Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 04:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Ask Columbia GSB Admissions

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Official Business School Representative
User avatar
Joined: 05 Oct 2011
Posts: 169
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

Re: Ask Columbia GSB Admissions [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2013, 12:38
Hi Matthew,
Could you please share your thoughts on my above post (highlighted for your convenience) apart from that we can mention about the same in Optional Essay as you've already mentioned earlier...?

Much appreciate your reply.[/quote]

It looks like my earlier response was not posted. My apologies. We do not need any further information to certify your degree was taught in English. Please mention this in the Optional Essay and provide your English transcripts.

Take care,
_________________

Matthew Moll
Associate Director
MBA Admissions
Twitter: @ColumbiaMBA

Official Business School Representative
User avatar
Joined: 05 Oct 2011
Posts: 169
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

Re: Ask Columbia GSB Admissions [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2013, 12:48
rocket1741 wrote:
Dear Matthew,

I am trying to find the tution costs for the Jterm, but can't seem to find anything on the website. Can you please share the number? I suspect that the 2nd year amount will be similar to the 2 year program, but the 1st year amount will be lower.

Thanks

Posted from my mobile device Image

Hi rocket1741,

Thank you for your question. The tuition is the same for both programs as you are taking equal number of credits. The cost will be lower in terms of estimated living expenses as the program is shorter. You can find the estimated budget here http://www4.gsb.columbia.edu/mba/admiss ... ion/budget.

Best of luck,
_________________

Matthew Moll
Associate Director
MBA Admissions
Twitter: @ColumbiaMBA

Official Business School Representative
User avatar
Joined: 05 Oct 2011
Posts: 169
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

Re: Ask Columbia GSB Admissions [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2013, 12:49
magsj73 wrote:
Hi Matthew,

I am planning to apply ED to Columbia in the fall, and I recently started an application online. I took both the GMAT and GRE, and I ended up doing significantly better on the GRE than on the GMAT. I sent both scores to Columbia at the time that I took each exam, but I noticed that my GMAT score has already been added to my application.

Should I only put the score I want to be considered on my application, or both scores? It seems to me that I cannot delete my GMAT score from my app, as it has been "verified". Will admissions consider both scores, or just my highest score?

Any advice on this matter would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your help.


Hi magsj73,

Thank you for your e-mail. We will consider the highest scores, so feel free to submit both.

Best of luck!
_________________

Matthew Moll
Associate Director
MBA Admissions
Twitter: @ColumbiaMBA

Current Student
avatar
Joined: 06 Feb 2013
Posts: 59
Location: United States
Concentration: International Business, Strategy
GMAT 1: Q V
GMAT 2: Q V
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 7

Re: Ask Columbia GSB Admissions [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2013, 09:23
Hey Matthew,

I signed up to see the school present on MBA Tour. Do you guys do one-on-ones with students over there? Or are you mostly there to present and answer questions later? Would love the opportunity to speak with you one on one!
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 16 Jul 2013
Posts: 7
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Ask Columbia GSB Admissions [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2013, 10:42
Does Columbia have a scorecard to rank applicants like Stanford?
Official Business School Representative
User avatar
Joined: 05 Oct 2011
Posts: 169
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

Re: Ask Columbia GSB Admissions [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2013, 05:10
ricecake wrote:
Hey Matthew,

I signed up to see the school present on MBA Tour. Do you guys do one-on-ones with students over there? Or are you mostly there to present and answer questions later? Would love the opportunity to speak with you one on one!


Thank you for your question! It depends on the timing. I encourage you to reach out to the officer who will be presenting in your city to see what time availability they have. You will be able to ask questions at the fairs, so there is a chance to get your questions answered.

Best,
_________________

Matthew Moll
Associate Director
MBA Admissions
Twitter: @ColumbiaMBA

Official Business School Representative
User avatar
Joined: 05 Oct 2011
Posts: 169
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

Re: Ask Columbia GSB Admissions [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2013, 05:28
MaxReilly wrote:
Does Columbia have a scorecard to rank applicants like Stanford?



Hi MaxReilly,

Thank you for your question. We review applications holistically, so we consider all aspects of the application during the process. Additionally, there isn't a specific weight/metric put on any part of the application because of our holistic process.

Best of luck on your application!
_________________

Matthew Moll
Associate Director
MBA Admissions
Twitter: @ColumbiaMBA

Current Student
avatar
Joined: 04 Mar 2013
Posts: 144
Location: United States
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 640 Q45 V34
GMAT 2: 680 Q45 V38
GPA: 3.8
WE: Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 64

Re: Ask Columbia GSB Admissions [#permalink] New post 18 Jul 2013, 02:56
Dear Matthew,

I have two questions:

1) On one of the essays, can we go 5-6% over the word limit and not get penalized?

2) What's the time frame for the J-term applicants? When can they hear back after submitting an application?

Thanks
Official Business School Representative
User avatar
Joined: 05 Oct 2011
Posts: 169
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

Re: Ask Columbia GSB Admissions [#permalink] New post 18 Jul 2013, 13:05
rocket1741 wrote:
Dear Matthew,

I have two questions:

1) On one of the essays, can we go 5-6% over the word limit and not get penalized?

2) What's the time frame for the J-term applicants? When can they hear back after submitting an application?

Thanks


Hi rocket1741,

Thank you for posting!

1.) The word limits are guidelines, so you can go over, but please do your best to stay as close to them as possible.

2.) Our goal is either to invite for an interview or deny applicants within six weeks of a completed application being received by the admissions office. If you are invited to interview, our goal for interviewed applicants is to render a final decision within two weeks of the interview report being completed.

I hope this helps!
_________________

Matthew Moll
Associate Director
MBA Admissions
Twitter: @ColumbiaMBA

Current Student
avatar
Joined: 04 Mar 2013
Posts: 144
Location: United States
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 640 Q45 V34
GMAT 2: 680 Q45 V38
GPA: 3.8
WE: Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 64

Re: Ask Columbia GSB Admissions [#permalink] New post 18 Jul 2013, 17:11
Thank you for your responses. One last question: when does the orientation start for the jterm entry (class of 15)?

Thank you

Posted from my mobile device Image
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 15 Mar 2013
Posts: 66
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 25

Re: Ask Columbia GSB Admissions [#permalink] New post 31 Jul 2013, 19:57
Hi Matthew,

I am starting to work on my application and had a question regarding the section, "Columbia Business School Contact".

It asks, "Do you know any current students at Columbia Business School?" Is this asking if we have any friends or family that currently attend Columbia, or simply if we know someone there? What I am asking specifically is, I have reached out to a couple current students to learn about their experiences at Columbia and we have emailed back and forth a few times; Would I respond with a "yes" or a "no" to knowing these students?

Thank you for answering questions on this board.
Official Business School Representative
User avatar
Joined: 05 Oct 2011
Posts: 169
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

Re: Ask Columbia GSB Admissions [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2013, 06:43
Lobster wrote:
Hello,

I can totally understand why most of the MBA programs don't have a GPA requirement.
But have Columbia ever admitted anyone who had less than 2.3 UG GPA from a top school with strong resume and stellar GMAT score?




Thank you,
Vince


Hi Vince,

Thank you for your e-mail. Unfortunately I cannot give you direct feedback on your application, but the review process is holistic. Your GPA is just one aspect of the application and at this point something out of your control. If you know Columbia is a school you would like to attend I encourage you to do your best on those aspects of the application that are within your control (essays, GMAT, etc) and also use the Optional Essay to explain any additional information including your academics if you feel it is necessary. Students with GPAs outside our middle 80 percent (3.1–3.8) have been admitted in the past.

Best of luck!
_________________

Matthew Moll
Associate Director
MBA Admissions
Twitter: @ColumbiaMBA

Official Business School Representative
User avatar
Joined: 05 Oct 2011
Posts: 169
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

Re: Ask Columbia GSB Admissions [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2013, 06:46
Physics wrote:
Hi Matthew,

I am starting to work on my application and had a question regarding the section, "Columbia Business School Contact".

It asks, "Do you know any current students at Columbia Business School?" Is this asking if we have any friends or family that currently attend Columbia, or simply if we know someone there? What I am asking specifically is, I have reached out to a couple current students to learn about their experiences at Columbia and we have emailed back and forth a few times; Would I respond with a "yes" or a "no" to knowing these students?

Thank you for answering questions on this board.


Hi Physics,

Thank you for your post! You are welcome to include students you have contacted during the process in that application section.

I hope this helps!
_________________

Matthew Moll
Associate Director
MBA Admissions
Twitter: @ColumbiaMBA

Official Business School Representative
User avatar
Joined: 05 Oct 2011
Posts: 169
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

Re: Ask Columbia GSB Admissions [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2013, 06:49
rocket1741 wrote:
Thank you for your responses. One last question: when does the orientation start for the jterm entry (class of 15)?

Thank you

Posted from my mobile device Image


Hi rocket1741,

Orientation for the January Program will begin in early January.

Regards,
_________________

Matthew Moll
Associate Director
MBA Admissions
Twitter: @ColumbiaMBA

Retired Moderator
avatar
Joined: 06 Jun 2012
Posts: 82
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 9

Premium Member
Re: Ask Columbia GSB Admissions [#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2013, 13:11
Hi Matthew,

I have a quick question regarding the online application.
in the test scores section it asks that you:
"upload your unofficial GMAT score report"
My question is: do you need to upload the unofficial GMAT score report or can you upload the official score report.

Thanks
_________________

Try to make my way to San Jose.

??? class of 2016

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 10 Jul 2013
Posts: 3
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Ask Columbia GSB Admissions [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2013, 14:02
Hi Matthew,

Thanks for your help. I am planning to apply ED, and I am currently employed at a company that sponsors MBAs. I noticed that in the application, a note from the company indicating sponsorship is requested. My company makes decisions regarding sponsorship later on in the year, and while it is highly likely that I will be sponsored, sponsorship has not been formally offerred at this time. Given this, what do you suggest that I show on the application?

Thanks again.
Expert Post
BSchool Forum Moderator
avatar
Joined: 20 May 2013
Posts: 551
Location: United States
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 221 [0], given: 54

Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Ask Columbia GSB Admissions [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2013, 17:42
Expert's post
On the online form, when you have to pick the "job function", what should I put? I've done a variety of metrics based project management roles at investment banks.

For my old job, it'd be most similar to "strategic planning" or "consulting" I assume (although I'd feel more confident selecting consulting if it were "internal consulting") as we developed metrics and then made suggestions of them, but I'm not entirely sure what the terms represent in the context of the form.

Likewise, my new job is also project management based and is partially onshoring an internal business that was previously offshored (so would I put "Development", or is that only for people who work in corporate development as a group?) and partially metrics...so similar concerns/questions there.

Is there a reason "project management" isn't a function option, or should I select "Other" and manually fill this in?

Thanks
1 KUDOS received
Official Business School Representative
User avatar
Joined: 05 Oct 2011
Posts: 169
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 12 [1] , given: 0

Re: Ask Columbia GSB Admissions [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2013, 06:18
1
This post received
KUDOS
magsj73 wrote:
Hi Matthew,

Thanks for your help. I am planning to apply ED, and I am currently employed at a company that sponsors MBAs. I noticed that in the application, a note from the company indicating sponsorship is requested. My company makes decisions regarding sponsorship later on in the year, and while it is highly likely that I will be sponsored, sponsorship has not been formally offerred at this time. Given this, what do you suggest that I show on the application?

Thanks again.


Hi magsj73,

Thank you for reaching out to us on the GMATclub forum. Since you are not currently sponsored I suggest putting in the optional essay that you will likely be sponsored at a later date. Once you have your sponsorship letter please e-mail this to us and we can add the letter to you application.

Best of luck!
_________________

Matthew Moll
Associate Director
MBA Admissions
Twitter: @ColumbiaMBA

Official Business School Representative
User avatar
Joined: 05 Oct 2011
Posts: 169
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

Re: Ask Columbia GSB Admissions [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2013, 06:22
mgh234 wrote:
On the online form, when you have to pick the "job function", what should I put? I've done a variety of metrics based project management roles at investment banks.

For my old job, it'd be most similar to "strategic planning" or "consulting" I assume (although I'd feel more confident selecting consulting if it were "internal consulting") as we developed metrics and then made suggestions of them, but I'm not entirely sure what the terms represent in the context of the form.

Likewise, my new job is also project management based and is partially onshoring an internal business that was previously offshored (so would I put "Development", or is that only for people who work in corporate development as a group?) and partially metrics...so similar concerns/questions there.

Is there a reason "project management" isn't a function option, or should I select "Other" and manually fill this in?

Thanks


Hi mgh234,

Thank you for your question. If you do not feel the job functions listed apply to your work please feel free to select 'other' and write in what you think makes the most sense.

Thank you again for your question!
_________________

Matthew Moll
Associate Director
MBA Admissions
Twitter: @ColumbiaMBA

Expert Post
BSchool Forum Moderator
avatar
Joined: 20 May 2013
Posts: 551
Location: United States
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 221 [0], given: 54

Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Ask Columbia GSB Admissions [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2013, 08:01
Expert's post
Thanks, one last question. I started a new job in April so I have not had a bonus yet. I was told bonuses are generally in the $10-25k range but I have no idea what my bonus will actually be. What do I put in the "bonus" field on the form? I don't want to put Zero because it'll under represent my pay.

Posted from my mobile device Image
Re: Ask Columbia GSB Admissions   [#permalink] 26 Aug 2013, 08:01
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
16 Experts publish their posts in the topic Ask Columbia GSB Admissions ColumbiaMBA 359 10 Oct 2011, 11:01
4 Ask University of British Columbia Sauder School Admissions UBCMBA 43 05 Jun 2012, 21:02
Ask Columbia GSB Admissions ColumbiaMBA 36 10 Oct 2011, 11:01
Columbia GSB GMATcram 0 25 Dec 2006, 02:32
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Ask Columbia GSB Admissions

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18    Next  [ 360 posts ] 



cron

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.