Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 20:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Ask MBA Crystal Ball - Indian Candidates

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 28

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 10

Re: Ask MBA Crystal Ball - Indian Candidates [#permalink] New post 27 Dec 2011, 23:58
syalaman wrote:
Top 75 US School (USNews Overall ranking) : Masters in Computer Science GPA 3.9
Bachelors in India : First class with Distinction (non-IIT)
GMAT : 720
Work Experience : 4+ years as of this email in a start up company in USA partnering with big companies.
:
Second job--I voluntarily took the responsibility. After my 40 hours , I work on special projects where I take the lead in finding ways of increasing revenue in the smaller areas of the business.

Hi Suri,

I'm not sure what you mean by a second job. The way you've described it gives me the impression that you are working in the same company but focussing on areas that you aren't responsible for. Is that correct or are you working for another company (or companies)?

Either ways, what you are doing (work-wise) is good. Just ensure that you make the segregation clear in your essays and highlight what each of those roles has helped you achieve.

Quote:
Could you tell me if I am aiming too high and which fall within my reach.

It would have been a good mix if you were looking to spread these schools out across Round 1 and Round 2. If you haven't already applied to some of these in the previous round, I'd say it won't hurt to go a little more conservative with the choice and include other schools where you'd have a better chance in R2.

Sameer Kamat | Founder - MBA Crystal Ball | Email: info at mbacrystalball dot com

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

Re: Ask MBA Crystal Ball - Indian Candidates [#permalink] New post 01 Jan 2012, 01:49
Hi Sameer,

Let me know what you think of my profile.

Summary
* Total of 8.5 years of workex in the IT domain, mostly into software development.
* Male, 30, Married, 1 yr daughter
* B.E. from NITK Surathkal (ECE) with 82% (I Class with Distinction, Top 10 of Class of 2003)
* PMP certified Proj Mngr
* Distance Learning from IIM Calcutta (Certificate Program in Management of Software Development) in 2008
* 3 ys of Prod Dev in Oracle; then 6 months Oracle Apps consulting; then 4.5 years as Technical PM for Prod Dev in a small firm setting up the entire practice - incl training, mentoring, support, consulting, Customer Site trainings/demos, (even looking out for new office space!!); finally last 6 months as IT PM for Bus Transformation in HR function of India's biggest conglomerate.
* GMAT: 760 (Q50, V42) in 1st attempt; AWA not received yet.

International Exposure

* Visits have been short
- US: a month at Oracle HQ + 2 weeks business visit
- UK: 2 client visits - each 2 weeks
* Clients worked with belong to: US, UK, Netherlands, Australia

Extra-Curricular Activities

* School/ College Days: Quizzing, Church Choir, Philately, Numismatics (Collecting Coins), Volunteer for College Festival,
* Post School: Volunteer at Oracle for social causes, Support for orphanages, etc.

MBA Fields of Interest

* Software Product Management, Software Product Strategy, Mgmt Consulting in Tech Domain

Interested Schools

* INSEAD, Sloan, Stanford, Haas, ISB,.... (still trying to see best fit for fields of interest)
Current Student
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.6
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 5

Re: Ask MBA Crystal Ball - Indian Candidates [#permalink] New post 01 Jan 2012, 09:57
Hello Sameer,

Please evaluate my profile and provide me guidance on which B-schools should I select.

My MBA interest: FT, General Management or finance
GMAT (on July 30, 2011) - 770 (Q50, V44, AWA 6.0)

Was selected for the first batch of Indian School of Business(ISB) Young Leaders Programme, class of 2015.

Total Work Exp: FT 0 PT 2.5 years

I worked part-time alongside college for 2.5 years in a software company. I started as an intern and then eventually moved on to taking commercial projects for the company on contract basis. I helped them start the mobile software department, hiring and training people. I also was the team leader for the department and was heavily involved in dealing with the clients.

I currently hold a job offer from Citrix Systems.

Sex – Male
Age – 23 yrs
Nationality - Indian

Education:
B. E. (IT) from Jadavpur Univ, passing out in 2012.
GPA 8.52 out of 10
XII – 78.8%, CBSE board
X – 83.6%, Maharashtra board

ECs:
1. Nominated for the National Youth Award, 2012 for social service by the Government of India for my work for an NGO working for rural healthcare
2. Selected by the Government of India as a delegate to China for the India China Youth Exchange Program, 2011
3. Came 3rd in interschool debate in 10th standard in Mumbai in a city level debate competition
4. Came 2nd in under-15 throwball competition in Mumbai District
5. Best all-rounder in school in 10th standard
6. Held the post of monitor all through school life. Was prefect and assistant prefect of my house as well.

Aim: I want to join a venture capital working in the area of technology. After working there for 5-6 years I want to start up my own technology firm.

I would like to know:

1. How my profile looks for an MBA from the top 10-20 B-schools?
2. What, in your opinion, is my strengths and weakness reflected in my profile?
3. Please mention what should I do to make my case stronger for final call.
4. I am applying to HBS 2+2 and Stanford. What do you think my chances are?

Thanks.

My debrief - http://gmatclub.com/forum/770-q50-v44-on-my-first-attempt-debrief-118007.html

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Ask MBA Crystal Ball - Indian Candidates [#permalink] New post 01 Jan 2012, 22:19
GMAT AWA essay tips

While preparing for the GMAT, most of the candidates start planning in advance for a high GMAT score in the Quantitative and Verbal sections. The score out of 800 for these two sections seems to be the only aspect that matters. The AWA section which has a score on the scale of 0-6 is totally off the radar.

One reason for that might be because the AWA score doesn’t get too much attention on B-school websites. Almost all of the top schools talk about their average GMAT scores, but there’s usually no reference to the AWA score. So many applicants assume, if it does not figure anywhere on the school site, it may be unimportant...Read More

Sameer Kamat | Founder - MBA Crystal Ball | Email: info at mbacrystalball dot com

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Ask MBA Crystal Ball - Indian Candidates [#permalink] New post 01 Jan 2012, 22:31
ardsouza wrote:
Hi Sameer,

Let me know what you think of my profile.

Summary
* Total of 8.5 years of workex in the IT domain, mostly into software development.
* GMAT: 760 (Q50, V42) in 1st attempt; AWA not received yet.
* Male, 30, Married, 1 yr daughter
* B.E. from NITK Surathkal (ECE) with 82% (I Class with Distinction, Top 10 of Class of 2003)

Greetings, Mr D'souza and a very happy new year to you!

Quote:
* 3 ys of Prod Dev in Oracle; then 6 months Oracle Apps consulting; then 4.5 years as Technical PM for Prod Dev in a small firm setting up the entire practice - incl training, mentoring, support, consulting, Customer Site trainings/demos, (even looking out for new office space!!); finally last 6 months as IT PM for Bus Transformation in HR function of India's biggest conglomerate.
Great variety there, buddy. In your startup experience, did you get involved in business development activities as well, or was it mainly project execution?

Quote:
MBA Fields of Interest

* Software Product Management, Software Product Strategy, Mgmt Consulting in Tech Domain

Good to have all three on the 'MBA interest' plate. But when it comes to career choice, and for your MBA application you'll have to prioritise and narrow it down to one, as each of these would require a slightly different set of skills.

Quote:
Interested Schools

* INSEAD, Sloan, Stanford, Haas, ISB,.... (still trying to see best fit for fields of interest)

All good programs. But you might be too old for Stanford and too young for Sloan. For schools like INSEAD, ISB you'd still be older than the average guy getting in, but still not so bad a stretch.

Conspicuous by their absence - many European bschools where you'd fit in better. Intentionally?

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Ask MBA Crystal Ball - Indian Candidates [#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2012, 20:50
Master in Biotechnology Management at IE (Instituto de Empresa)

You could pass her off as a young, aspiring entrepreneur trying to learn the ropes at a top business school. Young, she definitely is. But she’s gone way past the ‘aspiring’ stage.

Sila Toksoz already had a Master of Science (M.Sc.) degree in Materials Science & Nanotechnology and a Bachelors degree in Molecular Biology & Genetics when she launched her Biotech startup (Biyonesil Biological Products) in Turkey.

Her entrepreneurial journey started after winning a business plan competition while she was still studying. Now she’s planning to take it all to the next level...Read More

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Ask MBA Crystal Ball - Indian Candidates [#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2012, 21:10
rish2jain wrote:
Hello Sameer,
My MBA interest: FT, General Management or finance
Education:B. E. (IT) from Jadavpur Univ, passing out in 2012. GPA 8.52 out of 10
GMAT (on July 30, 2011) - 770 (Q50, V44, AWA 6.0)
:
Was selected for the first batch of Indian School of Business(ISB) Young Leaders Programme, class of 2015.

I'm guessing getting this option in your pocket so early on has diluted the charm and you are aiming higher?

Quote:
I worked part-time alongside college for 2.5 years in a software company.
:
I currently hold a job offer from Citrix Systems.
:
Aim: I want to join a venture capital working in the area of technology. After working there for 5-6 years I want to start up my own technology firm.

Usually it works the other way round. You start your tech company, grow it, sell it off. And then some VC invites you to work the same magic with their portfolio companies. So everyone becomes rich and happy (?).

Quote:
1. How my profile looks for an MBA from the top 10-20 B-schools?

You are in an interesting situation. You have developed skills in areas that typical IT consultants do in 3-4 years. But you've done this on a part-time basis along with your studies. So though the 'diversity' element isn't truly there in terms of skill-sets, you can play the high-potential candidate card when you apply.

Quote:
2. What, in your opinion, is my strengths and weakness reflected in my profile?

Strengths: Early bird, decent (but not mind-blowing) experience so far, good acads/GMAT
Weaknesses: Technically still a fresher, with no full-time experience yet. The level of responsibilities and impact in your Citrix role could make a bigger difference. If you are aiming for venture capital jobs, there aren't any VC specific skills that you've got yet.

Quote:
4. I am applying to HBS 2+2 and Stanford. What do you think my chances are?

HBS 2+2: Sure, go ahead and give it a shot. But only if you don't end up with the ISB YLP where you lose interest after winning the competition.
Stanford: I'd hold on to that for now. Might be premature to take a shot at this stage.

Quote:
3. Please mention what should I do to make my case stronger for final call.

Go ahead and join Citrix system. Continue to build up on the PT momentum. With such a headstart, I'm sure in a couple of years you'd be able to achieve a whole lot more than your peers. That would make your profile very attractive for regular FT MBA programs as well.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Ask MBA Crystal Ball - Indian Candidates [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2012, 08:46
Teaching jobs and education careers in India

Teaching jobs and careers in the education sector generally don’t get the limelight they deserve. Snehal Divekar has been a teacher for over 13 years and is currently on a sabbatical. She worked as an Assistant Professor in the IT department of an engineering college affiliated to the University of Mumbai.

In this article, she talks about teaching jobs and careers in the education field, the pros and cons, average salary ranges and other aspects. For those who are tired of competing in the rat race, here are a few meaningful options for you to consider...Read more

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Ask MBA Crystal Ball - Indian Candidates [#permalink] New post 15 Jan 2012, 22:15
How to write a good resume

What’s the best way to form a great first impression on an influential decision maker? Create an impactful curriculum vitae (CV). This applies to almost all situations where a resume will be used as one of the tools to filter a huge list of candidates. Whether you are creating an MBA resume format for Bschool applications or creating a CV for internships or jobs, there are a few basic things you can keep in mind to maximise the impact.

Let’s cover that in 3 stages: First we look at the process that a majority of applicants generally follow, then we change perspectives and look at the process that a reviewer is likely to follow. Once we have contrasted the two, the disconnect is easier to locate. Based on that you’d know what you should or should not be doing when you are creating your resume....Read More

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
WE: Corporate Finance (Computer Software)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: Ask MBA Crystal Ball - Indian Candidates [#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2012, 10:24
MBACrystalBall wrote:
ssmba wrote:
Hello Sameer,

Please evaluate my profile and let me know what is the probability for getting selected in the institutes mentioned.

GMAT (on Nov 19, 2011) - 710 (Q50, V36)

Total Work Exp: 5.5 yrs ( IT )

At Present working in Canada (Toronto) for a major Human Resource Outsourcing firm - AON Hewitt

:
I work in Peoplesoft (ERP) Technology. Supported Major Bank of Canada in their Funds Transfer Pricing, management allocation and HR modules.
:
------
Somu

Somu sir,

After reading some of the earlier posts on this thread (not sure if you did), I guess we both know what isn't working for you here.

The Asian schools, and specially the two in India are flooded with similar profiles. Your best bet would be to go beyond the ERP Tech part and talk about the Transfer Pricing knowledge you've gained. Transfer Pricing can be a very complex subject and there are consultants who have made a career focussing purely on this 1 area.

Link that to your post-MBA goal that might somehow be linked to the non-technical wisdom you've gained in the earlier roles.

Then you've basically got a story that few others will be talking about.

Hi Sameer,

I got interview call from ISB Hyd. Any suggestions.. what is an ISB interview like? Normally what kind of questions do they ask?

Thanks
Somu
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Ask MBA Crystal Ball - Indian Candidates [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2012, 10:12
How to network and build relationships for corporate success

If you learn how to build and nurture relationships in the corporate world, you can get a lot accomplished that your purely technically focussed colleagues would never be able to match. Get this apsect right and it’ll be worth more than all the technical skills you’ve picked up in your undergrad and MBA classrooms.

Ipseeta Aruni is a graduate of the prestigious Indian Institute of Technology Roorkee with a keen interest in the arena of soft skills in business. If you stare hard enough, you might also see a highly talented hip-hop dancer who can amaze you with her electrifying moves on the dance floor. For now, she shares a few easier moves that you could practice in your career and take it on accelerated growth path…without an MBA...Read More

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Ask MBA Crystal Ball - Indian Candidates [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2012, 10:43
ssmba wrote:
Hi Sameer,

I got interview call from ISB Hyd. Any suggestions.. what is an ISB interview like? Normally what kind of questions do they ask?

Thanks
Somu

Congrats, Somu.

The basic rules apply to almost all interviews - know your application inside out, identify weak areas and pre-empt questions (this applies to your pre-MBA career, why MBA or what after MBA). ISB tends to be a little less predictable compared to many international schools. Depends on who is there in the interview panel.

I spoke to another candidate y'day who got a case study (though it's become a little less frequent now). But this also had to do with the industry that he came from, so we had covered it much earlier (in the MBA MAP). Some general knowledge brushing up (on current affairs, important milestones from the past etc) will also be good.

We offer an ISB interview preparation service too and our conversion rate so far has been pretty good. But in your case I'm not sure if there'd be enough time to squeeze it in.

If you can't practice with an expert, get a few friends to do a mock-interview for you. Getting all the answers right in your head is very different from verbalising them. So practice a few times before you go for the actual one.

Here's an earlier post from our blog that you might find useful:
- How to prepare for interviews for free

Good luck buddy. Come back and share your experience.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Ask MBA Crystal Ball - Indian Candidates [#permalink] New post 22 Jan 2012, 20:37
MBA Essay Tips: Dealing with silly mistakes after submitting applications

Hope you never have to experience how frustrating it can be. After spending days on your MBA essays and ensuring all the answers to the why mba, why now, why this bschool have been addressed, you hit the ‘Submit Application’ button. And suddenly it feels like a big load has been taken off the shoulders.

But then something draws you back to the MS Word document that you had used to prepare the drafts. Maybe it’s the desire to go back and appreciate the wonderful product that you’ve created. ‘I’d love to be part of the vibrant Kellogg community…’. Just a little problem, though. The application that you just submitted was for London Business School...Read More

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Ask MBA Crystal Ball - Indian Candidates [#permalink] New post 28 Jan 2012, 22:29
JD-MBA Program – Kellogg School of Management : Dual degree FAQ

Dual degrees like the JD-MBA offered by the Kellogg School of Management and Northwestern University’s School of Law can be a great way to learn about two disciplines that have more overlap that we generally assume. However, compared to the regular 2-year MBA programs, these longer and more expensive joint degree options can seem more mysterious than they are. Apart from the data available on the school websites, there’s not much information about JD-MBA programs.

Jeremy Wilson had a very eclectic background – engineering, politics, consulting, startups, archaeology – before he decided to attend the JD-MBA program at Kellogg. In this interview he answers many of the frequently asked questions about the program...Read More

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Ask MBA Crystal Ball - Indian Candidates [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2012, 20:10
Hi Sameer
I wanted to take this opportunity and discuss my profile with you to get a fair idea of what colleges I would get thru for MBA in USA.

My background:

1) Graduated from top 5 Engg colleges in Mumbai university in Electronics and Telecom with first class in 2005
2) Worked in Accenture for 1 yr in IT
3) Did my MS in EE in NJIT in USA & graduated in 2007 with GPA 3.6
4) Did my internship @ ESSIT Inc where I was trained to work on Business Process evaluation and Development in SAP. Worked with them from March 2007 to Sept 2008 for their clients.
5) Implemented SAP in 7 months for 3 subunits of Mars Inc for SAP SD from Sept 2008 to July 2009
6) Due to recession - other consultants were rolled off & I continued to work on support and new developments on the same project now handling SAP SD, MM, PP & WM .. from Aug 2009 to current. (Also took up the load of SAP CRM since July 2010)

This might sound a bit unconventional for 1 person to do everything, but since the units are small - they hv limited budget.
My role involves interacting with the Business users & Leadership teams to discuss their upcoming requirements & implementing end to end developments along with a SAP FI consultant who does his part for that development.

Also interacting with Offshore developers to get the technical work is a part of the work.
I have immense knowledge of the Business Processes in all the modules which I have listed & consider myself to be amongst the very few SAP consultants who have so much visibility.

7) I have also been actively involved in a NGO and volunteering in counseling Mental Health Patients to overcome their mental issues and get them back to normal & reintroduce them in to the society. I have been doing this for a year now.

I haven't given my GMAT yet .. planning to give it before June 5th 2012 when the format will change.
I believe I should be able to get 750+

My desires:
After thinking a lot - I think I would like to get into Management Consulting in Strategy in the top 10 colleges if possible.
And then I hv dreams to get into the top 3 firms M/B/B if possible.

I plan to do by MBA in 2014 as currently I hv filed my Green Card and hope to get it by early 2013 and then plan to work for my employer for a while.
Also plan to get married during this period and hence want to go for an MBA in 2014 fall ( age = 30 & 1/2 and the WE = 8+)

Let me know your evaluation and what you think about the colleges I can get into for Management Consulting (At this point, I dont know which are the good colleges for Consulting).
Also since I have some time for applying - if you feel I can improve on certain aspect of my application, Please suggest the same.

Thanks for your time & patience
Vin
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Ask MBA Crystal Ball - Indian Candidates [#permalink] New post 05 Feb 2012, 02:13
Choosing a Bschool: Is Harvard the best MBA program in the world?

While selecting bschools, variations of this question pop up in the minds of MBA applicants. Other queries falling in a similar category are as follows.

- Which is the best 2 year (or 1 year) MBA program?
- Are US universities better than those in the UK or Europe?
- Should I choose international business schools over Indian MBA colleges?

All of these questions are natural to have and justified, considering how much you would be investing in the program. Ask most Indian applicants and most would have a standard answer...Read More

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Ask MBA Crystal Ball - Indian Candidates [#permalink] New post 05 Feb 2012, 02:16
Simon MBA Rochester admit with scholarship

MBA scholarships are tough to come by at the good business schools. Convert $20,000 into Indian Rupees (what would you do with the extra 10 lakhs that you save?) and the MBA success story sounds so much better.
For Ankit Chopra, all this came after he had put in more than the usual share of MBA application effort. Starting from his GMAT preparation to the time it took to write the best possible MBA essays.
The end result was that the helpful Associate Dean from the Simon MBA program was advising Ankit on the electives he should be taking in the course that would be aligned with his career interests...Read More

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Ask MBA Crystal Ball - Indian Candidates [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2012, 00:51
Smeal MBA Penn State Full-tuition scholarship plus stipend

When MBA education costs are spiralling out of control, a full-tuition scholarship can mean a lot to Indian candidates with pockets that aren’t as deep as their other MBA classmates.

Smeal MBA granted a full-ride (100% tuition waiver) and more, in terms of a steady income (stipend) to Kumar Pushkal.

He stands tall and confident today, as the entrepreneur in him knows very well that he’s already got his RoI even before he starts his MBA program at a top school known for its Supply Chain specialization.

In this guest post, he describes how and what he did to get not only an admit but also a whole lot of free money from one of his top choice business schools...Read more

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Ask MBA Crystal Ball - Indian Candidates [#permalink] New post 15 Feb 2012, 06:31
I am planning to apply for INSEAD R1 for Jan 2013 intake. I request you to go through my profile given below and give me your feedback.

Indian M 27
GMAT 650 (Dec 31 2011 AWA 5), 730(Feb 6 2012 AWA 4)
WE: 4yrs 7 Months
International Work Experience: Nil
Employer: L&T ECC Division
Good academics with above 90% in 10th and 12th. 8.1 CGPA in B.Tech
Adjudged Best Outgoing Student in UG course
Decent extracurricular (Organisation of events, Magazine Editor for company magazine)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Ask MBA Crystal Ball - Indian Candidates [#permalink] New post 15 Feb 2012, 09:18
It’s time to revisit MBA entrance processes

My article in Firstpost.com focussing on the lopsided weightage given to standardised entrance tests in Indian Bschools.

Got an opinion about it? Please share it as a comment below that article...Read more

Re: Ask MBA Crystal Ball - Indian Candidates   [#permalink] 15 Feb 2012, 09:18