Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 19:14

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Ask DreamMBA

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Expert Post
Dream MBA Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: DreamMBA Inc.
Schools: HBS '16, INSEAD (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
GPA: 3.94
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 2

Ask DreamMBA [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2014, 00:08
Expert's post
Hi Sontribled,

You definitely stand better chances are an executive MBA. You can still try full time MBA but the outcome will be more uncertain given your age and somewhat lower GMAT score.

If you apply to exec MBA, you don't need to retake the GMAT again. Exec. MBA is more about the duration and quality of your work experience. From your description, it seems that you have what it takes to get into a top exec MBA program.

Only thing I would recommend is to try securing some financing from your employer. Exec. MBAs are expensive and have lower RoI if you are spending money out of your pocket.

Good luck

DreamMBA inc. Premium MBA Admission Consultants

We are offering huge discounts on our packages for early birds. Visit our website now to benefit from these limited time offers.

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post

Re: Ask DreamMBA [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2014, 01:08
Expert's post
Two Reminders for everyone:

1. We are arraning an online event next weekend. The title is: "MBA Application strategy for Engineers". Feel free to register at: https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/register/2482047804064681218

2. We are offering huge discounts on our packages till 3rd August. http://www.dreammba.com/compare-packages/ To benefit from this early bird offer, contact us now at omer.cheema@dreammba.com

We are offering huge discounts on our packages for early birds. Visit our website now to benefit from these limited time offers.

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V36
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 1

Re: Ask DreamMBA [#permalink] New post 11 Aug 2014, 20:50
This post received
KUDOS
Profile Evaluation needed.
Following are my details. I am still researching about the MBA colleges.
After MBA, I am interested in working as MC.
Long term goal, Expand family business.

My GMAT score is 710.
Experience 50 months.
Age - 26
I am an engineering graduate in IT from top Indian university National Institute of technology Karnataka.
CGPA - 7.63/10
Attachments

Vidit_Resume_final.pdf [123.82 KiB]
Downloaded 5 times

To download please login or register as a user

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received

Kudos [?]: 12 [1] , given: 2

Ask DreamMBA [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2014, 01:06
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
viditjindal wrote:
Profile Evaluation needed.
Following are my details. I am still researching about the MBA colleges.
After MBA, I am interested in working as MC.
Long term goal, Expand family business.

My GMAT score is 710.
Experience 50 months.
Age - 26
I am an engineering graduate in IT from top Indian university National Institute of technology Karnataka.
CGPA - 7.63/10

Dear Vidit,

Here are your strengths:
1. Your academic background: NIT is a good school and you have decent grades. A score of 710 also points to your capability to handle the academic workload.
2. Your age and experience: In both age and experience, you are at the sweet spot for MBA application process. You are at the right time, at the right place.
3. Your Family business: Shows clarity on your career direction and vision. Adcoms will not have to think about your employability.

Weaknesses:
1. Nothing major.

Only issue I see is that: you come from Indian/IT/Male applicant pool which is very competitive. Given your resume and brief description that you have provided, it seems that you be able to build a good story around your profile. If you manage to do that, I am confident that you will be able to get into one of the top schools.

My recommendation would be to apply to 4-5 schools ranked between 1-15. Given that the competition in your applicant pool is tough, please also apply to one school ranked between 15-20 as a safety school.

Good luck with your applications.

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V36
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Energy and Utilities)

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

Re: Ask DreamMBA [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2014, 21:53
Thanks for the advice. But, I am little confused here. I have received just opposite feedback from Stacy Blackman.
They said my profile is just a traditional engineer profile and family businesses should not be included in the application because family businesses don't actually need an MBA.
They advised me to apply only in 15 + rank colleges.

Pls help with these completely opposite views.
Expert Post

Ask DreamMBA [#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2014, 00:49
Expert's post
viditjindal wrote:
Thanks for the advice. But, I am little confused here. I have received just opposite feedback from Stacy Blackman.
They said my profile is just a traditional engineer profile and family businesses should not be included in the application because family businesses don't actually need an MBA.
They advised me to apply only in 15 + rank colleges.

Pls help with these completely opposite views.

I respectfully disagree with the feedback provided by other consultants.

Several major business schools offer specific courses in Family business management. A lot of applicants apply to business schools in order to equip themselves with skill-set needed to run their family businesses.

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Healthcare
Schools: CBS
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.56

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Ask DreamMBA [#permalink] New post 15 Aug 2014, 12:14
Hi - Profile Eval? :)

Thanks in advance for your time. Any feedback is greatly apprecaited!

Overview: White Male/Male/24

GMAT: 740 ( Q50 V40 ) AWA 5, IR 8

Undergrad:
University of St. Thomas, 3.59 (3.65 Major), Major: Mechanical Engineering, Minor: Electrical Engineering, 3.03 GPA freshman year

Work Ex:
Worked for 1 year at 3M as a manufacturing engineer. Currently work for ZS Associates (consulting company) with a little over 1 year experience.
Most experience is in operations, reducing cylce time, etc...
Will have 3 years of experience at matriculation

Extra Curricular:
Started and instructed a non-profit youth fundamentals basketball camp. Instructed for over a year

Career Goals:
As pharmaceutical, biotech, and medical device companies have faced major challenges such as pricing pressures they have looked to operations to maximize profits. Therefore upon graduation I would like to work as a consultant for a top pharmaceutical consulting firm such as ZS Associates, Mckinsey, or Deloitte and focus on operations. Following 4-5 years in consulting, I would like to enter a large pharmaceutical company as a senior manager in their operations department.

Schools:
R1: H/S/W
R2: Sloan, Columbia, Yale

Additional:
As noted in the header I am the first in my family to go to college and grew up in a poor farming community. This is what I am going to write about in my essays.
Also have a misdemeanor for running from a house party in college 4 years ago.

Any suggestions to add/remove schools or how to better round out my candidacy would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks again!!
Expert Post

Re: Ask DreamMBA [#permalink] New post 17 Aug 2014, 14:51
Expert's post
thor5517 wrote:
Hi - Profile Eval? :)

Thanks in advance for your time. Any feedback is greatly apprecaited!

Overview: White Male/Male/24

GMAT: 740 ( Q50 V40 ) AWA 5, IR 8

Undergrad:
University of St. Thomas, 3.59 (3.65 Major), Major: Mechanical Engineering, Minor: Electrical Engineering, 3.03 GPA freshman year

Work Ex:
Worked for 1 year at 3M as a manufacturing engineer. Currently work for ZS Associates (consulting company) with a little over 1 year experience.
Most experience is in operations, reducing cylce time, etc...
Will have 3 years of experience at matriculation

Extra Curricular:
Started and instructed a non-profit youth fundamentals basketball camp. Instructed for over a year

Career Goals:
As pharmaceutical, biotech, and medical device companies have faced major challenges such as pricing pressures they have looked to operations to maximize profits. Therefore upon graduation I would like to work as a consultant for a top pharmaceutical consulting firm such as ZS Associates, Mckinsey, or Deloitte and focus on operations. Following 4-5 years in consulting, I would like to enter a large pharmaceutical company as a senior manager in their operations department.

Schools:
R1: H/S/W
R2: Sloan, Columbia, Yale

Additional:
As noted in the header I am the first in my family to go to college and grew up in a poor farming community. This is what I am going to write about in my essays.
Also have a misdemeanor for running from a house party in college 4 years ago.

Any suggestions to add/remove schools or how to better round out my candidacy would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks again!!

Dear Thor5517,

Looks like you have a competitive profile... Good GMAT score, GPA and work experience...

But still, I think you should mix your school choices with a few lower ranked schools: top 20. Admission at top schools is super competitive and sometimes luck factor always plays a strong role. Mixing slightly lower ranked schools will allow you to play safe.

That being said, you can wait a year more to apply to an MBA program. Try to show some career advancement at work (e.g. promotion) as it will improve your candidacy further.

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: Tepper '17, ISB '17
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.86
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 8

Re: Ask DreamMBA [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2014, 09:45
Hi!

To state the obvious, I would like to request a profile evaluation :)

My details :

Indian IT Male
30 months work-ex
GMAT : 720 Q50 V38

Engineering Graduate in Electronics and Communication from a Tier 2 college
Equivalent GPA 3.86
12th 85 %
10th 87 %

Post-MBA goal - Consulting, more towards Strategy

I will be grateful for your frank feedback. Thank you in advance!!
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Sustainability
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V39

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 6

Re: Ask DreamMBA [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2014, 20:07
-27 y/o Indian Male

-GMAT 710 (Q 81, V 88).....think I can improve this working on retaking this in first week of september

-Graduated in 2008 from a Cardiff Business School in UK with a degree in accounting and finance. Topped my degree in year one. My final year grade suffered as I had to skip almost 2 months of college because of my dads illness. Ended up with an upper 2.1 degree.

-planned on working in UK itself, post graduation, in order to gain some international work ex but had to move back to India because of my fathers death (2 weeks after end of college). In order to take care of family affairs, moving back was the only option.

-Since then have garnered 6 years experience of working in the business development and corporate strategy division of a firm with interests across hydropower, textiles and education. The firm has revenue in excess of $100 million. Have worked across all 3 sectors. Started out working as an analyst overseeing the development of a 5MW hydropower plant. This gave me a great insight into the workings of the infrastructure space in a developing country like India, where the lack of infrastructure is a major stumbling block. Moved next onto designing and implementing a plan for expanding the denim division within the cotton textile vertical. The expansion of the denim vertical division played a crucial role in providing a hedge to the textile business against the downturn in the other textile divisions (cotton yarn, woven fabrics, etc) during the post lehman crisis. Currently leading a team in implementing the expansion/diversification of the education vertical. The firm runs 4 B-schools and 1 higher secondary school in India. My idea of diversifying in the higher secondary space by utilizing the low cost franchising model of expansion. The idea for diversification was my brainchild from the start. The projects at a very advanced stage of implementation with one school having already opened up and 9 other agreements having been signed. I'm also the youngest at the firm in a senior managerial role.

-Extra curricular: work with one of the most prominent environmental NGO in the country. Have worked on various environmental research topics all through school and college. Currently drafting a letter that will be sent out to all the newly elected members of the Indian parliament, focusing on the urgent steps needed in the field of environmental conservation. Steps that will allow development of the economy while providing necessary safeguards for protecting the environment.
Also having lost my father to blood cancer I have organized and participated in blood donation camps as its a cause near my heart.
I was also responsible for redrafting and implementing the corporate social responsibility charter at the firm that I work at, with a focus on sanitation for the poor and improving female financial literacy.

-Short term goal: to make a transition to a top tier management consulting firm and work in new geographies (I know its a common post MBA goal). I'm inclined towards a career in sustainability and corporate social governance consulting with the consulting sphere. Coming up with a strategy and then executing it is something I do in my current role as well. But my role is currently confined more or less only to the Indian context. Post MBA I would definitely like to work outside of India. Working in the developed world (USA or Western Europe) will allow me to learn the best global practices in these sectors and this will come in handy when I eventually move back to India, seeing the long term requirement for expertise in these sectors.

-Target schools- Please suggest some schools that I can realistically look at applying to both in the US and Europe.

Looking forward to reading your perspective on where I stand.

Thanks & Regards
Expert Post

Re: Ask DreamMBA [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2014, 17:29
Expert's post
kaush777 wrote:
Hi!

My details :

Indian IT Male
30 months work-ex

Equivalent GPA 3.86
12th 85 %
10th 87 %

Dear Kaush777,

The high level information that you have provided, I think you would be a good applicant for schools ranked between 10-20, assuming that you can demonstrate good quality fo work experience and some extra-curriculars

MBA Application is more about overall picture and less about GPA and GMAT. If you can provide me some more information, I can provide you more directed feedback.

Thanks

Expert Post

Re: Ask DreamMBA [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2014, 17:29
Expert's post
kaush777 wrote:
Hi!

My details :

Indian IT Male
30 months work-ex

Equivalent GPA 3.86
12th 85 %
10th 87 %

Dear Kaush777,

The high level information that you have provided, I think you would be a good applicant for schools ranked between 10-20, assuming that you can demonstrate good quality fo work experience and some extra-curriculars

MBA Application is more about overall picture and less about GPA and GMAT. If you can provide me some more information, I can provide you more directed feedback.

Thanks

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received

Ask DreamMBA [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2014, 18:11
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
ramalo wrote:
-27 y/o Indian Male

-GMAT 710 (Q 81, V 88).....think I can improve this working on retaking this in first week of september

-Graduated in 2008 from a Cardiff Business School in UK with a degree in accounting and finance. Topped my degree in year one. My final year grade suffered as I had to skip almost 2 months of college because of my dads illness. Ended up with an upper 2.1 degree.

-planned on working in UK itself, post graduation, in order to gain some international work ex but had to move back to India because of my fathers death (2 weeks after end of college). In order to take care of family affairs, moving back was the only option.

-Since then have garnered 6 years experience of working in the business development and corporate strategy division of a firm with interests across hydropower, textiles and education. The firm has revenue in excess of $100 million. Have worked across all 3 sectors. Started out working as an analyst overseeing the development of a 5MW hydropower plant. This gave me a great insight into the workings of the infrastructure space in a developing country like India, where the lack of infrastructure is a major stumbling block. Moved next onto designing and implementing a plan for expanding the denim division within the cotton textile vertical. The expansion of the denim vertical division played a crucial role in providing a hedge to the textile business against the downturn in the other textile divisions (cotton yarn, woven fabrics, etc) during the post lehman crisis. Currently leading a team in implementing the expansion/diversification of the education vertical. The firm runs 4 B-schools and 1 higher secondary school in India. My idea of diversifying in the higher secondary space by utilizing the low cost franchising model of expansion. The idea for diversification was my brainchild from the start. The projects at a very advanced stage of implementation with one school having already opened up and 9 other agreements having been signed. I'm also the youngest at the firm in a senior managerial role.

-Extra curricular: work with one of the most prominent environmental NGO in the country. Have worked on various environmental research topics all through school and college. Currently drafting a letter that will be sent out to all the newly elected members of the Indian parliament, focusing on the urgent steps needed in the field of environmental conservation. Steps that will allow development of the economy while providing necessary safeguards for protecting the environment.
Also having lost my father to blood cancer I have organized and participated in blood donation camps as its a cause near my heart.
I was also responsible for redrafting and implementing the corporate social responsibility charter at the firm that I work at, with a focus on sanitation for the poor and improving female financial literacy.

-Short term goal: to make a transition to a top tier management consulting firm and work in new geographies (I know its a common post MBA goal). I'm inclined towards a career in sustainability and corporate social governance consulting with the consulting sphere. Coming up with a strategy and then executing it is something I do in my current role as well. But my role is currently confined more or less only to the Indian context. Post MBA I would definitely like to work outside of India. Working in the developed world (USA or Western Europe) will allow me to learn the best global practices in these sectors and this will come in handy when I eventually move back to India, seeing the long term requirement for expertise in these sectors.

-Target schools- Please suggest some schools that I can realistically look at applying to both in the US and Europe.

Looking forward to reading your perspective on where I stand.

Thanks & Regards

Dear Ramalo,

Thank you for such a detailed introduction.

GMAT: You have good GMAT score (it is balanced too). So don't worry too much about it.

Undergrad: You demonstrate the required academic skills. Solid justification for lower GPA at the end of your degree.

Work Experience: Solid. Relevant experience in Biz dev and Corp. Strategy differentiates you from typical Indian applicants. You have demonstrated good career trajectory by becoming the youngest senior manager in the company.

Extra Curricular: ECs involving some personal connection are always solid. If you can demonstrate continuity with the cause, it will be golden.

Career Goals: Sustainability and CSR are a bit too specific. Make sure that you clearly connect the dots in the story and mention what drove you to choose this career goal.

Target Schools: Your profile is impressive. You are a good fit for most top business schools. I would recommend you to consider INSEAD in Europe and Kellogg, Wharton, Booth, Ross, Duke, Tuck from US: Mainly top 10 schools with a couple of safety schools ranked between 10-20.

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Sustainability
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V39

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 6

Re: Ask DreamMBA [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2014, 03:16
Dear DreamMBA,

Thank you so much for taking out time and evaluating my profile in so much depth.
I just have 2 follow up questions, first is regarding my short terms goals. Do you think that being too specific, like I was when I wrote about getting into sustainability and CSR consulting is not necessarily advisable? Should I just talk about getting into management consulting at MBB firm instead?
Second question is regarding schools to apply to. In round one I'm contemplating applying to Insead, Darden, Sloan, Yale and Emory. Do you think the list is fairly balanced?

Thanks once again for the help.
Intern
Intern

Re: Ask DreamMBA [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2014, 10:26
AskDreamMBA wrote:
kaush777 wrote:
Hi!

My details :

Indian IT Male
30 months work-ex

Equivalent GPA 3.86
12th 85 %
10th 87 %

Dear Kaush777,

Thanks

Thanks a lot DreamMBA!

I have prepared a rough draft (extremely rough :)) describing me, my work-ex, ECs in a bit more detail. Have attached it with this post. If you can provide me the more direct feedback as you said, it will be extremely helpful.
Attachments

StoryDraft.docx [16.61 KiB]
Downloaded 2 times

To download please login or register as a user

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received

Re: Ask DreamMBA [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2014, 15:56
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
ramalo wrote:
Dear DreamMBA,

Thank you so much for taking out time and evaluating my profile in so much depth.
I just have 2 follow up questions, first is regarding my short terms goals. Do you think that being too specific, like I was when I wrote about getting into sustainability and CSR consulting is not necessarily advisable? Should I just talk about getting into management consulting at MBB firm instead?
Second question is regarding schools to apply to. In round one I'm contemplating applying to Insead, Darden, Sloan, Yale and Emory. Do you think the list is fairly balanced?

Thanks once again for the help.

Ramalo,

1. Being specific is good. But you should have a good justification for it. Your story should clearly tell why CSR/Sustainability is a good career goal for you.
2. Yes. I think this is a balanced list. Good luck.

Expert Post

Re: Ask DreamMBA [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2014, 16:03
Expert's post
kaush777 wrote:
AskDreamMBA wrote:
kaush777 wrote:
Hi!

My details :

Indian IT Male
30 months work-ex

Equivalent GPA 3.86
12th 85 %
10th 87 %

Dear Kaush777,

Thanks

Thanks a lot DreamMBA!

I have prepared a rough draft (extremely rough :)) describing me, my work-ex, ECs in a bit more detail. Have attached it with this post. If you can provide me the more direct feedback as you said, it will be extremely helpful.

Based on your extremely rough draft, I think your stories are very weak. You need major rework on stories in order to get accepted to MBA programs in 10-25 range. Top 1-10 would be stretch with your current work experience and ECs.

Another way would be to wait a couple of years and try building a strong profile for work experience and extra-curricular before applying to a top 10 school.

Intern
Intern

Re: Ask DreamMBA [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2014, 09:31
Thanks again DreamMBA!
Yes - that is what I feel as well - I do not quite have the story and the work ex to boast of. But I really can not wait - I need to do it next year.
I am anyways not targeting top 1-10, I was wondering whether I should even consider applying to the top 10-20 schools.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Ask DreamMBA [#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2014, 06:49
Hi DreamMba,

Is there something wrong with the website in your signature? I keep getting redirected to a pharmacy website.

My profile

Age 25 Years
Indian male with professional work experience of more than 3 years in one of the worlds largest IT firms in Bangalore India.
10th Standard: 82%
12th Standard: Maths with 73.2 %
GMAT Score 650 (planning to retake this month)
Undergraduate in Electronics 7.8 GPA out of 10 from a deemed university.
As an addendum I have done vulnerability research for companies like Microsoft Oracle and Adobe and they have my name published in there respective Hall of fames.

I am basically looking at MBA in Technology/Systems/Operations. I am also considering MIS but after 3 years of work experience I think doing an MBA makes more sense to move up the ladder. What are my options ?
Also my parents are financially not very sound so I am very interested in any scholarship or loan information.

Regards
Alok Saurabh
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.75
WE: Research (Energy and Utilities)

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

Ask DreamMBA [#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2014, 06:56
Hi ,

Could you please look at my profile too and help me figure out the schools in 3 categories -- stretch, target and safe

Hi,

I need the feedback on my MBA profile and realistic school options. All tips/comments are welcome

Profile :

Indian male, 27

Gmat - 730 (Q49, V40)

Under grad - passed with distinction in top 10% (approx 3.7)
Post grad- diploma in finance from Great Lakes (India )(AMBA approved )

Work ex -

Previous - 15 months with TCS
- implementing CORE BANKING SYSTEM in SBI and handling other IT details
Highlight - among top 5 in ILP training

Current - 39 months- senior research associate
Global oil and gas strategy
- forecasting major crude prices
- developing upstream and downstream databases forecasting supply for all OPEC non- OPEC countries
- forecasting demand based on GDP and other economic indicators
- writing reports on current market scenario

Highlight - top performer 3 years in a row
- developed model for crude price forecast based on supply outages in Iran

Extra curricular -

- won first prize in paper presentation in international level conference on systemics and cybernetics
- represented college in inter- collegiate chess tournament

Career direction- energy consulting or finance

Questions - which schools should I try for ?
Kellogg, fuqua , darden / Ross/ tepper ?

How many should I plan to apply to be safe ?

Whether us schools are better for my profile or insead/hkust is also a good option ?

Thanks in advance
Ask DreamMBA   [#permalink] 27 Aug 2014, 06:56