Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 14 Jul 2014, 05:13

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Ask Columbia GSB Admissions

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Official Business School Representative
User avatar
Joined: 05 Oct 2011
Posts: 158
Followers: 18

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

Re: Optional Essay [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2012, 11:33
qtrip wrote:
Hi Matthew

Thank you for your time here. I really appreciate your help.

I had a question about the Optional Essay. It goes:
An optional fourth essay will allow you to discuss any issues that do not fall within the purview of the required essays.

Can I use the optional essay to talk about certain interesting community involvement I have had, which I am unable to include in any of the other required essays? Or is the AdCom only interested in issues in this essay - such as low GMAT/GPA or inability to get a recommendation from a direct supervisor?

Many thanks,
q


Hi q,

Thank you for your question. It is best if the Optional Essay is not used as another essay, but to explain parts of the application that need clarification. While you can certainly add something that was not addressed like your community involvement, in general the Optional Essay is not used for this. If this is truly something that is a necessary part of the application I suggest finding a way to include this information in the required parts of the application.

Best of luck!
_________________

Matthew Moll
Associate Director
MBA Admissions
Twitter: @ColumbiaMBA

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Retired Moderator
avatar
Joined: 02 Feb 2009
Posts: 374
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V35
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V42
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 149 [0], given: 27

GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Ask Columbia GSB Admissions [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2012, 08:44
Dear Matthew,

I wanted to check how Columbia views reapplicants? Are there any metrics (eg: X% of applicants are reapplicants) that you can share.

Also, although I have significantly strengthened my application since last year (improvement in GMAT by 40 points, Promotion, more responsibilities etc.), my career goals as stated in the essays were too specific and of an 'atypical' field. I did visit Columbia during a recent trip to the US, and my interaction with students and faculty actually inspired me to do well on my GMAT, which I did.

However, I am a little perplexed around how my application from last year will be considered? For the purpose of full disclosure, I was denied without an interview.

The above may not seem too specific, but any advice for reapplicants, beyond whats already stated on the Columbia website, would be much, much appreciated.

Regards
_________________

http://unclearadmit.tumblr.com
Latest Blog Entry:
09-05-13 Its been too long ... Updates & the Tuck Loan

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 22 Jul 2012
Posts: 1
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Ask Columbia GSB Admissions [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2012, 07:28
Hi Matthew,

I have an inquiry about one of the requirements. Your instructions state that one of the recommenders must be a current supervisor. How strict is this requirement? The senior role I have right now combined with the internal company dynamics mean that I may not be able to ask my supervisor without some consequences on my position in the firm. It becomes more complicated given that it is still a long time before the admission dates.

Regards..
hellombs
Official Business School Representative
User avatar
Joined: 05 Oct 2011
Posts: 158
Followers: 18

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

Re: Ask Columbia GSB Admissions [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2012, 19:54
str1der wrote:
Dear Matthew,

I wanted to check how Columbia views reapplicants? Are there any metrics (eg: X% of applicants are reapplicants) that you can share.

Also, although I have significantly strengthened my application since last year (improvement in GMAT by 40 points, Promotion, more responsibilities etc.), my career goals as stated in the essays were too specific and of an 'atypical' field. I did visit Columbia during a recent trip to the US, and my interaction with students and faculty actually inspired me to do well on my GMAT, which I did.

However, I am a little perplexed around how my application from last year will be considered? For the purpose of full disclosure, I was denied without an interview.

The above may not seem too specific, but any advice for reapplicants, beyond whats already stated on the Columbia website, would be much, much appreciated.

Regards


Hi str1der,

Thank you for your question. Unfortunately I cannot give you specific feedback on your application; however keep in mind we accept reapplicants every year. In your new application you can certainly speak to your improved GMAT, your visit, and your progress at work, but how/if you do that is up to you. For reapplicants we take into consideration their last application in addition to their new application. I suggest being as specific as possible in your new application and take advantage of the optional essay if you feel you need to explain anything from your previous application. Also applying as early as possible.

Good luck!
_________________

Matthew Moll
Associate Director
MBA Admissions
Twitter: @ColumbiaMBA

Official Business School Representative
User avatar
Joined: 05 Oct 2011
Posts: 158
Followers: 18

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

Re: Ask Columbia GSB Admissions [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2012, 19:56
hellombs wrote:
Hi Matthew,

I have an inquiry about one of the requirements. Your instructions state that one of the recommenders must be a current supervisor. How strict is this requirement? The senior role I have right now combined with the internal company dynamics mean that I may not be able to ask my supervisor without some consequences on my position in the firm. It becomes more complicated given that it is still a long time before the admission dates.

Regards..
hellombs


Hi hellombs,

Thank you for your question. You can explain in the application why you are not using a direct supervisor. We understand that this isn't always possible. Please explain why you cannot use a direct supervisor and then choose another professional recommender.

Good luck!
_________________

Matthew Moll
Associate Director
MBA Admissions
Twitter: @ColumbiaMBA

Official Business School Representative
User avatar
Joined: 05 Oct 2011
Posts: 158
Followers: 18

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

Re: Ask Columbia GSB Admissions [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2012, 19:56
sdd996 wrote:
Matthew - thanks very much for the great responses!


You are welcome!
_________________

Matthew Moll
Associate Director
MBA Admissions
Twitter: @ColumbiaMBA

Official Business School Representative
User avatar
Joined: 05 Oct 2011
Posts: 158
Followers: 18

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

Re: Ask Columbia GSB Admissions [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2012, 20:03
maxjuice11 wrote:
I'm hoping I could get thoughts on my application profile and my chances at the schools listed below.

-GMAT: 670 (44Q, 38V)
-GPA: 4.0 at top 20 university (major in finance) - summa cum laude
-Job: Investment Mgt analyst at a premier bulge bracket U.S. investment bank

-Teaching Assistant in college for MBA level finance courses.
-Some degree of community service/philanthropy involvement
-Would go to business school to switch career path outside of investment management
-White male.

I know my GMAT is slightly low, but what are my chances at the following schools?

Columbia
Harvard
Stanford
Wharton
Northwestern
Yale
Duke
UCLA
UVA
USC

Thank you,
Jack

Posted from my mobile device Image



Hi Jack,

Thank you for your interest. Unfortunately I am not able to evaluate your chances for Columbia or speak to other schools. Keep in mind that the application process at Columbia is holistic and will take into consideration the entire application. I encourage you to learn more about Columbia at our website (the class profile is posted here http://www4.gsb.columbia.edu/mba/admiss ... assprofile) as well as visit campus if you have the chance.

Best of luck!
_________________

Matthew Moll
Associate Director
MBA Admissions
Twitter: @ColumbiaMBA

Retired Moderator
avatar
Joined: 02 Feb 2009
Posts: 374
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V35
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V42
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 149 [0], given: 27

GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Ask Columbia GSB Admissions [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2012, 20:20
Matthew - thanks for the honest revert. One more thing - it seems the definition posted on the Columbia website is a bit ambiguous. I applied in Sep last year - I am assuming I am a reapplicant if I choose to apply at any time this application season? Or is that dependent on the exact number of months since you last submitted an application i.e. you could be a reapplicant in Sep but maybe not in Feb.

Hence, I only have the option of submitting the one, two part, essay alongwith one new LOR. Is that correct? Or can I submit an optional essay as well?

Regards

ColumbiaMBA wrote:
str1der wrote:
Dear Matthew,

I wanted to check how Columbia views reapplicants? Are there any metrics (eg: X% of applicants are reapplicants) that you can share.

Also, although I have significantly strengthened my application since last year (improvement in GMAT by 40 points, Promotion, more responsibilities etc.), my career goals as stated in the essays were too specific and of an 'atypical' field. I did visit Columbia during a recent trip to the US, and my interaction with students and faculty actually inspired me to do well on my GMAT, which I did.

However, I am a little perplexed around how my application from last year will be considered? For the purpose of full disclosure, I was denied without an interview.

The above may not seem too specific, but any advice for reapplicants, beyond whats already stated on the Columbia website, would be much, much appreciated.

Regards


Hi str1der,

Thank you for your question. Unfortunately I cannot give you specific feedback on your application; however keep in mind we accept reapplicants every year. In your new application you can certainly speak to your improved GMAT, your visit, and your progress at work, but how/if you do that is up to you. For reapplicants we take into consideration their last application in addition to their new application. I suggest being as specific as possible in your new application and take advantage of the optional essay if you feel you need to explain anything from your previous application. Also applying as early as possible.

Good luck!

_________________

http://unclearadmit.tumblr.com
Latest Blog Entry:
09-05-13 Its been too long ... Updates & the Tuck Loan

Official Business School Representative
User avatar
Joined: 05 Oct 2011
Posts: 158
Followers: 18

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

Re: Ask Columbia GSB Admissions [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2012, 13:52
str1der wrote:
Matthew - thanks for the honest revert. One more thing - it seems the definition posted on the Columbia website is a bit ambiguous. I applied in Sep last year - I am assuming I am a reapplicant if I choose to apply at any time this application season? Or is that dependent on the exact number of months since you last submitted an application i.e. you could be a reapplicant in Sep but maybe not in Feb.

Hence, I only have the option of submitting the one, two part, essay alongwith one new LOR. Is that correct? Or can I submit an optional essay as well?

Regards

ColumbiaMBA wrote:
str1der wrote:
Dear Matthew,

I wanted to check how Columbia views reapplicants? Are there any metrics (eg: X% of applicants are reapplicants) that you can share.

Also, although I have significantly strengthened my application since last year (improvement in GMAT by 40 points, Promotion, more responsibilities etc.), my career goals as stated in the essays were too specific and of an 'atypical' field. I did visit Columbia during a recent trip to the US, and my interaction with students and faculty actually inspired me to do well on my GMAT, which I did.

However, I am a little perplexed around how my application from last year will be considered? For the purpose of full disclosure, I was denied without an interview.

The above may not seem too specific, but any advice for reapplicants, beyond whats already stated on the Columbia website, would be much, much appreciated.

Regards


Hi str1der,

Thank you for your question. Unfortunately I cannot give you specific feedback on your application; however keep in mind we accept reapplicants every year. In your new application you can certainly speak to your improved GMAT, your visit, and your progress at work, but how/if you do that is up to you. For reapplicants we take into consideration their last application in addition to their new application. I suggest being as specific as possible in your new application and take advantage of the optional essay if you feel you need to explain anything from your previous application. Also applying as early as possible.

Good luck!


Hi str1der - It is not the exact date you applied but rather the term of entry that decides if you are a reapplicant. If for example you applied for August 2012 you would be considered a reapplicant if you apply for January 2013 or August 2013, in this example. if you apply after the August 2013 start date you would complete an entirely new application.

I hope this helps. Best of luck.
_________________

Matthew Moll
Associate Director
MBA Admissions
Twitter: @ColumbiaMBA

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 08 Mar 2012
Posts: 55
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Ask Columbia GSB Admissions [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2012, 14:34
Hi Columbia Team,

I will be applying for 2013 Sept batch and hope to send my best application.

I would like to know if someone with strong undergrad and a tough post grad clubbed with unique experiences of investment banking and micro-finance/social impact funding but an average GMAT score of say 650 will be looked down upon?

Does coming from an over represented pool of Indians but no engineering and IT background help? I have a BA in Economics from one of India's oldest economics colleges and a masters from a top British university along with the work experience mentioned above. I have significant experience in front end M&A and private equity advisory and managerial experience as a principal manager of strategy and new initiatives with a big Indian micro-finance firm.

I think Columbia is a good fit for me with its recent focus on social entrepreneurship (my long term future goal). Hoping to get your views on my profile and the hurdles i might face.'

Thank you for taking the time out to reply. Appreciate it.

Regards
sarveshmehta
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 29 Mar 2012
Posts: 6
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Ask Columbia GSB Admissions [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2012, 20:58
Hello Team,

The requirement for a reapplicant case with respect to the recommendation letters, is to get one from a immediate supervisor. I was wondering if i can goahead and get one from a person who has contributed to an NGO which i have set up, or a board member of my NGO who is a CFO of a Microfinance company, with whom i have been working very closely.

Will either of them qualify to be a recommender in case of a reapplicant.

Kindly advise.
Official Business School Representative
User avatar
Joined: 05 Oct 2011
Posts: 158
Followers: 18

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

Re: Ask Columbia GSB Admissions [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2012, 06:50
sarveshmehta wrote:
Hi Columbia Team,

I will be applying for 2013 Sept batch and hope to send my best application.

I would like to know if someone with strong undergrad and a tough post grad clubbed with unique experiences of investment banking and micro-finance/social impact funding but an average GMAT score of say 650 will be looked down upon?

Does coming from an over represented pool of Indians but no engineering and IT background help? I have a BA in Economics from one of India's oldest economics colleges and a masters from a top British university along with the work experience mentioned above. I have significant experience in front end M&A and private equity advisory and managerial experience as a principal manager of strategy and new initiatives with a big Indian micro-finance firm.

I think Columbia is a good fit for me with its recent focus on social entrepreneurship (my long term future goal). Hoping to get your views on my profile and the hurdles i might face.'

Thank you for taking the time out to reply. Appreciate it.

Regards
sarveshmehta


Hi sarveshmehta,

Thank you for your question. Unfortunately I cannot give you direct feedback on your background and chances of being admitted. Please keep in mind however that the GMAT is just one aspect of a holistic application process. Additionally, the middle 80 percent of admitted students scored between a 680-760; however we do not have a minimum requirement for the GMAT.

Best of luck!
_________________

Matthew Moll
Associate Director
MBA Admissions
Twitter: @ColumbiaMBA

Official Business School Representative
User avatar
Joined: 05 Oct 2011
Posts: 158
Followers: 18

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

Re: Ask Columbia GSB Admissions [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2012, 06:54
siddharth123 wrote:
Hello Team,

The requirement for a reapplicant case with respect to the recommendation letters, is to get one from a immediate supervisor. I was wondering if i can goahead and get one from a person who has contributed to an NGO which i have set up, or a board member of my NGO who is a CFO of a Microfinance company, with whom i have been working very closely.

Will either of them qualify to be a recommender in case of a reapplicant.

Kindly advise.


Hi siddharth123,

Thank you for your question. We prefer that reapplicants submit a new professional recommendation. If you are not using current employers as recommenders please explain this in the recommender section of the application and then you may choose a new recommender. It is up to you who you choose to be your recommender, but be sure to select someone who will be able to speak to your professional experience and potential.

Best of luck,
_________________

Matthew Moll
Associate Director
MBA Admissions
Twitter: @ColumbiaMBA

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 25 Feb 2012
Posts: 63
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 8

Re: Ask Columbia GSB Admissions [#permalink] New post 11 Aug 2012, 07:43
Hello Matthew

Thank you very much for participating on this forum. Can you please tell me what should the expected word-limit for the Optional Essay?

Many thanks
q
Official Business School Representative
User avatar
Joined: 05 Oct 2011
Posts: 158
Followers: 18

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

Re: Ask Columbia GSB Admissions [#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2012, 10:03
qtrip wrote:
Hello Matthew

Thank you very much for participating on this forum. Can you please tell me what should the expected word-limit for the Optional Essay?

Many thanks
q


Hi qtrip,

Thank you for your question. The Optional Essay does not have a word limit; however I suggest being as brief as possible. Also keep in mind that the Optional Essay should be used to explain parts of the application that may need further clarification.

Best of luck!
_________________

Matthew Moll
Associate Director
MBA Admissions
Twitter: @ColumbiaMBA

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 03 Mar 2012
Posts: 7
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Reviews Badge
Re: Ask Columbia GSB Admissions [#permalink] New post 15 Aug 2012, 09:16
Hi Matthew,
Thank you for your participation on this forum! Has the admissions committee begun reviewing early decision applications? If not, when will the review process begin?
Sincerely,
Rob
Official Business School Representative
User avatar
Joined: 05 Oct 2011
Posts: 158
Followers: 18

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

Re: Ask Columbia GSB Admissions [#permalink] New post 15 Aug 2012, 10:10
RDRamirez wrote:
Hi Matthew,
Thank you for your participation on this forum! Has the admissions committee begun reviewing early decision applications? If not, when will the review process begin?
Sincerely,
Rob


Hi Rob,

Thank you for your question. We are reviewing applications for Early Decision and the January Program.

Best of luck!
_________________

Matthew Moll
Associate Director
MBA Admissions
Twitter: @ColumbiaMBA

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 29 Feb 2012
Posts: 2
Schools: CBS '15 (WL)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Ask Columbia GSB Admissions [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2012, 04:36
Hi, if I apply during regular decision in end Oct, when will the interview be scheduled (assuming an invitation to interview is issued) and around when will I be notified about the admission decision? Thanks!
Official Business School Representative
User avatar
Joined: 05 Oct 2011
Posts: 158
Followers: 18

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

Re: Ask Columbia GSB Admissions [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2012, 07:41
silentemotion4 wrote:
Hi, if I apply during regular decision in end Oct, when will the interview be scheduled (assuming an invitation to interview is issued) and around when will I be notified about the admission decision? Thanks!


Hi silentemotion4,

We will most likely begin reviewing applications for Regular Decision in early December. You can expect to receive an invitation to interview or a decision between 8 and 12 weeks from when your application goes under review.

Best of luck!
_________________

Matthew Moll
Associate Director
MBA Admissions
Twitter: @ColumbiaMBA

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 03 Jun 2012
Posts: 12
Location: United States
Schools: Columbia - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: Q V
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Ask Columbia GSB Admissions [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2012, 08:39
Dear Matthew

This is about the optional essay and your answer to qtrip that the Optional Essay should be used to explain parts of the application that may need further clarification.

However, do you think it is fine to use optional essay to provide additional information. I want to mention that my wife and I are both applying to CBS and was thinking of using optional essay for the same.

Please suggest.

Thanks
R
Re: Ask Columbia GSB Admissions   [#permalink] 05 Sep 2012, 08:39
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
16 Experts publish their posts in the topic Ask Columbia GSB Admissions ColumbiaMBA 336 10 Oct 2011, 11:01
4 Ask University of British Columbia Sauder School Admissions UBCMBA 43 05 Jun 2012, 21:02
Ask Columbia GSB Admissions ColumbiaMBA 36 10 Oct 2011, 11:01
Columbia GSB GMATcram 0 25 Dec 2006, 02:32
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Ask Columbia GSB Admissions

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  6   7   8   9   10   11   12  ...  17    Next  [ 337 posts ] 



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.