Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 06:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Ask MBA Crystal Ball - Indian Candidates

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 28

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 10

Re: Ask MBA Crystal Ball - Indian Candidates [#permalink] New post 05 Jul 2011, 23:02
Entrepreneur & MBA aspirant Shipra’s 5-C Model

We generally don’t post testimonials on the blog, though we do have a bunch of them on our main site. But this one is a little hat-ke and we thought we should share it with you. When Shipra was revelling in her euphoric post MBA MAP phase, we asked her if she’s be willing to share some feedback about her experience. We’ve already got several feel-good testimonials (all genuine, by the way) on our MBA Crystal Ball Facebook page. So we thought Shipra would do something similar. Instead, what we got was an elaborate 5-C Model that could give Michael Porter (and his 5-Force Framework) a run for his money...Read more

Sameer Kamat | Founder - MBA Crystal Ball | Email: info at mbacrystalball dot com

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Ask MBA Crystal Ball - Indian Candidates [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2011, 22:02
6 Tips to overcome GMAT test anxiety

Question: Name 2 emotions that Ram Gopal Verma’s horror movies fail to elicit, while GMAT unintentionally succeeds.
Answer: Fear and Anxiety

A lot of us experience anxiety whenever we take up a new task or are subject to an unfamiliar environment. In the GMAT test, considering that the stakes are high, it is common to suffer from test anxiety which is likely to adversely affect your output. Anxiety management may not completely take care of the pre-test jitters but can surely go a long way towards reducing your stress and improving your performance. Here are a few tips that may prove handy: 1. Be confident It is good to aim high however remember that the GMAT is not the only qualifying criteria to get into a good B-school. You can work harder on the other … Read entire article »

Sameer Kamat | Founder - MBA Crystal Ball | Email: info at mbacrystalball dot com

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Ask MBA Crystal Ball - Indian Candidates [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2011, 02:23
Shreya Kundu on the MBA MAP

MCB's MAP was an eye opener for me too. It gave a me a lot of insight about the process of how a B school would like to select its future candidate.

Sameer's feedback on the interview was very candid which has given me a lot of confidence and the know how to start with the application and essay writing process. What I liked the most was the proactiveness with which Sameer did the entire process. I am glad that I went through the process because now I feel more equipped.

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Ask MBA Crystal Ball - Indian Candidates [#permalink] New post 18 Jul 2011, 03:25
Hi Sameer,

My requirement is slightly different. I want to apply for PhD is Supply chain in US. Please evaluate my profile and give me an honest advice on the schools that I should target.

After Ph D, I want to go for teaching profession.

GMAT : 670

Total Work Exp: 17 years

Work Domain :1) I started my career with L&T, a private company and worked for two years on thermal power construction site.
2) I have been working with Indian Railways in its materials management divisions for the last 15 years at different positions and places. During these years I have worked in field looking after planning, receipt and distribution of materials to actual consumers as well as in corporate office looking after procurement, sourcing, inventory management etc. Presently, I am looking after innovation, system improvement etc in our internal system to increase transparency, equity and fairness in our supply chain.

Gender - Male
Age - 42 years
Nationality - Indian

Education Details :
M. A. in Public Policy and Sustainable Development- Teri university, New Delhi, 2010, A Grade
M Tech in Environmental management , IIT Roorke, India, 2006, Top 5 in class (72%)
B.E. Civil Engineering NIT Trichy, India, 1991 Top 5 in class (82%)
XII-63%
X-71%

ECs:
have won first prize in National Student Design Competetion-1991
General Secretary of Entrepreneurship Development Cell, NIT Trichy 1990-1991
Executive Member, Roorkee University Student Association 2004-05
Have been involved in executive function for Bharat scout and guide, Northern Railway State unit.

My queries:
• Can I secure admission with this score and profile in ISB, India (Fellow program) or any other US university with scholarship?

* Which university should I apply?

Regards,
Sanjay
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 5

Re: Ask MBA Crystal Ball - Indian Candidates [#permalink] New post 18 Jul 2011, 15:01
Hi,

Firstly thanks for your time and guidance. Please have a look at my profile and send me your valuable suggestions/comments:

Indian, Male, Age: 27

GMAT 730, (Q49, 86%ile), (V40, 89%ile), (AWA 5.0)

Academic:

Undergrad: Civil Engg, IIT Madras, GPA: 7.32/10,
Masters: Transportation Engg, Texas A&M University, Major GPA 4.0/4.0 (Total 3.9/4.0)
Graduate Certificate in Business, GPA 3.75/4.0, Mays Business School, Texas A&M University (This is kind of a Minor. with a total of 4 courses, 12 credits).

Certifications:

CFA Level 3 Candidate.
Professional Engineer, State of California.

Work experience details:

Full Time (Close to 4 years by Aug 2012), Dept. of Transportation, CA
July 2011 to Present, Associate Project Manager
July 2009 to June 2011, Assistant Project Engineer
Nov 2009 to June 2010, Assistant Project Manager
Oct 2008 to Oct 2009, Transportation Engineer

Part Time ( 2 yrs, 20 hrs per week), Texas Transportation Institute, TX
Sep 2006 to Aug 2008, Research Assistant

Pre - MBA work experience areas : Infrastructure Engineering, and Project Management
After - MBA plans: Short-Term: Infrastructure/Project Finance, Long Term: Investment Management and Private Equity.

Potential Points To Be Highlighted In Essays:

From Professional Life:

● Supervised a politically highly sensitive project which was among the first few projects funded by Obama’s $ 40 B infrastructure stimulus package of 2008. Project became very crucial as it was allotted to a contractor with criminal history, and the whole crew was very less experienced (had to contract out the project to that company because of the reservation limitations). I took over and lead the project after the Senior Engineer who was supposed to lead that project left with in the first quarter of the project as he found it very difficult to manage the contractor and his crew.
● Saved close to $1.5 Million on a highway construction project by coming up with few innovative approaches to deal with unexpected issues raised during the project.
● Developed new data analysis methods which are now followed by our whole project mgmt group.
● Among the youngest in the department to receive a professional engineer license and consequently to authorize State projects.
● Worked on the Caldecott Tunnel Project ( a $ 420 million project, Nation’s second largest highway project supported by the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 )

From Personal Life:

● the way me, my education, and my career progression stood up as a good example and inspiration for many kids in my village and neighboring villages.
● my commitment to make sure that no kid from my village would drop out of school (until at least primary school) due to the lack of financial resources or guidance. Did set up a Fund to fund their primary school education.
● involvement with several child education related activities through CSECC (California State Employees Charitable Campaign), CRY (Child Rights and You), and AID (Aid for India’s Development)

Other:

● Worked on a start up “Biglifeindia”. Idea was to generate superior returns on the investor’s investments by pooling and investing them in growing sectors like infrastructure development, real estate, large-scale agriculture etc, in India. Temporarily suspended the project because of unfavorable political developments and consequent new regulations (Andhra Pradesh Micro Finance Institutions Act, 2010).

Target Schools:
R1: Booth, Columbia, Wharton or Harvard, MIT or LBS
R2: Wharton/Harvard, MIT/LBS, Haas, Anderson, McCombs.

Please send me your valuable suggestions and comments regarding my following concerns:

1) At which of my targeted schools, do I have a decent chance to put a competitive application?

2) Is it worth retaking GMAT, given that I am confident of increasing the score from 730 to 750: both from admits perspective and scholarships perspective.

3) Given that I have time to apply only one of either Wharton or Harvard, also either MIT or LBS in first round, is there any advantage of picking one school over other in R1 vs R2.

4) Areas where I should specifically concentrate to make my application more competitive at my targeted schools.

Thanks a lot for your time and help.

Ram
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Ask MBA Crystal Ball - Indian Candidates [#permalink] New post 18 Jul 2011, 18:02
Hi

Thanks a lot for all the work you are doing here. It is really very helpful.

It would be great if you can evaluate my profile:

Indian, Male Age-27

GMAT
710 (49 QA, 35 VA) AWA 5.0

Academics
B. Tech, Indian Institute of Information Technology, Allahabad (6.93/10) – 2003 -2007
CFA Level 3 Candidate
Technical certifications from IBM & Sun Microsystems

Professional Experience
Full Time from July, 2007. Will be around 5 years in August 2012.
December 2008 – Present – Business Analyst
December 2008 – July 2007 Software Engineer

Business Analyst at Royal Bank of Scotland (December 2008 – Present)
Functional Areas – Corporate Markets

Highlights
• Managed business software requirements for 3 projects, totaling to £ 25 million.
• One of the youngest B.A at RBS. Skip level promotion from Software Associate to BA.
• Assessed & Reformed organizational processes through a Work-Out initiative, leading to savings of £ 200,000.
• Estimated & formulated business cases for various corporate transformation programmes. These transformation programmes were introduced as an aftermath of global financial crisis in 2008.
• Led a team of software developers to deliver a critical solution for automation of account opening process targeted at Business & Commercial customers.
• Established and fostered relationships with various business and technology stakeholders. First to be selected out of my team in India to work on-site with business stakeholders in London & Wimbledon.
• Imparted domain based trainings to software developers and project managers.

Software developer at Sapient Corporation (July 2007 – December 2008)
Functional Areas – Retail Banking & Telecom Billing

Highlights
• Led a work stream during the training project.
• Designed and developed software components for an online broadband provisioning system for a large telecom client.
• Raised Rs. 200,000 for young students as part of charity drive at Sapient Corp.

Personal Life
Born and brought up in a small town, not a lot was expected of me. I come from a traditional family with business background where the usual expectation is to enter the family business. By breaking the mould, I have set an example for children of my family to follow their instincts and interests.

Short-term & Long-term Goals

Short-term
Want to move to the front office (customer facing) job in portfolio management. Having done my share of software coding and business requirement analysis, I feel a front office or customer facing job will provide me the needed knowledge required to produce new software for the portfolio management domain.

Long-term
I want to set-up my own company which will focus on development of new and innovative software’s for portfolio management. I want to start with products targeted at corporate customers and then extend these to retail customers. I wish to provide low-cost portfolio management services to mass consumers for e.g. the growing middle-class in India.

Target Schools
R1 - Booth , Columbia , Duke, Darden & Kenan Flager
R2 - Wharton , Kellogg ,Ross , NYU Stern & McCombs
R3 - None

I havent decided on the non-US schools but I am primarily considering ISB , NUS and INSEAD.

Will be very beneficial if you can respond to my following queries:

1. How do you evaluate my profile? ( My goal is to get in any of the top 15 colleges. Primary focus is on school which is good in finance)

2. My GPA is pretty low ( 6.93/10). How is this compared to applicants from a similar background. Is my GPA insufficient or a negative point?

3. Is my GMAT score weak? How much is the benefit of retaking the GMAT given that I may increase my score from 20-30 points only.

4. Is my selection of schools too ambitious? Which schools would you suggest as the top priority?

5. What areas should I concentrate in my profile to make it strong? What are the corresponding weaknesses that you see in my profile?

Thanks a lot for your time and help.

Regards
Sameer
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Ask MBA Crystal Ball - Indian Candidates [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2011, 20:34
MBA Jobs – How to choose a post-MBA career goal

If your reason for pursuing an MBA is to spice up your career and give it a new direction, vigour and vitality (is that sounding like one of those shady ayurvedic aphrodisiac advertisements?), it would help if you spend some time to decide which way you would like to take it. And do that before you start your MBA application, so Admission Committees (Adcoms) know you’ve done your homework. If you have no clue about it, here’s a general framework that you can use to structure your thoughts.… Read entire article »

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Ask MBA Crystal Ball - Indian Candidates [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2011, 22:10
sanjayviti wrote:
I want to apply for PhD is Supply chain in US. Please evaluate my profile and give me an honest advice on the schools that I should target. After Ph D, I want to go for teaching profession.

GMAT : 670 , Total Work Exp: 17 years
:
My queries:
• Can I secure admission with this score and profile in ISB, India (Fellow program) or any other US university with scholarship?

Hi Sanjay,

The application evaluation process for PhD programs is different from a regular MBA program. But the essential principles don't change. You'd still need to demonstrate that you were/are excellent in most of the things you've undertaken. However, in contrast to a regular MBA, when it comes to doctoral options, there's a greater emphasis on academics (and I'd club GMAT into that category). Also, you'd need to be able to communicate your strong desire to get into the teaching profession. So think of a good answer to queries like 'why/how did you develop an interest in teaching after 17 yrs of work-ex'.

Just like it's MBA program, the Fellow program at ISB is also very competitive. 670 could be a hurdle to cross.
Many of the top US schools also offer good PhD programs, but there the competition is global, so no cakewalk.

Having said all that, you could start off by looking at Smeal's PhD program at Penn State university. Strong in Supply Chain and once of the good (not great) brands that will not be as difficult to crack into.

If you need help along the way, drop us an email.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Ask MBA Crystal Ball - Indian Candidates [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2011, 05:47
Few weeks back I was looking at the “evaluate my profile” pages on gmatclub and pagalguy. I was trying to find someone with a similar profile to see what his/her choice of schools and chances of getting it. Quite clueless about the school selection process, which is the 1st step, I basically selected schools mostly based on their rankings and mean gmat score, big mistake.
As I was browsing through these pages I came across Sameer, MBA CRYSTAL BALL. What I really liked about his style was his straight answers with a touch of humour. Eventually I signed up for MAP and got more than I bargained for.
The MAP really gives you an idea of the whole application process. During the mock interview Sameer pushed me out of my comfort zone. Apart from the usual question like why mba, why this uni, why now etc., he also asked some really hard hitting questions which I never thought about. On the whole the MAP gives you a peek into the “admission committee’s mind”.
I also liked the Personalised attention that I was getting. Sameer took the extra effort to understand me and my work experience, which is quite different (hoping it tips on the advantageous side).
On a final note, I would like to say that MCB's MAP is unparallel in both quality and price.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Ask MBA Crystal Ball - Indian Candidates [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2011, 00:41
Oxford MBA (Said) – How Jaskirat got an Oxbridge brand on his resume

Oxford University is a name that’s been around in the academic world for 8 centuries. If you have no clue how far back in time this was, it was after dinosaurs had disappeared from the face of earth and before internet sensation Govind Tiwari discovered the transcendental world of Photoshop. Jaskirat Baweja discovered Oxford much later, but he knew this was the place for him to pursue his MBA...Read More

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Ask MBA Crystal Ball - Indian Candidates [#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2011, 19:35
Beyond The MBA Hype – Book Trailer (Pre-release)

My MBA book titled ‘Beyond The MBA Hype‘ (watch the YouTube video trailer) will be released soon. It’s aimed at working professionals, students, parents, applicants and anyone who thinks an MBA is a magic wand that can set things right.

While most of the other MBA books in the market tell you how to crack the admissions process and walk into the world of high-paying glamorous jobs, this one will prompt you to step back and ask yourself if this is the path you should be following, when there are far more easier, cheaper and less-risky options to achieve the same goals.

Read this before you spend a single rupee on GMAT prep, B-school applications, consultants (yup, including us). It might just save you 50 lakh rupees and 2 years of your productive life. Ok, serious part over. Now for some fun.… Read entire article »

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Ask MBA Crystal Ball - Indian Candidates [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2011, 06:25
The Economist team shares tips for MBA virtual fairs

We were approached by The Economist team to help spread the word for their MBA virtual fair. Most Indian applicants can’t fly out to visit international schools, so the next best thing to do is reach out to Admissions committee members in the virtual world. An online fair like this one would be a good opportunity for Indian candidates to interact with school representatives from multiple schools – no visa hassles, no expenses and no dress code.

We requested the team to share some tips exclusively for our readers, and they obliged. Simple ideas coming from a credible source takes on a new meaning. So read on and register for free.

Read more

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
Schools: INSEAD '14
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Re: Ask MBA Crystal Ball - Indian Candidates [#permalink] New post 11 Aug 2011, 23:58

Last edited by alokag on 14 Nov 2011, 05:49, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Ask MBA Crystal Ball - Indian Candidates [#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2011, 02:17
McCombs Texas MBA (UT) – Management Consultant Arsh gets a World Bank job

Differentiation is considered a virtue when it comes to business school admissions. And management consultant Arsh Sharma didn’t have to struggle too much to come up with interesting stories for his essays, as his entire career has been a little hat-ke. His pre-MBA resume had references to World Bank, United Nations, Government of Ethiopia. His stint as a Performance Improvement Consultant with Pricewaterhouse helped him gain some kick-a$$ experience in unconventional areas.

During his MBA, he completed an internship with the UIDAI [Unique Identification Authority of India - Government of India's National Unique IDs to over a billion people, the world's biggest project in terms of scale and impact]. Shriman Arsh mahoday stays modest and talks about his journey....Read more

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Ask MBA Crystal Ball - Indian Candidates [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2011, 22:42
Indian MBAs going to business schools in Singapore, the UK and Italy!

If you’re considering doing your MBA outside India, you’re probably feeling overwhelmed by the number of business schools out there, all of them making very similar claims about how great they’ll be for your career.

Businessbecause.com recently interviewed three Indian MBAs studying in three very different countries: Singapore, the UK and Italy. Two of them are engineers by training and one is a medic. They all have very specific reasons why they chose their MBA program. Read more

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Ask MBA Crystal Ball - Indian Candidates [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2011, 20:44
namala wrote:
Few weeks back I was looking at the “evaluate my profile” pages on gmatclub and pagalguy. I was trying to find someone with a similar profile to see what his/her choice of schools and chances of getting it. Quite clueless about the school selection process, which is the 1st step, I basically selected schools mostly based on their rankings and mean gmat score, big mistake.
As I was browsing through these pages I came across Sameer, MBA CRYSTAL BALL. What I really liked about his style was his straight answers with a touch of humour. Eventually I signed up for MAP and got more than I bargained for.
The MAP really gives you an idea of the whole application process. During the mock interview Sameer pushed me out of my comfort zone. Apart from the usual question like why mba, why this uni, why now etc., he also asked some really hard hitting questions which I never thought about. On the whole the MAP gives you a peek into the “admission committee’s mind”.
I also liked the Personalised attention that I was getting. Sameer took the extra effort to understand me and my work experience, which is quite different (hoping it tips on the advantageous side).
On a final note, I would like to say that MCB's MAP is unparallel in both quality and price.

Thanks for the kind words, buddy. A few points on the highlighted phrases above, for others who are still in the process of figuring out the answers.

Most applicants are in a similar situation when it comes to selecting bschools. A quick filter on the rankings and the average GMAT scores and they're done! That's the worst way to approach the entire process. These aspects tell you nothing about 'FIT'.

There are also many misconceptions about what the Adcoms look for, and often it's a matter of 'I've read on discussion forums that this what they are looking for in candidates, so let me approach it with a tick-box kind of approach'. Again, an incorrect way of approaching the application process.

That's what we are trying to change with the MBA MAP. Hope more folks realise this early on in the game and tweak their strategies accordingly.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Ask MBA Crystal Ball - Indian Candidates [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2011, 00:26
Business & Creativity: You could be dull in another era. Not this one.

Charismatic, mesmerising and creative. Three adjectives that are associated with the Advertising industry (what were you thinking?). Unfortunately the same 3 adjectives are seldom used while referring to MBAs or mainstream business. In a world where following ‘best practices’ (nice way to say, ‘stop getting creative’) gets incentivised, clichéd terms like ‘thinking out the box’ generate sarcastic laughter more than inspiration.

So we asked Vrinda Gupta to share some perspectives with us, about lessons that we can learn from the advertising world to add a little more zing to our day-to-day work. Vrinda completed her graduation in Advertising from Pennsylvania State University (consistently being on the Dean’s List) and has worked in New York, Los Angeles and Mumbai with the some of the best names in the business – from Nike to Nickelodeon (not saying that just for impact). Over the next few blog posts, Vrinda takes us into the overlapping worlds of creativity and business. ... Read more

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Ask MBA Crystal Ball - Indian Candidates [#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2011, 23:27
alokag wrote:
4. I have 7 years of Post MBA Experience in leading Corporate – CITIFINANCIAL / HDFC BANK / TATA CAPITAL - Retail Consumer Finance - (NON IT BACKGROUND)

Alok,

You've shared a lot of info about your professional accomplishments (promotions, salary growth, awards). But I'm still not sure what exactly you do. Are you into personal loans, investments, micro-credit, asset based lending..?

alokag wrote:
7. Languages - Hindi / English / Tamil / Bengali ( if this helps in diversity ?)

Most Indians speak multiple languages. If you are planning to work in other countries where Tamil or Bangla are the official languages and where you will be utilising these skils, then it would be an advantage. Otherwise, I'd say don't stretch this one too much.

alokag wrote:
- Based on voluntarily work – we educated 27 villages about Financial planning
- Convinced 874 families to enroll for the program

Nice work, sir. Proud of you. Please keep the momentum going for such initiatives after you get into some top school.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Ask MBA Crystal Ball - Indian Candidates [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2011, 06:10
MBA Essays: No NGO, Non-profit, social work experience?

After taking their GMAT test and scoring a 700+, many MBA applicants start thinking about the rest of their MBA application components and that’s when they start realising about the (most perceived) gaps and flaws in their otherwise bullet-proof armour. Then they resort to last-minute workarounds to cover up those shortcomings. And the results can be far from what you expected.

That’s the issue of approaching the MBA admissions as a checklist process. Let’s do a role-play. You are doing a status-check on your MBA application.

GMAT score: Done, 730 [smirk on the face]…I’m such a stud
TOEFL: Done, piece of cake [smirk still on]
Extra curriculars: Some sports work in college days…aah..how I miss the cheerleading…and the cheerleaders! [smirk expands to a silly grin now]
...Read more

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 94

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Ask MBA Crystal Ball - Indian Candidates [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2011, 09:30
deleted

Last edited by dutchgerman17 on 28 Jun 2012, 23:06, edited 1 time in total.
Re: Ask MBA Crystal Ball - Indian Candidates   [#permalink] 28 Aug 2011, 09:30