Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 22:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Ask Ivy App Success (submit your profiles for evaluation)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 2

Re: Ask Ivy App Success (submit your profiles for evaluation) [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2010, 14:50
Nationality: Iranian
Current job industry: Banking
Bachelor's Degree: University of Tehran (#1 in Iran) in "Theoretical Economics"
GPA: 18/20 (I know but that's how it's calculated there :-D , I don't think it's right to just put 3.6/4, doesn't really mean the same, does it?)
GMAT: 690 (Q49, V35)
Work experience: 4 years
1. one year accounting in a British Iranian oil company (Iran)
2. one year and 3 months accounting at a British school for expats (Iran)
3. one year 4 months assistant to the business development manager at a telecom company (Toronto)
4. 4 months of working at a bank as a teller (current job)

I wanna know if I qualify for good schools in US and also where I can get some advice for writing my essays. Thanks a lot!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Ask Ivy App Success (submit your profiles for evaluation) [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2010, 20:07
Hi,

Below is a summary of my profile. I elaborated a bit since my situation is bit complicated. Any feed back would be greatly appreciated!

Nationality: Korean

Age: 23 (25 at matriculation - planning to apply for Fall 2011 admit)

Undergrad GPA: 3.04 at CMU. I was an architeture major for 3 years, switched to a interdisciplinary program (somewhat unique to CMU- basically a self developed combo of arts and humanities) my last year. I had 2 very rough semesters (one in my 1st yr, one in my 2nd) one of which was probably just a lack of maturity, and the second was influenced by a personal tragedy. the courses i did poorly in were design classes (not really relevant to MBA), and I made the deans list of my school my third year, so I did well in my last two years, am i am hoping i can address the 2 bad semesters in my optional essay.

GMAT: (Q47 V40) 710

Work Experience: 1+ years (should be over 2.5 by matriculation) at a small IT firm. I was promoted 3 times within a year. I actually began in a mainly administrative person (had difficulty finding a job when i graduated in 2008 right before the market crash and was unsure of what i wanted to do at the time) and am now the accounting manager. It is a bit long to explain because there are actually three companies (same owners) that share the same office, so i do work for all three companies at varying levels, and i have additional duties besides accounting that i undertake as well that involve working with pretty much all of the different departments (tech, sales, legal, etc). My concern is that since it is a very small company (less than 15 employees) its difficult to demonstrate much leadership experience, as the corporate ladder is very short.

Extra curricular activities: none at present worth mentioning, but several in undergrad, including leadership positions in a variety of student groups and volunteer experience

Future goals/ why i want an MBA: I have no background in business, have never taken any business classes, and as my undergrad degree is pretty irrelevent, i feel an MBA would provide the foundation that i need to progress. Given my design/creative background, i would like to work in a creative field/industry, but am no longer interested in a creative/design function, if that makes sense. I would like to focus on marketing, with a job in product management or product development to start.

Thank you!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Ask Ivy App Success (submit your profiles for evaluation) [#permalink] New post 14 Feb 2010, 08:31
GPA: 4.0/4.3 from an Ivy League school
GMAT: haven't taken yet, but expecting something like 750
Work experience: 2 years
Extracurriculars in school:
-on the board of one of the school's honor societies
-tutored math, physics and chemistry for years

I don't have very long work history, nor do I have strong recommendations. What are my chances of getting into schools like Harvard, Warton, Stanford and Sloan?

Thanks so much for answering !!
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Ask Ivy App Success (submit your profiles for evaluation) [#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2010, 03:23
Hi

Kindly evaluate my profile for richard ivey
I have done B E in electrical engineering..
scored 68% in graduation.
work ex- 4yrs (software engineer)
gmat 610 :(

filed patents while in job
online diploma from WIPO in Intellectual property rights
green belt in six sigma
excellent extra curri.
founder memeber of a NGO
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Ask Ivy App Success (submit your profiles for evaluation) [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2013, 12:49
Hi, would love any professional feedback I can get on my profile.

-I'm 27 yr old white male from the US
-Attended Cornell/Columbia/Brown/Penn and had 3.5 in History & Chinese Language
-720 GMAT, skewed towards verbal with I believe 98th verbal and 77th quant (roughly)
-Post grad 6 months in London working for Tishman Speyer (top real estate developer)
-Moved to Shanghai afterword and spend ~3.75 yrs in real estate private equity (small but reputable firm, partners include former goldman, carlyle, etc.)
-Moved to the middle east and have been here ~1 yr working at a top sovereign wealth fund (leading international player), covering asia including aus, japan, china, hk, etc... substantial international travel throughout region, high comp, generally very good / high exposure type job

-perceived weaknesses: few EC's in college (though i was involved, no positions, etc.), low quant on GMAT and non-quant UG major (though theoretically this is mitigated somewhat by the fact that I build financial models all day and work in high finance so am clearly okay on math), GPA not an eyesore but nothing great either

-perceived strengths: ivy league graduate, currently work at renowned organization with considerable pedigree, consistent career path in buyside real estate, language skills and vast international exposure (travel constantly for work and have closed deals in 5 countries), legacy at CBS (thanks dad)

Shooting for Wharton / HBS / Booth / Columbia

Thanks,
Re: Ask Ivy App Success (submit your profiles for evaluation)   [#permalink] 16 Jul 2013, 12:49