Please evaluate my profile - Questions are at the endDEMOGRAPHICS
: Yet to take. Consistently scored 720-750 in the prep exams taken. Expect the same score in GMAT.
Plan to go for an MBA degree in around 2015. Reason: Financial constraints & lack of work experience. EDUCATION
Delhi University, Faculty Of Technology -- New Delhi, India (Aug 2006 – Jun 2010)
Bachelor Of Engineering, Manufacturing Processes & Automation SCORE: 74.0 % -- top 15% in a batch of 60 -- Academic scholarship recipient
Senior School Certificate (CBSE, India) -- 90.8 % (2006) -- School Rank 1 -- Academic scholarship recipient
Secondary School Certificate (CBSE, India) -- 95.0% (2004) -- All India Rank 16 and District Rank 1-- Academic scholarship recipientWORK EXPERIENCE
Working as Drilling Fluids Field Engineer in Halliburton Energy Services Group, No.2 energy services company in the world. Based in India (July 2010 - Present)
I provide technical consultation and the following On-site services to clients:
• Drilling fluids formulation and maintenance. • Contingency management
• Fluid testing and well site data analysis • Documentation and costing
• Inventory & associated logistics management • Ensuring adherence to HS&E standards
• High responsibility job; I solely represent my company to the client on the field.
• People management or leading people is a part of my job. Often have to improvise at work.
• I have not done anything extraordinary or exemplary at work yet except maybe securing 3rd position in a class of 20 during a 3 month training program (I do not really consider this an achievement).
• Mostly technical and analytic work and it is expected to be the same in the coming 4 years or so, although with increased responsibilities and more complex operations.
• My job profile provides a fair share of international experience for work as well as work related training. I also get frequent opportunities to work with expats when working in India. I have work experience in India, Houston(USA), Papua New Guinea, Indonesia.EXTRA CURRICULAR ACTIVITIES
• Freelanced on a strategy consulting project for a small scale production firm in India. Because of the great results of the project, the company granted me another project (operations optimization) next summer for its sister concern.
• Worked as summer intern in a startup analytics & business modelling firm in India on a market research project for 2 rival automobile brands.
• Worked as summer intern in a IT services giant in India.(Completely irrelevant to my profile - this was my first internship ever in first year of college - served as a first step towards corporate grooming)
• Served as the Vice-President of the organizing committee of the annual cultural festival of my college - 4 day fest with footfall of about 20,000. Led a team of about 120 people in different departments.
• Served as PR coordinator of an NGO in New Delhi region for an year.
• Worked as Creative Head in the filming of the first ever promotional video for my college.
• Served as Head of Student Council in school - led various teams in cultural, academic, technical and sports events management.INTERESTS
: • Fitness Training Enthusiast • Amateur Nutritionist • Avid Basketballer • Science Fiction Reader LANGUAGES KNOWN
: English (Proficient), Hindi (Native), Punjabi (Native), French (Basic - No Certification)POST MBA GOALS
Operations management roles preferably in the energy sector (Not very keen to change careers though not totally opposed to it). I am keenly interested in energy sector consulting and hence open for jobs in general management consulting firms but in relevant roles.
My goals are subject to change and refinement as I progress in the industry in terms of knowledge and experience.FINANCIAL PLANNING
I feel, in about 5 years time, I would be able to save more than 20 lac INR for MBA through systematic investments which I have already started implementing.
I am interested in ISB and IIM A(PGPX), as an MBA degree in India would definitely cost less than one abroad. But on the other hand, I really want to have global exposure preferably in Europe - INSEAD is my dream B-school
. Only constraint is lack of finance.
More interested in a one year program.QUERIES
1. Please provide a general evaluation and let me know about specific strengths and weaknesses of my profile. And any advice on how to improve/correct them over a long period of time to suit my goals. Also, if you don't mind letting me know which part of my applications may be too unproductive to mention.
2. Since, I have been working only for 15 months now, how much work experience should I gain in order to achieve desired goals? Is my target of 5 years a decent choice?
3. Suggest some schools (if possible) which would best serve my interests considering my financial constraints.
4. All of my extracurricular activities, except for my personal interests as listed, are a thing of the past now. This is due to the hectic nature of my work. Is a that a negative point?
5. Any other advice.
Thanks in anticipation !!
Really appreciate the mentoring for MBA aspirants.