Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Apr 2014, 14:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Ask MBA Crystal Ball - Indian Candidates

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 24

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 9

Re: Ask MBA Crystal Ball - Indian Candidates [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2012, 00:41
amnesty17 wrote:
Dear Sameer,

Thanks many for your reply. I will follow your suggestions.

Greetings,
Amnesty

Amnesty-ji,

From the follow-up post, the acknowledgement and the kudos, I also deduce that you are polite, grateful and professional in your (formal and informal) dealings.

More brownie points for you from my side.

Whatever line you choose, you'll make a good business leader.

Sameer Kamat | Founder - MBA Crystal Ball | Email: info at mbacrystalball dot com

Ready for a little reality check? --> Beyond The MBA Hype (International Edition)
GMAT Club offering this best-selling book for FREE to Moderators

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Ask MBA Crystal Ball - Indian Candidates [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2012, 05:57
Desi Girl Power Stories

Ipseeta’s eccentric GMAT preparation tips for a 760 score
Most GMAT success stories on MBA forums are written by the typical Indian IT Male Engineers. Makes you wonder if the female applicants from India have stopped preparing for the GMAT or failed to get into the high GMAT score club (above 750)...

Darden School of Business - Gowthami’s MBA success story
We published an interview with Wendy Huber, Associate Director of Admissions @ Darden MBA. Gowthami Guttikonda was one of the candidates who had her MBA interview with Wendy. Yup, small world...

W.P. Carey School of Business – Ritika’s story
The Carey MBA (ASU) has strong ties with the industry, specially when it comes to Supply Chain Management (SCM). Ritika got a graduate assistanship from Carey...

Sameer Kamat | Founder - MBA Crystal Ball | Email: info at mbacrystalball dot com

Ready for a little reality check? --> Beyond The MBA Hype (International Edition)

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Ask MBA Crystal Ball - Indian Candidates [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2012, 06:16
Winds81 wrote:
Hi Sameer,

I greatly appreciate your providing feedback on profiles. Your feedback is really thoughtful and useful. I know you are super busy, but if you do get a chance to review my profile below and comment, I would be very grateful.

Super busy indeed, Winds81.

It's peak season. Our forum activity has gone down significantly as we've been focussing on pampering our small clientele family members who help us pay the bills, so we can get back here and continue giving free advice for the rest of the year.

Winds81 wrote:
I am a 26 year old female from India and applying to US business schools in 2012. I have a GMAT of 640 (Q:45 / V:34 / AWA:4) and a TOEFL score of 96. I have worked for 4 years as a marketing executive in India in the hospitality industry.
:
I am very keen on continuing a career in marketing. Can you kindly advise which schools will best suit my profile? I am keen on Duke, Haas and Cornell.
Thank you very much in advance.

Statistically, there'd be fewer Indian applicants with your specific background. But the initial diffferentiation can only be used as a stepping stone if the other key parameters (like GMAT) are also strong. If not, then the load on the rest of the components goes up significantly.

If the GMAT can't be fixed, it might be a good idea to include other schools that are more practical.

Check out some of the stories in the post (Desi girl power stories) just before this one, for a quick dose of inspiration.

Intern
Intern
GPA: 2.61
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Re: Ask MBA Crystal Ball - Indian Candidates [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2012, 04:28
Hi Friends.....

I am Devarshi, Male, 28 years, Electrical Engineer from Lucknow, India

My profile;

X---UP Board ---72% (marking was very strict, State Board Topper used to get between 84-90%)
XII----UP Board---- 72% (marking was very strict, State Board Topper used to get between 84-90%)
then a gap of 3 yrs...

B.Tech(Electrical & Electronics)----UP Technical University----66% (CGPA 6.6 on a scale of 10) (Again, not sure how this will convert to US GPA but my class topper must have got 78-80% and State university Topper 82-84%)

Average extra crculars at School and College level.
Played Cricket and Badminton at School and College level...but don't have many certificates to show it)

then 2 years of experience as a Lecturer and a Trainee Engineer in an Electronics company....nothing much significant...was preparing for PSUs and CAT...
July 2009---Selected in Power Grid Corporation of India Limited through All India Test...
CTC 11.5 LPA at that time...
Currently working in PGCIL as an Engineer in Executive cadre with a CTC of 12.5 LPA ( Approx 20000$ per annum....Inhand salary 1000$ per Month...)
work exp in PGCIL ----40 months

Managing the operation of High voltage AC transmission System at 765/400 kV as well as 400/220 kV Sub-stations as Shift in charge.
Managing an Operation and Maintenance Team looking after the Power System Elements such as Power Transformers, Shunt Reactors, Circuit Breakers, Instrument Transformers.
Managing a Testing and Commissioning Team performing on site testing of various power system elements and protection schemes.
Managing a team looking after the functions of Fixed Series Compensator to increase the Power Transmission Capacity of a High Voltage Transmission Line.

Also Attended few certificate Programs such as in Technical Consulting, BSI standards etc.

Have started preparing for GMAT...will be taking it in early 2013.
Just took GMAT prep practice test 1....score came out to be 710.
I will be targeting 750.

Just wanted to ask u Guys...considering my avg Acads and gaps during study...and a low GPA at Grad level, which international MBA prgms i can look forward to....also...shall a higher GMAT score compensate for an avrge Acadmc performance....whether there are any good MBA progms that overlook avg GPA if i fare well in my essays nd interviews....Any suggestion will be highly regarded..
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Ask MBA Crystal Ball - Indian Candidates [#permalink] New post 02 Nov 2012, 23:56
MBA Crystal Ball interviews Georgetown MBA (McDonough) Admissions Director

The Georgetown MBA in Washington D.C. is a top ranking program with a diverse class profile. With an average GMAT score of 683, the student age range falls between 22 and 45. Over 30% of the students come from outside the U.S. For the current class the business school admissions team received over 1500 applications and enrolled only 250, making it one of the toughest programs in the world.

Sameer Kamat, founder of MBA Crystal Ball, caught up with Interim Assistant Dean and Director, Katelyn Rosa Stephenson to find out more about the program...Read More

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 5

Re: Ask MBA Crystal Ball - Indian Candidates [#permalink] New post 05 Nov 2012, 09:37
Nationality: Indian
GMAT: 740 (Q 49 V42)
GPA: 3.61 from top 50 engineering school USA (Tier 2/3) Graduated cum lade
Major: Electrical Engineering
Minor: Business Administration
Work Experience: 3 years at Matriculation
(India) 1 Year: Business Development officer for an online portal (gracerequest.com) for spa and salon reservations, and gym memberships. The business didn’t go well so we closed it after one year. I was working with the founder and 3 others.
(India) 2 years: Big 4 IT Risk, Associate Consultant
Internships:
• Comcast : Software QA 6 mths (USA)
• Central Electronics Limited (Govt of India) : Solar photovoltaic QA 6 mths
Community Service: Taught poor children in a village every weekend for 6 months
Leadership
• Elected officer for two professional organizations college chapter
• Represented the university at a leadership conference
Honors:
• Member electrical engineering honors society
• Ranked 3rd in Senior Design Competition
• Dean’s List
• Dean’s Merit Scholarship
Future Plans:
Use my mba education and international exposure to improve my business acumen and come back to India, an emerging economy, and start my own business.
Please evaluate my chances for the following colleges
1. Wharton
2. LBS
3. INSEAD
4. Kellogg
5) ISB
Also, please let me know if there is any apparent weakness.
Any thoughts are appreciated.
Thank you very much for your time.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Ask MBA Crystal Ball - Indian Candidates [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2012, 22:34
Management Consulting 101

Best strategy consulting firms

The best management consulting firms in the world (and in India) have more or less remained the same for several years. In this post, we list down the top 10 strategy consulting firms...Read More

Best consulting firms – Technology, Finance, HR

Management consultant Amit talks about firms that focus on a niche – like technology consulting, financial consulting, HR consulting and others...Read More

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 45 [1] , given: 9

Re: Ask MBA Crystal Ball - Indian Candidates [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2012, 22:38
This post received
KUDOS
MBA entrepreneurs: Why many bschool grads may never launch a startup

Here’s an intriguing phenomenon. We have seen the same trend in applicants who work with us on the MBA Mock Application Process (MBA MAP). A significant number of MBA applicants explicitly list entrepreneurship as a post MBA goal in their admission essays.

They do a fantastic job in explaining the brilliant entrepreneurial idea they have in mind, the skills & resources need to execute that plan and how an MBA will provide them with the perfect platform to launch their startup in technology, healthcare, education or any of the other ‘sunrise’ sectors. So far, so good.

But something changes the minute they step into the bschool campus and the mindset change continues as they move into the job hunting phase...Read More

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 45 [1] , given: 9

Re: Ask MBA Crystal Ball - Indian Candidates [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2012, 22:52
This post received
KUDOS
devarshi9283 wrote:
Have started preparing for GMAT...will be taking it in early 2013.
Just took GMAT prep practice test 1....score came out to be 710.
I will be targeting 750.

Just wanted to ask u Guys...considering my avg Acads and gaps during study...and a low GPA at Grad level, which international MBA prgms i can look forward to....also...shall a higher GMAT score compensate for an avrge Acadmc performance....whether there are any good MBA progms that overlook avg GPA if i fare well in my essays nd interviews....Any suggestion will be highly regarded..

Devarshi,

A high GMAT will help. You've got a First class which would be fine for most schools and may not be the primary cause of a ding (if at all that's the result). You'd still be competing with others who have stronger GPAs and GMATs and work experience.

So aim for that high GMAT, by all means. But do focus on the real world accomplishments that are better indicators of your managerial and leadership potential.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Ask MBA Crystal Ball - Indian Candidates [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2012, 23:57
How to handle GMAT Math questions on Combinations and Probability

The GMAT quantitative (Maths) section often has questions involving concepts of Combinations and/or Probability. The GMAT preparation series on MBA Crystal Ball moves on, as we touch upon questions that cover both Combinations and Probability...Read More

Sample GMAT Question: Probability + Combinations

In post above, we covered tips and techniques to manage GMAT quantitative (Maths) questions that involve concepts of Combinations and Probability. In this post we share a sample GMAT quant question that builds up on the theory...Read More

Current Student
Affiliations: SAE
Concentration: Strategy, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.5
WE: Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 29

Kudos [?]: 118 [0], given: 264

Profile Evaluation - GMAT 710 [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2012, 10:04
Hi

I need your help in my profile evaluation.
GMAT Score – 710. Breakup was Quant - 49 and Verbal - 37. AWA - 5, IR - 6
I did my engineering in Mechanical (CGP – 3.6) – Passed out in 2010
Brief Work Experience (3 years by next fall)

Responsibilities – As an Associate Project Manager
• Preparation of Detailed Project Report for two hydro power projects
− Preparation of Hydrology report, Capacity Optimization, Project Scheduling, Technical Design, and Plant Economics
• Preparation of Pre-feasibility report for thermal projects in Africa
− Plot Plan, Land Requirements, Fuel Requirements, Water and Thermal Balance Diagram, and Project Scheduling

Responsibilities – As a Business Analyst

• Assisted Senior Management to develop strategic roadmap for international and domestic power business by developing market entry strategy for India and Nepal.
• Prepared Expression Of Interest for bidding on greenfield projects in India.
• Prepared RFP/RFQ for power projects in India, Nigeria and Bangladesh.

Educational Achievements
• I was awarded the merit certificate in my 10th examination by the Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) for being among the top 0.1% of the students.
• I was awarded Gold Medal in Science Talent Search Examination in 2003.
Co – Curricular Activities
• Our team went to South Africa for BAJA competition in 2009. I was responsible for transmission and brake design together with the costing and budgeting of the project. We won 3rd Prize in Cost category and were adjudged 4th in feasibility of mass production and 7th in overall design report.
• Won 2nd Prize in Business plan competition at National level.
• Participated and Won in many competitions organized in the college at National level (Approx 8)
Extra – Curricular Activities
• Participated in a two day National Service Scheme camp in Tamil Nadu as a special police officer for the local body election and received appreciation and a certificate from the Superintendant of Police, Kanchipuram.
• Organized many National level cultural and technical fests in college and also served as the Board member of SAE collegiate club. (6 to 7)
• Was the Head boy of our School and in the process organized many events.
• Involved in social work via various NGO’s like Teach India, Tarumitra and Essar Foundation

Post MBA – I would like to work in consultancy services

Questions
I need scholarship as I do not want to put in a lot of money. I wont mind sacrificing ranks for scholarship. Any suggestions for schools?

First Attempt 710 - first-attempt-141273.html

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GPA: 3.5

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 23

Re: Ask MBA Crystal Ball - Indian Candidates [#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2012, 14:08
Hi,
I graduated from Mumbai University with a "First Class" (BE)

Should I explain the KT/ Pass Class?

Thanks!

Last edited by rohitbizschool on 20 Jan 2013, 18:03, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Ask MBA Crystal Ball - Indian Candidates [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2012, 07:59
GPA calculators for Percentage to GPA conversion: A How to guide

In India, the majority of the institutions use either percentage or grade as a method of assessment. A few premier institutions like IITs, NITs have their own grading system. Students applying to universities outside India would be familiar with the GPA scale.

In this post, MBA Crystal Ball provides some perspectives on the GPA scale and its implications for an Indian student planning to study abroad...Read More

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Ask MBA Crystal Ball - Indian Candidates [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2012, 08:02
MIT SCM Course (MLOG) – Supply Chain Management, anyone?

The MIT Supply Chain Management (SCM) course, formerly known as MLOG, combines two lethal components – the strong Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) brand and one of the key disciplines that the brand is known for – Supply Chain Management (SCM).

Satya Dhavala already had an MBA in Operations from the Indian Institute of Science (IISc). Like many who’ve jumped into their first MBA course early, Satya soon felt the need for another degree that would open up global opportunities.

He tried his hand at the top MBA programs, but without luck. He then explored the option of gaining a specialty degree in a niche area. The MIT SCM course (MLOG) seemed to be the perfect choice for his career goals...Read More

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Profile Evaluation - GMAT 710 [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2012, 09:30
getgyan wrote:
Hi

I need your help in my profile evaluation.
GMAT Score – 710. Breakup was Quant - 49 and Verbal - 37. AWA - 5, IR - 6
I did my engineering in Mechanical (CGP – 3.6) – Passed out in 2010
Brief Work Experience (3 years by next fall)

435 posts...Ayyo! seems like you really spent a lot of time on GMAT prep. 710 is a decent score. Well done!

And even after all those posts, I see that you haven't gone ballistic copying and pasting your profile on 20 different consultant threads. Talk about focus :-)

Thanks for choosing our thread for posting this.

getgyan wrote:
Responsibilities – As an Associate Project Manager
• Preparation of Detailed Project Report for two hydro power projects
− Preparation of Hydrology report, Capacity Optimization, Project Scheduling, Technical Design, and Plant Economics
• Preparation of Pre-feasibility report for thermal projects in Africa
− Plot Plan, Land Requirements, Fuel Requirements, Water and Thermal Balance Diagram, and Project Scheduling

You'll probably lose the admissions officer here. There are too many tech terms that the MBA application reviewer may have no clue about.

getgyan wrote:
Educational Achievements

You've got some nice stuff in here. But be careful that this section doesn't hijack your primary story, if you know what I mean.

getgyan wrote:
Post MBA – I would like to work in consultancy services

'Consultancy services' is too vague. It could apply to any industry and any role.

You'll need to drill down further. Are you looking at strategy consulting? If so, ensure that you make that clear in the essays.

getgyan wrote:
I need scholarship as I do not want to put in a lot of money. I wont mind sacrificing ranks for scholarship. Any suggestions for schools?
I'm afraid I can't randomly list down schools, as our school recommendation process is part of a bigger and more structured application strategy process (we call it the MBA MAP). It takes into consideration many more aspects.

You'd be a good candidate for the MBA MAP. Check it out and see if that would interest you.

It does help that your profile is a little hat-ke considering the Indian applicant pool. Though it always helps to have a higher GMAT score, it generally is never the primary differentiator for Indian applicants. Your experience will be slightly on the lower side. So I'd be keen to see how you'd highlight the quality of your contributions.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Profile Evaluation - GMAT 710 [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2012, 10:36
ISB YLP Young Leaders Program

ISB YLP (Young Leaders Program) has an unsual format. While the regular PGP program at ISB Hyderabad & Mohali requires a minimum of 2 years work experience, the ISB YLP programs opens its doors to freshers (i.e. those with no work-ex).

But it is not a short cut for the selected applicants. All it offers is a guaranteed seat in the regular PGP batch after a couple of years. In this post we evaluate the ISB YLP, probably the best MBA option for freshers that considers GMAT scores, as opposed to CAT percentile for admissions...Read More

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Ask MBA Crystal Ball - Indian Candidates [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2012, 10:42
Executive MBA vs MBA for Executives – The Big Indian Confusion

In India, mention ‘Executive MBA’ to an MBA aspirant and ask him how it differs from an ‘MBA for executives’. The odds are high that you’ll end up confusing your friend. And not without reason. Several popular post-graduate management courses offered by our IIM clan (Indian Institutes of Management) have the word executive in them.

So, we’ve got IIMA PGPX (Post Graduate Programme for Executives at IIM Ahmedabad), EPGP (Executive PGP in Management) offered by IIM Bangalore and IIM Indore, PGPex (Executive PGP at IIM Calcutta and IIM Shillong). But these courses, in the technical sense, are not the same as an Executive MBA.

The terms ‘MBA’ and ‘Executive MBA’ might be clear to folks outside India. But back home, the concept of an MBA aimed at experienced professionals (or ‘executives’) is relatively new. In this post, we try to address the difference between the traditional Indian MBA, the traditional executive MBA and the not so traditional new-kid-on-the-block – the MBA for executives in India...Read More

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Ask MBA Crystal Ball - Indian Candidates [#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2012, 11:17
CNN IBN Live hosts Sameer Kamat

When: Friday 7th Dec

Time: 1 pm - 2 pm IST.

Where: CNN IBN Live Chat room (Click on the link)

Topic: MBA Book - Beyond The MBA Hype

Synopsis:

Most Indian MBA applicants are completely at sea when it comes to approaching international education opportunities. This is primarily because the MBA selection process and the parameters considered by the top business schools abroad for admitting candidates into their fold are very different from what we are used to.

'Beyond the MBA Hype' talks about the typical issues, challenges and dilemmas that Indian applicants grapple with when it comes to international MBA programmes – from the typical candidate profile to the selection and admission process, to what to expect in the course itself as well as after completing MBA.

If you have queries about any of these aspects, please join in for the Live chat session. If you aren't able to make it for the live session, post your queries any time before the session begins and check back later.

I hope to interact with you soon.

Intern
Intern
Schools: YLP '16

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: Ask MBA Crystal Ball - Indian Candidates [#permalink] New post 10 Dec 2012, 23:05
Deleted

Last edited by ujjawal13 on 19 Feb 2014, 17:01, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

USA MBA accepting 15 years of education from Indian universi [#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2013, 00:08
USA MBA accepting 15 years of education from Indian universities

Many US business schools and top universities expect applicants to have completed 16 as opposed to 15 years of education. In India, part from fields such as engineering, medicine and architecture, graduation in many popular disciplines require 15 years of education. This post is for those MBA aspirants who have completed their graduation in India in science, arts, commerce or any undergraduate stream that follows a 12+3 pattern.

These candidates may have landed a great job or successfully launched their own venture or made it big with their family business, so never considered studying further. Should a three years bachelor’s degree (or 15 years of formal education) act as a deterrent while applying for an MBA abroad? ...Read More

USA MBA accepting 15 years of education from Indian universi   [#permalink] 12 Jan 2013, 00:08