Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Sep 2014, 15:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Ask Columbia GSB Admissions

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
3 KUDOS received
Official Business School Representative
User avatar
Joined: 05 Oct 2011
Posts: 166
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 12 [3] , given: 0

Ask Columbia GSB Admissions [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2011, 11:01
3
This post received
KUDOS
5
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Welcome to the official Columbia Graduate School of Business Ask Admissions Thread!

The Columbia MBA Admissions Team would like to welcome everyone to this thread and offer an opportunity to ask questions about our leading MBA program. If there is anything we can help with, please let us know.




Columbia GSB Real Time 2013 Application Statistics on GMAT Club



Rankings



Historical GMAT Club Applicant Threads



Popular Links


_________________

Matthew Moll
Associate Director
MBA Admissions
Twitter: @ColumbiaMBA

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Founder
Founder
User avatar
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
Joined: 04 Dec 2002
Posts: 12270
Location: United States (WA)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2294

Kudos [?]: 9031 [2] , given: 3676

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Ask Columbia GSB Admissions [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2011, 11:02
2
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Very warm welcome to the Columbia GSB Admissions Team!
_________________

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 27 Jul 2011
Posts: 182
Location: United States (NY)
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: CBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 720 Q46 V44
GPA: 3.74
WE: Accounting (Investment Banking)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 28

Re: Ask Columbia GSB Admissions [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2011, 11:30
Thank you for taking the time to come on the board and answer our questions.

For those of us that are able to apply before the fellowship deadline, when would we hear back whether we received any fellowships? Also, is there anyway to know which fellowships you were considered for?
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 05 Oct 2011
Posts: 45
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Ask Columbia GSB Admissions [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2011, 14:15
Thanks for taking time to answer our questions.

I have a question about my submission status:

I submitted my application on 10/5 7 AM, and I got an email notifying the status change on 10/5 9 AM. The status was changed to: Your application is now being printed and prepared for review.

However, my two recommendations were not submitted then until around deadline.

Since then, my status has kept being: Submitted. Your application is now being printed and prepared for review...

I wonder whether the unchange of my status means I'm after other candidates who submitted apps earlier than me so it's not my turn yet, or means the late submission of recommendations does harm to the review priority of my package?

Many thanks to your answers!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Affiliations: CBS Class of 2014
Joined: 07 May 2011
Posts: 390
Concentration: Finance
Schools: CBS '14 (M)
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 8

Premium Member
Re: Ask Columbia GSB Admissions [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2011, 12:49
Fantastic to see CBS admissions on the boards, welcome! Wish there would of been representation while I was still grueling over my decision :)

On a side note, odds of putting fudgey and I in the same cluster? :)
_________________

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Official Business School Representative
User avatar
Joined: 05 Oct 2011
Posts: 166
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

Re: Ask Columbia GSB Admissions [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2011, 14:02
bb wrote:
Very warm welcome to the Columbia GSB Admissions Team!


Thanks! Great to be here.

Be sure to follow us on Twitter ttp://twitter.com/#!/columbiamba and on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/pages/Columbia ... 3492372790

Check out our video answers that we posted earlier this Fall as well. http://www.youtube.com/user/ColumbiaBus ... 3699C759ED

Good luck to everyone!




Matthew Moll
Assistant Director
MBA Admissions
Twitter: @ColumbiaMBA
_________________

Matthew Moll
Associate Director
MBA Admissions
Twitter: @ColumbiaMBA

Official Business School Representative
User avatar
Joined: 05 Oct 2011
Posts: 166
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

Re: Ask Columbia GSB Admissions [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2011, 14:08
mbaer2012 wrote:
Thank you for taking the time to come on the board and answer our questions.

For those of us that are able to apply before the fellowship deadline, when would we hear back whether we received any fellowships? Also, is there anyway to know which fellowships you were considered for?



Hi mbaer2012

Thank you for your question. You will hear back after being admitted, usually in the Spring, about financial awards. Fellowships are posted at http://www4.gsb.columbia.edu/mba/admiss ... llowships; however we do not formally notify admits about fellowships until they are awarded, so admits are not notified about the fellowships for which they were considered prior to that.


I hope this helps!


Matthew Moll
Assistant Director
MBA Admissions
Twitter: @ColumbiaMBA
_________________

Matthew Moll
Associate Director
MBA Admissions
Twitter: @ColumbiaMBA

Official Business School Representative
User avatar
Joined: 05 Oct 2011
Posts: 166
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

Re: Ask Columbia GSB Admissions [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2011, 14:18
losttraveler wrote:
Fantastic to see CBS admissions on the boards, welcome! Wish there would of been representation while I was still grueling over my decision :)

On a side note, odds of putting fudgey and I in the same cluster? :)



Hi losttraveler,

Thanks for posting! The Admissions Office isn't part of Cluster decisions, but The Office of Student Affairs will take great care in putting you in a Cluster. The Cluster experience is something that will be an important part of your entire Columbia Business School experience, not just in the classroom and during your time on campus, but beyond. Unfortunately I don't think they take specific requests for fellow Cluster members.

Good luck!

Matthew Moll
Assistant Director
MBA Admissions
Twitter: @ColumbiaMBA
_________________

Matthew Moll
Associate Director
MBA Admissions
Twitter: @ColumbiaMBA

Official Business School Representative
User avatar
Joined: 05 Oct 2011
Posts: 166
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

Re: Ask Columbia GSB Admissions [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2011, 14:22
bonnierong2010 wrote:
Thanks for taking time to answer our questions.

I have a question about my submission status:

I submitted my application on 10/5 7 AM, and I got an email notifying the status change on 10/5 9 AM. The status was changed to: Your application is now being printed and prepared for review.

However, my two recommendations were not submitted then until around deadline.

Since then, my status has kept being: Submitted. Your application is now being printed and prepared for review...

I wonder whether the unchange of my status means I'm after other candidates who submitted apps earlier than me so it's not my turn yet, or means the late submission of recommendations does harm to the review priority of my package?

Many thanks to your answers!



Hi bonnierong2010,

Thank you for submitting your application! If your recommenders did not submit your application would be incomplete. We cannot review applications until they are complete, which includes recommendations. If your recommenders submitted after you sent us your application and your application status is incomplete please contact us at apply@gsb.columbia.edu and we will update your application. If they have not submitted we will not be able to begin reviewing your application until the recommenders are in our system.

I hope this helps.

Matthew Moll
Assistant Director
MBA Admissions
Twitter: @ColumbiaMBA
_________________

Matthew Moll
Associate Director
MBA Admissions
Twitter: @ColumbiaMBA

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 05 Oct 2011
Posts: 45
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Ask Columbia GSB Admissions [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2011, 14:29
ColumbiaMBA wrote:
bonnierong2010 wrote:
Thanks for taking time to answer our questions.

I have a question about my submission status:

I submitted my application on 10/5 7 AM, and I got an email notifying the status change on 10/5 9 AM. The status was changed to: Your application is now being printed and prepared for review.

However, my two recommendations were not submitted then until around deadline.

Since then, my status has kept being: Submitted. Your application is now being printed and prepared for review...

I wonder whether the unchange of my status means I'm after other candidates who submitted apps earlier than me so it's not my turn yet, or means the late submission of recommendations does harm to the review priority of my package?

Many thanks to your answers!



Hi bonnierong2010,

Thank you for submitting your application! If your recommenders did not submit your application would be incomplete. We cannot review applications until they are complete, which includes recommendations. If your recommenders submitted after you sent us your application and your application status is incomplete please contact us at apply@gsb.columbia.edu and we will update your application. If they have not submitted we will not be able to begin reviewing your application until the recommenders are in our system.

I hope this helps.

Matthew Moll
Assistant Director
MBA Admissions
Twitter: @ColumbiaMBA


Hi Matthew,

Thank you for your reply.
I cannot find whether my status is "complete" or "incomplete". It just says:
Submission Status: Submitted
Submitted Date: 10/5/2011 7:13:00 AM EST
Your application is now being printed and prepared for review.
Recommendation Providers:
XX: Submitted, 10/6/2011 (which is actually 12:00 AM EST, 10/6)
XX: Submitted, 10/5/2011


Should I still email the admission office to update my information?

Thanks.
Official Business School Representative
User avatar
Joined: 05 Oct 2011
Posts: 166
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

Re: Ask Columbia GSB Admissions [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2011, 14:33
bonnierong2010 wrote:
ColumbiaMBA wrote:
bonnierong2010 wrote:
Thanks for taking time to answer our questions.

I have a question about my submission status:

I submitted my application on 10/5 7 AM, and I got an email notifying the status change on 10/5 9 AM. The status was changed to: Your application is now being printed and prepared for review.

However, my two recommendations were not submitted then until around deadline.

Since then, my status has kept being: Submitted. Your application is now being printed and prepared for review...

I wonder whether the unchange of my status means I'm after other candidates who submitted apps earlier than me so it's not my turn yet, or means the late submission of recommendations does harm to the review priority of my package?

Many thanks to your answers!



Hi bonnierong2010,

Thank you for submitting your application! If your recommenders did not submit your application would be incomplete. We cannot review applications until they are complete, which includes recommendations. If your recommenders submitted after you sent us your application and your application status is incomplete please contact us at apply@gsb.columbia.edu and we will update your application. If they have not submitted we will not be able to begin reviewing your application until the recommenders are in our system.

I hope this helps.

Matthew Moll
Assistant Director
MBA Admissions
Twitter: @ColumbiaMBA


Hi Matthew,

Thank you for your reply.
I cannot find whether my status is "complete" or "incomplete". It just says:
Submission Status: Submitted
Submitted Date: 10/5/2011 7:13:00 AM EST
Your application is now being printed and prepared for review.
Recommendation Providers:
XX: Submitted, 10/6/2011 (which is actually 12:00 AM EST, 10/6)
XX: Submitted, 10/5/2011


Should I still email the admisson office to update my information?

Thanks.



Hi bonnierong2010,

This means your application is still being processed. I recommend waiting until you receive an e-mail about your next status update. You should allow up to three weeks for another status update; however they usually happen much sooner.

Regards,



Matthew Moll
Assistant Director
MBA Admissions
Twitter: @ColumbiaMBA
_________________

Matthew Moll
Associate Director
MBA Admissions
Twitter: @ColumbiaMBA

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 05 Oct 2011
Posts: 45
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Ask Columbia GSB Admissions [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2011, 14:40
ColumbiaMBA wrote:
bonnierong2010 wrote:
ColumbiaMBA wrote:
Hi bonnierong2010,

Thank you for submitting your application! If your recommenders did not submit your application would be incomplete. We cannot review applications until they are complete, which includes recommendations. If your recommenders submitted after you sent us your application and your application status is incomplete please contact us at apply@gsb.columbia.edu and we will update your application. If they have not submitted we will not be able to begin reviewing your application until the recommenders are in our system.

I hope this helps.

Matthew Moll
Assistant Director
MBA Admissions
Twitter: @ColumbiaMBA


Hi Matthew,

Thank you for your reply.
I cannot find whether my status is "complete" or "incomplete". It just says:
Submission Status: Submitted
Submitted Date: 10/5/2011 7:13:00 AM EST
Your application is now being printed and prepared for review.
Recommendation Providers:
XX: Submitted, 10/6/2011 (which is actually 12:00 AM EST, 10/6)
XX: Submitted, 10/5/2011


Should I still email the admisson office to update my information?

Thanks.



Hi bonnierong2010,

This means your application is still being processed. I recommend waiting until you receive an e-mail about your next status update. You should allow up to three weeks for another status update; however they usually happen much sooner.

Regards,

Matthew Moll
Assistant Director
MBA Admissions
Twitter: @ColumbiaMBA


Thanks, Matthew.
Then I'll wait for the status change email.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 24 Aug 2011
Posts: 104
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 13

Re: Ask Columbia GSB Admissions [#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2011, 06:14
Thanks for being on this board.

I submitted regular decision and was wondering how this year's process is going compared to previous years. Are regular decisions still reviewed around mid-December? It seems as though some people take only ~20 days (ED applicants) between submission and having a decision rendered. Seems like at the 20 days rate regular decision applicants might be able to get reviewed even earlier. Do you think that will be the case?
Official Business School Representative
User avatar
Joined: 05 Oct 2011
Posts: 166
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

Re: Ask Columbia GSB Admissions [#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2011, 14:48
robface wrote:
Thanks for being on this board.

I submitted regular decision and was wondering how this year's process is going compared to previous years. Are regular decisions still reviewed around mid-December? It seems as though some people take only ~20 days (ED applicants) between submission and having a decision rendered. Seems like at the 20 days rate regular decision applicants might be able to get reviewed even earlier. Do you think that will be the case?


Hi robface,

Thank you for submitting your application. We will begin reviewing RD applications in December; however it is difficult to gauge if the timeline for review will be shorter. You should allow 8-12 weeks to receive your decision from when your application goes under review even if you submitted your RD application and it we begin reviewing it in December.

Best of luck.

Regards,

Matthew Moll
Assistant Director
MBA Admissions
Twitter: @ColumbiaMBA
_________________

Matthew Moll
Associate Director
MBA Admissions
Twitter: @ColumbiaMBA

Retired Moderator
avatar
Joined: 02 Feb 2009
Posts: 374
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V35
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V42
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 149 [0], given: 27

Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Ask Columbia GSB Admissions [#permalink] New post 13 Oct 2011, 04:17
Hi,

I had applied ED but received a denied without interview decision update yesterday (after 1 month of submitting). I wanted to check if CBS offers any feedback, once the admissions season is over? I know you mention on your website that you don't, but a current student I know mentioned this may not be the case this year and he knew of people who received feedback in the past? Wanted to confirm with you.

Thanks
_________________

http://unclearadmit.tumblr.com
Latest Blog Entry:
09-05-13 Its been too long ... Updates & the Tuck Loan

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 05 Sep 2011
Posts: 38
Location: United States (IL)
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
GPA: 3.5
WE: Accounting (Accounting)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: Ask Columbia GSB Admissions [#permalink] New post 13 Oct 2011, 12:16
:-D

Last edited by ciduo777 on 15 Oct 2011, 12:19, edited 1 time in total.
Official Business School Representative
User avatar
Joined: 05 Oct 2011
Posts: 166
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

Re: Ask Columbia GSB Admissions [#permalink] New post 13 Oct 2011, 12:29
str1der wrote:
Hi,

I had applied ED but received a denied without interview decision update yesterday (after 1 month of submitting). I wanted to check if CBS offers any feedback, once the admissions season is over? I know you mention on your website that you don't, but a current student I know mentioned this may not be the case this year and he knew of people who received feedback in the past? Wanted to confirm with you.

Thanks



Hi st1der,

Thank you for your question. I am sorry to hear you were not offered a spot in our class. We do not offer individual feedback and do not think this policy will change. We simply do not have the resources to meet the number of requests. You can do a self assessment of your application at http://www4.gsb.columbia.edu/mba/learnmore/faqs#5

Best of luck going forward.


Matthew Moll
Assistant Director
MBA Admissions
Twitter: @ColumbiaMBA
_________________

Matthew Moll
Associate Director
MBA Admissions
Twitter: @ColumbiaMBA

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Affiliations: Phi Beta Kappa
Joined: 24 Aug 2011
Posts: 187
Concentration: International Business, Other
Schools: Columbia - Class of 2014
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 9

Re: Ask Columbia GSB Admissions [#permalink] New post 14 Oct 2011, 07:08
Matthew,


Like the others, I too am thankful (and impressed) that Columbia has representation on this board. Very cool!

Can you advise on timeline for ED applicants? I had my interview some 3 weeks ago, and the feedback was submitted almost the next day if I remember correctly.

Thanks again!
_________________

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
Official Business School Representative
User avatar
Joined: 05 Oct 2011
Posts: 166
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 12 [1] , given: 0

Re: Ask Columbia GSB Admissions [#permalink] New post 14 Oct 2011, 10:25
1
This post received
KUDOS
NoggieViking wrote:
Matthew,


Like the others, I too am thankful (and impressed) that Columbia has representation on this board. Very cool!

Can you advise on timeline for ED applicants? I had my interview some 3 weeks ago, and the feedback was submitted almost the next day if I remember correctly.

Thanks again!


Hi NoggieViking,

You should allow up to 12 weeks for a decision. We do our best to render decisions in a timely manner, but please allow for 12 weeks from when your application went under review. There isn't a specific timeline for a decision after an interview is complete.

Good luck!

Matthew Moll
Assistant Director
MBA Admissions
Twitter: @ColumbiaMBA
_________________

Matthew Moll
Associate Director
MBA Admissions
Twitter: @ColumbiaMBA

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Affiliations: Phi Beta Kappa
Joined: 24 Aug 2011
Posts: 187
Concentration: International Business, Other
Schools: Columbia - Class of 2014
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 9

Re: Ask Columbia GSB Admissions [#permalink] New post 14 Oct 2011, 11:11
ColumbiaMBA wrote:
NoggieViking wrote:
Matthew,


Like the others, I too am thankful (and impressed) that Columbia has representation on this board. Very cool!

Can you advise on timeline for ED applicants? I had my interview some 3 weeks ago, and the feedback was submitted almost the next day if I remember correctly.

Thanks again!


Hi NoggieViking,

You should allow up to 12 weeks for a decision. We do our best to render decisions in a timely manner, but please allow for 12 weeks from when your application went under review. There isn't a specific timeline for a decision after an interview is complete.

Good luck!

Matthew Moll
Assistant Director
MBA Admissions
Twitter: @ColumbiaMBA


Thank you very much for replying to my question.

Have a good weekend all!
_________________

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: Ask Columbia GSB Admissions   [#permalink] 14 Oct 2011, 11:11
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
16 Experts publish their posts in the topic Ask Columbia GSB Admissions ColumbiaMBA 353 10 Oct 2011, 11:01
4 Ask University of British Columbia Sauder School Admissions UBCMBA 43 05 Jun 2012, 21:02
Ask Columbia GSB Admissions ColumbiaMBA 36 10 Oct 2011, 11:01
Columbia GSB GMATcram 0 25 Dec 2006, 02:32
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Ask Columbia GSB Admissions

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page    1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  18    Next  [ 354 posts ] 



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.