Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 06:14

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Ask MBA Crystal Ball - Indian Candidates

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
WE: Corporate Finance (Computer Software)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: Ask MBA Crystal Ball - Indian Candidates [#permalink] New post 23 Nov 2011, 19:04
Hello Sameer,

Please evaluate my profile and let me know what is the probability for getting selected in the institutes mentioned.

My MBA interest: Full Time, finance,marketing.

GMAT (on Nov 19, 2011) - 710 (Q50, V36)

Total Work Exp: 5.5 yrs ( IT )
1 years 9 months in India (IBM India, Bangalore)
3 years 8 months in Canada (IBM Canada,Toronto + AON Hewitt , Toronto)

At Present working in Canada (Toronto) for a major Human Resource Outsourcing firm - AON Hewitt

Sex – Male
Age – 28 yrs
Nationality - Indian ( Canadian PR)

Current Responsibilities:
Business Technology Analyst.

I am responsible for Requirements Analysis, Technical design of enhancement requests. Responsible for reviewing others work. Making Recovery Plan and leading from the front during major incidents. Conducting Post Incident Reviews. Communicating with the Business Users to get the requirements for any new change request.

I work in Peoplesoft (ERP) Technology. Supported Major Bank of Canada in their Funds Transfer Pricing, management allocation and HR modules.

While in IBM, I have lead a team of 10 members and was instrumental in optimisation of the client's processes to decrease the overall processing time.

Education:
B. E. (Computer Science) from NIT (REC) Durgapur, 2006 passout, 79.1% marks
XII – 88%, CBSE board
X – 85.6%, CBSE board

ECs:
1. While doing B.E. participated in IEEE international conference and presented paper
2. Actively Involved with World Vision India in sponsoring education for underprivileged children.
3. Volunteered in Office to conduct security audits to prevent any confidential material from getting exposed.

I would like to know if my profile is good enough for getting selected to the following institutes.

1. ISB Hyderabad
2. IIM Ahmedabad
3. York University Toronto (Schulich)
4. Nanyang Singapore
5. NUS Singapore

------
Somu
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 27

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 9

Re: Ask MBA Crystal Ball - Indian Candidates [#permalink] New post 23 Nov 2011, 23:10
vatsas wrote:
Hi Sameer,
I gave my GMAT recently and scored 690 (48 Q and 37 V). I am confused with this score.
:
I have been working for over 5 years now and I enjoy my job. I have strong recos from my current and previous bosses who themselves went to MIT and Univ of Wisconsin @ Madison respectively, if that helps at all.
Hi Sumeet,

The brand names won't mean much in isolation. If your recommenders understand how the MBA process works and what Adcoms are looking for in the recos, then that'll help you more.

Quote:
But in last 3-4 years I have developed a new passion and I want to make it my profession. I have almost been working 14-16 hours a day (actual job and parallely pursuing my passion) since last few years. I am very passionate about investment management/equity research.
If the passion has lasted for such a long time, it's more than just a passing fad. You have found your calling, bro!

Quote:
I want to make a career switch to investment/asset management.
:
I have started seeing myself as a portfolio manager in 10 years time.
Thought you were managing a few portfolios already? If you can demonstrate that you are better equipped (than your competition) with the skills and the strong intuition that is needed to sniff out winners, after you've done the basic groundwork with data-analysis, then you've got a strong application simmering out there.

Quote:
I single handedly launched a website for mutual funds that is and will be shortly doing so for stocks. This is non profit website that is for people who cant afford professional service.
http://www.mutualfundsforfuture.com/
In the management world, be careful about overselling the 'single-handedly' part. In the nice, collegial corporate world, it's all about team work, remember?

Quote:
I have been maintaining few portfolios since three years.
3 years is a long enough time to make judgements about your investing skills. How have you performed in a market that's been pretty volatile?

Quote:
But the bottom line is - Is 690 enough for career switch?
I managed it with a GMAT score less than that. So I might be biased, but I think it is possible.

Sameer Kamat | Founder - MBA Crystal Ball | Email: info at mbacrystalball dot com

Intern
Intern
Schools: LBS '14 (D)
GMAT 1: 650 Q44 V35
GMAT 2: 680 Q49 V34
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Ask MBA Crystal Ball - Indian Candidates [#permalink] New post 28 Nov 2011, 02:18
I need advice about how to proceed further with my grad school application.

I have a score of 650 Q44, V35 (disappointing, because I expected 700)
I'm aiming at Said, Judge and LBS MiF for the January 2012 deadlines.
A bit about my background, CA and FRM holder working for over 5 years in a Big 4 (10th-88%, 12th-88%, Undergraduate : 62% in Accountancy Honours)

Does this profile give me a chance to be accepted at these schools?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Ask MBA Crystal Ball - Indian Candidates [#permalink] New post 28 Nov 2011, 04:38
Optional MBA Essays: How to decide if you should use them

After you’ve taken care of the compulsory MBA essays, there’s the open canvas of the optional MBA essay looking at you enticingly…all white and pure…waiting for you to colour it with the palette that you hold. Will you jump at the opportunity or will you let it go?

The enthusiastic ones would look at it as the last open window to squeeze in all the brilliant things that they think the Adcoms need to know about them. Stuff that they were not able to cover in the mandatory MBA essays. Others may treat it like the psychologist’s couch where you can explain all the things that went wrong in your life and why you were not the one to blame. The lazy ones (‘overworked’, sounds better?) would think … Read entire article »

Sameer Kamat | Founder - MBA Crystal Ball | Email: info at mbacrystalball dot com

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Ask MBA Crystal Ball - Indian Candidates [#permalink] New post 28 Nov 2011, 04:51
Are MBA jobs in consulting and investment banking coming back?

The best management consulting firms, investment banks, technology companies and several top notch companies appear to have shaken off their post recession blues and decided to give their HR teams reason to start consuming increased amounts of caffeine.

Firms like McKinsey, Goldman Sachs, Google, Bain & Co, Amazon, Booz, Johnson & Johnson, Procter & Gamble opened their doors to many MBA graduates this season. This would come as a relief to many who were concerned that a top MBA might not yield the returns that candidates expect from it.

Many would say management consulting firms are 'recession proof'… Read entire article »

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Ask MBA Crystal Ball - Indian Candidates [#permalink] New post 28 Nov 2011, 05:10
hultboston2012 wrote:
I have received a ADMIT in HULT BOSTON Campus 2012 session , I am a bit confused - as on now this is the only admit i have - have applied to HKUST R1 , Emory 1 year MBA and result awaited from them. I have to pay commitment fee of USD 3,500 by 1st december.

Need your candid views on HULT specially BOSTON campus - please reply to this. thanks

Hi,

I'm pretty ignorant about this school. It doesn't figure in the Mock Application Process that we do and none of the guys we've worked with have had it on their shortlist. So I'm afraid I can't help you much there, brother.

Maybe you could reach out to current students/alumni to get more info. Ideally you should've done that before applying.

For the others reading this, ending up in a situation like this and being forced to take a decision under pressure and with limited information should be best avoided. Do you homework about the school before you apply.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Ask MBA Crystal Ball - Indian Candidates [#permalink] New post 28 Nov 2011, 05:35
ssmba wrote:
Hello Sameer,

Please evaluate my profile and let me know what is the probability for getting selected in the institutes mentioned.

GMAT (on Nov 19, 2011) - 710 (Q50, V36)

Total Work Exp: 5.5 yrs ( IT )

At Present working in Canada (Toronto) for a major Human Resource Outsourcing firm - AON Hewitt

:
I work in Peoplesoft (ERP) Technology. Supported Major Bank of Canada in their Funds Transfer Pricing, management allocation and HR modules.
:
------
Somu

Somu sir,

After reading some of the earlier posts on this thread (not sure if you did), I guess we both know what isn't working for you here.

The Asian schools, and specially the two in India are flooded with similar profiles. Your best bet would be to go beyond the ERP Tech part and talk about the Transfer Pricing knowledge you've gained. Transfer Pricing can be a very complex subject and there are consultants who have made a career focussing purely on this 1 area.

Link that to your post-MBA goal that might somehow be linked to the non-technical wisdom you've gained in the earlier roles.

Then you've basically got a story that few others will be talking about.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Ask MBA Crystal Ball - Indian Candidates [#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2011, 10:58
Have any of your MBA friends had this experience?

Click on the image to expand

If you liked this, please 'Like' the Facebook page for Beyond The MBA Hype.

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
WE: Corporate Finance (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: Ask MBA Crystal Ball - Indian Candidates [#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2011, 11:23
Thanks Sameer. I will focus on the points you mentioned.
Somu
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: Rotary club and Company award
Schools: INSEAD, LBS, DUKE, ISB
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Ask MBA Crystal Ball - Indian Candidates [#permalink] New post 08 Dec 2011, 10:15
RAVI MITTAL

SUMMARY
An experienced management professional (7+ years of experience in IT industry) with proven leadership skills, success in directing multi-million dollar projects to generate consistent revenue along with profit growth.
• GMAT score 740 (50Q, 39V). 6 in AWA – 13-Oct-11 (First Attempt)
• Practical work experience in project management of cross-functional teams across different geographies.

PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE
Subex Limited (Now NetCracker Post acquisition) Bangalore, India
Project Manager – PMO Team, Aug 2007 – Present Date
• Currently handling strategic Tata automation project, one of the biggest enterprise telecom providers in world, valued $2.25 million – one third of my company’s revenue, spread over 2 years and with around 70 people involved. Also handling another strategic account – Swisscom – third biggest contributor to my company’s revenue.
• Successfully delivered “Proof of Concept” project to Tata which lead to addition of Tata as customer to my company inspite of almost no prior experience of my company in the domain required, by strategically proposing paid support from ECI – leading equipment provider in the domain.
• Successfully delivered strategic Swisscom upgrade project leading to other customers also agreeing for upgrade- first of its kind in 5 years of company’s history and lead 50 member team and earned “Above and Beyond” award & promotion.
• Successfully managed other roadmap and customer accounts – British Telecom, Qwest, Telecom Italia, Swisscom, Tata, Centennial, Telstra and AT&T.
• International exposure in terms of daily communication (phone/mails) with colleagues/clients/customers across globe/designation – Switzerland, Australia, USA, Russia, Israel, Canada, UK.
• Nominated & Completed PMP certification. Implemented techniques learnt leading to 15% reduction in customer issues and 10% reduction in cost overrun.
• Developed custom solution (across multiple projects) prior to the management experience for Swisscom.
• Went to Australia and successfully deployed the product in SOUL- Australian Telecom Operator for $1 million project.

LGSoft India Bangalore, India
Software Engineer November, 2005 – August, 2007
• Worked on different LG GSM handsets delivered in ASIA PACIFIC region including the LG’s highest selling chocolate model. Got award from Business head for my contribution.
• Worked in Korea & China & improved delivery model in India to increase time to market and turn around time for mobile handsets.
• Implemented multiple message deletion and mobile tracker feature first time in LG handsets.

Sasken Communication Limited, Bangalore, India
Software Engineer August, 2004 – November, 2005
• Implemented testing tool for Mobile towers deployed by different Telecom operators and learnt GSM standards.
• Worked in Canada to gather requirements from Ciena and setup the LAB first time in my company at offshore.
• Most active member of the fun club in Sasken and tried to learn Kannada.

EDUCATION
PMP Certified PMI, 22-Dec-10
Harcourt Butler Technological Institute (UPTU) Kanpur, India. B.Tech, Computer Science and Engineering May, 2004 (70%)

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION

Language Proficiency: English (Advanced), Hindi (Native), Kannada (Intermediate), French (Basic)
Hobbies: Cycling, Running (5K & 10K), Trekking, Travelling, Cinema, Cricket,
Volunteering: Member of rotary blood donation club, Organized sports day, Class representative & Placement coordinator in HBTI, Canvassed for best friend to win College Election, Raised money for Gujarat flood victims, Suggested steel cups instead of paper cups to save environment and operating cost in Subex, Member of Rangde, an NGO for financing villagers.

Can you please evaluate my profile and tell me my chances in following Colleges

1. ISB (Already Applied)
2. INSEAD (Already Applied)
3. NUS (Applying this week)
4. Planning for following colleges - Oxford/Cambridge (one of them), IE/IESE/ESSADE (one of following), HEC Paris and Duke.

Important point is I want to come back to India and hence choosing colleges which have more reputation in India otherwise I will try IIMs next year.
Any further suggestion?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 16

GMAT Tests User
Re: Ask MBA Crystal Ball - Indian Candidates [#permalink] New post 08 Dec 2011, 10:31
Sameer, Do you guys offer consulting for IMD? Essays + Interview?

Time to play the game...

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Ask MBA Crystal Ball - Indian Candidates [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2011, 22:35
Indian MBA Applicants more likely to be rejected from top b-schools

You thought it was fair game and your chances of getting into a top MBA program had nothing to do with your nationality? Not true, says John Byrne, former executive editor of BusinessWeek and founder of Poets & Quants.

According to him the rejection rates for Indian candidates are ‘dramatically higher’ than any other nationality. An Indian applicant is 3 to 5 times less likely to get an offer compared to domestic candidates from the US.

In fact, European and Latin American candidates would also fare better than Indians. What makes the P&Q survey results extremely credible is the fact that the data has been supplied officially by B-schools to Bloomberg BusinessWeek. Some schools that feature … Read entire article »

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Ask MBA Crystal Ball - Indian Candidates [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2011, 22:38
Business Plan FAQ: What is it and how to create one?

When you start your MBA program, you’ll probably have to create (or review or study) a business plan. It might be a mandatory exercise because it’s part of a graded assignment. Or it might be part of a MBA business plan competition sponsored by your friendly neighbourhood consulting firm.

If you think you’ll never have to create one for yourself, it may still be a good idea to get your hands dirty right now, even before you step into a b-school. Why should you start working on a business plan now? … Read entire article »

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Ask MBA Crystal Ball - Indian Candidates [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2011, 23:54
ravisoft8400 wrote:
RAVI MITTAL

SUMMARY
An experienced management professional (7+ years of experience in IT industry) with proven leadership skills, success in directing multi-million dollar projects to generate consistent revenue along with profit growth.
• GMAT score 740 (50Q, 39V). 6 in AWA – 13-Oct-11 (First Attempt)
• Practical work experience in project management of cross-functional teams across different geographies.
:
Thanks for posting here, Ravi.

Quote:
Can you please evaluate my profile and tell me my chances in following Colleges

1. ISB (Already Applied)
2. INSEAD (Already Applied)
3. NUS (Applying this week)
4. Planning for following colleges - Oxford/Cambridge (one of them), IE/IESE/ESSADE (one of following), HEC Paris and Duke.

Important point is I want to come back to India and hence choosing colleges which have more reputation in India otherwise I will try IIMs next year.
Any further suggestion?

For the ones you've already applied, stop worrying about your chances. It'll just make you take more antacids while you wait for a response. For the others, Oxford, Cambridge have a strong brand recognition in India. Though the others on your list are good schools within their region, don't assume that their brands would be automatically recognised by all employers.

You may have to educate them and explain that they aren't just some foreign school that kids of rich parents attend. They are selective programs where deman outstrips the supply yada yada...Extend that spiel.

The traditional MBA recruiters are more aware of international MBA brands. A huge majority (specially in conventional industries) have no clue about them. They'd be more aware of local brands (even tier 2/3).

But that doesn't mean you lower your standards just to make them happy. You'd be spending a lot of money on this. So ensure that you are doing it for yourself first (build new skills, a bigger network, a new perspective that you can bring to your next role) and then for your employers.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Ask MBA Crystal Ball - Indian Candidates [#permalink] New post 14 Dec 2011, 08:03
High paying Non MBA jobs in the glamour world

Today’s guest writer is Tinu Menachery, a model (yup, that’s her photo) and a content writer. She’s comes from a world that most readers of the MBA Crystal Ball blog (chasing typical MBA jobs and careers like consulting and investment banking) will probably never experience. And that’s exactly the reason why we requested Tinu to try and get at least a few folks interested in a career in the glamour world.

These ‘jobs’ (almost sounds demeaning to use that word in this industry) can earn you big bucks (monthly salaries are so passé). Plus life indeed can be one big party, rather than something you’d save for alternate weekends when your boss doesn’t overload you with official work.

Tinu started her modeling career with Gladrags in 2008 (‘reached the top 15 without falling off the stage‘ she adds) and was 2nd runner up of...Read More

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Ask MBA Crystal Ball - Indian Candidates [#permalink] New post 14 Dec 2011, 08:05
iamgame wrote:
Sameer, Do you guys offer consulting for IMD? Essays + Interview?

Yes, we do sir. In fact, one of our consultants (from our very small team) is from IMD.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Ask MBA Crystal Ball - Indian Candidates [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2011, 21:22
MBA Crystal Ball closing its doors for Round 2 Applications

Many of you might know that we are a very small team and we have been focussing on working only with a small set of candidates. And the good news that has been trickling in from guys who've got into top-notch schools from INSEAD to Chicago (and of course, ISB) tells us we are doing something right with our operational model and we shouldn't rock the boat.

For each admissions season and each round we stop taking new folks when we reach peak capacity. For Round 2, it's time for us to announce that we are no longer accepting new clients who are targetting deadlines in Jan.

On a very selective basis we may offer our shorter scope packages (like Turbocharge) to profiles that we really like.

For those who've been following us for a while and planning to apply in the next season, please contact us early in 2011, specially if you have the bigger scope packages (e.g. GMAT + MBA MAP + 5 schools) on your mind.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Ask MBA Crystal Ball - Indian Candidates [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2011, 06:49
Executive MBA: How I got into Columbia with a 570 GMAT score

No, it’s not another article on careers in the glamour industry. If you think all our guest writers are hot and glamorous, it’s merely a coincidence. Or maybe it’s the MBA Crystal Ball platform. Or maybe it’s Maybelline.

Preeti Wadekar has managed to crack into an insanely competitive Ivy League school despite challenges (like a low GMAT score). What was her strategy for Columbia? What can you learn from Warren Buffett when it comes to B-school applications? Why Munni and Sheila couldn’t get into a B-school? She explains all this and more...read more

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: Ask MBA Crystal Ball - Indian Candidates [#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2011, 08:03
Hi MBA Crystal Ball,

My profile is as follows

Education

Top 75 US School (USNews Overall ranking) : Masters in Computer Science GPA 3.9
Bachelors in India : First class with Distinction (non-IIT)

GMAT : 720

Work Experience : 4+ years as of this email in a start up company in USA partnering with big companies. I have grown along with the company in responsibility and position/role. I work on the data analytics side of the business, providing data for profitability/pricing/accounting and big partner companies. Solely responsible for the accuracy and consistency of the data.

Second job--I voluntarily took the responsibility. After my 40 hours , I work on special projects where I take the lead in finding ways of increasing revenue in the smaller areas of the business. I have done 2 projects and was successful in improving it. A McCombs alumni guides me in this process, who is part of the management.

Wish List of Schools
1) Booth
2) Wharton
3) Darden
4) Duke
5) Columbia
6) Stanford
7) Mc Combs
8) Kellogg

Could you tell me if I am aiming too high and which fall within my reach.

Thanks,
Suri
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Ask MBA Crystal Ball - Indian Candidates [#permalink] New post 27 Dec 2011, 23:41
Georgia University Terry MBA – Full scholarship with stipend for Riaz

ISB Hyderabad (Indian School of Business) didn’t have good news for Riaz Mohammed and he wrote about it earlier on our blog with some advice for others who were in a similar situation.

We had hinted that his story was going to change for the better. Riaz is back with some good news to share. News that includes feel-good terms like MBA scholarships, full tuition waiver, stipend, free ride. Music to the ears! ...Read More

Re: Ask MBA Crystal Ball - Indian Candidates   [#permalink] 27 Dec 2011, 23:41