Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Aug 2014, 06:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Ask IMD Admissions

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: Ask IMD Admissions [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2013, 07:19
This post received
KUDOS
To cmoi :

IMD MBA is one of the best MBA programs in the world, without doubt.
We need to be prudent about the rankings, which tend to make some very different business schools appear nicely ordered, but they cannot truly reflect all the features of the program, and sometimes even can be misleading, just like a journalist wants to rank all the restaurants in Paris, without having eaten in all of them.

Concerning the FT rankings of 2013, I saw the blog of an admitted student, whose quick analysis might make sense for you :

- If we look at the rank of 3 years’ average rank, IMD gets 12th place(see file attached), which is not so bad. In fact, the average rank of several years is more meaningful than that of just one year.

- IMD graduates get the highest average starting salary base in the world upon graduation (USD142K in 2011), while the PPP adjustment (FT methodology) disfavors this huge advantage.

- IMD MBAs’ salary pre-program is relatively higher than other schools', and the participants have more experience than other schools' ( IMD : average age 31y, Average work experience 7y), this lowers in certain degree the statistic result of salary increase post-MBA (65th place).

- Other indicators of the IMD program perform quite well, some even better than the other TOP schools.

To Lisa and Mark,

IMD delivers a MBA program of the highest quality in Europe, even in the world, the school has a strong brand name in Europe, but I do think that IMD could do better in terms of brand marketing and advertising, to increase its visibility not only in Europe but also in the rest of the world, for example, in the North and South of America, Asia, Africa… In return, more excellent students will apply for IMD : )
Attachments

Global MBA Rankings 2013.JPG
Global MBA Rankings 2013.JPG [ 127.6 KiB | Viewed 3060 times ]

1 KUDOS received
Official Business School Representative
Status: The IMD MBA - 90 exceptional people who will shape the future of business
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 14 [1] , given: 0

Re: Ask IMD Admissions [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2013, 05:54
This post received
KUDOS
Hi Everyone,

We are organizing an online event about financing an MBA. Janet Shaner, our Program Delivery Director, will be discussing finance options and solutions with an Alumnae and Participant.

Venue: Online Event
Date: Friday, 13 September 2013
Time: 15:00 - 15:45 CEST
Register: http://www.imd.org/programs/mba/Come-an ... 092013.cfm

Please feel free to register.

Best regards,

Mark

The IMD MBA
Tel: +41 (0)21 618 0298
Email: mbainfo(at)imd.ch

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Ask IMD Admissions [#permalink] New post 05 Nov 2013, 10:36
Hi,

I am of dilemma if my age or a academics will be a barrier. Below is my profile.
International exp: 7 years
Total exp till date: 12 years
Academics: 92% schooling, 59% bachelors, CPA
GMAT: 670 (to reappear in Jan)

Thanks
Status: The IMD MBA - 90 exceptional people who will shape the future of business

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

Re: Ask IMD Admissions [#permalink] New post 08 Nov 2013, 09:01
Hi,

It's your work experience the really counts. The work experience in the full-time is ~7 years and in the EMBA is ~15 years.
You could still be considered for our full time MBA but you would need to apply for the 2015 intake - application deadlines are Feb. 1, Apr. 1, June 1, Aug. 1, Sept. 1 2014. If you are planning in taking your MBA any later, you should consider the EMBA.

Best regards,

Mark

The IMD MBA

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT Date: 03-29-2014
GPA: 1
WE: Accounting (Accounting)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Ask IMD Admissions [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2013, 14:54
imdadmissions wrote:
Dear AshShukla,

You must have a Bachelor’s degree or equivalent from an accredited institution to apply to our MBA program. When applying, we need original transcripts or photocopies which are certified 'true copies of the original'. If your school can not provide transcripts, have a legal authority, such as embassies or notaries, certify a photocopy of your degree 'true copies of the original'. Thanks,

Mark

Thanks Mark but I am not sure you understood my question. I HAVE a degree from a recognised University in the UK but I can't produce transcripts from first 2 years of my degree as I took a transfer from University in India and they won't provide me the old transcripts as I didn't graduate from there. I have a FIRST CLASS honours degree and final year transcripts (from a very reputable uni in UK) - I just don't have first 2 years of transcripts.

Regards
Ash

Re: Ask IMD Admissions [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2013, 06:42
Dear Ash,

This is fine, as long as you have the transcript for the last year. Thanks!

Best regards,

Mark

The IMD MBA

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 2

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Ask IMD Admissions [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2013, 22:46
Hi IMDAdmissions,

I really think it's great that you are participating in the forums to help people out. I have tried to access the Assess Your Chances area of the website and I can't seem to complete it. I cannot access the application right now, and I was half way through.

Thought I'd like to assess my chances as I come from a different background and after looking at your programme, I strongly feel that its the right one for me. At this point, I could really use your advice as to if I should apply or not.

Work experience(summary):
Started 1st company when I was 17(trading company with India) whilst studying for my diploma, went to complete my Military National Service in the Singapore Armed Forces, did my Undergraduate Degree in Information Technology and Business Systems in Monash University, Worked as a Business Development executive, went on to work in a bank in HR(over a year contract) rotated departments so i learnt quite a bit of the HR business functions and currently working on a startup to build an online portal to teach entrepreneurship. Most of my work has been in the South East Asian and South Asian(India) region. I have also travelled extensively.

Academics: University did not have a GPA system, but rough estimate is close to 3.0
GMAT: 590 on first attempt and 580 on the second attempt.

Would really appreciate any advice I could get as to if I should apply as my background is different from a lot of your current students?

Thanks a million and sorry for the trouble.

Gurpal
Intern
Intern

Re: Ask IMD Admissions [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2014, 14:33
Hello IMDAdmissions:

Does IMD value the nature of work over a brand name, known-to-be-selective employer?

i.e.: If I am in a position to choose between having a leadership/business role in a smaller company vs. a technical, engineering role in an extremely selective organization, which experience will IMD consider more valuable?

Thanks.

Re: Ask IMD Admissions [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2014, 02:09
Hi,

In terms of career, in the application, we look for people with career progression, business experience and leadership potential. It’s a mix.

Keep in mind that it’s important for you to choose a position based on your desire and your goals. In your case, chose the position you favor the most, because whatever the choice, you will always be able to explain why. Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Mark

The IMD MBA

Intern
Intern

Re: Ask IMD Admissions [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2014, 06:19
Thank you Mark.

I have another questions that relates to career services, so it might or might not be appropriate for this thread: Based on the 2012 career placement statistics available, 16% of the people were placed in consulting. The big names in consulting (McKinsey, Booz, BCG) all appear in the list of companies that recruited at IMD. However, when I go to the websites of any of these companies, they don't show IMD as a target school and ask IMD candidates to apply through the normal resume submission process instead.

Any ideas on why this is? Could you please confirm if any of these companies recruited at IMD for the class of 2013?

Thanks

Re: Ask IMD Admissions [#permalink] New post 03 Feb 2014, 07:41
The top consulting companies come to IMD each year for recruitment. Both Mckinsey and BCG are Gold Recruitment Partners (company presentation followed by an evening networking cocktail, networking lunch, 1st round interviews on campus, etc...).

If you are interested in consulting companies, I suggest you speak to some of our Alumni. You can request a contact sheet here: http://link.imd.org/mba-alumni. Thanks,

Mark

The IMD MBA

Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 11

Re: Ask IMD Admissions [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2014, 11:26
IMD,

Thank you for your participation in this forum! I just submitted a profile evaluation and am looking forward to the feedback. I am an American looking to change job function, industry, and country. How difficult is it for non-EU students to find work in the EU? Is there anyone I can reach out to in order to get more information? Thanks again for your time and help!
1 KUDOS received

Kudos [?]: 14 [1] , given: 0

Re: Ask IMD Admissions [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2014, 01:38
This post received
KUDOS
Hi,

Thanks for submitting a profile evaluation. Regarding your placements, 71% of the 2012 class changed two or more dimensions of their career. For non-EU citizens, it is possible to work in Switzerland or the EU. It is hard to give a precise answer as it depends on a number of criteria, such as type of industry, role, job market etc… It would be good to speak to some of our Alumni, you can request an Alumni list here link.imd.org/mba-alumni.

Best regards,

Mark

The IMD MBA

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Ask IMD Admissions [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2014, 10:11
IMD,

I am very keen on pursuing the one year full time MBA with IMD. I would be appearing for the GMAT next weekend and then apply for the Jun 1 deadline at IMD. I have 10 years of experience and currently working at managerial level in IT industry. My age is 33. Though I am very clear that I want to go for Full Time MBA and not the EMBA, please let me know if my age/experience would pose a problem in my selection at IMD.

Thank You.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Re: Ask IMD Admissions [#permalink] New post 13 Apr 2014, 01:23
Dear Mark - Firstly, many thanks for representing IMD on this forum and for addressing queries!

I have a question slightly similar to the one above. I would like to know whether you would advise me to go for Full-time MBA or EMBA Program.

Age (at application): 34 Yrs
Education: Bachelor (4 Yr full-time, engineering), Masters + PhD (5 Yr full-time, management science). All degrees from Top Asian and European schools.
Work exp (at application): 2Yrs prior to PhD and 5 Yrs after PhD
Progression: In my 4 yrs (present) work experience after PhD within the firm (Energy company), I have grown extremely fast (several promotions, significant increase in budget & FTE accountability) and I am seriously considering MBA to broaden my skillset.

I have a strong preferrence for full-time MBA as I would like to take the time off for learning, development and reflection and would like to join back my employer but in a different funtion.

Appreciate your views. Many thanks!

Re: Ask IMD Admissions [#permalink] New post 14 Apr 2014, 00:25
Hi,

The work experience average for the full-time MBA is 7 years and 15 year for the EMBA.
In both cases, you would still qualify for the full-time MBA, 2015 intake. You could potentially consider the EMBA if you were interested.

Generally speaking, when you have more than 10 years of work experience, you tend to be in your mid-thirties and we generally advise to look into the EMBA, as it is more adapted. But in the current case, you can still consider our full-time MBA. Thanks.

By the way, if you have a doubt you can always use our Assess Your Chances form: http://link.imd.org/mba-ayc

Best regards,

Mark

The IMD MBA

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Ask IMD Admissions [#permalink] New post 21 Apr 2014, 03:09
Mark,

Thank you for your response.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Re: Ask IMD Admissions [#permalink] New post 21 Apr 2014, 06:12
Dear Mark - Thank you so much for responding to my query! My current work experience is 6 yrs (2 yrs prior to PhD and 4+ yrs post-PhD) and I intend to apply for 2016 intake as I would like to continue working in 2014 and 2015 (great development opportunities in my current role). I am definitely interested in full-time MBA and will apply with a work experience of 8 yrs.

I will also use Assess your chances form. Many thanks!

imdadmissions wrote:
Hi,

The work experience average for the full-time MBA is 7 years and 15 year for the EMBA.
In both cases, you would still qualify for the full-time MBA, 2015 intake. You could potentially consider the EMBA if you were interested.

Generally speaking, when you have more than 10 years of work experience, you tend to be in your mid-thirties and we generally advise to look into the EMBA, as it is more adapted. But in the current case, you can still consider our full-time MBA. Thanks.

By the way, if you have a doubt you can always use our Assess Your Chances form: http://link.imd.org/mba-ayc

Best regards,

Mark
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: Q V0
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 28

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Ask IMD Admissions [#permalink] New post 01 Jul 2014, 05:37
Dear Mark,
could you please let us know when the career statistics for 2013 year will be published.

Thanks

Ask IMD Admissions [#permalink] New post 03 Jul 2014, 06:32
Hi,

Regarding our career stats sheet, the final version is under review and should be published next week. I'll post the link on this forum.
Thanks!

Mark

Edit: As promised, please find the link to our latest career statistics
We are now using a three year average. The reason behind this is we want to increase the amount of career data we publish, such as the highest salary. With a small class of 90, we have to guarantee confidentiality behind some numbers and, for that reason, we need to work with a three average. For those interested in 2013 data, it will be published in rankings.

The IMD MBA

Last edited by imdadmissions on 14 Jul 2014, 07:00, edited 1 time in total.