Matt, my apologies I realized before writing it that it was too generic!
- Let me rephrase, is there any average/median GMAT quant score breakdown for current students there? A range perhaps? Website only lists total avg. GMAT score and median range.

- Alternately, have students who have a low quant score that have been admitted into CBS in the past displayed quantitative abilities in other aspects of their resume to compensate? For example, would taking and excelling in a good online Business stats course demonstrate quant aptitude to an extent (e.g. Cornell)? Again, I realize there's no straight forward answer to this one, but is it a good "öptional essay" topic?

Sorry to press this, but I'm trying my best to gauge whether I'm CBS applicant-worthy material as its currently on my top 3 list for 2013. Thanks for your time.
_________________


How to improve your RC score, pls Kudo if helpful! http://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-improve-my-rc-accuracy-117195.html
Work experience (as of June 2012)
2.5 yrs (Currently employed) - Mckinsey & Co. (US Healthcare Analyst)
2 yrs - Advertising industry (client servicing)

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 13 Apr 2012
Posts: 10
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 53

Re: Ask Columbia GSB Admissions [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Apr 2012, 13:59
Hi Admissions Team,

I'm colombian and English isn't my native language. I took the TOEFL and got 98/120 which I don't know if its enough to get into Columbia Business School. Should I retake the TOEFL?

Is there any minimum TOEFL score recommended to apply into Columbia.

Many thanks.
Official Business School Representative
User avatar
Joined: 05 Oct 2011
Posts: 204
Followers: 26

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 0

Re: Ask Columbia GSB Admissions [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Apr 2012, 18:06
Aximili85 wrote:
ColumbiaMBA wrote:

Hi A.

As you know the application process is holistic and the GMAT is just one aspect of the process. There is never a single reason for admission or denial, so unfortunately there isn't a simple answer to your question. If you have taken your GMAT several times and you feel it will not change, then I suggest focusing on the other parts of your application.

Good luck,


Hi Matt, my apologies I realized before writing it that it was too generic!
- Let me rephrase, is there any average/median GMAT quant score breakdown for current students there? A range perhaps? Website only lists total avg. GMAT score and median range.

- Alternately, have students who have a low quant score that have been admitted into CBS in the past displayed quantitative abilities in other aspects of their resume to compensate? For example, would taking and excelling in a good online Business stats course demonstrate quant aptitude to an extent (e.g. Cornell)? Again, I realize there's no straight forward answer to this one, but is it a good "öptional essay" topic?

Sorry to press this, but I'm trying my best to gauge whether I'm CBS applicant-worthy material as its currently on my top 3 list for 2013. Thanks for your time.



Hi Aximili85,

Thank you for following up. We do not have a break out for the quant section of the GMAT. We look at all aspects of the application so if applicants take additional courses we will certainly take those into consideration. We will also look at work experience when we consider an applicant's abilities. If you feel that you want to explain your quant scores and how you have shown quant ability in other aspects of your profile you may do so in the optional essay.

Good Luck,
_________________

Kelsey Kephart
Assistant Director
MBA Admissions
Twitter: @ColumbiaMBA

Official Business School Representative
User avatar
Joined: 05 Oct 2011
Posts: 204
Followers: 26

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 0

Re: Ask Columbia GSB Admissions [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Apr 2012, 18:16
coreaspirant wrote:
I applied for Fall 2012 but got a reject. If I am applying again to CSB for Fall 2013, I will be adding a reapplicant essay, but other essays will remain more or less same. I will be able to show developments in my professional/personal life in my CV/Resume and Extra-curricular activities.

1) Does most of the reapplicants have the same essays they had the previous year?

2) Or do you expect to have fresh essays?

3) Also does an AWA score of 4 automatically makes a reject, or are there people with AWA of 4 being accepted by CSB?

4) Since I am an International Applicant required to submit Toefl/PTE score, I would like to know what is the mean range of PTE score

5)And what score in writing in PTE will negate the effect of AWA score of 4

Regards


Hi coreaspirant,

Thank you for your question. Reapplicants are only required to follow the reapplicant checklist http://www4.gsb.columbia.edu/mba/admiss ... plications which includes the reapplicant essay. You are not required to complete any other essays. We consider the entire application when considering applicants and there will not be a single reason why an applicant is admitted or denied. Additionally, the application is a holistic review process so one part of the application is not able to "make up" for part of the other.

Lastly we do not have a range for the TOEFL or the PTE.

I hope this helps.

Regards,
_________________

Kelsey Kephart
Assistant Director
MBA Admissions
Twitter: @ColumbiaMBA

Official Business School Representative
User avatar
Joined: 05 Oct 2011
Posts: 204
Followers: 26

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 0

Re: Ask Columbia GSB Admissions [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Apr 2012, 18:25
randomguy2012 wrote:
why are CU employees so rude all of the time?


Hi randomguy2012,

I am sorry you didn't have a positive experience with us. Please feel free to send me your e-mail address through Private Message and I will be happy to set up time to speak with you directly. If you prefer to reach out through our general lines you can reach us at 212-854-1961 or apply@gsb.columbia.edu and our admissions counselors will be happy to assist you.

Regards,
_________________

Kelsey Kephart
Assistant Director
MBA Admissions
Twitter: @ColumbiaMBA

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 27 Aug 2008
Posts: 12
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
WE: General Management (Retail Banking)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Ask Columbia GSB Admissions [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Apr 2012, 09:03
Are any statistics published on the different entering classes (Aug vs Jan entry)? I'm particularly interested in class profile and employment.

When will the Jan entry application be available?

Thanks!
Official Business School Representative
User avatar
Joined: 05 Oct 2011
Posts: 204
Followers: 26

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 0

Re: Ask Columbia GSB Admissions [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Apr 2012, 13:11
whitie8lax wrote:
Are any statistics published on the different entering classes (Aug vs Jan entry)? I'm particularly interested in class profile and employment.

When will the Jan entry application be available?

Thanks!


Thank you for your question. We do not have a breakout for employment between August and January. Previous employment is combined for both classes and shown here http://www4.gsb.columbia.edu/mba/admiss ... assprofile. The application for January should be available in late May.

We look forward to seeing your application!
_________________

Kelsey Kephart
Assistant Director
MBA Admissions
Twitter: @ColumbiaMBA

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 26 Mar 2012
Posts: 22
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Ask Columbia GSB Admissions [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Apr 2012, 21:36
Hi! I applied 1/4, and was notified 3/29 that my interview report was received. I understand that you admit applicants on a rolling basis, but I was wondering if you could give me a general idea of when my decision will be released. Also, are you still awarding merit scholarships at this point? Thank you for your time.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 29 Mar 2012
Posts: 6
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Ask Columbia GSB Admissions [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Apr 2012, 09:34
Hi,

I got rejected from columbia post and interview call. I have a 680 on my gmat, i really dont have a clue as to why i got rejected as my interview also went really good. I am very keen to re apply to columbia, but i dont want to retake my gmat as i have already taken it twice and i dnt want to take a risk by taking it the third time because in case it is below 680, it really is a big negative on my application.

I just want to get a feedback on the loose pieces of my application so that i can work on them, especially wether re taking the gmat is a big must.

Kindly advise.
Official Business School Representative
User avatar
Joined: 05 Oct 2011
Posts: 204
Followers: 26

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 0

Re: Ask Columbia GSB Admissions [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 May 2012, 06:48
siddharth123 wrote:
Hi,

I got rejected from columbia post and interview call. I have a 680 on my gmat, i really dont have a clue as to why i got rejected as my interview also went really good. I am very keen to re apply to columbia, but i dont want to retake my gmat as i have already taken it twice and i dnt want to take a risk by taking it the third time because in case it is below 680, it really is a big negative on my application.

I just want to get a feedback on the loose pieces of my application so that i can work on them, especially wether re taking the gmat is a big must.

Kindly advise.


Hi siddharth123

Thank you for your question. We are not offering individual feedback on denied applications.We understand the enormous commitment of time and energy that applying to business school represents, but we simply do not have the resources to provide feedback to each denied applicant. Please visit our website at http://www4.gsb.columbia.edu/mba/learnmore/faqs#5 for a self assessment of your application. Please keep in mind the application is holistic there is never a single factor for admission or denial. The GMAT is just one aspect of the application.

If you decide to reapply you can learn more about the reapplication process here http://www4.gsb.columbia.edu/mba/learnm ... ow/reapply.

I hope this helps.
_________________

Kelsey Kephart
Assistant Director
MBA Admissions
Twitter: @ColumbiaMBA

Official Business School Representative
User avatar
Joined: 05 Oct 2011
Posts: 204
Followers: 26

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 0

Re: Ask Columbia GSB Admissions [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 May 2012, 06:54
evigirl wrote:
Hi! I applied 1/4, and was notified 3/29 that my interview report was received. I understand that you admit applicants on a rolling basis, but I was wondering if you could give me a general idea of when my decision will be released. Also, are you still awarding merit scholarships at this point? Thank you for your time.


Hi evigirl,

We do not have a specific timeline after the interview is complete. If your application has been under review beyond 12 weeks please contact our office. Please keep in mind that the timeline for a final decision can be extended because of interviews.

We are still awarding some merit based fellowships.

Best of luck,
_________________

Kelsey Kephart
Assistant Director
MBA Admissions
Twitter: @ColumbiaMBA

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 22 Mar 2012
Posts: 87
Location: United States (NY)
Concentration: General Management, Marketing
GMAT 1: Q V
GPA: 3.1
WE: Accounting (Other)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 27

Re: Ask Columbia GSB Admissions [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 May 2012, 12:59
Hi!

I will be applying to CBS for the January 2013 class and have a question about scholarships. I read on CBS's website that fellowships are available to the Fall applicants only; I'm wondering if there are other types of scholarships for January applicants. Does CBS give out full scholarships?

Thanks!
Official Business School Representative
User avatar
Joined: 05 Oct 2011
Posts: 204
Followers: 26

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 0

Re: Ask Columbia GSB Admissions [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 May 2012, 11:43
KAS1 wrote:
Hi!

I will be applying to CBS for the January 2013 class and have a question about scholarships. I read on CBS's website that fellowships are available to the Fall applicants only; I'm wondering if there are other types of scholarships for January applicants. Does CBS give out full scholarships?

Thanks!


Hi KAS1,

Thank you for your question. There are some need based awards for our January applicants.

We do award full fellowships, but these are extremely competitive and awarded to a select few admitted students. These fellowships are awarded to students in our two-year program.

Best of luck,
_________________

Kelsey Kephart
Assistant Director
MBA Admissions
Twitter: @ColumbiaMBA

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 18 Nov 2011
Posts: 154
Schools: Johnson '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 21

Re: Ask Columbia GSB Admissions [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 May 2012, 14:18
Greetings ColumbiaMBA,

One of the primary reasons I am in pursuit of an MBA is to transition from IT to Marketing/Management (a classic "career-changer" move, if you will). I also have a strong GMAT verbal score but my GMAT quantitative score is not as strong.

Would the Admissions committee look favorably upon the decision to enroll in a quant-based marketing course at an accredited institution to a) assuage fears regarding the ability to handle grad-level quantitative work, and b) to demonstrate my interest towards marketing? Do you recommend that this summer class approach is looked upon more favorably than re-taking the GMAT to try and earn a slightly higher score?

Thanks
Official Business School Representative
User avatar
Joined: 05 Oct 2011
Posts: 204
Followers: 26

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 0

Re: Ask Columbia GSB Admissions [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 May 2012, 07:50
OjilEye wrote:
Greetings ColumbiaMBA,

One of the primary reasons I am in pursuit of an MBA is to transition from IT to Marketing/Management (a classic "career-changer" move, if you will). I also have a strong GMAT verbal score but my GMAT quantitative score is not as strong.

Would the Admissions committee look favorably upon the decision to enroll in a quant-based marketing course at an accredited institution to a) assuage fears regarding the ability to handle grad-level quantitative work, and b) to demonstrate my interest towards marketing? Do you recommend that this summer class approach is looked upon more favorably than re-taking the GMAT to try and earn a slightly higher score?

Thanks


Hi OjilEye,

Thank you for your question. We will take into consideration additional courses if you submit these as part of your application. Taking additional courses certainly isn't a requirement, but some applicants find these courses helpful. As far as retaking the GMAT vs. taking a course - the application process is holistic so there isn't a right or wrong approach. Keep in mind that we only consider your highest score for the GMAT, so if you decide to retake and do not score higher we will still consider your highest score.

Best of luck.

Regards,
_________________

Kelsey Kephart
Assistant Director
MBA Admissions
Twitter: @ColumbiaMBA

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 26 Jul 2010
Posts: 359
Location: European union
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 41

Re: Ask Columbia GSB Admissions [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 May 2012, 14:07
Hey :)

I would like to ask what does Columbia think about students who took overload in order to graduate early, like 1 semester earlier for purely financial reasons ? I am really considering this, I will save 1 semester of tuition and I will also be able to enter workforce and gain experience earlier. However, I would not like this to impact me negatively in the long term. So, does it make any difference ?
Official Business School Representative
User avatar
Joined: 05 Oct 2011
Posts: 204
Followers: 26

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 0

Re: Ask Columbia GSB Admissions [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 May 2012, 06:09
Ivan91 wrote:
Hey :)

I would like to ask what does Columbia think about students who took overload in order to graduate early, like 1 semester earlier for purely financial reasons ? I am really considering this, I will save 1 semester of tuition and I will also be able to enter workforce and gain experience earlier. However, I would not like this to impact me negatively in the long term. So, does it make any difference ?


Hi Ivan91,

Thank you for your question. Graduating early will not negatively impact your application. As long as you have completed your bachelor's degree you are welcome to apply.

Best of luck!
_________________

Kelsey Kephart
Assistant Director
MBA Admissions
Twitter: @ColumbiaMBA

Re: Ask Columbia GSB Admissions   [#permalink] 23 May 2012, 06:09

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  22    Next  [ 439 posts ] 

    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Experts publish their posts in the topic How Easy Is Columbia’s January-Start Admissions? ShellyLWatts 0 28 Apr 2016, 10:55
1 Will Early Decision Boost My Admissions Odds at Columbia GSB? ShellyLWatts 3 28 Apr 2016, 08:29
1 Columbia - Too Late for Rolling Admission? ValueInvestor 4 29 Mar 2015, 10:08
Experts publish their posts in the topic Still Time for Success at Columbia GSB! ShellyLWatts 0 24 Mar 2015, 08:19
1 Experts publish their posts in the topic Still Time for Success at Columbia GSB! ShellyLWatts 0 24 Mar 2015, 08:19
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Ask Columbia GSB Admissions

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: bagdbmba



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.