Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Sep 2014, 22:31

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Ask MBA Crystal Ball - Indian Candidates

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Ask MBA Crystal Ball - Indian Candidates [#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2011, 05:34
Hi MBA Crystal Ball,

I just joined this forum and woud like to know where I stand in terms of targeting MBA programmes in UK. I have already applied to some schools (results below) and don't want to spend an extra year to figure out the right category of schools I should be applying to.

My profile:
GMAT: 740
Current status: Indian citizen, UK Permanent Resident
Education: IIT-Bombay Dual degree 2003. GPA 6.91 (its low)
Work-ex: 3 year in India, 5+ years in UK. Total 8+ years. Currently working in UK
International work ex: Have been to around 30 countries for various assignments while living in UK
Sector: IT (too competitive for B-school applications I guess)
Company: Worked for Motorola while in India, now working for a small company (25 people) in UK
Designation: Services Manager (Reports to CEO).
Work profile: Resposible for programme management, professional services and applications development. Speaker in trade shows, etc ...
Extra-curriculars: Loads of them during and school and college years in the area of sports and performance arts. Currently involved in sports coaching in UK for juniors and also a non-profit club committee member.
Expectations: Want to work in UK post MBA in business development area to start with. Long term is not clear - may be UK or India. Definitely not US - have been there many times for work/holidays and its not my type.

Recent results: Insead jan 2012 R3 (rejected), Judge R1 sep 2012 (rejected), LBS/cranfiled 2012 (applied and waiting), Said 2012 (will apply). Thinking about ISB too (applied there 6 years ago, was shorlisted for interview but eventually rejected).

Should I be targeting a different set of schools? Waiting for comments ....
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 24

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Ask MBA Crystal Ball - Indian Candidates [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2011, 09:36
Deleted

Last edited by CaptainM on 19 Jun 2013, 03:51, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 3

Re: Ask MBA Crystal Ball - Indian Candidates [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2011, 11:08
Hi all Indian aspirants / MBA crystal ball,

I would like to know feedback on HULT - i have been hearing many things about this school - all not so good - does anyone know enough to share few things
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 28

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 9

Re: Ask MBA Crystal Ball - Indian Candidates [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2011, 22:23
5 signs that you are not a serious MBA applicant

The MBA applicant from one of the elite engineering institutions in India had posted some very basic questions on a discussion forum about his application to the toughest bschool in the world. And the query ended with – ‘Deadline is very close. Please answer urgently!!!

This is not an isolated case. If you spend enough time on the MBA forums you come across many such queries that make you wonder if the people posting it are really serious about their MBA plans. No doubt, these are smart, intelligent people who can do wonders if they get the right opportunities (which is what a top MBA is all about), but their attitude towards the MBA application process … Read entire article »

Sameer Kamat | Founder - MBA Crystal Ball | Email: info at mbacrystalball dot com

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Ask MBA Crystal Ball - Indian Candidates [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2011, 22:37
oblix123 wrote:
Hi MBA Crystal Ball,
I just joined this forum and woud like to know where I stand in terms of targeting MBA programmes in UK. I have already applied to some schools (results below) and don't want to spend an extra year to figure out the right category of schools I should be applying to.
:
Should I be targeting a different set of schools? Waiting for comments ....

Hi oblix,

I've responded to your post on the other site. Do check it out and let me know if you have further follow-up queries.

Sameer Kamat | Founder - MBA Crystal Ball | Email: info at mbacrystalball dot com

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Ask MBA Crystal Ball - Indian Candidates [#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2011, 06:51
NUS Singapore MBA – MBA Crystal Ball interviews Alan Chua (Marketing & Admissions)

NUS Singapore’s MBA program has been quite popular with Indian applicants, for reasons that we covered in an earlier article on NUS way back in March. Many months later when we shared the article with Alan Chua, responsible for marketing and admissions at NUS, he felt it was a ‘very interesting and independent take on the program‘.

We asked him if he’d be interested in an interview with MBA Crystal Ball. Over the last few months, Alan has been travelling extensively, attending MBA fairs, meeting prospective candidates. Despite his super-hectic schedule, he agreed to answer our questions and we really appreciate the gesture. In this tête-à-tête, Alan shares with us key aspects of the MBA program at NUS, what applicants need to keep in mind. ...Read more

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 3

Re: Ask MBA Crystal Ball - Indian Candidates [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2011, 01:07
Hi all / Crystal Ball team.....

Happy Diwali to all and best wishes with your MBA applications.

MBA is not the end ........it's only a means to an end......
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Ask MBA Crystal Ball - Indian Candidates [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2011, 22:10
Our friends from The Economist team have approached us again with a request to spread the word about their online MBA fairs. The response from apne desi bhai-bandhu to their last event was very positive. So if you are planning to target full-time or executive MBA programs, do check it out.

The Economist's Online Fairs

Meet admissions officers from full-time and executive MBA programs around the world at these FREE online fairs. Gain insight into the MBA experience by chatting with alumni, watching webinars and videos, and downloading resources.

The Economist's Full-time MBA Fair - online November 9th and 10th 2011 - FREE
** Sign up now for your chance to win a free iPad 2 when you visit 5+ business school booths on November 9th-10th. **

The Economist's Executive MBA Fair - online November 11th 2011 - FREE
** Sign up now for your chance to win a free iPad 2 when you visit 3+ business school booths on November 11th 2011. **

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Ask MBA Crystal Ball - Indian Candidates [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2011, 00:08
Low GMAT score success stories: Never give up

Got a low GMAT score and wondering what to do about it? This post is for you. Read, digest and act!

You remember Shipra, right? She’s the spunky gal who came up with her 5-C Model in an earlier post that almost rocked Michael Porter’s dominance in the MBA framework market. If her last post got you wondering if she is only good with words & theoretical MBA marketing frameworks or if she can actually deliver the goods, she’s back with the answer. … Read entire article

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 1

Help needed in profile evaluation [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2011, 01:24
10th - 84%
12th - 95.5%
BTech - EEE - 83% JNTU Hyderabad

Work experience - SW engineer . 5 years (Fortune 100 company - embedded systems)
Indian

GMAT score - 680 (Q49 , V 33)

Target schools:
UCLA, NYU Stern, Cornell, University of Cambridge

Extra curricular activies:
- President of college association , presented technical papers
- Community work as part of CSR

Looking for a general management degree (not yet decided in specialization. Not considering marketing as I do not have much interest in that field)

I would like to know whether I have a chance of getting admission in above mentioned colleges? Am I not including colleges which I should have considered.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Ask MBA Crystal Ball - Indian Candidates [#permalink] New post 06 Nov 2011, 01:14
MBA Essays: 9 pitfalls to avoid while writing business school application essays

It’s a relief to be done with the GMAT preparation and move on to the main MBA application. The most ominous part now is to write the MBA essays. The best written MBA essays can open up the doors to the final round – MBA interviews. But for many, an interview may never happen as the Admission Committee has already made up its mind (based on your essays) that you aren’t good enough for their program for that year.

You may have done your research on what you should do when it comes to MBA essays. However it’s also a good idea to have the knowledge of what to avoid in your MBA essays so that you don’t inadvertently shoot yourself in the foot. So here’s a list of 8 things to watch out for while working on your MBA application...read more.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Ask MBA Crystal Ball - Indian Candidates [#permalink] New post 06 Nov 2011, 01:18
mbamaster wrote:
Hi all / Crystal Ball team.....

Happy Diwali to all and best wishes with your MBA applications.

MBA is not the end ........it's only a means to an end......

Sirji, I checked out your other posts (including the obsession with Hult) and though I have my theories, frankly I'm not sure what your intention is.

But anyway, good luck to you my friend. May Goddess Lakshmi and Goddess Saraswati shower their blessings on you.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Ask MBA Crystal Ball - Indian Candidates [#permalink] New post 06 Nov 2011, 01:23
IIMA PGPX careers: Private Equity jobs on your mind?

The Indian Institute of Management, Ahmedabad (IIMA) offers a one year MBA program called the Post Graduate Program in Management for Executives (PGPX) that is unlike any other in the world. Exaggeration? Not really if you consider the profile of candidates targeting the program (average age of 34 years, average work experience of over 10 years with 4.5 years internationally) and the extremely competitive selection process (average GMAT score 713). None of the global programs can match that combination.

We found the perfect alumnus (from the first PGPX batch) to tell us more about the program. Vivek Joshi had a Chemical Engineering degree from the Indian Institute of Technology, Mumbai (IIT-B) and a Masters degree in Chemical Engineering from USA. He placed his trust in the PGPX course when the course was just launched, did amazingly well academically and took up a job in Private Equity. He is currently an Associate Director at...Read more

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Ask MBA Crystal Ball - Indian Candidates [#permalink] New post 14 Nov 2011, 05:05
Entrepreneurship: Thinking of making money from a franchisee business model?

In the book ‘Beyond The MBA Hype’ I talk about alternative options to explore to reach some popular post-MBA goals. Launching an entrepreneurial venture is one of them.

Probably that’s what prompted an MBA aspirant on one of the MBA discussion forums where MBA Crystal Ball has a presence, to wonder whether he should re-direct his tuition fees (roughly 60 lakh rupees) to being a franchise owner for a popular fast-food chain.

His situation was unique as he had already applied to several business schools and had got an offer from a good school. But he was unsure of what the two years in a classroom would give him that he couldn’t get directly. He expressed his … Read entire article »

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V35
GMAT 2: 690 Q50 V33
GMAT 3: 730 Q50 V39
GPA: 3.6
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 3

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Ask MBA Crystal Ball - Indian Candidates [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2011, 12:19
Hi Sameer,

I need suggestion about the direction I need to take from here on. I gave my GMAT recently and scored 690 (48 Q and 37 V). I am confused with this score.

Brief -
I am an IT consultant from India ( I know!). I had 3.6 GPA in undergrad and I did my MS from Wayne State University with GPA of 3.3.

I have been working for over 5 years now and I enjoy my job. I like to lead from the front and I am ready to solve any problem thrown at me. I have strong recos from my current and previous bosses who themselves went to MIT and Univ of Wisconsin @ Madison respectively, if that helps at all.

But in last 3-4 years I have developed a new passion and I want to make it my profession. I have almost been working 14-16 hours a day (actual job and parallely pursuing my passion) since last few years. I am very passionate about investment management/equity research.

I want to make a career switch to investment/asset management. For this reason going to university below top 15 is not an option for me. I read books after books on investments and I enjoy going through company reports. I have my own little software to calculate the fair value of a company. Last year I came across some IB interview questions from UT Austin and was able to answer more than 60% of questions by the bank. I have never ever felt such clarity of goal and direction in life as in last few years. I have started seeing myself as a portfolio manager in 10 years time.

I single handedly launched a website for mutual funds that is and will be shortly doing so for stocks. This is non profit website that is for people who cant afford professional service.
http://www.mutualfundsforfuture.com/

I have been maintaining few portfolios since three years. In fact I plan on opening a company down the line that will provide a similar service but will be far more detailed.
http://socialize.morningstar.com/NewSocialize/PortfolioSharing/SharedPortfolioSnapshot.aspx?q=BC40CC613C939B0C

But the bottom line is - Is 690 enough for career switch?

On personal front I enjoying running marathons (I have couple of half marathons under my belt and am planning on a full next year) and I play a bit of guitar. Every now and then I do some volunteer work for the Indian temple in Austin.

Thanks
Sumeet

Thanks
Sumeet
www.midasreturns.wordpress.com

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Ask MBA Crystal Ball - Indian Candidates [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2011, 00:55
MBA essays: How important is the word count

Having word limit problems while writing MBA essays? If not, sooner or later, you’ll face the frustrating roadblock. Here are a few questions that may pop up in your mind about the word limits for your MBA essays and some perspectives to help you navigate them.

Q1 - Words give my thoughts wings and allow me to fly. Why, oh why, then would anyone be so cruel as to restrict the word count and curtail my flight?

The very purpose of giving you a specific word count is to … Read entire article »

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Ask MBA Crystal Ball - Indian Candidates [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2011, 01:52
MBA Essays: How to write essays within the word limit

In an earlier post, we had talked about why MBA essay word counts are important and why you should not overshoot (or for that matter, undershoot) those word limits. That brings up the logical next question – what can you do to ensure that the tedious and frustrating process of knocking out sections from your fully drafted essay can be minimised.

There are no right or wrong ways to do this and you might have already thought about how you want to approach it. For those who don’t want to spend time on discovering and fine-tuning an approach, here’s a quick start … Read entire article »

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Help needed in profile evaluation [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2011, 01:56
gmatblues wrote:
Work experience - SW engineer . 5 years (Fortune 100 company - embedded systems) Indian
GMAT score - 680 (Q49 , V 33)

Target schools:
UCLA, NYU Stern, Cornell, University of Cambridge
:
I would like to know whether I have a chance of getting admission in above mentioned colleges? Am I not including colleges which I should have considered.

Hi,

For the first 3 schools, the GMAT could be a challenge. For the last one, experience could be a challenge. So do consider other schools as well, where you can strike the right balance between experience, GMAT and overall fit.

Intern
Intern
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Ask MBA Crystal Ball - Indian Candidates [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2011, 09:19
Dear MBA Crystal Ball team,

I have received a ADMIT in HULT BOSTON Campus 2012 session , I am a bit confused - as on now this is the only admit i have - have applied to HKUST R1 , Emory 1 year MBA and result awaited from them. I have to pay commitment fee of USD 3,500 by 1st december.

Need your candid views on HULT specially BOSTON campus - please reply to this. thanks
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Ask MBA Crystal Ball - Indian Candidates [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2011, 22:04
Testimonial from the MBA Crystal Ball Facebook page

Quote:
I have been thinking about getting my MBA degree now for a while and thus have combed the internet, checking up on websites of Top Business Schools, looking at other websites offering advice on how to apply and get admitted at these top schools.

I have equally talked to a few other admissions consultants but I must say, each time I talked to Sameer I've gotten a lot of valuable information and insight into the whole MBA application process, information that is not found on any of these schools websites or any other websites out there for that matter. Information that only an experienced and knowledgeable consultant like Sameer can have.

After speaking to Sameer I feel confident that all I've got what it takes and know how to go about applying to and get admitted into one of the top business schools. I'll gladly recommend MCB to anybody thinking about applying to Bschools.

Thanks Sameer.

- Leonard Mbah Acha

Re: Ask MBA Crystal Ball - Indian Candidates   [#permalink] 21 Nov 2011, 22:04