Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 00:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Ask Columbia GSB Admissions

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 25 Oct 2012
Posts: 1
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Ask Columbia GSB Admissions [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2012, 13:07
Hi Matt,

I applied RD for CBS and wanted to get your thoughts on leaving a current job for another job while going through the decision process. Specifically I wanted to know if it is frowned upon? whether to disclose it to the school since an application has been submitted? mentioning it in an interview if asked?

Any thoughts would be great.

Thanks!
Official Business School Representative
User avatar
Joined: 05 Oct 2011
Posts: 166
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

Re: Ask Columbia GSB Admissions [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2012, 06:48
JD231 wrote:
Hi Matt,

I applied RD for CBS and wanted to get your thoughts on leaving a current job for another job while going through the decision process. Specifically I wanted to know if it is frowned upon? whether to disclose it to the school since an application has been submitted? mentioning it in an interview if asked?

Any thoughts would be great.

Thanks!


Hi JD231,

Thank you for your question. If you plan to leave your position while you are applying to the MBA program please be sure to explain this as you will be at your new company for a short period before starting the MBA program. You want to explain as much as possible about the move.

Best of luck,
_________________

Matthew Moll
Associate Director
MBA Admissions
Twitter: @ColumbiaMBA

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 30 Aug 2010
Posts: 65
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Ask Columbia GSB Admissions [#permalink] New post 07 Nov 2012, 15:26
Hi CBS,

I was wondering, given that recruitment happens so quickly after starting on campus, what are the top few categories that recruiters use to decide who to hire?

Thanks!
Official Business School Representative
User avatar
Joined: 05 Oct 2011
Posts: 166
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

Re: Ask Columbia GSB Admissions [#permalink] New post 09 Nov 2012, 08:53
QiuYidio wrote:
Hi CBS,

I was wondering, given that recruitment happens so quickly after starting on campus, what are the top few categories that recruiters use to decide who to hire?

Thanks!


Hi QiuYidio,

Thank you for your question. Recruiting will vary by industry and by company. If you think about recruiting in the context of admissions, applicants should understand what the recruiting process is like for the industry they wish to enter as this will help them prepare for the next steps needed to advance in their careers.

Best of luck,
_________________

Matthew Moll
Associate Director
MBA Admissions
Twitter: @ColumbiaMBA

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 25 Oct 2012
Posts: 4
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Ask Columbia GSB Admissions [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2012, 07:35
Hi,

I need advice my chances of getting into Columbia and scope post MBA in healthcare .

My background is:
- I am a doctor with 3 years of clinical experience and 3 years of healthcare corporate experience as consultant.
- GMAT score 660 (Q49; V31), AWA 5, IR 6
- Looking for avenues in General Management, Strategic Management, and Entrepreneurship.

Many Thanks.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 11 Dec 2012
Posts: 5
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Ask Columbia GSB Admissions [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2012, 03:24
Hi Matthew,

I am a university student from Canada and my school uses a 4.33 GPA scale.
My understanding is each school has its own specific scales. I am wondering what is the proper way of converting my GPA to one that is comparable and appropriate for Columbia? Is there a guideline somewhere?


Thank you.
Official Business School Representative
User avatar
Joined: 05 Oct 2011
Posts: 166
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

Re: Ask Columbia GSB Admissions [#permalink] New post 12 Dec 2012, 14:35
njk007 wrote:
Hi,

I need advice my chances of getting into Columbia and scope post MBA in healthcare .

My background is:
- I am a doctor with 3 years of clinical experience and 3 years of healthcare corporate experience as consultant.
- GMAT score 660 (Q49; V31), AWA 5, IR 6
- Looking for avenues in General Management, Strategic Management, and Entrepreneurship.

Many Thanks.


Hi njk007,

Thank you for your question and your interest in Columbia Business School! Unfortunately we cannot give you feedback on your chances. Please visit our website at http://www4.gsb.columbia.edu/mba/admiss ... assprofile for our class profile.

Best of luck!
_________________

Matthew Moll
Associate Director
MBA Admissions
Twitter: @ColumbiaMBA

Official Business School Representative
User avatar
Joined: 05 Oct 2011
Posts: 166
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

Re: Ask Columbia GSB Admissions [#permalink] New post 12 Dec 2012, 14:36
jessmsz wrote:
Hi Matthew,

I am a university student from Canada and my school uses a 4.33 GPA scale.
My understanding is each school has its own specific scales. I am wondering what is the proper way of converting my GPA to one that is comparable and appropriate for Columbia? Is there a guideline somewhere?


Thank you.


Hi jessmsz,

Thank you for your question. You do not need to convert your grades to apply to Columbia Business School.

Best of luck!
_________________

Matthew Moll
Associate Director
MBA Admissions
Twitter: @ColumbiaMBA

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 11 Dec 2012
Posts: 5
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Ask Columbia GSB Admissions [#permalink] New post 14 Dec 2012, 10:55
Hi Matthew,

Thank you for the reply. I am wondering, then, is there a GPA minimum or standard that's applicable to the 4.33 scale? I understand there has been an average of 3.5/4.0, but I'm not sure how that translates into the 4.33 system.


Thank you.
Official Business School Representative
User avatar
Joined: 05 Oct 2011
Posts: 166
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

Re: Ask Columbia GSB Admissions [#permalink] New post 14 Dec 2012, 17:05
jessmsz wrote:
Hi Matthew,

Thank you for the reply. I am wondering, then, is there a GPA minimum or standard that's applicable to the 4.33 scale? I understand there has been an average of 3.5/4.0, but I'm not sure how that translates into the 4.33 system.


Thank you.


Hi jessmsz

Thank you for following up! We do not have a minimum GPA requirement to apply to business school. This is true for any any scale. The GPA is just one aspect of the holistic application process and it will be considered with the entire application.

Best of luck!
_________________

Matthew Moll
Associate Director
MBA Admissions
Twitter: @ColumbiaMBA

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 08 Jan 2013
Posts: 3
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 16

Re: Ask Columbia GSB Admissions [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2013, 13:45
Hi Matthew,

Based on current year or perhaps even former years, is there a ballpark of how much of the class size is already filled for September 2013 matriculation by mid-January?

Any input would be much appreciated. I could then decide to apply for either Sep. 13 or Jan 14.

Thanks
Official Business School Representative
User avatar
Joined: 05 Oct 2011
Posts: 166
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

Re: Ask Columbia GSB Admissions [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2013, 10:20
classof2k15 wrote:
Hi Matthew,

Based on current year or perhaps even former years, is there a ballpark of how much of the class size is already filled for September 2013 matriculation by mid-January?

Any input would be much appreciated. I could then decide to apply for either Sep. 13 or Jan 14.

Thanks


Thank you for your question classof2k15. We are not able to publish these stats, but because we have rolling admissions I encourage you to apply as early as possible.

Best of luck,
_________________

Matthew Moll
Associate Director
MBA Admissions
Twitter: @ColumbiaMBA

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 07 Feb 2013
Posts: 1
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Ask Columbia GSB Admissions [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2013, 17:57
My GPA is 3.9 and I would like to do my MBA after my Phd (computer science). I expect to graduate this Fall. I am planning to take my GMAT this summer. I am 29 years old and I plan to apply for Fall 2014. Would my profile be a fit to Columbia?
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 26 Dec 2012
Posts: 16
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V29
GMAT 2: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.6
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 1

Re: Ask Columbia GSB Admissions [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2013, 22:14
Hi Matthew,

I am very interested in applying/attending Columbia business school in the near future. I applied for both UG and Grad school, got admitted both times, but declined for other universities. I think this time around Columbia is my #1 choice, I'm a little nervous that my track record may be looked down upon, and hurt my application chances. Is this something I should address in my application? Will this be something that the admissions team may look down upon?

Thanks,
Official Business School Representative
User avatar
Joined: 05 Oct 2011
Posts: 166
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

Re: Ask Columbia GSB Admissions [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2013, 06:01
gkrk123 wrote:
My GPA is 3.9 and I would like to do my MBA after my Phd (computer science). I expect to graduate this Fall. I am planning to take my GMAT this summer. I am 29 years old and I plan to apply for Fall 2014. Would my profile be a fit to Columbia?


Hi gkrk123,

Thank you for your interest in Columbia Business School. Unfortunately I would not be able to give you an assessment of your profile. I encourage you to visit our website at http://ow.ly/hxzIL for our class profile. This will give you a sense of our student body.

Best of luck!
_________________

Matthew Moll
Associate Director
MBA Admissions
Twitter: @ColumbiaMBA

Official Business School Representative
User avatar
Joined: 05 Oct 2011
Posts: 166
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

Re: Ask Columbia GSB Admissions [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2013, 06:04
krad890 wrote:
Hi Matthew,

I am very interested in applying/attending Columbia business school in the near future. I applied for both UG and Grad school, got admitted both times, but declined for other universities. I think this time around Columbia is my #1 choice, I'm a little nervous that my track record may be looked down upon, and hurt my application chances. Is this something I should address in my application? Will this be something that the admissions team may look down upon?

Thanks,


Hi krad890,

Thank you for your question. If you applied to Columbia in the past, and declined the offer this, will not impact your application. We will review your application as we do the rest of the pool. If you feel Columbia Business School is the right fit for you, I encourage you to consider applying.

Best of luck going forward.
_________________

Matthew Moll
Associate Director
MBA Admissions
Twitter: @ColumbiaMBA

Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 24 Nov 2012
Posts: 42
Location: Russian Federation
Concentration: Economics, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.76
WE: Analyst (Other)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 11

Re: Ask Columbia GSB Admissions [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2013, 22:37
Hi Matthew,

Could you please advise if there are any plans to introduce loan programmes for international students withous a US co-signer?

Thanks!
Official Business School Representative
User avatar
Joined: 05 Oct 2011
Posts: 166
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

Re: Ask Columbia GSB Admissions [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2013, 07:26
lennoxRU wrote:
Hi Matthew,

Could you please advise if there are any plans to introduce loan programmes for international students withous a US co-signer?

Thanks!


Hi lennoxRU,

Thank you for your question. Unfortunately we do not have loan options for a international students without a US co-signer. We do offer need based scholarships and both domestic and international students are eligible.

Best of luck,
_________________

Matthew Moll
Associate Director
MBA Admissions
Twitter: @ColumbiaMBA

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 28 May 2012
Posts: 130
Location: United States
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 710 Q43 V45
GMAT 2: 700 Q42 V42
GMAT 3: 760 Q48 V48
GPA: 3.51
WE: Marketing (Consulting)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 27

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Ask Columbia GSB Admissions [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2013, 14:47
Hi Matthew,

I'm curious if there are any available statistics or information on reapplicant success rates or numbers of reapplicants admitted in a given year. I was very dismayed to receive a rejection letter today post-interview but may be interested in reapplying for 2014 matriculation.

Thanks!
Official Business School Representative
User avatar
Joined: 05 Oct 2011
Posts: 166
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

Re: Ask Columbia GSB Admissions [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2013, 07:19
chains1910 wrote:
Hi Matthew,

I'm curious if there are any available statistics or information on reapplicant success rates or numbers of reapplicants admitted in a given year. I was very dismayed to receive a rejection letter today post-interview but may be interested in reapplying for 2014 matriculation.

Thanks!


Hi chains1910,

Thank you for your continued interest in Columbia Business School. I am sorry you did not receive the news you wanted. As far as the reapplication process, we do not have stats on the success rates of reapplicants; however we do admit reapplicants every year and being a reapplicant does not negatively impact your application.

Best of luck,
_________________

Matthew Moll
Associate Director
MBA Admissions
Twitter: @ColumbiaMBA

Re: Ask Columbia GSB Admissions   [#permalink] 07 Mar 2013, 07:19
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
16 Experts publish their posts in the topic Ask Columbia GSB Admissions ColumbiaMBA 353 10 Oct 2011, 11:01
4 Ask University of British Columbia Sauder School Admissions UBCMBA 43 05 Jun 2012, 21:02
Ask Columbia GSB Admissions ColumbiaMBA 36 10 Oct 2011, 11:01
Columbia GSB GMATcram 0 25 Dec 2006, 02:32
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Ask Columbia GSB Admissions

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14  ...  18    Next  [ 354 posts ] 



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.