Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Aug 2014, 01:30

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Ask MBA Crystal Ball - Indian Candidates

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
WE 1: 3 (Mining Operations)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 33

Re: Ask MBA Crystal Ball - Indian Candidates [#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2010, 03:38
Hii Sameer,

Please evaluate my profile. I am about to apply to ISB ( 2nd Round)
The profile features are :
1) Academic Background:
a) Engineering: Mining Engineering (8.13)
College : Indian School of Mines.
Academic Achievements:
a) 4 Gold Medals : World Mining Congress (London)
: W.H.Pickering ( Mining, Geological and
Metallurgical Institute of India )
: 2 University Gold Medals.
b) 2 National level Research papers. (One getting implemented at Tata Steel)
c) Branch Position : 1 st in a batch of 41.
d) Good Extracurricular activities. (University Blue Basketball)

Professional Experience:
Company : Tata Steel.
Total Exp : 3 Years.
Professional Achievements :
1) Division representative in Tata Steel.
2) Leader of Emergency Team in UG Fire.
3) Mountaineering Uttarkashi : A Grade. (15000 feet)
4) Manager (Operations) : Lead a team of 256 Mining Associates.
5) Manager (Development): Mine planning of 280 MT Material Output Mine.
6) Manager (Knowledge Management) (additional).

2) I have resigned from Tata Steel and started my own social venture. Its at pilot level, and trying to obtain funds from Venture capitalists.The project is addresses basic needs of farmers as well as has great business feasibility.

Well friends, there are other features also, but I think this should suffice. My Gmat Scores are:
GMAT 1: 640 (Q 50, V 27 ). AWA 5.0.
GMAT 2: 710 (Q 50, V 35 ). AWA 5.5.

I would be obliged, if I can have your comments and critical evaluation of my profile.

I am targetting the following universities:
1) ISB 2011 (Round 2).
2) Kellog.
3) Wharton.
4) Yale.
5) INSEAD.

All you comments are most valuable. Please do leave your comments.

Thanks in advance friends....
Praveen

Regards,
Invincible...:)
"The way to succeed is to double your error rate."
"Most people who succeed in the face of seemingly impossible conditions are people who simply don't know how to quit."

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 26

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 9

Re: Ask MBA Crystal Ball - Indian Candidates [#permalink] New post 17 Oct 2010, 04:23
sandy2012 wrote:
Hi Sameer,

Request you to evaluate my profile.

Key data points
Indian
31/Male
GMAT 640 (Q48, V29, AWA 6.0)
8 Years of experience

I currently work with the software division of SIEMENS, and I lead the marketing & communications initiatives for the division in India. During my 5 years with the company, I have had a number of assignments that has impacted the business in India.

:
:
I guess this was too detail a post, sorry about that.

My question to you 1. Which schools should i apply? 2. DO i need to re take GMAT?

Look forward to your inputs.

Thanks and best regards,

Sandy

Hey Sandy,

Some big structural changes happening out there with SISL, huh?

Before we jump into your queries, a quick one from my side.

Are you currently in the Worli office or in Bangalore?

Sameer Kamat | Founder - MBA Crystal Ball | Email: info at mbacrystalball dot com

Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

Re: Ask MBA Crystal Ball - Indian Candidates [#permalink] New post 17 Oct 2010, 04:37
praveenism wrote:
Hii Sameer,

Please evaluate my profile. I am about to apply to ISB ( 2nd Round)
The profile features are :
1) Academic Background:
a) Engineering: Mining Engineering (8.13)
College : Indian School of Mines.
Academic Achievements:
a) 4 Gold Medals : World Mining Congress (London)
: W.H.Pickering ( Mining, Geological and
Metallurgical Institute of India )
: 2 University Gold Medals.
b) 2 National level Research papers. (One getting implemented at Tata Steel)
c) Branch Position : 1 st in a batch of 41.
d) Good Extracurricular activities. (University Blue Basketball)

Professional Experience:
Company : Tata Steel.
Total Exp : 3 Years.
Professional Achievements :
1) Division representative in Tata Steel.
2) Leader of Emergency Team in UG Fire.
3) Mountaineering Uttarkashi : A Grade. (15000 feet)
4) Manager (Operations) : Lead a team of 256 Mining Associates.
5) Manager (Development): Mine planning of 280 MT Material Output Mine.
6) Manager (Knowledge Management) (additional).

2) I have resigned from Tata Steel and started my own social venture. Its at pilot level, and trying to obtain funds from Venture capitalists.The project is addresses basic needs of farmers as well as has great business feasibility.

Well friends, there are other features also, but I think this should suffice. My Gmat Scores are:
GMAT 1: 640 (Q 50, V 27 ). AWA 5.0.
GMAT 2: 710 (Q 50, V 35 ). AWA 5.5.

I would be obliged, if I can have your comments and critical evaluation of my profile.

I am targetting the following universities:
1) ISB 2011 (Round 2).
2) Kellog.
3) Wharton.
4) Yale.
5) INSEAD.

All you comments are most valuable. Please do leave your comments.

Thanks in advance friends....
Praveen

Praveen, I am Sameer's partner and we've been helping Indian candidates for a while now. In my opinion, you've got a pretty good profile (good undergrad, different work-ex, TATA name, social venture). You would sail through in a school such as ISB with the right set of essays.

For the other schools you mention, some international experience usually helps. Though the TATA name is pretty good (courtsey JLR and Corus) in the global corporate circle these days. Other thing that you need to be cognizant about is the years of work-ex (and a relatively modest GMAT); this is a bit on the lower side from intl. b-school perspective. You'll need to put in some amazing essays to get the audience hooked on to you.

Hope this helps. Cheers!

MG (Manish Gupta)|The MBA Crystal Ball Team
Email: mcb at mbacrystalball dot com

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Ask MBA Crystal Ball - Indian Candidates [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2010, 06:02
Hi crystal ball masters...
It would be of great help if you could evaluate my profile.
Applying to:
1. ISB R2
2. Great lakes.
3. SP jain pgdm
Profile:
10th-80%(assam state board)
12th 69%(assam state board) :oops: --thought was not imp at dat time as engg entrance separate.
Mechanical engg from NIT jamshedpur- 8.56/10
wanted to join only a core company and did not sit for any IT comps.
Work ex: july 2006-present in Larsen and Toubro-almost 5 years in april 2011.
Domain: Marine structure and ship design. Provides consultancy to Ship builders and owners.
Was promoted to team lead within a year. Lead a team of 10 ppl for a mega ship building project(one of a kind in India)
since then involved in many projects for Indian navy etc.
At present workin as Asst. manager.
Reason for MBA after being in core engineering for 5 years: Was not in the race for MBA till recently-dint do the CAT thingy..Was happy with my job.
But realized that a MBA is needed for career advancement. to break a sort of glass ceiling dat exist.
Post MBA: wants to stay in my core engineering field but at a managerial level with greater responsibility.
Also dont mind getting into business development for an engineering firm.
In short: want to use my MBA as a spring board for the leap. Hence an executive MBA from the best-ISB.

EC: cricket captain for school and NIT team. Member of L&T team
Also a football goal keeper throughout and m still in my company team.
But nothing great to show off....
Passion: travelling-biking-done crazy stuff in here-travelled arround the country on bike-just for the heck of it..photography--hence mostly found on my bike with my camera in the himalayas.
But nothing much in the community service side......

But here is the problem bit:
GMAT 1st attempt:690 (48q,35v)

Should I appear again(have time till 20th nov)...because i know i can get atleast 720s.

Please advice...if its enough for my preferred schools.
Manager
Manager

Re: Ask MBA Crystal Ball - Indian Candidates [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2010, 18:22
sajibbaruah wrote:
It would be of great help if you could evaluate my profile.
Applying to:
1. ISB R2
2. Great lakes.
3. SP jain pgdm
Profile:
10th-80%(assam state board)
12th 69%(assam state board) :oops: --thought was not imp at dat time as engg entrance separate.
Mechanical engg from NIT jamshedpur- 8.56/10
wanted to join only a core company and did not sit for any IT comps.
Work ex: july 2006-present in Larsen and Toubro-almost 5 years in april 2011.
Domain: Marine structure and ship design. Provides consultancy to Ship builders and owners.
Was promoted to team lead within a year. Lead a team of 10 ppl for a mega ship building project(one of a kind in India)
since then involved in many projects for Indian navy etc.
At present workin as Asst. manager.
Reason for MBA after being in core engineering for 5 years: Was not in the race for MBA till recently-dint do the CAT thingy..Was happy with my job.
But realized that a MBA is needed for career advancement. to break a sort of glass ceiling dat exist.
Post MBA: wants to stay in my core engineering field but at a managerial level with greater responsibility.
Also dont mind getting into business development for an engineering firm.
In short: want to use my MBA as a spring board for the leap. Hence an executive MBA from the best-ISB.

EC: cricket captain for school and NIT team. Member of L&T team
Also a football goal keeper throughout and m still in my company team.
But nothing great to show off....
Passion: travelling-biking-done crazy stuff in here-travelled arround the country on bike-just for the heck of it..photography--hence mostly found on my bike with my camera in the himalayas.
But nothing much in the community service side......

But here is the problem bit:
GMAT 1st attempt:690 (48q,35v)

Should I appear again(have time till 20th nov)...because i know i can get atleast 720s.

Please advice...if its enough for my preferred schools.

Sajib, you've got some unique experience and i am sure can weave some brilliant stories around shipbuilind which in itself is quite fascinating (my experience as a consultant in that industry). That apart, ur GMAT score should be sufficient for great lakes. But for an institute like SP Jain that traditionally had CAT, it is likely to be on the lower side. For ISB, you might just fit the bill, but who knows given the competition. My frank counsel would be to re-take this - strictly if you beleive that you can score 720 or more - it will make a good impact on your profile.

You could give it a shot with this score, but you wouldnt be doing full justice to your profile with that. And make sure you write some cracker of essays :)

Cheers!

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Ask MBA Crystal Ball - Indian Candidates [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2010, 21:23
thanks mcbMcK....will retake the gmat...meanwhile will work on my essays...thanks
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Ask MBA Crystal Ball - Indian Candidates [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2010, 22:29
srjaidev wrote:
Hi Sameer,
Here is my profile, would you please have a look at it?
:
:
In a dilemma here,
Since I am only 24 (now), I feel like applying to only the top schools (or rather dream schools). But I do not wish to
wait another year now that I have decided to switch careers.

I am looking forward to a 2 year FT course. I preferred Europe because I will be able to travel Europe during those 2 years :)
But only LBS has a top-tier 2-year course where all the top MC firms come for recruiting.

Apart from LBS, I plan on applying to Wharton and Harvard.

I will only be applying round 2 and I believe I will be able to write memorable stories, with substance and impact, about my experiences, with a little guidance off-course.
As you can see the scale(money-wise) of my ECs and work is pretty less - I haven't helped make a ton of money or helped save people in a crisis, but I believe I have been able influence change in many situations.

Are the schools I mentioned atleast reach/ambitious? Are there people like me studying in such schools? (I hear only stories about rock-stars and world savers, but there are 900+817+401 students each year, there should be atleast a few like me studying there :)

Thanks in advance!
srjaidev

Hi Jaidev,

srjaidev wrote:
Indian Male (aren't we all! :-/) (25yrs at Matriculation

The Census of India will disagree with that statement, but I hear you bro.

srjaidev wrote:
As you can see the scale(money-wise) of my ECs and work is pretty less - I haven't helped make a ton of money or helped save people in a crisis, but I believe I have been able influence change in many situations.

Every applicant doesn't get the opportunity to make a million dollar impact on every organisation. So fikar naat. You've done your bit in life. Now think what you can do with those stories.

srjaidev wrote:
>> after MBA - change career into Strategy consulting
>> Apart from LBS, I plan on applying to Wharton and Harvard.
srjaidev wrote:
I'm still here sir and still listening. Go on.

srjaidev wrote:
790 in a GMATPrep test

Dhadaam! That was me falling off the chair. Back on my seat now. Gained my composure...and still listening.

srjaidev wrote:
Are the schools I mentioned atleast reach/ambitious? Are there people like me studying in such schools? (I hear only stories about rock-stars and world savers, but there are 900+817+401 students each year, there should be atleast a few like me studying there :)

Alright. So here's the gist as I get it. Young, impatient and ambitious guy. Decent stories.
Ab soch hi liya hai that you want to apply toh it's nobody's pitashree's biz to stop you.

Here's a little secret. Many guys appear like rockstars after they get into the top schools. Don't let that scare you. After you get into a top school, your profile will get upgraded to the rockstars status as well for MBA hopefuls who are still on the other side of the table. Sab mithya hai.

If you are looking for help beyond naitik santvana (any better term for 'moral support') from rockstars, sorry, regular guys with Harvard, Strategy consulting, McKinsey etc on their CVs, gimme a shout, buddy.

Sameer Kamat | Founder - MBA Crystal Ball | Email: info at mbacrystalball dot com

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Ask MBA Crystal Ball - Indian Candidates [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2010, 20:41
Indian MBA Blogs: Are you an MBA Star?
You are Indian. You’ve been fighting for your MBA seat in the toughest applicant pool. Your dedicated efforts have borne fruit (you have a great GMAT score or a seat at one of the top MBA programs or just an interesting story to narrate). You are articulate (and considerate) and believe in sharing your wisdom with the rest of your brethren. We think you are an MBA Star!
Read more...

We are looking for a few good men and women. Check out the post and let us know if you fit the bill? Or do you know anyone else who might be worthy of the crown?

Intern
Intern
Schools: ISB, IIMs ExPGP, INSEAD, XLRI (GMP)

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 5

Re: Ask MBA Crystal Ball - Indian Candidates: Journalist,4yr ex [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2010, 06:42
Hi,

This is Chetna Mehra writing to you.
I am keen on doing my MBA from ISB.
Can you please take a look at my profile.

Female/26/Indian
work ex- 4 years

GMAT: First Attempt
Expecting score between 650-700
Taking in November

Other B-Schools of interest: Great Lakes, SPJIMR

Work ex details:
I am currently working with Businessworld (Magazine, online/ ABP Pvt Ltd.) as a senior correspondent and sub-editor.
I have been with BW since three years now. (I am in-charge of the B-School section at BW)

Worked for an IT B2B News portal as a reporter for 8 Months.

Worked for 4 months in an NGO as editorial assistant for 4 months.

TRAINING:
I have worked as as intern with Doordarshan, Statesman and Ad Factors (an advertising agency) during my college days.

Academics:
PGD in Journalism from Bhartiya Vidya Bhavan
I have done my Bachelors in Journalism (Mass Communication) from GGSIP University (Delhi)
MA in Mass Comm. (Distance learning)

Extra-Curricular
I was a member of University's media cell for three years.
Member of the University's cultural fest organising team.
Won First prize in the University Cultural Fest in a Group Dance Competition.
Attended a number of workshops on Documentary film making.
Member of the college magazine's editorial team.

Hobbies and Interest
Poetry and Blogging.
Reading is an unevitable exercise.

I would really appreciate if you could review my profile.

Looking forward to hear from you on this at the earliest.

Thanks a lot!

regards,
Chetna
Manager
Manager

Re: Ask MBA Crystal Ball - Indian Candidates: Journalist,4yr ex [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2010, 12:38
chetnamehra wrote:
Hi,

This is Chetna Mehra writing to you.
I am keen on doing my MBA from ISB.
Can you please take a look at my profile.

Female/26/Indian
work ex- 4 years

GMAT: First Attempt
Expecting score between 650-700
Taking in November

Other B-Schools of interest: Great Lakes, SPJIMR

Work ex details:
I am currently working with Businessworld (Magazine, online/ ABP Pvt Ltd.) as a senior correspondent and sub-editor.
I have been with BW since three years now. (I am in-charge of the B-School section at BW)

Worked for an IT B2B News portal as a reporter for 8 Months.

Worked for 4 months in an NGO as editorial assistant for 4 months.

TRAINING:
I have worked as as intern with Doordarshan, Statesman and Ad Factors (an advertising agency) during my college days.

Academics:
PGD in Journalism from Bhartiya Vidya Bhavan
I have done my Bachelors in Journalism (Mass Communication) from GGSIP University (Delhi)
MA in Mass Comm. (Distance learning)

Extra-Curricular
I was a member of University's media cell for three years.
Member of the University's cultural fest organising team.
Won First prize in the University Cultural Fest in a Group Dance Competition.
Attended a number of workshops on Documentary film making.
Member of the college magazine's editorial team.

Hobbies and Interest
Poetry and Blogging.
Reading is an unevitable exercise.

I would really appreciate if you could review my profile.

Looking forward to hear from you on this at the earliest.

Thanks a lot!

regards,
Chetna

Chetna,

You've got some pretty interesting things going on for you here:
  • Very different work-ex and relevant considering u've been doing b-schools.
  • Impressive ECs
  • NGO experience

All these give you a definite edge on the normal run-of-the-mill candidate. Having said that, for a school like ISB, it is important to assess that you also have good analytical skills. So do try to push for a 700+ gmat to really cement ur chances. Offcourse, a lower score still gives you a realistic shot at it.

In summary, your's is the kind of profile adcom would love to read about, provided offcourse you put the right spices into it :)

Cheers!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Ask MBA Crystal Ball - Indian Candidates [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2010, 19:23
gmatxyz wrote:
Hi Sameer,

Please evaluate my profile:
I appeared in GMAT last week and scored 700 (50 Q, 34V). I was expecting a much better score but unfortunately I made mistakes in verbal. My AWA score is 5.5. Is this score good enough to expect an admit from some of the top 10 US business schools.
Personal details: Male/31/India
Other credentials:
B.Tech. Dept Rank 2 (84%)
M.Tech. IIT Bombay 9.9/10
Experience - 7 years (by 2011), working in one of the world's best semiconductor company. I have worked on the design and development of the state of art products.
I have couple of patents and papers on my name.
Top priorities: Haas (berkeley) and Stanford

What are my chances? Do you feel low verbal score can reduce my chances to get the admit? Shall I focus more on other aspects of the application or work on retaking GMAT?

Thanks in advance.

Your acads are spectacular. Though I'd have preferred a slightly higher GMAT, it may be difficult for you to take another shot and yet be ready for R2 deadlines. If that's the case, skip the GMAT part and focus on the others. If it's still possible for you to bump up the overall score (don't worry about the low verbal now), then I'd say why not.

Are you just starting out or have you already applied to a few schools in R1?

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Ask MBA Crystal Ball - Indian Candidates [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2010, 19:32
greatman1234 wrote:
Hi sammer following you from some days...:)

No wonder I kept getting the eerie 'shayad peeche koi hai' wali feeling all this while. So it was you, huh?

greatman1234 wrote:
Well love humour in your writing style.
Keep it up.

Thank you. Forums mein thoda timepass kar lete hain to keep the ambience light and frothy (does that sound like the ad for a new beer?). But when it comes to business, we are dead serious.

greatman1234 wrote:
Will be discussing my profile soon!!!!!!!!

We look forward to it, my friend.

Retired Moderator
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 41

GMAT Tests User
Re: Ask MBA Crystal Ball - Indian Candidates [#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2010, 09:05
Hi... Thans in advance for evaluating my profile

1) Male , Indian , 30 , Non IT background
2) ( 10th - 73%, 12th - 80% , was nominated for National Scholarship scheme being a student of top 500 slot out from a pool of 60k students )
4) Undergrads - Bachelors in Business Admin -65% ( among top 50 students of the university )
5) Executive programme in Business Management ( a part time certificate programme of one year ) from Indian Institute of Management, Calcutta ( IIM C) , honestly speaking didn't get any value addition from this programme.
6)I was awarded scholarship of 50% waiver in tuition fees by one of the top 10 business schools on the basis of my scores for their entrance exams ( quiet similar on the lines of GMAT ) in the year 2000, because i was among top 50 students of the country.

7) Experience - nine years of experience in Financial Services ( Functionally - Business Development , Retail ) , excellent exposure in terms of leadership , have been leading and managing people for the last seven years now ( jr level manpower in first 4 yrs and mid level manpower for the last 3 yrs ). Have worked with very well known companies of India (Banks and Insurance) . Have managed sales teams at state/regional level in the most competitive markets.

Career progression == trainee == officer == sr.officer == asst manager == deputy manager == manager == sr. manager

Now ,here comes the weakness too

1) No international work exposure because my job doesn't demand it all , in IT companies you get to work across globe because the industry demands it wherein my job profile doesn't demand it.. so how would adcom view it ?
2) Nothing to speak as far as EC are concerned... can i develop somehting by the time i apply ? vague question but one of my ex tutors told me if you dont have one... develop one..

Now comes the question Why MBA ?

Wanna get into consulting , so my focus would be sales consulting, marketing and stratagy.

I have been preparing for GMAT and have been consistently scoring 600-640 , but am afraid that this score won't help me in reaching anywhere so am still giving some more time to reach upto 680-700 atleast or 700+.

Now my questions

1) which b-schools do you think are good as per my profile..US as well as non US..
2) I heard US b-schools dont give much importance to international work experience the way europian and other b-schools do , so my chances are better in US b-schools ? how true is this.. because i am more interested in one year MBA rather then going for regular two years MBA
3) Can you give name of bschools having great focus on marketing.
4) I am sure that i appear for gmat right now i would score around 650 , so should i appear for gmat or should i make it sure that i reach to a level of 700 , what should be an ideal score for such profile with higher work experience.
5) How would a business school view my plan to shift from industry to consulting after giving such a long time to industry.

I understand a few aspects of my questions are very relative , but would be obliged it you can just give your individual comments on the basis of your experience till date

Thanks very much

Hiren

http://www.gmatpill.com/gmat-practice-test/

Amazing Platform

Intern
Intern
Schools: ISB, IIMs ExPGP, INSEAD, XLRI (GMP)

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 5

Re: Ask MBA Crystal Ball - Indian Candidates [#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2010, 10:49
:)
Thanks a lot for the response! It has certainly helped me getting over the apprehensions I've had about the whole (fairing in GMAT) plan.

Thanks again,
Chetna :)
Manager
Manager
Schools: Wharton,Insead,LBS,IMD,Kellog,Haas,Duke
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 13

Re: Ask MBA Crystal Ball - Indian Candidates [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2010, 02:22
MBACrystalBall wrote:
greatman1234 wrote:
Hi sammer following you from some days...:)

No wonder I kept getting the eerie 'shayad peeche koi hai' wali feeling all this while. So it was you, huh?

So now you got it haan.. bahot khub...:)
greatman1234 wrote:
Well love humour in your writing style.
Keep it up.

Thank you. Forums mein thoda timepass kar lete hain to keep the ambience light and frothy (does that sound like the ad for a new beer?). But when it comes to business, we are dead serious.

That is the thing that i love the most!!!
greatman1234 wrote:
Will be discussing my profile soon!!!!!!!!

We look forward to it, my friend.

Thanks for replying. moogamboo khush hua...:D

Whatever you do, Do it SINCERELY!!!

GOD help those who help themselves....:)

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Re: Ask MBA Crystal Ball - Indian Candidates [#permalink] New post 27 Oct 2010, 22:24
Hello MBA Crystal Ball team,

On the basis of the advice you provided in another topic that I'd created, I'm posting my profile here. I'd appreciate if you could give me feedback.

My Profile:

Nationality: Indian
Degree: B. Tech (Production Engineering) from VJTI, Mumbai
10th standard: 88.27% (22nd in the Merit List)
12th standard: 85% overall (93% in PCM)
GPA: 6.9/10.0 (First Class)
GMAT1: 650 (Q46, V34, AWA5.0)
GMAT2: Scheduled on November 11, 2011 (Hope to do better!)
TOEFL: 111/120 (Reading 30, Speaking 23, Listening 29, Writing 29)
Work experience: Working in the manufacturing sector since June 2009. Will complete 2 years of work experience by the time the program starts. Was promoted in the first six months.

Another important criterion is that my current employer i.e. Usha Martin Ltd which is one of the leading manufacturing firms in India, wants to sponsor my MBA, provided I sign an undertaking that I'll come back to work with them (I'm willing to do it)
Will this sponsorship help in my application?

Extracurriculars: Organized a few social events and even managed a couple of technical and sports events. Organized an international conference regarding development of education. I've also been involved with the Corporate Social Responsibility division of my current company.

I'm particularly looking at Business schools in Britain, America, Canada, Singapore and New Zealand (basically any country where English is the main language used).

What kind of a chance will I stand in the following schools:
1. York Schulich (Canada)
2. Queens (Canada)
3. MIT-LGO (Long shot I know, but what's the harm in asking!)
4. Thunderbird School of Global Management
5. Purdue University
6. Nanyang (Singapore)
7. NUS (Singapore)

Other than these schools, if you could recommend any other good schools which are likely to admit candidates with my profile, that'll be great!

I've gone through some of the posts on the forum, but I've not come across such information for any person with two years of work experience.

I'll really appreciate any help that you could provide me, as I aim to finalize the list of 6-7 schools that I intend to apply to. Thanks in advance :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Ask MBA Crystal Ball - Indian Candidates [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2010, 21:02
arjunpatnaik wrote:
Hi

Would really appreciate some assistance in deciding which Schools to apply for keeping in mind my profile and my future goals. So here goes

Nationality: Indian
Work Experience: 4+ at the time of matriculation (Applying for the fall 2011 session)
GMAT Score: 720 (V39,Q49) (1st attempt
)
:
:
Tier 1:
Harvard, Chicago, Stanford, Wharton, MIT

Tier 2:
Tuck, Columbia, Kellogg, Haas, NYU Stern

Tier 3:
Ross, Duke Fuqua, Darden, Yale, Tepper

:
:
Looking forward to your reply..

Warm Regards

Hi Arjun,

Glad to come across guys who've done their homework before asking questions.

arjunpatnaik wrote:
Grey Areas: Already a post graduate in management

This is where I'd focus more. The rest of your application content seems pretty good. You've got not 1 but 2 business focussed degrees. So you'd better have a solid reason for embarking on the same road for the third time.

arjunpatnaik wrote:
International: INSEAD: Due to its tremendous reputation as a world class school and 1 year curriculum (not very keen on applying to European colleges keeping in mind the state of the economy in Europe)

Bandhu, US ka haal bhi kuch khaas nahi. So bear that in mind when you start working on your apps.

arjunpatnaik wrote:
Tier 1:
Harvard, Chicago, Stanford, Wharton, MIT

Danger wala rang kaahe istemaal kiye ho, bhaiyya. Iss rang se toh bail aur anya jaanwar bhi bhadak jaate hai.

Don't give the reputation of these schools more importance than they deserve. If you put them on a pedestal, chances are you'll develop a psychological barrier. It tends to undervalue your own worth when you are applying. They want good candidates as well. So if you think you are good, by all means go ahead and put in a strong application.

arjunpatnaik wrote:
I want to apply to atleast 1 Tier 1 college, 2-3 Tier 2 colleges and 1-2 Tier 3 colleges

I like that mix.

arjunpatnaik wrote:
Keeping in mind my profile and areas of interest, need your views and suggestions on which colleges do I apply to.

I think you've already done most of the work in shortlisting those 3 categories. You can't go horribly wrong if you mix and match within that list.

arjunpatnaik wrote:
Also how do you rate the Kellogg 1 yr MBA program to its 2 year MBA program.

It's a good option, but I'd prefer the main 2 yr flagship program. But that's just me. Ek saal ka hi karna hai toh I'll give you better options.

Good luck, man. If you need to get in touch with us, kisi bhi paanwale ko pooch lena. They wouldn't give you the right answer, but no harm in trying.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Ask MBA Crystal Ball - Indian Candidates [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2010, 03:52
MBA, Career or Marriage? Welcome to the ugly desi dilemma!

Each of these options fall in the ‘tremendously important’ category for us. And unfortunately for a whole lot of Indian candidates, all 3 seem to collide at the most inappropriate time. Read more...

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Ask MBA Crystal Ball - Indian Candidates [#permalink] New post 03 Nov 2010, 04:22
sajibbaruah wrote:

Hmmm...that's a new one. Reminds me of the cartoon series 'He-man and the Masters of the Universe'. Does anyone remember Skeletor, Orko, Man-at-arms, Teela? Or are we just from another generation?

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Ask MBA Crystal Ball - Indian Candidates [#permalink] New post 03 Nov 2010, 06:16
MBACrystalBall wrote:
sajibbaruah wrote:

Hmmm...that's a new one. Reminds me of the cartoon series 'He-man and the Masters of the Universe'. Does anyone remember Skeletor, Orko, Man-at-arms, Teela? Or are we just from another generation?

one of my fav series ... a huge fan ... had quite a few toys , still kept somewhere in the closet :) ...and am not from another generation , only 24 ...

Now my question is also on the same lines ... I will only have 3 years exp ( soft Eng with IBM ) by Aug 2011 ... will I be at some disadvantage with low work ex.

regards
sason
Re: Ask MBA Crystal Ball - Indian Candidates   [#permalink] 03 Nov 2010, 06:16