Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 04:56 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 04:56

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 147 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
Concentration: general
Schools:ISB, Hass, Ross, NYU Stern
 Q50  V31 GMAT 2: 700  Q50  V35
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 134 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
Send PM
Director
Director
Send PM
Re: Ask MBA Crystal Ball [#permalink]
shmandirwala wrote:
Hi Sameer!!!
I am still unclear about my chances...
I would dearly want to get into UT,Austin...
You said that I have one more year to improve on my GMAT score.but I can't see possibility of my retaking GMAT as I want to start MBA from September-2011.
I have not yet booked a date for TOEFL....
Please comment!!!!

Shyamal sir,

I had read the following comment from your original post - 'I am interested in applying for next year.'

Plus considering you've got age/time on your side, I assumed you were going to start your applications next year. If that's not the case, then pick a few (not too many) schools for R2 and apply.

How many schools have you applied to so far?
Director
Director
Send PM
sahaamity81 wrote:
I am currently in product management and plan to stay in prod management only immediately after MBA. Do you see this inconsistent?

Nope. No inconsistency if you put it that way. It was just getting a little convoluted on this thread. Like I mentioned in the last response. Make sure that clarity comes across in the apps.

sahaamity81 wrote:
Please let me know about my chances in top programs...(your rough take though its not that straight forward )

Just to make spread cheer during the festive season, I'm tempted to say yes, you have a good chance (with all the disclaimers from the earlier two posts).

But considering we have some open ends dangling out there, could we come back to this question when you get your GMAT score?

sahaamity81 wrote:
BTw, WW is world wide :)

Thanks. I was trying to put some variations (like Waka waka) in there that didn't help.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hi,
I have shortlisted a List of Universities , but i am not really sure whether these universities would suit my profile. I would need some help to suggest whether these are fine or should apply to some other universities. A brief about my profile is:
GMAT Score:690
TOEFL Score:109
Work Exp: approx 3 years in IT organisation
BE Aggregate: 70%

The Univ shortlisted by me were:
uni of colorado boulder
uni of miami
tulane University
Uni of Missouri Columbia
san jose state uni

i am looking forward to MBA in IT, and good universities where funding could be an option and good campus opportunites.
Any help would be highly appreciated
Director
Director
Send PM
MBACrystalBall wrote:
Why you should re-evaluate your Round 2 MBA application strategy
As the dust settles from the Round 1 MBA application rounds, there’s good news for some and there’s additional work to be done for the others. A few questions that applicants ask: Is it worthwhile applying to Round 2? Or am I doomed coz I didn’t make it through in Round 1? What should my MBA application strategy be? Read more...

We had posted this on our blog earlier. At a time when the disappointment and frustration of not being successful in the first round forces many to go into a shell, one of the candidates (Thanks, Satya) was considerate enough to share his honest views and offer some advice on the topic for the benefit of others who are in a similar situation.

If you have been planning quick fixes to your application strategy, do check out the fifth comment on this post before you take a knee-jerk reaction.
Intern
Intern
 Q48  V25
Send PM
dgfdgsd
Attachments

SIBM_DIPLOMA.docx [12.14 KiB]
Downloaded 55 times

pgdbf.docx [10.61 KiB]
Downloaded 56 times

Originally posted by tusharnangnure on 30 Dec 2010, 11:07.
Last edited by tusharnangnure on 04 Feb 2019, 02:13, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
Hi MBA Crystal Ball ,
Thanks for offering an introduction to your services !

My profile in short
Male , Indian
GMAT 740 (49Q/44V), 6.0 AWA
UG : BAchelor of Computer Engineering , 3.4/4 GPA
Work experience:Will have 6 years of experience when I plan to start my MBA
IBM 3yrs - Technology consulting and Service in India
Rated among Top 5% in IBM for last 3 years
4 Patent applications,few publications and customer facing experience
TCS - 1 year
EC:Working for a NGO for community schools to help deploy computer labs

Goal : After MBA, plan to work in Management/Strategy Consulting.

Based on my research, schools such as Booth , Columbia , Kellogg seem a Stretch goal to get an Admit, but without a scholarship.

However, I am not in a position to generate $ 120k ,required for these schools.
So I am searching for mid-ranked schools, which are a good balance of Brand + Scholarship where I can complete the MBA in approx $60k.

Question 1. I have shortlisted Emory - Goizueta as one of the target schools, which has a good probability of scholarship.
Could you please suggest any other schools with the Brand+Scholarship balance, which are known for Consulting ?

Question 2.
I have still 1.5 years before I apply.Could you please suggest how I could strengthen my profile, to move my Career towards a Consulting path ?
in terms of changing profile @ work or taking up EC activities.

Question 3 :
Does MBA Crystal Ball provide face to face consulting in Pune ?

Thanks and best regards.
Director
Director
Send PM
naish wrote:
Hi Sameer,
it would be really great if you can evaluate my profile.

GMAT : 700 (Q50, V35, AWA 5.0)
Nationality: Indian
I have no plans to take GMAT again.

Work Experience:
Duration: 3 years by May 2011
Assistant Manager in R & D Division of Maruti Suzuki India Ltd., India's largest automobile company
:
:
Education:
Bachelor of Engineering (B.E.) in Production and Industrial Engineering, Aggregate score: 70/100
from Delhi College of Engineering, one of the premiere engineering colleges in India.
:
:
Choice of B-Schools:
I am looking for a program that is a mix of case based and experimental learning. I don't find lecture based teaching to be appealing. I guess a general management program will be right fit for my career aspirations.
I have already applied to ISB and Haas.
Planning to apply to Ross, Kellogs and Darden in R2.

You've got done your homework well sir. Usually schools use a mix of case-studies, lectures, group assignments. Harvard and Darden are the strongest when it comes to case-study based teaching. Case studies have their limitations just like the other options. So you might be better off experiencing a mix of pedagogies and teaching styles.

naish wrote:
Questions:
Am I sensible in my choice of B-schools? What else would you suggest?
Any comments on how can I make my application stronger, because I don't have strong leadership experience in my current organization?

Yup, good choice, in the Practical-Stretch range. 1-2 Practical schools would've been nice. But fikar not, if you've put in strong apps.
Director
Director
Send PM
Kratikabandi wrote:
Hi,
I have shortlisted a List of Universities , but i am not really sure whether these universities would suit my profile. I would need some help to suggest whether these are fine or should apply to some other universities. A brief about my profile is:
GMAT Score:690
TOEFL Score:109
Work Exp: approx 3 years in IT organisation
BE Aggregate: 70%

The Univ shortlisted by me were:
uni of colorado boulder
uni of miami
tulane University
Uni of Missouri Columbia
san jose state uni

i am looking forward to MBA in IT, and good universities where funding could be an option and good campus opportunites.
Any help would be highly appreciated

Hi Kratika,

I see that our good friend, Arun (aka pyschodementia and the founder of Crackverbal) has already addressed many of your queries on another thread. He's been in this business for several years, so he knows what he's talking about.

If you have any additional queries, do let us know.
Director
Director
Send PM
We’re looking for a few good guys and gals to be part of our team

If you’ve been concerned about your extra-curricular experience not being solid enough for the good MBA universities, here’s a chance to rectify that. At MBA Crystal Ball, we’ve been doing some exciting and unconventional work in the area of MBA admissions consulting. The MCB brand has been growing within India AND outside. And we could do with some help from self-driven and entrepreneurial folks out there who’d like to be associated with us on short-term projects. You don’t need to be an MBA expert (though it won’t hurt if you are familiar with what we do) and you don’t need to be Indian. Just tell us what you are good at and we can find a … Read entire article »
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi Sameer,

Here's my profile. Could you please let me know your thoughts on the target schools that I can shoot for. I am concerned abt my GMAT and dont want to re-take it

GMAT - 680 (Q48, V35) :cry:
Acads - BE: GPA 8.3/10 from a leading college in India
X/XII - 81% /70%
Indian, Mlae Age - 32
Work Ex - 8.3 Years in HealthCare IT for a major IT Co. in India (4years in US and 4.3 in India).
Role - Associate Manager - Projects
Career Progress - 4 promotions till date
Achievements at work -
Created new business opportunities worth $3.2 Mi
Achieved 14 % productivity improvement for teams under me as opposed to an organizational target of 11%
Proposed and implemented cost reduction initiatives that lead to a total savings of $450,000 p.a. for the client
Have always been rated within the top 15% of my peers
Received numerous awards for excellence in performance - e.g. was awarded the "Best Boss"
Am currently leading an account wide initiative of reducing costs - target to achieve is a savings of $x Mi

ExtraCurriculars - Was a professional sportsman in India (volleyball) for 2 years (post XII) didnt do great stuff just represented my state in various tournaments
Founder of a club that helps promote sports as a career for the deserving
College volleyball captain for 3 years

Course - MBA in Consulting

Schools - NYU Stern, Fuqua, Notre Dame (safe - safe), Cornell (safe), Columbia

Thanks
Director
Director
Send PM
tusharnangnure wrote:
Dear Sir/Madam,
I'd appreciate it if you would acquaint me with the universities in US as per the details mentioned in my profile as follows:

10th grade-80.40%-SSC
12th grade-58%-HSC
Graduation in bachelor of computer Science -B.C.S-68.5%-Pune University
:
:
Please help me out as i am very confused about everything and deadlines are coming very near.
Thanking you in anticipation,
Regards,
Tushar Nangnure

Tushar Nangnure saheb, Sankrantichya belated shubhecchya!

tusharnangnure wrote:
Dear Sir/Madam,

Not sure why, but for a minute, I thought this post was addressed to Bobby Darling.

tusharnangnure wrote:
Thus i have completed 15years of education and for the 16th year of my education i am currently pursuing a 1 year post graduate diploma in Finance from Symbiosis International University.It is basically a weekend course however in the final degree it will not be mentioned as a part time course. However i would like to know if this course will be beneficial in fulfilling the requirement of a 15+ 1 year education.

I don't think this would qualify as 16 years of full-time education, specially considering the the PG from Symbiosis is a weekend course (very different, in fact, even from a part-time course). Don't try to veil the courses just to show them as MBA pre-requisites. That strategy could backfire in the long-run. Be honest and upfront in your applications. I would suggest checking with the univs that you are interested in, before you apply. If schools see you as a strong candidate, you might get a positive response (waiver!) from some of these schools. And that brings me to the next point about what will make you a strong candidate.

tusharnangnure wrote:
i would also like to inform you that i do not have any work experience, but i can make arrangements for providing a part time work experience certificate of 3 years.
:
Also, I am planning to apply to UCI Paul Merage SOB,USC Marshall SOB,Ohio state University,Carnegie Mellon Tepper SOB,University of Texas at Austin(McCombs),University Of California Davis SOB.Can I get into any of these schools considering my above mentioned profile?

For these schools, having a basic amount of real-world professional experience is very important. There are some state schools that would take you in with no experience as well. But I wouldn't recommend that. You've already spent a lot of time in gaining qualifications and degrees. Now is the time to balance it out with some hard-core work-ex. US jaanyachi ghaai karoo nakaa.

tusharnangnure wrote:
Please help me out as i am very confused about everything and deadlines are coming very near.

My take on this. Don't apply this year. Take some time to find out more about the schools you are targetting. Find out what they are looking for in prospective candidates. And then take a call.

tusharnangnure wrote:
I have started a firm in partnership.We provide financial consultancy wherein we deal with equity,mutual funds,commodities,NSDL services,Tax Consultancy,Real Estate Broking.In addition to this we also provide graphics,corporate branding, and IT solutions.We are also looking forward to start project funding.

I like this part. Spend some more time in structuring and growing this initiative. It'll serve you much more than all your qualifications put together.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hello,

Could you please evaluate my profile based on the following information:

1.) Education

Bachelor of Engineering - Mechanical Engineering - 71% Aggregate - India
PG Diploma - Advanced Manufacturing Technology and Systems Management - Pass - University of Manchester - UK

2.) Work Experience

2.5 years by now - 4/5 years at the time of matriculation.
Family Business - Working as General Manager - started my stint in inventory management - took some good effective initiatives - implemented Inventory Management Techniques such as ABC Analysis, Economic Order Quantity estimation for about 5000 parts in the inventory - estimated the operation cost of the warehouse with these techniques - marginally reduced the operative costs to about 60% of before.
took charge as a plant manager to set up a building material (aggregate) manufacturing plant in a village with my team of 20 people and further hired contractors and labor on my own - successfully set up the plant which is now in a running condition already - formed a joint venture with a company from Malaysia to supply them the material on a consistent basis - liaison with the project manager of that company on a daily basis to resolve day to day issues (transportation, financial etc) - reported directly to the Chairman of my company.

Now, I am promoted as a General Manager of the company and into setting up of a sponge iron plant of 200 Tonnes per day capacity - the company has also proposed a 10 MW power plant in the future for which I will be the incharge again - I am right now looking after its civil construction and assisting the labor and the contractors hired by me few months ago - trying to handle the project professionally with the help of tools like Microsoft Project, ERP, Excel Spreadsheets.

Company's employee strength -- 400

Have formed a charity organization which funds the education of our employees' children - motivate them to perform good in their academics in order to avail these benefits - have provided 3 lacs INR till now - this helps our employees too - they feel quite secured and consequently they get motivated to work hard.

Can write good essays demonstrating my leadership and management potential.

GMAT - yet to take! will target 720+ !

Please evaluate my profile based on the information given above.

Thanks

Chaitanya Bhansali
Director
Director
Send PM
Hey, impressive profile. Find my comments in line:

Hi Sameer,

Here's my profile. Could you please let me know your thoughts on the target schools that I can shoot for. I am concerned abt my GMAT and dont want to re-take it

Any particular reasons you want to avoid a re-take? Was this your first attempt? Considering your target list and the fact that you are in a competitive pool, it is much safer to be on the other side of 700!

GMAT - 680 (Q48, V35) :cry:
Acads - BE: GPA 8.3/10 from a leading college in India
X/XII - 81% /70%
Indian, Mlae Age - 32
Work Ex - 8.3 Years in HealthCare IT for a major IT Co. in India (4years in US and 4.3 in India).
Role - Associate Manager - Projects
Career Progress - 4 promotions till date
Achievements at work -
Created new business opportunities worth $3.2 Mi
Achieved 14 % productivity improvement for teams under me as opposed to an organizational target of 11%

Difficult to say whether this is impressive. If you can translate this into a $ number, maybe much more interesting to look at.
Proposed and implemented cost reduction initiatives that lead to a total savings of $450,000 p.a. for the client
Have always been rated within the top 15% of my peers
Received numerous awards for excellence in performance - e.g. was awarded the "Best Boss"
Again, much more impactful if you can quantify this in some way. For instance, if you can say only 2 guys get this among 1000, then we're talking.
Am currently leading an account wide initiative of reducing costs - target to achieve is a savings of $x Mi

ExtraCurriculars - Was a professional sportsman in India (volleyball) for 2 years (post XII) didnt do great stuff just represented my state in various tournaments
Even participation helps, trust me not many of us around are athletically inclined
Founder of a club that helps promote sports as a career for the deserving
College volleyball captain for 3 years

Course - MBA in Consulting
You'll have a tough time finding a school that offers this, unless one of the big consults have started their own venture :) . Unlike marketing or finance, consulting is not a "single" stream. It is in many ways, a milieu of all the streams - and hence the attraction towards it as well

Schools - NYU Stern, Fuqua, Notre Dame (safe - safe), Cornell (safe), Columbia

In summary, though you've got a pretty impressive profile, but I would strongly recommend that you think about your GMAT.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks a ton for the response. My primary reason for not taking GMAT again is time constraints.
The score that i have now is from 2007 when i had more time :) The 680 was my seond attempt taken just after a month or so without much planning. I took it because i knew that i was much better in verbal than my score represented. My first score was 650 (51Q,25V)
I am also looking at the possibility of EMBA if my profile fits in (columbia sturday, sunday)program). I know that i have reached a plateau in my career and need a catalyst from here on to reach where I want to in 5 years. I understand that my apps would be very different for the 2 programs (mba/emba) and believe i can articulate the need for an mba effectively. Is 680 not competetive for both the programs? Or rather should i consider only the mba and not the emba based on what i have.
Clarifications to my profile:
The productivioty improvement caused a coast savings of $6.3 mi
The award was among a group of 40 leads and managers

Posted from my mobile device
Director
Director
Send PM
How to improve your MBA profile for top business school admissions

The question pops up on various forums frequently and there are two categories of guys who want to know. The first set are a few months away from application deadlines and have recently realized that their competitors look and sound better on paper than they do. This is the ‘uski kameez meri kameez se safed kaise’ syndrome. … Read entire article »
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
Hi MBA Crystal Ball team,
Could you please help with my profile evaluation?
Many thanks.

MrUnderhill wrote:
Posted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 3:38 pm
Hi MBA Crystal Ball ,
Thanks for offering an introduction to your services !

My profile in short
Male , Indian
GMAT 740 (49Q/44V), 6.0 AWA
UG : BAchelor of Computer Engineering , 3.4/4 GPA
Work experience:Will have 6 years of experience when I plan to start my MBA
IBM 3yrs - Technology consulting and Service in India
Rated among Top 5% in IBM for last 3 years
4 Patent applications,few publications and customer facing experience
TCS - 1 year
EC:Working for a NGO for community schools to help deploy computer labs

Goal : After MBA, plan to work in Management/Strategy Consulting.

Based on my research, schools such as Booth , Columbia , Kellogg seem a Stretch goal to get an Admit, but without a scholarship.

However, I am not in a position to generate $ 120k ,required for these schools.
So I am searching for mid-ranked schools, which are a good balance of Brand + Scholarship where I can complete the MBA in approx $60k.

Question 1. I have shortlisted Emory - Goizueta as one of the target schools, which has a good probability of scholarship.
Could you please suggest any other schools with the Brand+Scholarship balance, which are known for Consulting ?

Question 2.
I have still 1.5 years before I apply.Could you please suggest how I could strengthen my profile, to move my Career towards a Consulting path ?
in terms of changing profile @ work or taking up EC activities.

Question 3 :
Does MBA Crystal Ball provide face to face consulting in Pune ?

Thanks and best regards.
Director
Director
Send PM
reachschools wrote:
Thanks a ton for the response. My primary reason for not taking GMAT again is time constraints.
The score that i have now is from 2007 when i had more time :) The 680 was my seond attempt taken just after a month or so without much planning. I took it because i knew that i was much better in verbal than my score represented. My first score was 650 (51Q,25V)
I am also looking at the possibility of EMBA if my profile fits in (columbia sturday, sunday)program). I know that i have reached a plateau in my career and need a catalyst from here on to reach where I want to in 5 years. I understand that my apps would be very different for the 2 programs (mba/emba) and believe i can articulate the need for an mba effectively. Is 680 not competetive for both the programs? Or rather should i consider only the mba and not the emba based on what i have.
Clarifications to my profile:
The productivioty improvement caused a coast savings of $6.3 mi
The award was among a group of 40 leads and managers

Posted from my mobile device

Well, it depends a lot on what you are looking at out of an MBA. And that ideally should dictate the choice between an EMBA and the normal one. An EMBA would usually be more useful if you want to use the MBA to grow / transition within your current organization. If you want to explore on a broader canvas, then a full blown MBA makes much more sense.

Thanks for the clarifications. The point is, you should think of conveying your story (as and when you do), in these terms rather than the ones you had :)

Cheers!
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  8   9   10   11   12   13   14  ...  41