Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Sep 2014, 02:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Ask Darden Admissions

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 660 Q V
GMAT 2: 670 Q0 V0
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [1] , given: 18

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Ask Darden Admissions [#permalink] New post 27 Feb 2014, 10:11
This post received
KUDOS
DardenAdmissions wrote:
Suman -

Thank you for your questions. Answers are as follows:

1. Selection for experiential activities depends on the opportunity and capacity for the project. Elective courses are assigned based on a bidding system, and most students receive their first choice. The only exception is if a class is in high demand and has a small number of seats available. The i.Lab has an application process, and typically 50% of the applicants are admitted into the incubator (which has 20-25 seats). Students interested in a Venturing Business Project usually pursue independent study, so they're typically paired up with a faculty advisor who works closely with them to form the parameters of the project.

2. Most DBPs and incubator companies are locally-based because students will typically use Charlottesville as a test market for their business before expanding to larger markets. There are a few exceptions to this though, especially if the company does most of its work online. We have also had students partner with individuals in different geographic regions, which makes other markets more accessible to them while they are in business school. However, most students who continue their ventures post-graduation will expand beyond Charlottesville, so starting a business for the Indian market is certainly possible.

3. The facilities are great. All students are assigned a learning team room for their use throughout the year. There has never been issues finding a place to study in the library, common areas or other parts of campus, even during exam weeks.

4. We have a pretty large alumni network in Mumbai, Delhi and Bangalore. I encourage you to reach out to some of our Indian students for more perspective (just type "India" into the search bar to find them: http://www.darden.virginia.edu/web/mba/ ... tact/home/

5. We don't have housing directly on the Darden Grounds, but there are options to live in UVA housing. However, most students tend to live in 3 different off-campus apartments: Ivy Gardens, Pavilion at North Grounds, and Huntington Village. These places are within a 5 minute walk of Darden. There are plenty of other housing options around Charlottesville as well. Since we are a college town and have thousands of students at UVA each year, finding convenient housing is never a problem.

I hope these answers help! Good luck in the application process.

Regards,
Darden Admissions

Thank you. The answers are very helpful.
Official Business School Representative
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

Re: Ask Darden Admissions [#permalink] New post 27 Feb 2014, 11:41
Greetings bagcanbabayigit,

Great questions!

1. At Darden, we teach using the case study method. This means that we depend on the knowledge and experiences that the students have to drive the discussion in class. The case method is most effective when there's a diversity of perspectives represented in the classroom. Your professional experiences, location of origin, gender, ethnicity and much more contribute to these perspectives. We're looking for students who can contribute to the learning environment and are open to learning from their classmates as well.

2. Building a diverse class of students is important to us, and we actively recruit students from all over the world.

3. We do have alumni from Turkey. Please email me at BenzF@darden.virginia.edu, and I will connect you with one of them.

Regards,

Darden Admissions

bagcanbabayigit wrote:
Dear Admissions,

First of all, I would like to say thank you in the name of all MBA applicants in here for giving such an amazing opportunity to ask questions about Darden.

I am planing to apply an MBA program in fall 2014. May be it will be better to build a little background about myself. I have 3,5 years work experience in Deloitte as auditor , Coca-Cola and P&G as an Financial Analyst. I have been working in IKEA as business controller for 3 years and in the beginning march I am going to be appointed as Finance&Operations manager. I have graduated from Economics Department of one of the top 3 universities in Turkey with GPA 3,16. I know it is low as compared to school median but I have a valid story behind it :) I have not taken a GMAT score yet and I am planing to get a score around 680-710 in June latest. In addition to that, I am contributing to volunteer activities in UN and Losev (Foundation for Children with Leukemia). I am also board member of a non-governmental political organization, Young Politicians Association.

My post MBA target is to shift my career into consulting. Thats why I am looking for a program who helps me to build a strong background by offering real time case studies. I know that Darden is one the top b-schools which have reached its majority in this area. Here is my questions.

1) What kind of specialities should a prospective student have in order to get an acceptance from Darden? Yes the admission criteria is more or less the same for all top b-schools, but what kind of values are appreciated specifically by Darden?

2) As admission commitee, do you try to create a cultural diversity in class? I mean, as we all know the whoppering sum of applications are composed by Indian, Chinese and US students. And less seats are empty for the rest of the world :) Do you have such an intent to create heterogeneous class by means of nationality?

3) In these days, I am trying to prepare a short list for myself. Thats why I am trying to contact with current Turkish students or alumni to get more information about my targeted schools. If possible can you please help me to contact with a current Turkish student?

Thanks for your kind answer.

Best Regards.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GMAT Date: 04-15-2015
GPA: 3.44
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Re: Ask Darden Admissions [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2014, 00:54
Greetings Darden Admissions :-D ,
I am Abhilash from Bangalore, India. I have recently completed my graduation in commerce with finance specialization and I am looking forward to pursue my higher studies in Mba from America. It would be really kind of you if you would answer some of my basic queries.
1. Can you please tell me whether a 3 years Bachelors degree from India is accepted at Darden ?
2. Min work experience required ?
3. Is it possible to get adm to Full time Mba at Darden with out any work experience ?
4. My GPA is 3.44, What are possibilities of Adm If I score 650-700 in Gmat ?
:-D
Thank you :-D
Official Business School Representative
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

Re: Ask Darden Admissions [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2014, 13:01
ABHILASHTT wrote:
Greetings Darden Admissions :-D ,
I am Abhilash from Bangalore, India. I have recently completed my graduation in commerce with finance specialization and I am looking forward to pursue my higher studies in Mba from America. It would be really kind of you if you would answer some of my basic queries.
1. Can you please tell me whether a 3 years Bachelors degree from India is accepted at Darden ?
2. Min work experience required ?
3. Is it possible to get adm to Full time Mba at Darden with out any work experience ?
4. My GPA is 3.44, What are possibilities of Adm If I score 650-700 in Gmat ?
:-D
Thank you :-D

Abhilash - Happy to respond to your questions.

We do consider candidates with a 3-year Bachelor's degree, as long as it is considered the equivalent of a four-year American baccalaureate degree. We don't have a minimum requirement for years of professional experience, but it is recommended that you have at least two. Our students typically average between 4-5 years of professional experience, and it is very rare that we admit a student with no work experience.

For your GPA and GMAT questions, I suggest you look at our class profile. We take a holistic approach in our evaluation process, so we look at much more than just GMAT and GPA. http://www.darden.virginia.edu/web/mba/ ... s-profile/

Hope this helps!

Kinds regards,
Darden Admissions
Re: Ask Darden Admissions   [#permalink] 01 Apr 2014, 13:01