Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Aug 2014, 14:55

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Ask Columbia GSB Admissions

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Expert Post
BSchool Forum Moderator
Followers: 80

Kudos [?]: 492 [0], given: 102

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Ask Columbia GSB Admissions [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2014, 10:04
Expert's post
ColumbiaMBA wrote:
bagdbmba wrote:
ColumbiaMBA wrote:
Hi bagdbmba,

Thank you for your question. We update applicants about their status via e-mail and on their status page. They should receive an e-mail, but we have heard some e-mails going to junk/spam folders. This is rare and usually happens with work e-mails.

I hope this helps.

Thank you Matthew for this clarification. I'd convey this to them in the concerned thread.

Just a quick question - the status update will take place in the home page of the applicant's account. Am I right?

Hi bagdbmba, Applicants login here to check their status - https://apply.gsb.columbia.edu/status.

Best,

Thank you Matthew. I've already conveyed the same to them.

UPDATED : e-GMAT SC Resources-Consolidated || ALL RC Resources-Consolidated || ALL SC Resources-Consolidated || UPDATED : AWA compilations-109 Analysis of Argument Essays || NEW !!! GMAC's IR Prep Tool

GMAT Club guide - OG 11-12-13 || Veritas Blog || Manhattan GMAT Blog

KUDOS please, if you like the post or if it helps :-)

Intern
Intern
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 14

Re: Ask Columbia GSB Admissions [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2014, 10:25
Afternoon,

I recently found out that you may not need a US co-signer for study loans, if you are an international student. Columbia was left off my application list purely because of this. Has this rule in fact changed?
Official Business School Representative
Followers: 18

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

Re: Ask Columbia GSB Admissions [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2014, 09:27
RSAproud wrote:
Afternoon,

I recently found out that you may not need a US co-signer for study loans, if you are an international student. Columbia was left off my application list purely because of this. Has this rule in fact changed?

Hi RSAproud,

Thank you for your question. The school is pursuing options for our international students, but right now we are still not able to offer loans to our international applicants without a US co-signer.

Best of luck!

Matthew Moll
Associate Director
MBA Admissions
Twitter: @ColumbiaMBA

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Ask Columbia GSB Admissions [#permalink] New post 13 Apr 2014, 18:33
Hi,

Is GRE score taken in 2010 good for applying or is it recommended that I take the GMAT? I saw that many people strongly suggest using GMAT over GRE, because GSB will still weighing more on candidates applying with GMAT

Re: Ask Columbia GSB Admissions [#permalink] New post 15 Apr 2014, 12:54
txxmary wrote:
Hi,

Is GRE score taken in 2010 good for applying or is it recommended that I take the GMAT? I saw that many people strongly suggest using GMAT over GRE, because GSB will still weighing more on candidates applying with GMAT

Hi txxmary,

Thank you for your question! We prefer the GMAT, because it is designed for MBA programs, however we will consider the GMAT and GRE equally. As long as your GRE scores are valid (five years from when you start the program) you can include those in your application.

Best of luck,

Matthew Moll
Associate Director
MBA Admissions

Intern
Intern

Re: Ask Columbia GSB Admissions [#permalink] New post 15 Apr 2014, 18:45
ColumbiaMBA wrote:
txxmary wrote:
Hi,

Hi txxmary,

Thank you for your question! We prefer the GMAT, because it is designed for MBA programs, however we will consider the GMAT and GRE equally. As long as your GRE scores are valid (five years from when you start the program) you can include those in your application.

Best of luck,

Thank you Matthew, Since the school evaluate GMAT and GRE equally, that means applying to GSB with GRE will not jepordize my chances over GMAT candidates, then i will apply with GRE.

Re: Ask Columbia GSB Admissions [#permalink] New post 21 Apr 2014, 08:48
txxmary wrote:
ColumbiaMBA wrote:
txxmary wrote:
Hi,

Hi txxmary,

Best of luck,

Thank you Matthew, Since the school evaluate GMAT and GRE equally, that means applying to GSB with GRE will not jepordize my chances over GMAT candidates, then i will apply with GRE.

We wish you the best during the application process. Thank you for considering Columbia Business School!

Matthew Moll
Associate Director
MBA Admissions

Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 308 [0], given: 190

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Ask Columbia GSB Admissions [#permalink] New post 21 Apr 2014, 23:09
Hi Matthew, Does CBS release acceptance rates for EA round.

The question is not can you rise up to iconic! The real question is will you ?

Re: Ask Columbia GSB Admissions [#permalink] New post 01 May 2014, 10:35
AbhiJ wrote:
Hi Matthew, Does CBS release acceptance rates for EA round.

Hi AbhiJ,

Thank you for your question. Our acceptance rate is about 16 percent every year.

Best of luck!

Matthew Moll
Associate Director
MBA Admissions

Intern
Intern

Re: Ask Columbia GSB Admissions [#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2014, 18:28
Hi Matthew,

I have questions regarding GMAT.

According to the admission requirement page:
“All applicants must submit a self-reported GMAT or GRE score. Scores are valid for five years. Your scores must be valid when you submit your application. Both the Analytical Writing Assessment (AWA) and Integrated Reasoning (IR) sections are required if you take the GMAT”

Since I took GMAT 2 years ago, the score is still valid. However, there was no IR section at that time. Do I have to retake GMAT to get the score of IR section? Or can I just submit the score report with blank IR section?

Thank you.
Manager
Manager

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Ask Columbia GSB Admissions [#permalink] New post 26 Jun 2014, 11:53
z3thw00d wrote:
Hi Matthew,

“All applicants must submit a self-reported GMAT or GRE score. Scores are valid for five years. Your scores must be valid when you submit your application. Both the Analytical Writing Assessment (AWA) and Integrated Reasoning (IR) sections are required if you take the GMAT”

Since I took GMAT 2 years ago, the score is still valid. However, there was no IR section at that time. Do I have to retake GMAT to get the score of IR section? Or can I just submit the score report with blank IR section?

Thank you.

You are fine, since you took it before the IR section existed. If you have problems submitting, contact the Admission Office.

Re: Ask Columbia GSB Admissions [#permalink] New post 01 Jul 2014, 15:31
z3thw00d wrote:
Hi Matthew,

Thank you.

Hi z3thw00d,

Thank you for your question. If the IR was not available when you took the test and your scores are still valid you do not need to submit an IR score. Let us know if you have any issues submitting! Best of luck!

Matthew Moll
Associate Director
MBA Admissions

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V41

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Ask Columbia GSB Admissions [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2014, 20:35
Hello Matthew,

To continue the IR discussion, are you able to describe if the IR section will be receiving more weight in admissions for Fall 2015?

Thank you

Re: Ask Columbia GSB Admissions [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2014, 08:12
hubbl3 wrote:
Hello Matthew,

To continue the IR discussion, are you able to describe if the IR section will be receiving more weight in admissions for Fall 2015?

Thank you

Hi hubbl3,

Thank you for your question. We do not give a specific weight to any part of the application as our process is holistic. This is true of the IR section. It will be considered with your application as a whole.

Best of luck,

Matthew Moll
Associate Director
MBA Admissions

Intern
Intern

Re: Ask Columbia GSB Admissions [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2014, 15:20
With regard to the Early Decision application - does the evaluation begin October 8 after the deadline or as soon as the application is submitted? Is there any advantage to applying earlier in the summer as opposed to applying around the October 8 deadline?

Re: Ask Columbia GSB Admissions [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2014, 08:08
ds17 wrote:
With regard to the Early Decision application - does the evaluation begin October 8 after the deadline or as soon as the application is submitted? Is there any advantage to applying earlier in the summer as opposed to applying around the October 8 deadline?

Hi ds17,

We begin reviewing applications for ED and January as soon as a completed application is submitted. If all your required materials are submitted when you submit your application your review process will begin. Our process is rolling so the earlier you apply the earlier you will be reviewed in the process and more spots will be available.

Best of luck!

Matthew Moll
Associate Director
MBA Admissions

Intern
Intern

Re: Ask Columbia GSB Admissions [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2014, 09:30
QiuYidio wrote:
z3thw00d wrote:
Hi Matthew,

Thank you.

You are fine, since you took it before the IR section existed. If you have problems submitting, contact the Admission Office.

ColumbiaMBA wrote:
z3thw00d wrote:
Hi Matthew,

Thank you.

Hi z3thw00d,

Thank you for your question. If the IR was not available when you took the test and your scores are still valid you do not need to submit an IR score. Let us know if you have any issues submitting! Best of luck!

Thank you :)
Intern
Intern

Re: Ask Columbia GSB Admissions [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2014, 07:19
Dear Matt,

As a re-applicant, I have several questions:

1) I understand that only the re-applicant essay is required, but am I allowed to update my previous three essays?

2) I have improved my GMAT score and want my updated score to be considered in my application this year, where can I indicate that? (the website says that I should indicate which GMAT score I wish to be considered, but there's no place to indicate on the online application)

3) The online application asks me to name the names of current students I've talked to. I have talked to someone who will enroll this coming August (meaning she's not a CBS student yet but she will be), can I write her name down as a "current student"?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Re: Ask Columbia GSB Admissions [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2014, 19:27
kwu325 wrote:
Dear Matt,

As a re-applicant, I have several questions:

1) I understand that only the re-applicant essay is required, but am I allowed to update my previous three essays?

2) I have improved my GMAT score and want my updated score to be considered in my application this year, where can I indicate that? (the website says that I should indicate which GMAT score I wish to be considered, but there's no place to indicate on the online application)

3) The online application asks me to name the names of current students I've talked to. I have talked to someone who will enroll this coming August (meaning she's not a CBS student yet but she will be), can I write her name down as a "current student"?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Hi kwu325,

Thank you for your questions! I've addressed each below:

1.) We prefer that reapplicants complete only the required essay. I suggest only submitting the required reapplicant essay. It is not possible to upload additional essays into the application.

2.) You are able to update your GMAT score in the online application. If you are unable to find the section of the application where scores are located please e-mail us at apply@gsb.columbia.edu.

3.) Sure thing! You can include an admitted student in the application.

Best of luck,

Matthew Moll
Associate Director
MBA Admissions

Intern
Intern

Re: Ask Columbia GSB Admissions [#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2014, 14:38
Hi,

I submitted my ED application on August 4th. Is it realistic to assume I can hear something (either an interview invitation or an application denial letter) back before the end of August?

I asked a few friends who applied before, and they all said they heard from the admission office about two weeks after the submission (late July and early August submissions).

Thank you very much.

Best,

Leopold
Re: Ask Columbia GSB Admissions   [#permalink] 13 Aug 2014, 14:38