Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 01:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Ask HKUST Admissions

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Official Business School Representative
User avatar
Joined: 09 Aug 2011
Posts: 97
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 2

Re: Ask HKUST Admissions [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2013, 18:16
Hi Sayak57,

It is difficult for us to tell you how much chances you get just based on a few facts since the admissions decision will take into consideration the whole profile of the applicants including the work experience, academic background, GMAT score, work reference, essay writing and interview performance among other areas when assessing the applicants.

We suggest you to talk with one of our MBA advisors by signing up for a consultation session below both for you to know more about HKUST MBA and for us to learn more about your background and aspirations.

http://www.mba.ust.hk/asp/intake2014eve ... _cv.asp?at

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Kara
HKUST MBA Admissions Team


sayak57 wrote:
Hello,
I want some consultation on whether I am suitable for your college. I have 750gmat (q49,v42),good acads, indian male, have 3 yrs work ex(will have 4yrs by next july) as junior management in one of the biggest fortune 500 manufacturing companies, with more than 2yrs international work ex(2yrs USA, 2 months Thailand and 1 month Poland), fluent in English + 3 other indian languages and A1.1 basic proficiency in French. Lots of CSR work, medium level of extracurriculars in college(no sports though!), and diverse hobbies. How much of a chance would you say I have of getting accepted at HKUST?
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 18 Aug 2013
Posts: 1
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Ask HKUST Admissions [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2014, 11:48
Hi,
Greetings for the new year!
I am keen on applying to HK UST 2014 intake, though can do so only by the third round. Hence would like to understand the following -
1. Are the offers made equally split into the three rounds or the third round is mainly to make up for the remaining handful seats?

2. Does applying in the 3rd round reduce chances of getting a scholarship?

Looking forward to your reply

Regards,
Kriti

Posted from my mobile device Image
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 02 Jun 2014
Posts: 1
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Ask HKUST Admissions [#permalink] New post 02 Jun 2014, 02:14
Hi HKUST,

i'm texting you because i want to apply (for the season 2015-2016) for your msc in investment management. I know that this topic is for the MBA program, but i wrote an email to the investment management department without a reply.

So may i ask you more detail about the msc? or please, can you give me the correct email address?

Thanks in advance
Official Business School Representative
User avatar
Joined: 09 Aug 2011
Posts: 97
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 2

Re: Ask HKUST Admissions [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2014, 18:47
albmzz wrote:
Hi HKUST,

i'm texting you because i want to apply (for the season 2015-2016) for your msc in investment management. I know that this topic is for the MBA program, but i wrote an email to the investment management department without a reply.

So may i ask you more detail about the msc? or please, can you give me the correct email address?

Thanks in advance



Hi albmzz,

Thanks for your enquiry and interest in our MSc Program. Our admissions officer of the MSc program will approach you directly. If you have any question in the mean while, please feel free to contact the MSc program office at mscimft@ust.hk.

Kara
Marketing & Admissions, MBA Programs
HKUST Business School
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 02 Jun 2014
Posts: 24
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

Re: Ask HKUST Admissions [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2014, 11:51
Hi HKUST,

I am an Indian and have a background in Real Estate and Construction. I was keen on applying to HKUST for 2015 session. I aim to work in South East Asia (HK, Singapore) post MBA in Real Estate industry ( General Management, not specific to finance). I wanted to understand the following:

1. The employment report shows 2% working in Real Estate post MBA. Is it possible to disclose the companies of real estate which have recruited from HKUST this year?

2. I found the GREM programme with Wisconsin school of Business, quite interesting but it is almost in the other corner of the world. Could you shed some light, how much the program aligns with a career in Real estate in SE Asia? Are there alumni who have completed this exchange and then landed up a job in SE Asia?

Thanks in advance.
Official Business School Representative
User avatar
Joined: 09 Aug 2011
Posts: 97
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 2

Re: Ask HKUST Admissions [#permalink] New post 24 Jun 2014, 01:39
CommonMBApplicant wrote:
Hi HKUST,

I am an Indian and have a background in Real Estate and Construction. I was keen on applying to HKUST for 2015 session. I aim to work in South East Asia (HK, Singapore) post MBA in Real Estate industry ( General Management, not specific to finance). I wanted to understand the following:

1. The employment report shows 2% working in Real Estate post MBA. Is it possible to disclose the companies of real estate which have recruited from HKUST this year?

2. I found the GREM programme with Wisconsin school of Business, quite interesting but it is almost in the other corner of the world. Could you shed some light, how much the program aligns with a career in Real estate in SE Asia? Are there alumni who have completed this exchange and then landed up a job in SE Asia?

Thanks in advance.



Hi CommonMBApplicant,

Our recent graduates who are working in real estate industry usually work on investment funds and development in real estate investment firms. Our recent recruiters who hired our students for internship and graduate jobs included DLJ Real Estate Capital Partners, CERE, Mapletree and Tishman Speyer, etc.

GREM is a separate and optional program organised by Wisconsin School of Business for students to purse after they graduate from the MBA program. Students will gain Asian knowledge and business network while doing an MBA in HKUST, and learn in-depth knowledge of the global real estate industry through GREM program. The purposes and focuses are different for the two programs.

Please let us know if you have further questions.

Kara
HKUST MBA Admissions Team
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 26 May 2014
Posts: 4
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 5

Re: Ask HKUST Admissions [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2014, 04:48
Hi,

I have following undergraduate profile:-

6.95/10 in Mechanical Engineering from IIT-BHU(Varanasi).

Can you please suggest what should be my GMAT so that my application will be considerable.
Official Business School Representative
User avatar
Joined: 09 Aug 2011
Posts: 97
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 2

Re: Ask HKUST Admissions [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2014, 17:34
udayanmaurya wrote:
Hi,

I have following undergraduate profile:-

6.95/10 in Mechanical Engineering from IIT-BHU(Varanasi).

Can you please suggest what should be my GMAT so that my application will be considerable.



Hi udayanmaurya

As a point of reference, the typical GMAT range of our students is 610-730.

Let us know if you have any other questions.

Kara
HKUST MBA Admissions Team
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 29 Aug 2014
Posts: 1
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Ask HKUST Admissions [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2014, 05:43
Hi,

Am an Indian , with a 10+ Years of experience currently working in USA. I am planning for 2015 - 2016 term and by the time I am out of the college, my age will be 34.

I am looking for an answer to few questions here

1. How much role my age will play in getting admission to HKUST.

2. In the current batch, how many students are above 30

3. Would like to understand, how difficult will it be to get a placement considering my age. ( I am asking this as I am aware that US MBAs generally try to avoid a very senior profile as placement might be a worry post MBA ).

Looking forward to your Reply and Thanks for clarifying the doubts of all future aspirants.

Regards,
-Mani
Official Business School Representative
User avatar
Joined: 09 Aug 2011
Posts: 97
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 2

Re: Ask HKUST Admissions [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2014, 18:33
Hi Mani

The average age is 29 and the age range is 26- 32 for our students. For admissions, there are different areas that we will look at and it's in a holistic approach. So it's difficulty to give you advice on your profile/ chance just base on your age.

For placement, it really depends on your background, career goal, industry and function that you would like to go. It's more complex and there are more factors to consider.

Kara
HKUST MBA Admissions Team

hiitzmani wrote:
Hi,

Am an Indian , with a 10+ Years of experience currently working in USA. I am planning for 2015 - 2016 term and by the time I am out of the college, my age will be 34.

I am looking for an answer to few questions here

1. How much role my age will play in getting admission to HKUST.

2. In the current batch, how many students are above 30

3. Would like to understand, how difficult will it be to get a placement considering my age. ( I am asking this as I am aware that US MBAs generally try to avoid a very senior profile as placement might be a worry post MBA ).

Looking forward to your Reply and Thanks for clarifying the doubts of all future aspirants.

Regards,
-Mani
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 17 Jul 2014
Posts: 7
Schools: HKUST '17, HKU
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 11

Re: Ask HKUST Admissions [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2014, 06:18
Hi,

I'm an Indian Female doctor with around two years of work experience besides one year of compulsory rotatory internship after graduation.
I've had a good academic record and have been pretty active in extracurricular activities.
I'm based in HK right now and I'm planning to apply to HKUST for Full time MBA.

My detailed profile is as follows:


Dr. Garima Singh

GMAT Details:

• GMAT Score 680 (q47,v36). 1st Attempt
• AWA score: 5
• IR: 4

Graduation Details:

• MBBS (Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery) from a recognized Government Medical College in India in 2011.


Work Experience:
• 3 full-time years including an year of compulsory rotatory internship after graduation.


Work Related Details:

• An year of compulsory rotatory internship after graduation in a Government Civil Hospital in Jhansi, India.
• Two years of full time job as a resident in a private hospital owned by my family.
• Six months in District Hospital in Varanasi, India, in Maternity and Neonatal unit (Government-run).

Extra-Curricular Activities:

• authored a weekly health column in the local newspaper (India) for two years.
• Volunteered for Monthly Health Checkups for an orphanage.
• Volunteered in Remote Rural Health Camps periodically.


Do my scores and profile seem to qualify me to apply for the full-time MBA program? I’m a little anxious about my lesser work experience.

Thanks in advance.
Garima.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 25 Sep 2014
Posts: 1
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Ask HKUST Admissions [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2014, 10:12
Hi,

I am interested to apply for HKUST MBA. I noticed requirement for a minimum of two years full-time work experience. I was wondering, would my application still be considered if I have less than two years of work experience?

Thank you in advance
Official Business School Representative
User avatar
Joined: 09 Aug 2011
Posts: 97
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 2

Re: Ask HKUST Admissions [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2014, 17:48
Dear Garima

Thanks for your enquiry and thanks for sharing your profile here.

You are qualified for our MBA application. The only concern is your career goal. Our school would want to know how our MBA program would help you to achieve your career goal given your unique background.

Kara
HKUST MBA admissions team


garima138 wrote:
Hi,

I'm an Indian Female doctor with around two years of work experience besides one year of compulsory rotatory internship after graduation.
I've had a good academic record and have been pretty active in extracurricular activities.
I'm based in HK right now and I'm planning to apply to HKUST for Full time MBA.

My detailed profile is as follows:


Dr. Garima Singh

GMAT Details:

• GMAT Score 680 (q47,v36). 1st Attempt
• AWA score: 5
• IR: 4

Graduation Details:

• MBBS (Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery) from a recognized Government Medical College in India in 2011.


Work Experience:
• 3 full-time years including an year of compulsory rotatory internship after graduation.


Work Related Details:

• An year of compulsory rotatory internship after graduation in a Government Civil Hospital in Jhansi, India.
• Two years of full time job as a resident in a private hospital owned by my family.
• Six months in District Hospital in Varanasi, India, in Maternity and Neonatal unit (Government-run).

Extra-Curricular Activities:

• authored a weekly health column in the local newspaper (India) for two years.
• Volunteered for Monthly Health Checkups for an orphanage.
• Volunteered in Remote Rural Health Camps periodically.


Do my scores and profile seem to qualify me to apply for the full-time MBA program? I’m a little anxious about my lesser work experience.

Thanks in advance.
Garima.
Official Business School Representative
User avatar
Joined: 09 Aug 2011
Posts: 97
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 2

Re: Ask HKUST Admissions [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2014, 17:49
Dear ina11

I am afraid not.

Kara
HKUST MBA admissions team


ina11 wrote:
Hi,

I am interested to apply for HKUST MBA. I noticed requirement for a minimum of two years full-time work experience. I was wondering, would my application still be considered if I have less than two years of work experience?

Thank you in advance
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 07 Sep 2013
Posts: 1
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Ask HKUST Admissions [#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2014, 12:14
Hi Kara,

If you have time, please review my profile for suitability.

29 year old Asian-Canadian male, born in Canada. Parents emigrated from Hong Kong in the 90's.

GMAT 680 q45 v38
AWA score: unknown at the moment
IR: 7

Undergrad: Petroleum Engineering from a Canadian University

Work experience: 6 years as a petroleum/production engineer in onshore Canadian Operations in a variety of different oil fields (both office and field positions) in both a large integrated firm and a junior private firm.

Extra Curricular: Amateur competitive bodybuilder (6th place in a regional competition), variety of organized rec league sports (captain of a team, and league champions in two other teams), world traveling. Fluent in English & French, and basic fluency in Cantonese.

Goal: I would like to career switch into finance with a focus in Asia and am looking for a school with a strong student life and a diversity of experience/cultures . Would also like to experience studying abroad in Hong Kong.

Much appreciated.
Official Business School Representative
User avatar
Joined: 09 Aug 2011
Posts: 97
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 2

Re: Ask HKUST Admissions [#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2014, 22:52
Hi Sherwinli

Thanks for your post and thanks for sharing your profile here. You are qualified for our MBA application.

Making a switch into finance into Asia, apart from working hard in finance courses, you would also need to be very active in industry events to build you network in the field in Asia. Finance conference, the signature event organised by student finance club every year would also be helpful to you. Internship is also essential for your career switch. Companies like Goldman Sachs and Morgan Stanley recruit summer interns from our school. Joining those programs would be helpful for you as well.

In fact, we have a very strong network in finance industry in Asia. According to our employment statistic 2013, 82% of our graduates work in Asia and 40% is in finance industry.

Let us know if you have any other questions.

Kara
HKUST MBA admissions team


sherwinli wrote:
Hi Kara,

If you have time, please review my profile for suitability.

29 year old Asian-Canadian male, born in Canada. Parents emigrated from Hong Kong in the 90's.

GMAT 680 q45 v38
AWA score: unknown at the moment
IR: 7

Undergrad: Petroleum Engineering from a Canadian University

Work experience: 6 years as a petroleum/production engineer in onshore Canadian Operations in a variety of different oil fields (both office and field positions) in both a large integrated firm and a junior private firm.

Extra Curricular: Amateur competitive bodybuilder (6th place in a regional competition), variety of organized rec league sports (captain of a team, and league champions in two other teams), world traveling. Fluent in English & French, and basic fluency in Cantonese.

Goal: I would like to career switch into finance with a focus in Asia and am looking for a school with a strong student life and a diversity of experience/cultures . Would also like to experience studying abroad in Hong Kong.

Much appreciated.
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
1 HKUST MBA Intake 2015 Admissions Event hkustmba 3 08 Aug 2014, 00:42
21 Experts publish their posts in the topic Ask HKUST Admissions hkustmba 195 15 Aug 2011, 23:32
Experts publish their posts in the topic *Tomorrow!* HKUST MBA Admissions Q&A Accepted.com 0 28 Feb 2012, 07:21
Ask HKUST Admissions hkustmba 35 15 Aug 2011, 23:32
HKUST Hjort 0 02 Sep 2005, 17:01
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Ask HKUST Admissions

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   [ 196 posts ] 



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.