Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 16:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Ask HKUST Admissions

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, International Business
GMAT 1: 630 Q V
WE: Securities Sales and Trading (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 6

Re: Ask HKUST Admissions [#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2011, 22:16
Hi,

Is there an advantage in applying in R2 as opposed to R3? Will there be fewer seats available for R3 applicants?

I'm looking to schedule my GMAT exam for Dec7 to meet the Dec15 deadline. But with my work schedule, family and Christmas fast approaching, it's been very difficult to find time to study. I would prefer to apply in R3 and have the extra time to prepare for this test, but not at the cost of lower admission odds due to seat availability.

thank you.

A.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Official Business School Representative
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 2

Re: Ask HKUST Admissions [#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2011, 22:49
Hi Alistar,

The admissions chance really depends on the number and quality of candidates in that round. And from our past experience, the situation varies from year to year so it is difficult to tell whether there will be any difference in this year's admissions.

However, there are still two key differences between applying in R2 and R3:

1. R3 is set in a much later date. The admissions results may be available as late as Jun. The time can be very tight for international candidates to apply for student visa, quit their jobs and move to Hong Kong since class will start in early Aug. So we recommend international students to apply in R2.

2. Candidates applying in the first two rounds will have the priority in getting some of the scholarships.

We understand that the workload can be heavy for candidates to apply for an MBA and work at the same time. If you are only missing a GMAT score in your application, you can still submit your application and indicate the GMAT test date first by Dec 15. As long as you send us the score within 30 days after the deadline, we will still treat you as a R2 candidate. This way, you can take the test latest by Jan 15 (assuming you will send us the unofficial score report which you get after the test immediately).

HKUST MBA Admissions Team
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, International Business
GMAT 1: 630 Q V
WE: Securities Sales and Trading (Energy and Utilities)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 6

Re: Ask HKUST Admissions [#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2011, 23:56
Thank you for your quick response.
I wasn't aware that I could submit my GMAT score within 30 days after the deadline!
In this case, I will submit my application in time for R2 and my unofficial score before the end of the year.

Again, thank you very much!

A.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
Schools: INSEAD '14
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Re: Ask HKUST Admissions [#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2011, 01:58
hi - I have submitted my application for R1 and I very happy to have submitted a well thought out and a good application.

Only fact I want to know is - while over 15 days are over of R 1 deadline - how many interview calls would normally go for R1.

Also I am aware certain candidates have already received calls, is it because they had applied well before the deadline or is it in order of Merit.

please provide your views.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance
Schools: HKUST (S)
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.62

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 2

Re: Ask HKUST Admissions [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2011, 20:48
Hi Admissions team,

I have two questions:

1. Could you please share a list of China case studies? Is there any case related to public sector or SOEs?

2. May I check if there is a rough weightage of GMAT against the entire application, for both HKUST selection and scholarship consideration? I plan to retake GMAT to increase my chance but given other priorities, I'm not sure how much more time is reasonable to invest in this test.

Thanks!
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Ask HKUST Admissions [#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2011, 19:35
Do you have a rough estimate of how long it takes after the interview process before a decision is made on an applicant?

I recently had my interview and to be honest - not knowing the answer is almost as stressful as the actual application itself!

Re: Ask HKUST Admissions [#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2011, 23:21
Hi ignus99,

Hope you did well in the interview!

Usually, the decision will be sent out around a month after your interview date but there can be exceptions. All round one candidates will know the results latest by Feb 10, 2012.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Ask HKUST Admissions [#permalink] New post 12 Dec 2011, 08:55
Hi Team,

I am from India. In India banks such as Citi offer Experienced management associate (EMA) catering to slightly tenured 5-6yrs experience students. This program is a MA (Management associate) program but for seasoned professionals, as compared to a Management associate program for fresh graduates.

I hope banks/Financial institutes such as Standard Chartered offering Management Associate program has such variants for seasoned professionals and fresh graduates.

From the MA program specifics it wasn't clear if the program was tailored for fresh graduates or experienced professionals.

Please clarify, appreciate a prompt reply.

Re: Ask HKUST Admissions [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2011, 20:13
Hi thankgod999,

The management associate programs our graduates join are mostly targeted at MBA students. Since many MBA programs, including ours, only admit candidates with prior work experience, the associates at those programs are not fresh graduates.

Of course, we do not know if there are exceptions in which outstanding fresh graduates with no prior experience but have shown great potential have been recruited. Yet from our experience, those institutions always do separate campus recruitment for undergraduate and MBA students. HKUST undergraduate students join the management trainee/ graduate programs while our MBA students the management associate/international manager programs.

Intern
Intern

Re: Ask HKUST Admissions [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2011, 20:50
Thanks Team Admissions,

Even i was anticipating the same, but wanted to get a confirmation from your side.

Thanks again for your prompt response.
Intern
Intern
GRE 1: 1550 Q800 V750

Re: Ask HKUST Admissions [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2011, 20:22
Hiya,
Well I am a British national and have just finished applying to HKUST for a PhD. I think I am eligible for the 2nd round of admissions...730 in GMAT, good acads overall
Have a couple of questions. When can I expect to hear back from the admission committee?also not sure whether original transcripts are needed or the online ones will suffice.Also,if i can sponsor my studies myself,does that increase my chances of admission at all (my fiance is in Shanghai and I would much rather be near her and do my studies in an awesome institute,even if that means paying for myself)?
Lastly, should I email the Proffs or is that not needed?
Thanks,
A

Re: Ask HKUST Admissions [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2011, 23:56
Hi pazuzu,

At HKUST, different programs are handled by different teams. PhD programs will probably have different admissions requirements and procedures compared with our MBA programs. We encourage you to send an email to the office of your target program directly to get their view.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Ask HKUST Admissions [#permalink] New post 24 Dec 2011, 00:32
Hello,

I have read on other forums that R1 application results were communicated very soon, some received an interview call within a week of R1 deadline.

I don't see/hear/read the same for the R2 applications. Is it because of the holiday season around the R2 deadline or is it because R2 is a more vigorous process of of evaluation ?

Thanks!
Intern
Intern

Re: Ask HKUST Admissions [#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2011, 13:10
Hi

I applied in R1 - 2nd last day of deadline

I haven't received any correspondence from HKUST till date. (except that my application is complete and all supporting documents are successfully submitted)

On HKUST's website, 13 Jan is written as the last interview calling date. Does this mean, if I don't get an interview call by 13 Jan, I am rejected?

Also I know of students who applied in R1 last year and got an interview call in R3 and were accepted. Was the procedure different then? or this time also we can expect the same?

Why is there so much delay in interview calls?

Thanks a lot

Re: Ask HKUST Admissions [#permalink] New post 02 Jan 2012, 20:31
Hi coreaspirant,

By Jan 13, we will notify you whether you are shortlisted, rejected or put on the waiting list. Please understand that there is no delay in the interview notifications. Last year, R1 applicants were accepted in R3 because they were put in the waiting list. And they were informed of this status by the R1 interview notification deadline.

Intern
Intern

Re: Ask HKUST Admissions [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2012, 11:34
OK

Thanks a lot.
Intern
Intern

Re: Ask HKUST Admissions [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2012, 17:13
Hello hkustmba,

I just read that some of the R2 applicants have already gone through a round of interview.
Is there a criterion for the interview calls? From your previous posts I understood that the calls will be sent out in chronological order (R1 first and then R2).
Thanks !

Re: Ask HKUST Admissions [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2012, 17:37
Hi pchak,

While the applications are reviewed in a chronological order, it doesn't mean that the interview calls or interviews are handled in the same order. Here is a recap of our previous post on this matter.

Quote:
Generally speaking, the applications are reviewed in the order of their submission date. But it is actually very difficult for us to control whether the interview notifications are sent out in the same order.

Each application will be reviewed by different (and multiple) members of our admissions committee. Their different pace will give rise to different order when we send out the interview notifications after the admissions committee have found the candidate good enough to be shortlisted.

All the interview notifications for round one will be sent out by Jan 13, when candidates will know their final shortlisting status.

If there is any question, please let us know.

Intern
Intern

Re: Ask HKUST Admissions [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2012, 05:06
hkustmba,
Thanks for the info again.

Re: Ask HKUST Admissions [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2012, 18:06
Hi all,

For R2 applicants (unless you haven't submitted all the required info in time before which may result in a delay), we will send you emails on your shortlisting results (whether you are invited for interview or not) by next Friday, Feb 10. So remember to keep an eye on your mailbox these two weeks.

And HKUST MBA is ranked within the world's top 10 again for the third year in a row by Financial Times!

Here is a piece of related news by NASDAQ: [Asia] Come for the tropical climate, stay for your MBA

Read more: http://community.nasdaq.com/News/2012-01/come-for-the-tropical-climate-stay-for-your-mba.aspx?storyid=117629#ixzz1lBXi1iMW