Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Aug 2014, 19:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Ask Columbia GSB Admissions

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Official Business School Representative
Followers: 18

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

Re: Ask Columbia GSB Admissions [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2013, 06:31
deacoW wrote:
Good Morning,

I have a quick question regarding the application. Under the employment section, I'm in project management so have extensive experience supervising a number of people but technically do no have any one that reports to me. What to you recommend putting in the Direct/Indirect reports field?

Thanks!

Hi deacoW,

Thank you for your question. If you do not have currently have direct reports you should list this as zero. In the "duties/responsibilities" section you can explain further your experience as a supervisor.

Best of luck,

Matthew Moll
Associate Director
MBA Admissions
Twitter: @ColumbiaMBA

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Ask Columbia GSB Admissions [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2013, 09:56
Hello,

I was wondering whether those applying with GRE scores should submit their unofficial GRE score report where it says "Please upload your unofficial GMAT score report:" on the Test Scores section.

Thanks!

Adam

Re: Ask Columbia GSB Admissions [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2013, 13:38
TechTeam55 wrote:
Hello,

I was wondering whether those applying with GRE scores should submit their unofficial GRE score report where it says "Please upload your unofficial GMAT score report:" on the Test Scores section.

Thanks!

Adam

Hi TechTeam55,

Thank you for your question. You are welcome to e-mail this information to us and we will add it to your file.

Best of luck!

Regards,

Matthew Moll
Associate Director
MBA Admissions

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V32
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V36
GMAT 3: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.76
WE: Supply Chain Management (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Ask Columbia GSB Admissions [#permalink] New post 22 Sep 2013, 04:05
Hi Matthew,

I had a few questions regarding the application and it would be really helpful if you can answer them at the earliest as I plan to send in my application for the Early Decision Round:

1) Under the Employment section it mentions that : "Do NOT include bonuses, housing or relocation allowances, cost of living adjustments, tax exemptions, combat or hazardous duty pay, etc. as part of your salary. You may include these as a separate notation in the "Job Duties" section"

My company pays 15% on top of my base salary as part of the Pension plan which I will be receiving in bulk once I leave the company. I wanted to check where I should be mentioning this in the application as I don’t find any “Job Duties” section?

2) There is a space provided for Description in the Employment section for each employer. Just wanted to understand what kind of information we should be filling in here? As we will be covering most of the Job Description through our resume and essays, hence is there anything additional we should be filling in here? Is there any word limit?

3) I have successfully cleared CFA level 1 and 2, hence wanted to check where should I upload my CFA scores?

Regards,
Vivek

Re: Ask Columbia GSB Admissions [#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2013, 06:40
nextstopmba wrote:
Hi Matthew,

I had a few questions regarding the application and it would be really helpful if you can answer them at the earliest as I plan to send in my application for the Early Decision Round:

1) Under the Employment section it mentions that : "Do NOT include bonuses, housing or relocation allowances, cost of living adjustments, tax exemptions, combat or hazardous duty pay, etc. as part of your salary. You may include these as a separate notation in the "Job Duties" section"

My company pays 15% on top of my base salary as part of the Pension plan which I will be receiving in bulk once I leave the company. I wanted to check where I should be mentioning this in the application as I don’t find any “Job Duties” section?

2) There is a space provided for Description in the Employment section for each employer. Just wanted to understand what kind of information we should be filling in here? As we will be covering most of the Job Description through our resume and essays, hence is there anything additional we should be filling in here? Is there any word limit?

3) I have successfully cleared CFA level 1 and 2, hence wanted to check where should I upload my CFA scores?

Regards,
Vivek

Hi Vivek,

Thank you for your questions!

1.) When you "Add Employer" please include this information where we ask you to describe your position. This should not be listed as a bonus.

2.) There will be some overlap between this section and the resume, but it is also a place to include anything that does not necessarily fit on a resume like additional compensation that you mentioned earlier. I also encourage you to list any honors and awards here.

3.) You can mention that you passed the CFA level 1 and 2 in your resume and in the optional essay. It is not necessary to upload your scores.

Best of luck,

Matthew Moll
Associate Director
MBA Admissions

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Ask Columbia GSB Admissions [#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2013, 19:59
Hi,

I am an Indian student planning to apply to Columbia in the coming round. Columbia is my dream school and I am committed to apply in the early round and take the offer. However, I am worried about the fact that CBS does not offer non-US co-signer loans to international students. I did look up GSLC, but they also do not cover India.

I have a couple of questions for the forum:

1. What are the options that I have? Are there any organizations that will help?
2. CBS specifically asks for financing in its application. Does not having firm financing affect my chances of getting in?

Help will be really appreciated.

Thanks a ton,
R
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 90

Re: Ask Columbia GSB Admissions [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2013, 16:41
Hi,

I am applying RD because my recommender is not able to submit the LOR until next month due to work obligations. If I submitted my RD application before the ED deadline, would CBS think that I am "not committed" or not fully interested in their program? Would my application be viewed any differently than if I waited until November to submit? Columbia is without a doubt my first choice, but some things are out of my control, and I hope my early RD submission is not viewed negatively.

Re: Ask Columbia GSB Admissions [#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2013, 08:24
Jamon wrote:
Hi,

I am applying RD because my recommender is not able to submit the LOR until next month due to work obligations. If I submitted my RD application before the ED deadline, would CBS think that I am "not committed" or not fully interested in their program? Would my application be viewed any differently than if I waited until November to submit? Columbia is without a doubt my first choice, but some things are out of my control, and I hope my early RD submission is not viewed negatively.

Hi Jamon,

Thank you for your question. We understand that many of our applicants cannot apply Early Decision. This will not negatively impact your application. It is great to hear that Columbia is your first choice!

Regards,

Matthew Moll
Associate Director
MBA Admissions

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 24

Kudos [?]: 343 [0], given: 19

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Ask Columbia GSB Admissions [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2013, 20:21
Hi Matthew,

I am applying to CBS in ED.

While I am all set to submit my apps, I just wanted your inputs on the below.

My long term career goal is rural entrepreneurship. Just wondering if there are any specific avenues at Columbia that would allow us to explore on rural entrepreneurship. Lack of anything specific will not change my decision or interest in Columbia. I didn't find much info on this all through my research. Any info you would have on this is much appreciated.

Any help on these queries is much appreciated.

Push +1 kudos button please, if you like my post.

Re: Ask Columbia GSB Admissions [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2013, 07:02
GetThisDone wrote:
Hi Matthew,

I am applying to CBS in ED.

While I am all set to submit my apps, I just wanted your inputs on the below.

My long term career goal is rural entrepreneurship. Just wondering if there are any specific avenues at Columbia that would allow us to explore on rural entrepreneurship. Lack of anything specific will not change my decision or interest in Columbia. I didn't find much info on this all through my research. Any info you would have on this is much appreciated.

Any help on these queries is much appreciated.

Hi

Thank you for your question. I suggest looking at the projects on Columbia Pangea Advisors http://www.pangeaadvisors.org/projects.asp. This should give you an idea of some of the opportunities related to your interest.

Best of luck,

Matthew Moll
Associate Director
MBA Admissions

Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 13

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Ask Columbia GSB Admissions [#permalink] New post 08 Dec 2013, 10:27
Hi Matthew,

While talking to one of my recommenders on the phone recently, we found out that his recommendation form was quite different from the one my boss received. Questions were different and he didn't even have a rating table to answer to. We double-checked and made sure that we were talking about the same CBS (and not Chinese Business school or something ;) ). I was somewhat puzzled by this discrepancy, so I decided to ask you whether this is standard procedure -- such as having 2 recommenders submit two different sets of questions-- or rather due to some software fluctuation (he seems to be running an old operative system).

Any thoughts on this?
Thank you in advance

chris

Re: Ask Columbia GSB Admissions [#permalink] New post 10 Dec 2013, 06:01
fchris wrote:
Hi Matthew,

While talking to one of my recommenders on the phone recently, we found out that his recommendation form was quite different from the one my boss received. Questions were different and he didn't even have a rating table to answer to. We double-checked and made sure that we were talking about the same CBS (and not Chinese Business school or something ;) ). I was somewhat puzzled by this discrepancy, so I decided to ask you whether this is standard procedure -- such as having 2 recommenders submit two different sets of questions-- or rather due to some software fluctuation (he seems to be running an old operative system).

Any thoughts on this?
Thank you in advance

chris

Hi Chris,

Thank you for your question. Our recommendations have changed since the 2012 cycle. We no longer have the rating system and ask recommenders to consider the guidelines listed here http://www8.gsb.columbia.edu/programs-a ... irements#6.

Please let us know if you have any other questions!

Regards,

Matthew Moll
Associate Director
MBA Admissions

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 13

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Ask Columbia GSB Admissions [#permalink] New post 10 Dec 2013, 08:45
ColumbiaMBA wrote:

Hi Chris,

Thank you for your question. Our recommendations have changed since the 2012 cycle. We no longer have the rating system and ask recommenders to consider the guidelines listed here ....gsb.columbia.edu/

Please let us know if you have any other questions!

Regards,

useful hint, very appreciated. Apparently it was my boss who was looking at last year's recommendation link. After sending him a reminder link everything became clear.
Thank you again and best regards, chris
BSchool Forum Moderator
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 23

Premium Member
Re: Ask Columbia GSB Admissions [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2013, 17:21
Hi Matt,

If we have any updates to our application (like a recent promotion or reward), what is the best way to provide this update to the Admissions team?

Thanks!

Celer
Expert Post
BSchool Forum Moderator
Followers: 78

Kudos [?]: 486 [0], given: 102

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Ask Columbia GSB Admissions [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2014, 06:45
Expert's post
Hi Matthew,
On behalf of some applicants I've a question, in the 2014 discussions thread people have posted a query on how they can expect to get the status updates on their application? Is it mandatory that the update has to be through email or can be visible on their account home page without an email notification even?

It'd be really helpful if you please shed some light on this.

Much thanks!

UPDATED : e-GMAT SC Resources-Consolidated || ALL RC Resources-Consolidated || ALL SC Resources-Consolidated || UPDATED : AWA compilations-109 Analysis of Argument Essays || NEW !!! GMAC's IR Prep Tool

GMAT Club guide - OG 11-12-13 || Veritas Blog || Manhattan GMAT Blog

KUDOS please, if you like the post or if it helps :-)

Re: Ask Columbia GSB Admissions [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2014, 08:17
bagdbmba wrote:
Hi Matthew,
On behalf of some applicants I've a question, in the 2014 discussions thread people have posted a query on how they can expect to get the status updates on their application? Is it mandatory that the update has to be through email or can be visible on their account home page without an email notification even?

Much thanks!

Hi bagdbmba,

Thank you for your question. We update applicants about their status via e-mail and on their status page. They should receive an e-mail, but we have heard some e-mails going to junk/spam folders. This is rare and usually happens with work e-mails.

I hope this helps.

Matthew Moll
Associate Director
MBA Admissions

Expert Post
BSchool Forum Moderator
Followers: 78

Kudos [?]: 486 [0], given: 102

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Ask Columbia GSB Admissions [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2014, 08:50
Expert's post
ColumbiaMBA wrote:
bagdbmba wrote:
Hi Matthew,

Much thanks!

Hi bagdbmba,

Thank you for your question. We update applicants about their status via e-mail and on their status page. They should receive an e-mail, but we have heard some e-mails going to junk/spam folders. This is rare and usually happens with work e-mails.

I hope this helps.

Thank you Matthew for this clarification. I'd convey this to them in the concerned thread.

Just a quick question - the status update will take place in the home page of the applicant's account. Am I right?

UPDATED : e-GMAT SC Resources-Consolidated || ALL RC Resources-Consolidated || ALL SC Resources-Consolidated || UPDATED : AWA compilations-109 Analysis of Argument Essays || NEW !!! GMAC's IR Prep Tool

GMAT Club guide - OG 11-12-13 || Veritas Blog || Manhattan GMAT Blog

KUDOS please, if you like the post or if it helps :-)

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 2

Re: Ask Columbia GSB Admissions [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2014, 07:24
Dear Columbia MBA Team,

I had a quick question regarding the format of the Letter of recommendation.

Recommenders are expected to give input to the following questions:

The applicant’s performance.
Strengths and weaknesses of the applicant.
The applicant’s interpersonal skills.
The applicant’s written and spoken communication skills.
How does the applicant accept constructive criticism or handle conflicts?
How effective are the applicant’s interpersonal skills in the workplace?
The most important thing you would like the Admissions Committee to know.

I am not sure if I understood correctly how the format should be. Shall every question be answered separately or in form of a proper letter/essay?

Many thanks in advance

Re: Ask Columbia GSB Admissions [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2014, 15:02
bagdbmba wrote:
ColumbiaMBA wrote:
bagdbmba wrote:
Hi Matthew,

Much thanks!

Hi bagdbmba,

I hope this helps.

Thank you Matthew for this clarification. I'd convey this to them in the concerned thread.

Just a quick question - the status update will take place in the home page of the applicant's account. Am I right?

Hi bagdbmba, Applicants login here to check their status - https://apply.gsb.columbia.edu/status.

Best,

Matthew Moll
Associate Director
MBA Admissions

Re: Ask Columbia GSB Admissions [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2014, 15:05
sarchy wrote:
Dear Columbia MBA Team,

I had a quick question regarding the format of the Letter of recommendation.

Recommenders are expected to give input to the following questions:

The applicant’s performance.
Strengths and weaknesses of the applicant.
The applicant’s interpersonal skills.
The applicant’s written and spoken communication skills.
How does the applicant accept constructive criticism or handle conflicts?
How effective are the applicant’s interpersonal skills in the workplace?
The most important thing you would like the Admissions Committee to know.

I am not sure if I understood correctly how the format should be. Shall every question be answered separately or in form of a proper letter/essay?

Many thanks in advance

Hi sarchy,

Thank you for your question. These are guidelines we have for the recommenders, but they do not need to follow a specific format. We do not have requirements for how they should submit.

Best of luck!

Matthew Moll
Associate Director
MBA Admissions

Re: Ask Columbia GSB Admissions   [#permalink] 06 Feb 2014, 15:05