Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 22:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Ask ISB Alumni @ ThinkISB

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
MBA Admissions Consulting
User avatar
Joined: 12 Sep 2009
Posts: 240
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: Ask ISB Alumni @ ThinkISB [#permalink] New post 05 Jul 2010, 09:54
vishnupr wrote:
thinkISB wrote:
vishnupr wrote:
Dear ThinkISB,
I am applying to ISB for the 2011-2012 year. Here is my profile:

GMAT:710(Q47,V40)
Acads: UG and PG in Mechanical Engineering, ranked 5th in a class of 48 in undegrad(GPA 8.9/10), masters from Stanford University (GPA 3.3/4)
Work exp: 3 years in the US (non-IT, product design and development in the semi conductor industry). Came back to India due to recession and haven't had much luck finding suitable profiles in India
Social work: volunteered with Vibha in the US. Revived the volunteering efforts for Vibha in Chennai, and led a team of almost 20 volunteers to teach English in schools around Chennai.
Extra curricular activities: long distance running, and ball room dancing.

What do you think are my chances?
cheers
Vishnu


Dear Vishnu,

Here is a brief eval;

Levels: Very Weak-Weak-Average-Fair-Strong-Very Strong

Analytical Horsepower: Strong
Note: A decent GMAT, a Master's from Stan :)


Work Ex: Weak-Average
Note: Lot of explaining to do. Do you have a job now? Were you sagged?

Extra Curriculars: Average
The NGO activity is decent. You can show a good involvement.

Please describe the work ex part. This needs a re-look.

A more detailed explanation of my work exp:
Worked in a small company (40 people) after graduation, providing engineering support, writing technical articles and training customers.

Then switched to a semi conductor firm, and worked on designing new products (increased "availability" of products to a really high degree). Led a team to create a working demo of a new product for the biggest trade show. Was laid off when my employer filed for bankruptcy. Unemployed as of now.


Dear Vishnu,

Your work ex looks decent. It needs a better understanding to give you a clear evaluation that will require a discussion with you. But as of now, it looks like you can show decent progress at work, while demonstrating leadership skills via proactive contribution and team efforts. Your unemployment, although is a result of sheer consequences not in your control, may still need some explanation. Your time now is precious. Make sure you utilize it to the fullest.

Hope this helps.

For a detailed understanding and evaluation of your profile, do contact us at +91 9010917222 or mail us at contact@thinkisb.com
_________________

ThinkAdmit

EMAIL: info@thinkadmit.com
PHONE: +91 7838998299

Read our blog | Ask ThinkAdmit
Follow us on Twitter | Follow us on Facebook

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
MBA Admissions Consulting
User avatar
Joined: 12 Sep 2009
Posts: 240
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: Ask ISB Alumni @ ThinkISB [#permalink] New post 05 Jul 2010, 10:02
arory wrote:
Hi thinkisb

Kindly evaluate my profile

GMAT-680 (Q48 V35) (This ws my 3rd attempt and is the highest of the 3 scores.)
Academics:-B Engg (Chemical)
Work-ex:-
1yr in father's bottling manufacturing business.
4 yrs Financial Advisory experience in a Big 4 firm. Worked on various corporate finance engagements.
Achievements at work:
-Promoted from Management Trainee to Assistant Manager within a yr. A double promotion as I ws expecting the level of Consultant which is prior to Asst. Mgr.
-Lead team on few successful corporate finance engagements (Private equity funding)
Extra-curriculars:-
Was an active quizzer and debater at school.
Fitness conscious. Trained for and succesfully completed the 21km half marathon in Mumbai.
Won various tournaments in table tennis at school, college and club level.

I know my GMAT score is on the lower side of the band. However if i do endeavour to give it again I will most certainly miss the first deadline. Further I am concerned about giving it a 4th time. I do not know how the Adcom will view it. Besides I dont think I will be able to exceed by more than 30 points.
I shud be done with my essays by end July.
Kindly advise what my course of action shud be.

Thanks and Cheers-Arjun


Dear Arjun,

Here is a brief eval;

Levels: Very Weak-Weak-Average-Fair-Strong-Very Strong

Academic & Analytical Horsepower: Average
For your work experience in family business and Big 4, 680 is a decent score. do not fret over it. Concentrate on your chances and do not even think of writing it again. With limited information on academics, we rate you average (we do not know your undergrad performance and pedigree)

Work Ex: Fair-Strong
Note: You have shown good career progression. Your experience with Big 4 is a plus. However, there are some subjective aspects that go into evaluating one's work ex like leadership and team experiences. These have to come out effectively in the essays. Think of some examples and bring them out effectively in the application.

Extra Curricular: Fair-Strong
You have shown good involvement outside of work in sports and fitness. Your marathon training is a plus and will act as a differentiating aspect of your application. You seem to have quite few accomplishments in sports as well at various levels.

Again, since you are so worried about your GMAT, do not worry about it. it is fine. Concentrate on your essays now. You stand a good chance if you focus on your overall application. All the best.
_________________

ThinkAdmit

EMAIL: info@thinkadmit.com
PHONE: +91 7838998299

Read our blog | Ask ThinkAdmit
Follow us on Twitter | Follow us on Facebook

1 KUDOS received
MBA Admissions Consulting
User avatar
Joined: 12 Sep 2009
Posts: 240
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 24 [1] , given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: Ask ISB Alumni @ ThinkISB [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2010, 10:53
1
This post received
KUDOS
Dear All,

@bigoyal at GMATClub has given us an opportunity to guide prospective applicants through a direct channel.

On Saturday 17th of July 2010 10:00 am India Time, all of us at thinkISB will be present live on GMATClub Chat to answer all your queries regarding ISB Admission process, application, essays and anything about ISB. This chat session would be available on GMATClub chat http://gmatclub.com/chat/. Do feel free to participate and invite your friends who are planning to apply. And as bigoyal said, if you want anything specific to be covered, please PM him and we'll get that resolved for you.

Do visit this thread for more information: scheduled-chat-with-isb-alumni-17-jul-10-00-am-india-time-96870.html

At thinkISB, we are a group of ISB alumni who guide applicants through the ISB application process. We believe the best person to guide is the one who understands your background better than anyone else. He/she will be the one who will give you the most constructive feedback. That is why we have a network of ISB alumni across industries and we connect you to the advisor with a similar background.

All the best to all the applicants,
ThinkISB
_________________

ThinkAdmit

EMAIL: info@thinkadmit.com
PHONE: +91 7838998299

Read our blog | Ask ThinkAdmit
Follow us on Twitter | Follow us on Facebook

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 28 Jul 2009
Posts: 15
Schools: ISB, INSEAD
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Ask ISB Alumni @ ThinkISB [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2010, 11:08
Hi thinkISB,

I'm appllying for R1 and below is my profile.

Work :
Software Developer working in Big Blue.
WE : 4 years (by July '10)

Responsibilities :
Worked as a key member in a project team with +120 members. resolved many complex issues and got appreciations from managers and client. Groomed new members in my team and helped 'em in areas of some advanced technologies.
Successfully completed two big assignments in my next project as a sole developer from a particular domain, was involved in designing and some decision making part, acted as the main coordinator for a team with members scattered around India and Canada.
Currently into product development and enhancement in team of 3 members serving more than 30 thousand users worldwide.

Other feats:
Promoting our product - conducting tele-conf training sessions for employees all over India.
Presentation session in account management level ( where our product got nominated for presentation in all-India managers' meet ).
Volunteering in other organizational events and CSRs.

Acads:

X : 80%
XII : 78.4%
B.Tech in Civil Engineering ('06) : 75.1% (non IIT)
GMAT : 750 (Q49 V44)

EC:
School level : Nil
College level : Quizzing, Volunteering in social events.

Areas of concern :
1. Lack of ECs in school and college.
2. No leadership experience to be showcased.
3. No international exposures till date.

Now apart from profile evaluation I've some specific questions :

1. I want to switch to SCM / Sustainable development and want my MBA to be an enabler to do so. But I don't have any formal education or experience on the same (my first project was on complex logistics operations but there was very little scope for me to acquire domain knowledge) . Do you think this fact can be viewed negatively by ISB adcom? Also I'm planning to enroll for a 6-month certification course in Logistics mgmt offered by CII. Do you think mentioning that in my application can give me an edge over thousands with I-I-M profile?
2. Do I need to produce recos only from my current leads/ managers? (For some reasons I don't want my current lead / manager to get involved in this app process). Otherwise I can get very good recos from my previous leads.
3. Besides ISB, keeping in mind specialization in SCM, any other schools you suggest me to apply to ?( have some financial constraints, so opting out US schools).
4. Can a relatively low percentile in Q ( 87 ) and ordinary AWA score (5.0) become a deterrent ?
5. Any other add-on would be a bonus :lol:

Thanks a lot in advance for your patience to read the whole story :P and for your valuable feedback.

cheers,
sF.

Last edited by somFrodo on 26 May 2011, 09:13, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 07 Jul 2010
Posts: 19
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Ask ISB Alumni @ ThinkISB [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2010, 18:22
Dear ThinkISB,

Would be great if you could please evaluate my profile:

Age: 28

GMAT: 730, AWA 5.5

Work Ex: ~ 6 years (in April 2011)
Sector: Financial Services. At present a Manager with HSBC. Leading a 7 member team to provide risk analytics solutions to HSBC's retail banking business. Prior to this worked with Citibank's risk team. Significant bottom line impact in these two organisations through devising and implementing strategic solutions.
I also possess about 1.5 years experience in management consulting with the Merger & Acquisitions Integration team at Deloitte Consulting India Pvt. Limited..

Education: MS (Quantitative Economics) from Indian Statistical Institute, B. Sc. (Economics) from Presidency College (Kolkata). Among the top 2% in my undergraduate studies. Both ISI and Presidency College are top schools in Economics in India. XII: 81%, X: 83%.

Extra Curriculars: Strong. 1) Susbstantial community service over the last 4 years. Significant contribution in the expansion of an NGO in the last 4 years. 2) In the process of establishing the departmental alumni association in my undergraduate college. 3) Sole representative from the corporate sector in the Executive Committee of the Alumni Association of ISI.

Till now I am looking primarily at ISB. I want to switch over to a risk management role covering a wider domain than just retail banking. My present work ex entails risk management for just retail banking.

Last edited by faduc on 07 Jul 2010, 22:27, edited 2 times in total.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 07 Jul 2010
Posts: 1
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Ask ISB Alumni @ ThinkISB [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2010, 21:08
Dear ThinkISB,

Here is my profile.
Acads:
Xth 90%
Xiith 80%
BTech. IIT Delhi- elec Eng 7.3 CGPA
MTech IIT Delhi - ICT CGPA : 7.5
(It was a 5 year dual degree course)

Worked for total of 3 years in 2 startups in the IT Field.
The second startup was very small with only 6 peoople, but was incharge of a complete line of products there.
Limited international exposure of 3 months in US on client consulation with microsoft.

Currently running my own product based software startup with 5 employee. the product is ready and are focussing on sales efforts right now. Have been working on this for the last 2 yrs now.
Total exp at Aprl 2011, 5 years.

Extra curics is very limited and nothing much to boast about.

Also did CFA Level 1 .

I always wanted to run my own enterprise in software product, and worked toward it fromt he begining by joining startups. Our company is currently making products for the defence sector and we are hoping for our first sale int he next couple of months.
MBA Admissions Consulting
User avatar
Joined: 12 Sep 2009
Posts: 240
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: Ask ISB Alumni @ ThinkISB [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2010, 23:29
somFrodo wrote:
Hi thinkISB,

I'm appllying for R1 and below is my profile.

Work :
Software Developer working in Big Blue.
WE : 4 years (by July '10)

Responsibilities :
Worked as a key member in a project team with +120 members. resolved many complex issues and got appreciations from managers and client. Groomed new members in my team and helped 'em in areas of some advanced technologies.
Successfully completed two big assignments in my next project as a sole developer from a particular domain, was involved in designing and some decision making part, acted as the main coordinator for a team with members scattered around India and Canada.
Currently into product development and enhancement in team of 3 members serving more than 30 thousand users worldwide.

Other feats:
Promoting our product - conducting tele-conf training sessions for employees all over India.
Presentation session in account management level ( where our product got nominated for presentation in all-India managers' meet ).
Volunteering in other organizational events and CSRs.

Acads:

X : 80%
XII : 78.4%
B.Tech in Civil Engineering ('06) : 75.1% (non IIT)
GMAT :
1st attempt (Aug 09) : 670 (Q49 V32)
2nd attempt (June 10) : 750 (Q49 V44)

EC:
School level : Nil
College level : Quizzing, Volunteering in social events.

Areas of concern :
1. Lack of ECs in school and college.
2. No leadership experience to be showcased.
3. No international exposures till date.

Now apart from profile evaluation I've some specific questions :

1. I want to switch to SCM / Sustainable development and want my MBA to be an enabler to do so. But I don't have any formal education or experience on the same (my first project was on complex logistics operations but there was very little scope for me to acquire domain knowledge) . Do you think this fact can be viewed negatively by ISB adcom? Also I'm planning to enroll for a 6-month certification course in Logistics mgmt offered by CII. Do you think mentioning that in my application can give me an edge over thousands with I-I-M profile?
2. Do I need to produce recos only from my current leads/ managers? (For some reasons I don't want my current lead / manager to get involved in this app process). Otherwise I can get very good recos from my previous leads.
3. Besides ISB, keeping in mind specialization in SCM, any other schools you suggest me to apply to ?( have some financial constraints, so opting out US schools).
4. Can a relatively low percentile in Q ( 87 ) and ordinary AWA score (5.0) become a deterrent ?
5. Any other add-on would be a bonus :lol:

Thanks a lot in advance for your patience to read the whole story :P and for your valuable feedback.

cheers,
sF.


Dear sF,

Here is a brief eval;

Levels: Very Weak-Weak-Average-Fair-Strong-Very Strong

Academic & Analytical Horsepower: Strong
Needless to say why.

Work Ex: Average
A growth path coming out.


Extra Curricular: Weak
You have to shown good involvement and passion outside of work. Think of something/anything you are passionate about. There will be something.

EC is an area of concern.

I want to switch to SCM / Sustainable development and want my MBA to be an enabler to do so. But I don't have any formal education or experience on the same (my first project was on complex logistics operations but there was very little scope for me to acquire domain knowledge) . Do you think this fact can be viewed negatively by ISB adcom? Also I'm planning to enroll for a 6-month certification course in Logistics mgmt offered by CII. Do you think mentioning that in my application can give me an edge over thousands with I-I-M profile?

You MUST mention that. It would show how interested you are in pursuing your goal.

2. Do I need to produce recos only from my current leads/ managers? (For some reasons I don't want my current lead / manager to get involved in this app process). Otherwise I can get very good recos from my previous leads.

That will do. But you have to choose a current peer, someone you are working with.

3. Besides ISB, keeping in mind specialization in SCM, any other schools you suggest me to apply to ?( have some financial constraints, so opting out US schools).

You can apply for scholarships. The good GMAT score that you have will come in handy. US schools like Tepper, Michigan, Ohio may give you scholarships. They are great in logistics and SCM. Other than that European schools like INSEAD (great), IE can be looked into.

4. Can a relatively low percentile in Q ( 87 ) and ordinary AWA score (5.0) become a deterrent ?

No.
_________________

ThinkAdmit

EMAIL: info@thinkadmit.com
PHONE: +91 7838998299

Read our blog | Ask ThinkAdmit
Follow us on Twitter | Follow us on Facebook

MBA Admissions Consulting
User avatar
Joined: 12 Sep 2009
Posts: 240
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: Ask ISB Alumni @ ThinkISB [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2010, 23:34
duskndreamz wrote:
Dear ThinkISB,

Here is my profile.
Acads:
Xth 90%
Xiith 80%
BTech. IIT Delhi- elec Eng 7.3 CGPA
MTech IIT Delhi - ICT CGPA : 7.5
(It was a 5 year dual degree course)

Worked for total of 3 years in 2 startups in the IT Field.
The second startup was very small with only 6 peoople, but was incharge of a complete line of products there.
Limited international exposure of 3 months in US on client consulation with microsoft.

Currently running my own product based software startup with 5 employee. the product is ready and are focussing on sales efforts right now. Have been working on this for the last 2 yrs now.
Total exp at Aprl 2011, 5 years.

Extra curics is very limited and nothing much to boast about.

Also did CFA Level 1 .

I always wanted to run my own enterprise in software product, and worked toward it fromt he begining by joining startups. Our company is currently making products for the defence sector and we are hoping for our first sale int he next couple of months.


Dear duskndreamz,

You have a good profile.

Acads: Strong
Work ex: Strong
EC: Weak; But I'm sure you can work it out with a little introspection.

One BIG question any adcom will have for you:

Why MBA now? Your company needs you to make it grow in the initial stages. Who will take care of this?

Be ready for that.

Otherwise, ISB would like someone with an entrepreneurial experience.
_________________

ThinkAdmit

EMAIL: info@thinkadmit.com
PHONE: +91 7838998299

Read our blog | Ask ThinkAdmit
Follow us on Twitter | Follow us on Facebook

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 08 Jul 2010
Posts: 1
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Ask ISB Alumni @ ThinkISB [#permalink] New post 08 Jul 2010, 02:01
Dear Think ISB, I'm a reapplicant and could'nt make it to even the i/v on the previous occassion. I took time off to improve my profile and have been out of the circuit for a while now. This is how my profile stands now:

Workex: Have been with L&T's construction division all through and following is my career progression in chronology:

Domestic Workex (1.5 yrs):
Construction Engineer: Constructed buildings in one of India's biggest IT park projects. Managed close to 200 workmen of various skill categories.

Executive to implement an operations excellence programme at project sites across TN & Kerala: Was working in a small group associated with a Business Consulting firm taken on board for the programme.

Int'l workex (2.5 yrs):
Headed the Project Management Office for a high rise commercial building in Dubai and successfully handedover the project at a higher profit margin. A 3 member team was reporting to me. (Applied to ISB during this assignment)

Exec Assistant to a BU Head: Was part of a small team to set up a new Business Unit for infra operations of our company in Gulf. Within 1 yr we won projects in Oman & UAE and are currently networking with major clients in Gulf. Prepared Business / Strategy plans for infra business of our company in gulf, in association with a high end business consultant. Currently I work with cross country teams placed in 4 Gulf countries.

Acads:
X : 81%
XII : 72%
Civil Engineering (2004) : 62%
PG Diploma in Construction Management (2006): 8.6 CGPA

GMAT: Applied with a score of 650 in R2 of Co 2010 admissions (rejected w/o interview)
Scheduled an appointment in August '10 and expect a 700+ this time

Extra currics
Active cricket and basketball player since school. Have won some BB torneys at college.
Was very active in literary & Public speaking competitions since college.
Went on to establish and head quite a few clubs in Engg college and some of them are still running.
Student rep for the last 2yrs in Engg and organized events involving statewide colleges.
Student President during the PG studies.
Also won a few quiz and other competitions at L&T

Have been consecutively promoted within a span of 1 1/2 yrs and consistently rated as a top performer at work.

I'm looking for a Finance specialty in MBA. Post MBA, I intend to stay in construction / infra industry and execute new project funding and business models.

Request you to assess my candidature for Co 2012 and indicate how I should approach my application essays. I thought my essays played a spoil sport on the previous occassion and this was evident in the feedback as well. I also feel that my current profile in itself could be a USP as I had to undergo an internal screening process to be an Exe Assistant. Also, please indicate a good GMAT score I should aim at.

Thanks a tonn
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 01 Feb 2010
Posts: 268
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: Ask ISB Alumni @ ThinkISB [#permalink] New post 08 Jul 2010, 08:35
Hi ThinkISB,

Request your help with my profile evaluation.

Age : 30
Nationality : Indian
Experience : 7yrs (8 by the time session starts)
GMAT : 1st Attempt - 620 (49Q, 26 V, Awaited AWA). Jul’10
Undergrad : B.Sc(Hons) Physics Delhi University.
PostGrad: MCA from Indraprastha University (80%)
Areas of Interest: Consulting, Finance

Experience details (Total Exp – 7yrs. Employer – Tech Mahindra, TCS, HCL)
1. Domain Experience: Telecom, Networking
2. Role: Designer
Also mentoring junior team members.

International Exposure:
1. Worked as Onsite Cordinator for 10 months. A good recomendation from Client on that role.
2. Worked in US and Germany.

Extracurricular:
@college:• Volleyball team member. College Champion.
@work:• Several awards from Client and my company.

Target Colleges:
- IIMA PGPX
- ISB
- Kellogg
- Columbia

This list of colleges is before I gave my GMAT. Well I am not sure if my GMAT score is worthwhile to apply in these colleges or not.
1. Should I go for another GMAT attempt?
2. Or if there is a chance with this score where I can try. 3. What can be my USP as I belong to the largest community of students applying in MBA.
4. Where I can improve on my profile other than GMAT score.

Thanks in advance for your time and effort.
MBA Admissions Consulting
User avatar
Joined: 12 Sep 2009
Posts: 240
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: Ask ISB Alumni @ ThinkISB [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2010, 04:27
faduc wrote:
Dear ThinkISB,

Would be great if you could please evaluate my profile:

Age: 28

GMAT: 730, AWA 5.5

Work Ex: ~ 6 years (in April 2011)
Sector: Financial Services. At present a Manager with HSBC. Leading a 7 member team to provide risk analytics solutions to HSBC's retail banking business. Prior to this worked with Citibank's risk team. Significant bottom line impact in these two organisations through devising and implementing strategic solutions.
I also possess about 1.5 years experience in management consulting with the Merger & Acquisitions Integration team at Deloitte Consulting India Pvt. Limited..

Education: MS (Quantitative Economics) from Indian Statistical Institute, B. Sc. (Economics) from Presidency College (Kolkata). Among the top 2% in my undergraduate studies. Both ISI and Presidency College are top schools in Economics in India. XII: 81%, X: 83%.

Extra Curriculars: Strong. 1) Susbstantial community service over the last 4 years. Significant contribution in the expansion of an NGO in the last 4 years. 2) In the process of establishing the departmental alumni association in my undergraduate college. 3) Sole representative from the corporate sector in the Executive Committee of the Alumni Association of ISI.

Till now I am looking primarily at ISB. I want to switch over to a risk management role covering a wider domain than just retail banking. My present work ex entails risk management for just retail banking.



Dear Faduc,

Apologies for the delay. Please find a brief profile eval;


Levels: Very Weak-Weak-Average-Fair-Strong-Very Strong

Academic & Analytical Horsepower: Strong
It has been consistent. That is something Mr. Kannan would appreciate a lot. There are extra credit points for consistent performances and also for good institutions. The post graduation is again a positive. GMAT is great.

Work Ex: Fair
The M&A consulting experience will be a good one to showcase to the adcom. Since you are looking for a similar role in a different setting (out of retail banking), this experience will be something you can always bank upon to display transferable skills.

EC: Fair
The 4 year long involvement in an NGO speaks of the fact that you are dedicated and are passionate about this. This is something that can come in one of your essays as it will paint a totally different picture of your persona.

Overall, you are a strong candidate. But please do remember that as far your goals is concerned, an ISB MBA would make you more of a generalist than a specialist risk consulting advisor for, say an I-bank. The adcom will ask you to justify why you want to choose ISB.
_________________

ThinkAdmit

EMAIL: info@thinkadmit.com
PHONE: +91 7838998299

Read our blog | Ask ThinkAdmit
Follow us on Twitter | Follow us on Facebook

MBA Admissions Consulting
User avatar
Joined: 12 Sep 2009
Posts: 240
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: Ask ISB Alumni @ ThinkISB [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2010, 04:49
rar wrote:
Dear Think ISB, I'm a reapplicant and could'nt make it to even the i/v on the previous occassion. I took time off to improve my profile and have been out of the circuit for a while now. This is how my profile stands now:

Workex: Have been with L&T's construction division all through and following is my career progression in chronology:

Domestic Workex (1.5 yrs):
Construction Engineer: Constructed buildings in one of India's biggest IT park projects. Managed close to 200 workmen of various skill categories.

Executive to implement an operations excellence programme at project sites across TN & Kerala: Was working in a small group associated with a Business Consulting firm taken on board for the programme.

Int'l workex (2.5 yrs):
Headed the Project Management Office for a high rise commercial building in Dubai and successfully handedover the project at a higher profit margin. A 3 member team was reporting to me. (Applied to ISB during this assignment)

Exec Assistant to a BU Head: Was part of a small team to set up a new Business Unit for infra operations of our company in Gulf. Within 1 yr we won projects in Oman & UAE and are currently networking with major clients in Gulf. Prepared Business / Strategy plans for infra business of our company in gulf, in association with a high end business consultant. Currently I work with cross country teams placed in 4 Gulf countries.

Acads:
X : 81%
XII : 72%
Civil Engineering (2004) : 62%
PG Diploma in Construction Management (2006): 8.6 CGPA

GMAT: Applied with a score of 650 in R2 of Co 2010 admissions (rejected w/o interview)
Scheduled an appointment in August '10 and expect a 700+ this time

Extra currics
Active cricket and basketball player since school. Have won some BB torneys at college.
Was very active in literary & Public speaking competitions since college.
Went on to establish and head quite a few clubs in Engg college and some of them are still running.
Student rep for the last 2yrs in Engg and organized events involving statewide colleges.
Student President during the PG studies.
Also won a few quiz and other competitions at L&T

Have been consecutively promoted within a span of 1 1/2 yrs and consistently rated as a top performer at work.

I'm looking for a Finance specialty in MBA. Post MBA, I intend to stay in construction / infra industry and execute new project funding and business models.

Request you to assess my candidature for Co 2012 and indicate how I should approach my application essays. I thought my essays played a spoil sport on the previous occassion and this was evident in the feedback as well. I also feel that my current profile in itself could be a USP as I had to undergo an internal screening process to be an Exe Assistant. Also, please indicate a good GMAT score I should aim at.

Thanks a tonn



Dear rar,

Please find a brief eval;

Levels: Very Weak-Weak-Average-Fair-Strong-Very Strong

Academic & Analytical Horsepower: Average


Work Ex: Fair
You are correct in saying that you are somewhat unique. I commend you on how you have planned it all. You can easily go into infrastructure financing. Hence it becomes a role shift in the same industry. The adcom will like it.


Extra Curricular: Average
You have to show continued involvement, which I could not gauge. The adcom would want to know what are you doing now as far as EC is concerned.

A GMAT score of about 700 will definitely do.

Good luck!!
_________________

ThinkAdmit

EMAIL: info@thinkadmit.com
PHONE: +91 7838998299

Read our blog | Ask ThinkAdmit
Follow us on Twitter | Follow us on Facebook

MBA Admissions Consulting
User avatar
Joined: 12 Sep 2009
Posts: 240
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: Ask ISB Alumni @ ThinkISB [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2010, 05:02
bangalorian2000 wrote:
Hi ThinkISB,

Request your help with my profile evaluation.

Age : 30
Nationality : Indian
Experience : 7yrs (8 by the time session starts)
GMAT : 1st Attempt - 620 (49Q, 26 V, Awaited AWA). Jul’10
Undergrad : B.Sc(Hons) Physics Delhi University.
PostGrad: MCA from Indraprastha University (80%)
Areas of Interest: Consulting, Finance

Experience details (Total Exp – 7yrs. Employer – Tech Mahindra, TCS, HCL)
1. Domain Experience: Telecom, Networking
2. Role: Designer
Also mentoring junior team members.

International Exposure:
1. Worked as Onsite Cordinator for 10 months. A good recomendation from Client on that role.
2. Worked in US and Germany.

Extracurricular:
@college:• Volleyball team member. College Champion.
@work:• Several awards from Client and my company.

Target Colleges:
- IIMA PGPX
- ISB
- Kellogg
- Columbia

This list of colleges is before I gave my GMAT. Well I am not sure if my GMAT score is worthwhile to apply in these colleges or not.
1. Should I go for another GMAT attempt?
2. Or if there is a chance with this score where I can try. 3. What can be my USP as I belong to the largest community of students applying in MBA.
4. Where I can improve on my profile other than GMAT score.

Thanks in advance for your time and effort.


Dear bangalorian2000,

Please find a brief eval;

Levels: Very Weak-Weak-Average-Fair-Strong-Very Strong

Academic & Analytical Horsepower: Weak
The GMAT is too low. Other aspects are average.

Work Ex: Average-Fair
The domain expertises will work well. I am sure you can chalk out a good job role tree for you.


Extra Curricular: Weak-Average
The adcom would want a detailed involvement in something. So you have to re-think on this. Please note that I have limited info on this.


Now the answers to you Qs;

1. Should I go for another GMAT attempt?
Yes
2. Or if there is a chance with this score where I can try.
I suggest you re-take the GMAT.

3. What can be my USP as I belong to the largest community of students applying in MBA.
Go through our blog post (http://www.thinkisb.com/blog/2010/05/15 ... -stronger/). You will find that you can easily write something to satisfy the first 2 criteria.

4. Where I can improve on my profile other than GMAT score.
ECs. Think about how you can project yourself here.
_________________

ThinkAdmit

EMAIL: info@thinkadmit.com
PHONE: +91 7838998299

Read our blog | Ask ThinkAdmit
Follow us on Twitter | Follow us on Facebook

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 13 Jul 2010
Posts: 1
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Ask ISB Alumni @ ThinkISB [#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2010, 01:55
Hi ThinkISB,

I am so glad that you are here for help.

Request to please evaluate my profile .

Work Exp : 6 yrs in IT industry in india with one of the Top MNCs here . Have worked for few months in Overseas exposure (in USA) as Senior Software Engineer.

Presently handling the team of 5 members. Have worked on various medical product development mainly on the wireless domain.

Have submitted two ROI (Record of Invention) to the company , eventually company would file for the patents.

Have been awarded "Excellence in Work" for amazing quality of work and dedication.

Academics:

B.E in Electronics and communication with an aggregate of 72%
10 : 86% (State Board)
12 : 80% (State Board)


Extra Curricular : Been a very good throw ball player. Have been a throw ball player even at my work.Great passion towards stamp collection. Been a yoga practioner since childhood.

GMAT : Planning to take by October.

With this profile, what is the minimum GMAT score i should target to join ISB?

My dream is to join ISB , which are the other factors i should keep in mind ?


Thanks a lot for the help
ashu
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 12 Jun 2007
Posts: 128
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 2

Re: Ask ISB Alumni @ ThinkISB [#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2010, 12:44
Hi ThinkISB,

Request your help with my profile evaluation.

Age : 25
Nationality : Indian
Experience : 4+ yrs (5 by the time session starts)
GMAT : 10th Aug, 2010
Undergrad : BE, Mechanical (Delhi College of Engineering, 2006)

Areas of Interest: Consulting

Experience details (Total Exp – 4+ yrs. Employer – Maruti Suzuki, PricewaterhouseCoopers)
1. Domain Experience: Manufacturing (2.25 years)
2. Domain Experience Role: Assistant Manager, Procurement SCM
3. Consulting Experience : ERP Functional Consultant, Logistics Subject matter expert ( 2 years -- till now)
4. Role: Consulting role with ERP (SAP) practice

International Exposure:
1. Did a 3 month Business Consulting Project with a steel giant

Average Extracurriculars

Extra@work:

1. Represented company at National Management games, India
2. Member of core team responsible for planning and execution of activities at Auto-expo'08

Academics:

Xth = 85.6%
XIIth = 85.6%
College = 68.11%

Target Colleges:
- ISB
- Kellogg
- MIT
- Harvard

Also i am currently planning to shift to another Big4 company which offers a much more challenging consulting profile. Does this impact my admission ?

Thanks in advance for your time and effort.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 14 Jul 2010
Posts: 1
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Ask ISB Alumni @ ThinkISB [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2010, 23:24
Hello ThinkISB,

Please take out some time to evaluate my profile for ISB.

Age : 27
Nationality : Indian
Experience : 4+ yrs
GMAT : 710, Retaking it in August
Undergrad : BTech(ECE) I.P. University Delhi

Areas of Interest: Technology, Product Marketing

Experience details : Total Exp – 4+ yrs.
Current Industry : Semiconductors
Current Role : Senior Software Engineer
I hold a very diverse position in my current company i.e. I am a Certified Trainer, Quality Manager of my team, certified ISO Auditor and lastly Software Developer.
Have been awarded many times individually and even as a part of a team.

Extracurriculars

@work:

1. Captain of the Department Football team. We were the runners up in an inter department competition.
2. Some social causes at work.
3. Technical & Behavioral trainer.

@personal
1. Did some social work personally, have been involved in this for over 1 1/2 years. Have been leading some projects here too.
2. Football @ college level.
3. Projects @ college level. I was the leader in my team and we managed to represent our college at the university level.
4. Other miscellaneous leadership roles, though very small.

Academics:

Xth = 80.8%
XIIth = 70%
College = 72%

Could you please provide an unbiased opinion of my profile and what GMAT score should i be targeting to get an edge over the other.
Thanks in advance for your time and effort.
MBA Admissions Consulting
User avatar
Joined: 12 Sep 2009
Posts: 240
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: Ask ISB Alumni @ ThinkISB [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2010, 06:42
ashushetty wrote:
Hi ThinkISB,

I am so glad that you are here for help.

Request to please evaluate my profile .

Work Exp : 6 yrs in IT industry in india with one of the Top MNCs here . Have worked for few months in Overseas exposure (in USA) as Senior Software Engineer.

Presently handling the team of 5 members. Have worked on various medical product development mainly on the wireless domain.

Have submitted two ROI (Record of Invention) to the company , eventually company would file for the patents.

Have been awarded "Excellence in Work" for amazing quality of work and dedication.

Academics:

B.E in Electronics and communication with an aggregate of 72%
10 : 86% (State Board)
12 : 80% (State Board)


Extra Curricular : Been a very good throw ball player. Have been a throw ball player even at my work.Great passion towards stamp collection. Been a yoga practioner since childhood.

GMAT : Planning to take by October.

With this profile, what is the minimum GMAT score i should target to join ISB?

My dream is to join ISB , which are the other factors i should keep in mind ?


Thanks a lot for the help
ashu


Dear ashushetty,

Please find a brief eval;

Levels: Very Weak-Weak-Average-Fair-Strong-Very Strong

Academic & Analytical Horsepower: Fair
You stand above average in academic aspects. Your ROI adds more weight to demonstrate your analytical skills. However, more details regarding the relevance and impact of the ROI would be expected in the application.

Work Ex: Average-Fair
The domain expertise sounds good. More details would be required to give a detailed analysis in this area. Make sure you describe your role well in the application.

Extra Curricular: Average-Fair
With the limited info, you seem to be a well rounded person with interests in sports and yoga. To supplement these, make sure you demonstrate enough knowledge in the areas to showcase your interests. In addition, the level of interest needs to be shown. For that, show your success in an area by selecting a reference.

We strongly encourage you to apply to ISB.

All the best.
_________________

ThinkAdmit

EMAIL: info@thinkadmit.com
PHONE: +91 7838998299

Read our blog | Ask ThinkAdmit
Follow us on Twitter | Follow us on Facebook

MBA Admissions Consulting
User avatar
Joined: 12 Sep 2009
Posts: 240
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: Ask ISB Alumni @ ThinkISB [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2010, 02:40
smartmundu wrote:
Hi ThinkISB,

Request your help with my profile evaluation.

Age : 25
Nationality : Indian
Experience : 4+ yrs (5 by the time session starts)
GMAT : 10th Aug, 2010
Undergrad : BE, Mechanical (Delhi College of Engineering, 2006)

Areas of Interest: Consulting

Experience details (Total Exp – 4+ yrs. Employer – Maruti Suzuki, PricewaterhouseCoopers)
1. Domain Experience: Manufacturing (2.25 years)
2. Domain Experience Role: Assistant Manager, Procurement SCM
3. Consulting Experience : ERP Functional Consultant, Logistics Subject matter expert ( 2 years -- till now)
4. Role: Consulting role with ERP (SAP) practice

International Exposure:
1. Did a 3 month Business Consulting Project with a steel giant

Average Extracurriculars

Extra@work:

1. Represented company at National Management games, India
2. Member of core team responsible for planning and execution of activities at Auto-expo'08

Academics:

Xth = 85.6%
XIIth = 85.6%
College = 68.11%

Target Colleges:
- ISB
- Kellogg
- MIT
- Harvard

Also i am currently planning to shift to another Big4 company which offers a much more challenging consulting profile. Does this impact my admission ?

Thanks in advance for your time and effort.


Dear smartmundu,

Please find a brief eval;

Levels: Very Weak-Weak-Average-Fair-Strong-Very Strong

Academic & Analytical Horsepower: Fair
Your XII percentage is good, but performance in DCE is low. If percentile/rank tells a different story, do mention that. Target above 700 in your GMAT.

Work Ex: Fair-Strong
You belong to the manufacturing domain and we believe you posses strong domain knowledge. In addition, you seem to have performed well at work. Your participation at the Auto Expo says that, but we do not yet know the level of participation. As a side note, you need to demonstrate good knowledge of Logistics and SCM since you are a subject matter expert in that area. Prepare on this aspect for the interview.

Extra Curricular: Average
You mentioned participation in National Management Games. This is not sufficient enough information for us to comment on. Answer the following questions for yourself: What was the level of participation? Why you? Was there a selection process for the same? What did you achieve? What else do you do apart from your work?

Another aspect that we found weak in your description is your career goals. You are currently working with a Big 4 and planning to shift to another. You are already doing consulting and seem to successful at that. Then why do you want to do an MBA? You mention consulting but you are already doing that? Is an MBA required in your industry to succeed? Is it just a brand name OR a degree that you are seeking to add in your resume?

You need to prepare a strong and convincing story to connect your long term goals with MBA and not other way round. With your strong profile, if you work on this aspect, we're sure you'll succeed.

We strongly encourage you to apply to ISB.

All the best.
_________________

ThinkAdmit

EMAIL: info@thinkadmit.com
PHONE: +91 7838998299

Read our blog | Ask ThinkAdmit
Follow us on Twitter | Follow us on Facebook

MBA Admissions Consulting
User avatar
Joined: 12 Sep 2009
Posts: 240
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: Ask ISB Alumni @ ThinkISB [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2010, 08:30
Dear All,

Please go through our latest blog post on the Hottest of topics : Why MBA?

http://www.thinkisb.com/blog/2010/07/19/why-mba/
_________________

ThinkAdmit

EMAIL: info@thinkadmit.com
PHONE: +91 7838998299

Read our blog | Ask ThinkAdmit
Follow us on Twitter | Follow us on Facebook

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 13 Jul 2010
Posts: 1
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Ask ISB Alumni @ ThinkISB [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2010, 06:11
Hello ThinkISB

I am harsh and i want to apply for class of 2011.

GMAT : 710 (planning to give second try in august)

Academic :
10th : 82%
12th : 77%
Btech : 8.54
I have done my btech from Indian Institute of Information technology -allahabad and awarded Btech with honors.

work-ex : 3 years in Cisco ,working on products of telecom domain (by april 2011).
-I have won many awards and recognition (from management as well as from team).Also i am rated among top performers consistently.
- I will get a good recommendation from my managers also.
- did vendor management and i was responsible for delegation of issues to other team members and at the same time mentor new joinee
- i am doing component management using efforts of 3 contract employees and my job involves assigning and prioritize their work .
- Currently working on project which involves protocol implementation and my involvement is very visible .


Extra Curricular:
- i was member of U-15 and U-17 cricket team and participated in state level tournament
- Member of cultural committee of my college and had responsibility of getting sponsorships for college fest
- member of basket ball and cricket team in college.

Extra curricular at work
-At work i am team lead of university relations committee which maintains relations with some university on behalf of cisco.
- I was responsible for creation of electronic display board which showcases ongoing activities of my business unit ,same has been adapted by other departments.

So can you please evaluate my profile and tell me what should be target gmat score.
Re: Ask ISB Alumni @ ThinkISB   [#permalink] 20 Jul 2010, 06:11
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
7 Ask ISB Admissions ISBAdmissions 1 13 Jun 2014, 07:43
ISB aspirants - Ask Apphelp Apphelp 2 08 Jun 2014, 06:23
1 Ask about ISB thinkadmit 18 06 Jun 2010, 02:23
8 Experts publish their posts in the topic Please join me in welcoming ThinkISB to GMAT Club bb 123 20 Sep 2009, 02:21
What to ask adcom/alumni at school admission events? gmatmba 6 19 Oct 2006, 04:48
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Ask ISB Alumni @ ThinkISB

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10    Next  [ 182 posts ] 



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.