Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Aug 2014, 15:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Ask MBA Crystal Ball - Indian Candidates

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Ask MBA Crystal Ball - Indian Candidates [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2011, 10:46
Hello,

Could you please evaluate my profile based on the following information:

1.) Education

Bachelor of Engineering - Mechanical Engineering - 71% Aggregate - India
PG Diploma - Advanced Manufacturing Technology and Systems Management - Pass - University of Manchester - UK

2.) Work Experience

2.5 years by now - 4/5 years at the time of matriculation.
Family Business - Working as General Manager - started my stint in inventory management - took some good effective initiatives - implemented Inventory Management Techniques such as ABC Analysis, Economic Order Quantity estimation for about 5000 parts in the inventory - estimated the operation cost of the warehouse with these techniques - marginally reduced the operative costs to about 60% of before.
took charge as a plant manager to set up a building material (aggregate) manufacturing plant in a village with my team of 20 people and further hired contractors and labor on my own - successfully set up the plant which is now in a running condition already - formed a joint venture with a company from Malaysia to supply them the material on a consistent basis - liaison with the project manager of that company on a daily basis to resolve day to day issues (transportation, financial etc) - reported directly to the Chairman of my company.

Now, I am promoted as a General Manager of the company and into setting up of a sponge iron plant of 200 Tonnes per day capacity - the company has also proposed a 10 MW power plant in the future for which I will be the incharge again - I am right now looking after its civil construction and assisting the labor and the contractors hired by me few months ago - trying to handle the project professionally with the help of tools like Microsoft Project, ERP, Excel Spreadsheets.

Company's employee strength -- 400

Have formed a charity organization which funds the education of our employees' children - motivate them to perform good in their academics in order to avail these benefits - have provided 3 lacs INR till now - this helps our employees too - they feel quite secured and consequently they get motivated to work hard.

Can write good essays demonstrating my leadership and management potential.

GMAT - yet to take! will target 720+ !

Please evaluate my profile based on the information given above.

Thanks

Chaitanya Bhansali
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

Re: Ask MBA Crystal Ball - Indian Candidates [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2011, 19:55
Hey, impressive profile. Find my comments in line:

Hi Sameer,

Here's my profile. Could you please let me know your thoughts on the target schools that I can shoot for. I am concerned abt my GMAT and dont want to re-take it

Any particular reasons you want to avoid a re-take? Was this your first attempt? Considering your target list and the fact that you are in a competitive pool, it is much safer to be on the other side of 700!

GMAT - 680 (Q48, V35) :cry:
Acads - BE: GPA 8.3/10 from a leading college in India
X/XII - 81% /70%
Indian, Mlae Age - 32
Work Ex - 8.3 Years in HealthCare IT for a major IT Co. in India (4years in US and 4.3 in India).
Role - Associate Manager - Projects
Career Progress - 4 promotions till date
Achievements at work -
Created new business opportunities worth $3.2 Mi
Achieved 14 % productivity improvement for teams under me as opposed to an organizational target of 11%

Difficult to say whether this is impressive. If you can translate this into a $ number, maybe much more interesting to look at.
Proposed and implemented cost reduction initiatives that lead to a total savings of $450,000 p.a. for the client
Have always been rated within the top 15% of my peers
Received numerous awards for excellence in performance - e.g. was awarded the "Best Boss"
Again, much more impactful if you can quantify this in some way. For instance, if you can say only 2 guys get this among 1000, then we're talking.
Am currently leading an account wide initiative of reducing costs - target to achieve is a savings of $x Mi

ExtraCurriculars - Was a professional sportsman in India (volleyball) for 2 years (post XII) didnt do great stuff just represented my state in various tournaments
Even participation helps, trust me not many of us around are athletically inclined
Founder of a club that helps promote sports as a career for the deserving
College volleyball captain for 3 years

Course - MBA in Consulting
You'll have a tough time finding a school that offers this, unless one of the big consults have started their own venture :) . Unlike marketing or finance, consulting is not a "single" stream. It is in many ways, a milieu of all the streams - and hence the attraction towards it as well

Schools - NYU Stern, Fuqua, Notre Dame (safe - safe), Cornell (safe), Columbia

In summary, though you've got a pretty impressive profile, but I would strongly recommend that you think about your GMAT.

MG (Manish Gupta)|The MBA Crystal Ball Team
Email: mcb at mbacrystalball dot com

Intern
Intern

Re: Ask MBA Crystal Ball - Indian Candidates [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2011, 20:37
Thanks a ton for the response. My primary reason for not taking GMAT again is time constraints.
The score that i have now is from 2007 when i had more time :) The 680 was my seond attempt taken just after a month or so without much planning. I took it because i knew that i was much better in verbal than my score represented. My first score was 650 (51Q,25V)
I am also looking at the possibility of EMBA if my profile fits in (columbia sturday, sunday)program). I know that i have reached a plateau in my career and need a catalyst from here on to reach where I want to in 5 years. I understand that my apps would be very different for the 2 programs (mba/emba) and believe i can articulate the need for an mba effectively. Is 680 not competetive for both the programs? Or rather should i consider only the mba and not the emba based on what i have.
Clarifications to my profile:
The productivioty improvement caused a coast savings of $6.3 mi
The award was among a group of 40 leads and managers

Posted from my mobile device Image
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 27

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 9

Re: Ask MBA Crystal Ball - Indian Candidates [#permalink] New post 19 Jan 2011, 20:04
How to improve your MBA profile for top business school admissions

The question pops up on various forums frequently and there are two categories of guys who want to know. The first set are a few months away from application deadlines and have recently realized that their competitors look and sound better on paper than they do. This is the ‘uski kameez meri kameez se safed kaise’ syndrome. … Read entire article »

Sameer Kamat | Founder - MBA Crystal Ball | Email: info at mbacrystalball dot com

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 11

Re: Ask MBA Crystal Ball - Indian Candidates [#permalink] New post 19 Jan 2011, 22:09
Hi MBA Crystal Ball team,
Could you please help with my profile evaluation?
Many thanks.

MrUnderhill wrote:
Posted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 3:38 pm
Hi MBA Crystal Ball ,
Thanks for offering an introduction to your services !

My profile in short
Male , Indian
GMAT 740 (49Q/44V), 6.0 AWA
UG : BAchelor of Computer Engineering , 3.4/4 GPA
Work experience:Will have 6 years of experience when I plan to start my MBA
IBM 3yrs - Technology consulting and Service in India
Rated among Top 5% in IBM for last 3 years
4 Patent applications,few publications and customer facing experience
TCS - 1 year
EC:Working for a NGO for community schools to help deploy computer labs

Goal : After MBA, plan to work in Management/Strategy Consulting.

Based on my research, schools such as Booth , Columbia , Kellogg seem a Stretch goal to get an Admit, but without a scholarship.

However, I am not in a position to generate $ 120k ,required for these schools.
So I am searching for mid-ranked schools, which are a good balance of Brand + Scholarship where I can complete the MBA in approx $60k.

Question 1. I have shortlisted Emory - Goizueta as one of the target schools, which has a good probability of scholarship.
Could you please suggest any other schools with the Brand+Scholarship balance, which are known for Consulting ?

Question 2.
I have still 1.5 years before I apply.Could you please suggest how I could strengthen my profile, to move my Career towards a Consulting path ?
in terms of changing profile @ work or taking up EC activities.

Question 3 :
Does MBA Crystal Ball provide face to face consulting in Pune ?

Thanks and best regards.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

Re: Ask MBA Crystal Ball - Indian Candidates [#permalink] New post 19 Jan 2011, 22:44
reachschools wrote:
Thanks a ton for the response. My primary reason for not taking GMAT again is time constraints.
The score that i have now is from 2007 when i had more time :) The 680 was my seond attempt taken just after a month or so without much planning. I took it because i knew that i was much better in verbal than my score represented. My first score was 650 (51Q,25V)
I am also looking at the possibility of EMBA if my profile fits in (columbia sturday, sunday)program). I know that i have reached a plateau in my career and need a catalyst from here on to reach where I want to in 5 years. I understand that my apps would be very different for the 2 programs (mba/emba) and believe i can articulate the need for an mba effectively. Is 680 not competetive for both the programs? Or rather should i consider only the mba and not the emba based on what i have.
Clarifications to my profile:
The productivioty improvement caused a coast savings of $6.3 mi
The award was among a group of 40 leads and managers

Posted from my mobile device Image

Well, it depends a lot on what you are looking at out of an MBA. And that ideally should dictate the choice between an EMBA and the normal one. An EMBA would usually be more useful if you want to use the MBA to grow / transition within your current organization. If you want to explore on a broader canvas, then a full blown MBA makes much more sense.

Thanks for the clarifications. The point is, you should think of conveying your story (as and when you do), in these terms rather than the ones you had :)

Cheers!

MG (Manish Gupta)|The MBA Crystal Ball Team
Email: mcb at mbacrystalball dot com

Intern
Intern

Re: Ask MBA Crystal Ball - Indian Candidates [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2011, 10:06
Hi Crystal Ball,

Can you please help me shortlist some good schools for IT Consulting and/or Entrepreneurship. I'm open to both US and UK but have to start by fall this year. Here is my brief profile.

Indian / IT / 25 / Male
GMAT: 700 (QA 50, VA 34, AWA 4.5)
TOEFL: 109
Work Ex: 4 years by the time I join

Looking for Emory, Tippie, UIUC(Illinois), Rochester, Manchester and Imperial

Thanks
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Ask MBA Crystal Ball - Indian Candidates [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2011, 04:30
chaitanyabhansali wrote:
Hello,

Could you please evaluate my profile based on the following information:

1.) Education

Bachelor of Engineering - Mechanical Engineering - 71% Aggregate - India
PG Diploma - Advanced Manufacturing Technology and Systems Management - Pass - University of Manchester - UK

2.) Work Experience

2.5 years by now - 4/5 years at the time of matriculation.
Family Business - Working as General Manager - started my stint in inventory

:
:

Please evaluate my profile based on the information given above.

Thanks

Chaitanya Bhansali

Hi Chaitanya,

Candidates from a family business background have some unique characteristics and your profile underlines some of those.

You've got a great deal of responsibility at an early stage. Most other guys would have to spend several years doing relatively basic activities before the company management decides to place greater trust in their capabilities. A General Manager designation in bigger companies would be conferred upon employees who've spent decades honing their skills in multiple areas.

The challenge here is that Adcoms need to be convinced that you've earned your stripes and shouldered additional responsibilities because you really had the potential and not just because of your blood relations with the founders of the organisation.

Use your unconventional background and the fact that you play a key role in a 400-strong company. If your GMAT you've targeted can be reached (when's the test?), more power to you. With a strong application that addresses the points listed above, you be in good shape to target the top 10-15 schools.

You haven't shared your post-MBA plans. Do you want to work in another company for a few years before you get back to your family business or do you want to jump right back in?

Sameer Kamat | Founder - MBA Crystal Ball | Email: info at mbacrystalball dot com

Intern
Intern

Re: Ask MBA Crystal Ball - Indian Candidates [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2011, 05:30
Thanks Sameer!

I hope I'd be able to convince adcoms about my potential which I will be talking about in my essays.

I intend to work in strategy consulting position in a good consulting firm for 3-4 years before jumping back in my business and expand it on a global scale with the skills attained in the b school.

Thanks for your reply per se.

Chaitanya
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Ask MBA Crystal Ball - Indian Candidates [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2011, 08:25
GMAT Preparation Tips: How Daljeet scored a 780

There are many Indian MBA applicants who do well on the GMAT. A few others crack it. And then there are those who completely destroy it. Daljeet Singh is one those warriors. After scoring a 780, he could’ve easily joined one of the elite GMAT test preparation companies and made a killing. Instead, he chose to be part of an online marketing consultancy. He shares with us his story...Read more

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Ask MBA Crystal Ball - Indian Candidates [#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2011, 00:10
ISB Hyderabad Blues: Indian School of Business MBA admissions

ISB is a dream destination for many Indian MBA applicants. But year after year, as ISB continues to make rapid strides and gain accolades across the world, the local competition gets more intense. Valentine’s day (actually the day after, to be technically correct) saw a lot of broken hearts, as ISB Round 2 results were rolled out. Riaz was one of those hopefuls who wasn’t in the list of lucky applicants. Here’s how he views the entire episode… Read entire article »

Intern
Intern

Re: Ask MBA Crystal Ball - Indian Candidates [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2011, 04:53
Dear All,

I want to evaluate my profile for top 25 B-schools.

Name: Amit Kumar
Nationality:Indian
Graduate %age: 67(Computers)
Work Ex.: 3 years(Big MNC) (2 years Client Place)
GMAT:670(First Attempt)
International Work Ex.: Nil

Apart from Computers i am part time trader, i like to developing strategy for stock market using Technical analysis.

I have a website related to TECHNICAL ANALYSIS AND STRATEGY for Stock Market, which has significance hits every day.

I am helping new traders who want to come into market and give free tips, and maintain calls and portfolio.

My portfolio is having return more then 40% .

I started with some couple of thousand and build bank account with some lac.

I want to pursue MBA in Strategy.

Please help me...regarding what points i can add to build my profile more stronger.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Ask MBA Crystal Ball - Indian Candidates [#permalink] New post 02 Mar 2011, 04:28
akki1986 wrote:
Dear All,

I want to evaluate my profile for top 25 B-schools.

Name: Amit Kumar
Nationality:Indian
Graduate %age: 67(Computers)
Work Ex.: 3 years(Big MNC) (2 years Client Place)
GMAT:670(First Attempt)
International Work Ex.: Nil

Apart from Computers i am part time trader, i like to developing strategy for stock market using Technical analysis.

I have a website related to TECHNICAL ANALYSIS AND STRATEGY for Stock Market, which has significance hits every day.

I am helping new traders who want to come into market and give free tips, and maintain calls and portfolio.

My portfolio is having return more then 40% .

I started with some couple of thousand and build bank account with some lac.

I want to pursue MBA in Strategy.

Please help me...regarding what points i can add to build my profile more stronger.

Hi Amit,

You've completely diverted our attention (intentionally?) away from your 3 years of work-ex and moved on to your trading story. So without putting you in an awkward situation and talking about those 3 years, let's stick to the trading part.

Be a little careful when you are throwing numbers (like 40% returns) our there. Without putting it in the right context, it may or may not sound impressive depending on who's reading it. Allow me to elaborate.

Trading could come in various flavours. The short term speculator/punter vs the long term investor. Accordingly returns also come in various flavours. It is difficult to interpret whether your strategies have been high-risk-high-returns or low-risk-high-returns or some other variation.

In a long term, if you've been consistently been able to give those returns that'll be fantastic. In the short term, when the market has been very volatile, guys who've jumped in and out at the right time have been able to make a lot of money. But this is more luck than capability.

I'm sure your strategy has been rooted deeply into technical analysis concepts, which others may not really be in a position to appreciate.

Another point. What qualities would that success story highlight? Are you good at statistical analysis? Good at understanding the economy, industries (do you also have an understanding of fundamental analysis techniques)?

How will your current skills help you if you were to successfully transition into a consulting role (your post-MBA goal)?

The website aspect (you've only briefly talked about it) can give you several other points to talk about. It's given you a lot of exposure to areas that your 3-yrs of work-ex might not have provided. Send me the URL (as a PM if you don't want to reveal it on the thread). I'd like to see what you are doing out there (and secretly also evaluate your writing style).

Point I'm trying to make it, help others understand your strengths better and you'll have a good shot at the top schools.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Ask MBA Crystal Ball - Indian Candidates [#permalink] New post 13 Mar 2011, 04:32
MBA Crystal Ball blog wins the 'Notable Newbie' award from Blogadda.com.

They are currently featuring it on their homepage.

Thanks to everyone who's helped make it popular.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Ask MBA Crystal Ball - Indian Candidates [#permalink] New post 24 Mar 2011, 21:07
Manchester Business School MBA or Indiana Kelley MBA?

There’s one trait that makes Nitin Vig special – Tenacity. Having known him for a while, I know more about him than this following post reveals. And that I think the quality to hang in there when the chips are down and keep pushing is gonna take him places. For now he’s struggling with an envious dilemma – having to choose between 2 good business schools with scholarship. Read on and see if you can help him with the decision. read on

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Ask MBA Crystal Ball - Indian Candidates [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2011, 17:17
Please evaluate my profile and let me know whether my GMAT score is enough for the targetted schools or do I need to retake

Work Experience: 7 Years, will be 8 years while joining the school (planning for the 2012 intake)

Internation Exposure: 3 years 3 months. Staying in US since 2008 Jan

Current Positions:

Soltions Consultant at IT industry. Responsible for delivering the software solutions to US based client. Being in client place – US, my responsibilities include helping the businees parters to effectively identify the business requirements, assign the work to team members and and present the deliverables to business partners/Client Project Manager. Also works on pre-sales for the parent company. Managed upto 12 members team

Working (non remunerative) for a school in India as a Manager, stategy – Planning and implementation. Responsible for effectively identify and build the vision for the school, create the strategy plan to achieve the goal, and implement the plan.

GMAT: 690 Essays : 4.5

Education: Electrical and Electronics Engineering from a reputed college in India

GPA : 3.4

Extra Curricular: I was in the organization committee in several college events. performed in the skits at college events. Organized several events in the school for which I am working. Organized many Indian regional events in US, also acted in several skits in those events.

Targetted shools: INSEAD, IMD, HKUST, ISB, IIMA, IIMB
Intern
Intern
Schools: UNC Kenan Flagler, Tepper, McCombs, Rotman
WE 1: IT Consulting

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: Ask MBA Crystal Ball - Indian Candidates [#permalink] New post 06 Apr 2011, 15:05
Hi MBA Crystal Ball,

Please help me evaluate my candidacy for the MBA programs in my target schools :

A brief insight to my profile :

1. An IIM (Indian IT Male) guy with 5.5 years of experience in IT - have international work ex and worked for clients reputed in finance domain.

2. GMAT : 740 (Q-50;V-40;AWA-waiting)

3. Extra curr : 'Youth secretary' at our local community club - arranged events such as blood donation camps , art and cultural competitions for society kids -- member of Green Peace -- planning to do more active participations in NGO activities in this summer;

4. Target schools :
a)HBS (misfit in terms of age - but how can I capitalize on that);
b)Duke
c)Wharton
d)Carnegie Mellon Tepper
e)Haas
f)Kelloggs

5. Target career : Consulting / Marketing and Strategy

Please also suggest any other schools u find suitable for me.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Ask MBA Crystal Ball - Indian Candidates [#permalink] New post 06 Apr 2011, 23:56
sampatkumar wrote:
Please evaluate my profile and let me know whether my GMAT score is enough for the targetted schools or do I need to retake

Work Experience: 7 Years, will be 8 years while joining the school (planning for the 2012 intake)
Internation Exposure: 3 years 3 months. Staying in US since 2008 Jan

Current Positions:
Soltions Consultant at IT industry. Responsible for delivering the software solutions to US based client. Being in client place – US, my responsibilities include helping the businees parters to effectively identify the business requirements, assign the work to team members and and present the deliverables to business partners/Client Project Manager. Also works on pre-sales for the parent company. Managed upto 12 members team

Working (non remunerative) for a school in India as a Manager, stategy – Planning and implementation. Responsible for effectively identify and build the vision for the school, create the strategy plan to achieve the goal, and implement the plan.

GMAT: 690 Essays : 4.5
Education: Electrical and Electronics Engineering from a reputed college in India
GPA : 3.4

Extra Curricular: I was in the organization committee in several college events. performed in the skits at college events. Organized several events in the school for which I am working. Organized many Indian regional events in US, also acted in several skits in those events.

Targetted shools: INSEAD, IMD, HKUST, ISB, IIMA, IIMB

Most of the schools on your list have a median GMAT that crosses the 700 mark. But you aren't too far away from that mark. Most candidates with your background use GMAT as a differentiator to some extent. That approach will not work for you.

So you are going into the field with 1 below average batsman (world cup hangover still on, as you can see). Doesn't mean they won't let you play, but the other players have to over-compensate for this average-joe-batsman and still deliver.

For IMD, you are in good shape as you can talk about your work-ex which seems pretty solid. It's a relatively small class, though. So you are fighting for a very small proportion of those seats.

HKUST is a safe bet. ISB/INSEAD et al have many more seats on offer, but the profiles from Indian also tend to be very competitive. Or if you are open to looking at other equally good schools that aren't as obsessed with the GMAT, then the options open up.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Ask MBA Crystal Ball - Indian Candidates [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2011, 04:20
XLRI GMP 1 year MBA: GMAT preparation tips from a 770 GMAT scorer

The average GMAT at XLRI Jamshedpur’s GMP general management program got a boost when Narendran Santhanam got his application to their 1 year MBA program accepted.

He sent in this blog post at 3:51 AM, so you can imagine the kind of workload he’s dealing with as he nears the end of an eventful year. If you’ve been going bananas trying to find out the ingredients that go into a high GMAT score, fikar not, as Chef Naren’s GMAT diet recommendation includes exactly that – bananas !!! read more

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Ask MBA Crystal Ball - Indian Candidates [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2011, 04:34
mba22 wrote:
Hi MBA Crystal Ball,

Please help me evaluate my candidacy for the MBA programs in my target schools :
:

I've responded to your post on the other site, so skipping this one.

Let me know if you any follow-up questions.

Re: Ask MBA Crystal Ball - Indian Candidates   [#permalink] 12 Apr 2011, 04:34